Code of Conduct

Thread: Spice

Default Spice

Is it not a little odd, when one thinks about it, that people would want to smell like spices?
    Last edited by Frip; 22nd February 2009 at 05:10 PM.

AromiErotici

Default Re: Spice

Quote Originally Posted by Frip View Post
    Is it not a little odd, when one thinks about it, that people would want to smell spicy?
    Bijan for men is spicy aside from being a very good designer frag and fairly economical. I love spice done right....especially in colder weather.

Is it really? I mean, what's the difference between this and wanting to smell like a plant?

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaSa View Post
    Is it really? I mean, what's the difference between this and wanting to smell like a plant?
    Well, for one, a plant is not as flamboyant as a spice.

And for two, (though I didn't want to put the question this way because I didn't want it to turn into some sociological discussion) is that I think it's queer (in the literal sense), that men particularly would want to smell like spices.

I say this as a man, who SOMETIMES likes to smell spicey...and I still think it's kinda silly.

I'm primarily thinking of the more Chistmas, cinnamon kind of spices.

It's not odd at all. You like what you like. Wear what you like whether it's a piece of wood, a root, a flower, a spice, a tree lichen, a beaver gland, or whatever. Good smells happen where they happen. Sit back and enjoy.

Well said, JonB.

It's "queer" that men want to smell like spice? I've never made that link before. Have you noticed that some of the scents branded as "most masculine" have been spicy ones?

The history of fragrance book that was mentioned in a recent thread might give further insight as to the origins of such a phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    It's not odd at all. You like what you like. Wear what you like whether it's a piece of wood, a root, a flower, a spice, a tree lichen, a beaver gland, or whatever. Good smells happen where they happen. Sit back and enjoy.

spice is wierd but food is not?

If it smells good, wear it. within reason, of course.

Just a little odd is all. You can't say the concept of odd doesn't exist. If I wore a fragrance that smelled like rotting eggs, you'd think it was odd. And you'd be BOTH subjectively and objectively correct.

When I wear a spicy frag, I sort of think, why the heck do I wanna smell like this? Makes me chuckle a bit is all. The idea that as a guy I spent 100 bucks for Tea for Two so I could smell like a grandma's ginger bread cake.
    Last edited by Frip; 22nd February 2009 at 11:44 PM.

Depends on what kind of spices. Serge Lutens has some good ones. Chergui, I've heard. And Trafalgar by Truefitt and Hill has a lovely coriander note that I find appealing.

Some spices on the other hand make me wonder. Kingdom, for example, has a lot of cumin. Some people claim that it smells like the unwashed parts of a lady's nether region.

But if that's your bag, go for it.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder.. and there's no accounting for some peoples' tastes.

And where Tea for Two might remind you of granny's gingerbread cake it's bound to evoke memories of different things, places, times for others. I can't wear a lot of fragrances anymore because I'm too nostalgic - not sure if that's the word, but the olfactory associations are either negative or seem not to fit where I'm at in life at the moment.

Just a little odd is all. You can't say the concept of odd doesn't exist. If I wore a fragrance that smelled like rotting eggs, you'd think it was odd. And you'd be BOTH subjectively and objectively correct.

When I wear a spicy frag, I sort of think, why the heck do I wanna smell like this? Makes me chuckle a bit is all. The idea that as a guy I spent 100 bucks for Tea for Two so I could smell like a grandma's ginger bread cake.

AromiErotici

My rