Code of Conduct

Default HELP! Thierry Mugler Ice*Men run-down

Hi, guys! I'm planning to buy Thierry Mugler Ice*Men for a friend of mine but I don't know whether he'll like it or not because I heard that Thierry Mugler's fragrances is a bit hard to wear.
    Because the fragrance is not presented in my country so I have to buy it overseas. Therefore I cannot have a smell at it but it would make him one of a very few people who have this fragrance in my country and I bet he'll like that part! Plus my country is a tropical country so I think A*men is a bit too strong. Thierry Mugler used to try to enter my country's market with A*Men and Angel but the sell wasn't too good. Now they only sell Angel at Duty Free shop in the airport.
    Many of my friend's favorites are Wood Aromatic such as Euphoria, Obsession, Eternity, In2U Pop, Hugo Boss Energize, etc.
    He really really HATES aquatic scents like Bvlgari Aqva, Aqva Marine, Acqva di gio, CK 1 summer 2008. He considers it too feminine.
    He especially hates CK Truth because the pepper smell is too overwhelming.
    I've read in some comment here that ICE*MEN smell like BenGay. Strange enough, if it is true then my friend would really love it! He really like the smell of BenGay!
    Can any of you guys who own Thierry Mugler Ice*Men give me a run-down and suggestions about the fragrance. Does it smell like any other mainstream fragrances?
    I'm not so good with fragrance though, all of mine are CK's.
    Please! I really need your help!

Default Re: HELP! Thierry Mugler Ice*Men run-down

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Hi, guys! I'm planning to buy Thierry Mugler Ice*Men for a friend of mine but I don't know whether he'll like it or not because I heard that Thierry Mugler's fragrances is a bit hard to wear.
    Because the fragrance is not presented in my country so I have to buy it overseas. Therefore I cannot have a smell at it but it would make him one of a very few people who have this fragrance in my country and I bet he'll like that part! Plus my country is a tropical country so I think A*men is a bit too strong. Thierry Mugler used to try to enter my country's market with A*Men and Angel but the sell wasn't too good. Now they only sell Angel at Duty Free shop in the airport.
    Many of my friend's favorites are Wood Aromatic such as Euphoria, Obsession, Eternity, In2U Pop, Hugo Boss Energize, etc.
    He really really HATES aquatic scents like Bvlgari Aqva, Aqva Marine, Acqva di gio, CK 1 summer 2008. He considers it too feminine.
    He especially hates CK Truth because the pepper smell is too overwhelming.
    I've read in some comment here that ICE*MEN smell like BenGay. Strange enough, if it is true then my friend would really love it! He really like the smell of BenGay!
    Can any of you guys who own Thierry Mugler Ice*Men give me a run-down and suggestions about the fragrance. Does it smell like any other mainstream fragrances?
    I'm not so good with fragrance though, all of mine are CK's.
    Please! I really need your help!
    Have you read the reviews on it? http://www.basenotes.net/ID26127144.html would be a good place to start. I personally like it, but some days the patchoulli note is a bit much.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Have you read the reviews on it? http://www.basenotes.net/ID26127144.html would be a good place to start. I personally like it, but some days the patchoulli note is a bit much.
    Yes I did, that's where I get the "BenGay" from. However, I still really can't tell, I did make mistake with CK one summer 2008 which opens really fresh and enjoyable but the dry down unbearably sweet, floral and feminine. By the way, is this scent is more the sweet side or the spicy side? And does the BenGay smell-a-like true?
    Last edited by jasonx; 24th February 2009 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Yes I did, that's where I get the "BenGay" from. However, I still really can't tell, I did make mistake with CK one summer 2008 which opens really fresh and enjoyable but the dry down unbearably sweet, floral and feminine. By the way, is this scent is more the sweet side or the spicy side? And does the BenGay smell-a-like true?
    It is more like an A*Men light than a muscle rub (Ice Men is actually re-bottled and re-named A*Men Summer Flash). As I said in my review, its sweet, like iced-coffee, however if your friend doesnt like patchoulli (it smells like clean dirt) accords then stay away. The 'ben gay' / muscle rub smell is probably from whatever ingredient they add into it to make it 'icy' - just like the methyl salicate / menthol thats in many muscle rubs.

So far I havent encountered anything else with the same BenGay smell as Ice*Men.

CK One Summer 08 I find needs a bit of body heat to make it 'work' on a guy, otherwise it defaults to a more floral fragrance.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Ice Men = Iced coffee to my nose.

Doesn't smell like Ben Gay, that's just silly... it's a spiced, light coffee accord with a pathchouli base, though the patchouli is not overwhelming. I think it's one of the more unique summer fragrances and much better than all the 'fresh' garbage that's out there. I'm not sure it's particularly 'woody', but it certainly can be worn in hot weather - in fact that's where it shines.

It strikes me that when you're making a blind buy for a friend as a gift, they'll be understanding if it's not the most perfect fragrance. Regardless, IceMen is pretty good.

I would not buy any Thierry Mugler scent for another person unless they have tried it and stated they liked it.

All of this scents with the exclusion of Cologne need to tested on the skin to see how they work with your own body chemistry. For example I can not wear IceMen for it reeks of Ben Gay on my skin and other have complained about the smell which I exude from it. Everyone skin is diffrent someone that smells coffee does not mean another one is going to smell the samething - scent is such a very personal taste.

Purchase for another with caution!
    Last edited by scentimus; 24th February 2009 at 02:21 PM.

I thought it was more of an Icy-Hot note myself
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

no icy hot or bengay here...what i got was a little iced coffee up front and a dry down that is sweet patchouli and a little musk and that is it honestly...very nice frag, imo...i hate amen, but i really like this one
    Last edited by jdnba; 24th February 2009 at 03:29 PM.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

IceMen is wonderful, especially for summer days, which're coming so close. I live in a tropical country, too. And I love Thierry Mugler Parfums. They aren't hard to wear at all, if you know how to wear it, of course. To me, IceMen is an interestingscent. Fresh, woody, with a little hint of chocolate note. It's strong and masculin, with a very cool bottle. IceMen has such a great longervity as well. Buy it, cause your friend will love it

Ice*Men is an interesting warm weather frag in a sea of 'smell alikes' on the Sephora counter.
    I owned it and just didn't wear it enough, but not sure why.

Thank you guys so much for your suggestions. I've just found a fragrance retail store selling A*men so I guess I'll get him to try A*men first to see how he likes it. Better play it safe

@chocolateguy: You live in Vietnam? I do too. HCMC to be exact. By the way, can I ask where you get your ICE*MEN from ?

So I picked this up as a blind.... Im testing it out now and a bit on the fence about it.

Im surprised people are comparing this to A*Men (Angel Men), as I find this to be much closer to B men. If I had to label or summarize this fragrance: B*Men with a menthol effect. Or it could pass as B*Men sport.

Top notes lots of menthol, something semi sweet in the bottom & patchouli on top

mid - lots of menthol, lots of patchouli, nutmeg --- this is like something that has two effects. You have Patchouli on the bottom, the Menthol on top, and something semi sweet in the middle -- but the Patchouli & Menthol are the strongest

base - nutmeg patchouli--background menthol hanging around but the effect is so minimal it gives it a fresh spicy musk feeling

I personally, do not get the "iced coffee" in this fragrance. Im a big coffee drinker both hot and iced and don't smell it or feel it.

This has a certain menthol effect which is why Im on the fence about it. I heard about the ice but I didnt think I would literally feel it. When I smell this close enough to my nose, for some reason I can sort of taste the menthol in my tongue and throat which becomes rather annoying to me. It stays and lingers in my mouth...hmm

The Dry Down on this scent IMO is its strongest attribute. I had sprayed once on the back of my palm yesterday -- and at first I thought it could be a bit too heavy on the Patchouli.... 4-5hrs later, this thing smelled like a different beast and a very interesting dry down, very nice.

Basically, it reminds me a lot of B*Men. Because IMO it has that really strong patchouli throughout and it takes a while to calm down and settle down to its best part which is the base. I think what takes away from the scent IMO is the menthol effect which comes off as kind of harsh but also synthetic

Blog Entries

I like IceMen a lot. I don't think it smells anything like Ben Gay or iced coffee. Basically, IceMen is a very light patchouli fragrance that is suitable for warm to hot summer weather. The patchouli is the dominant note, but it's not a dirty or hippie patchouli, rather a sweet, dusty patchouli. It makes a terrible cold weather fragrance IMO, because it's just too light to hold up in cold air.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I'm in the tropics too and ICE*MEN is great stuff. It doesn't smell like Ben Gay. To me it is like you took a light sprinkling of A*MEN DNA (coffee, nutmeg,patchouli, lavender) and made it volatile like gasoline. It smells like it is constantly evaporating under your nose. I suppose that might be a mentholated effect. I love that sensation and the aroma. Must be why I like the fumey MIDNIGHT POISON as well.I don't think I have ever been complimented on ICE*MEN but I really don't care. When I wear it I feel great and smell great all day.
    Beware: I am somewhat of a Mugler fanboy so your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy View Post
    I'm in the tropics too and ICE*MEN is great stuff. It doesn't smell like Ben Gay. To me it is like you took a light sprinkling of A*MEN DNA (coffee, nutmeg,patchouli, lavender) and made it volatile like gasoline. It smells like it is constantly evaporating under your nose. I suppose that might be a mentholated effect. I love that sensation and the aroma. Must be why I like the fumey MIDNIGHT POISON as well.I don't think I have ever been complimented on ICE*MEN but I really don't care. When I wear it I feel great and smell great all day.
    Beware: I am somewhat of a Mugler fanboy so your mileage may vary.
    This is true. The mentholated effect is not just an aroma its an actual physical sensation. Unfortunately, my nose is very sensitive (I can usually smell things other cant pick up) and I found this to be very annoying after wearing it for 1 day. The sensation literally burned my nose and throat, and I got that sensation all the way to my tongue, I could taste the fragrance! Certainly not my thing I am forced to sell it as I cannot weather the storm.

Anyhow, have you smelled B*Men by Thierry Mugler? I see you made that comparison of A*Men sprinkled with Gasonline, I think this fragrance resembles B*Men more than A*Men imo.

I don't smell the Mugler DNA in B*MEN until way,way along in the dry down. Until then it is very woody and rhubarby. LOL.
    To me ICE*MEN is very much Mugler from the get go.
    And Bachatu Man, I can understand where someone might find the ICE*MEN sensation annoying. I am kinda surprised at myself for loving it.
    And a note to the OP: Please steer cleer of another Mugler frag supposedly for hot weather: A*MEN SUNESSENCE. It is drek. A lousy synthetic "orange" potion that takes a long time to dry down to a smell of body odor. If it smelled like BO the whole way thru it would be a better frag. First Mugler frag I've tried that is just flat out bad.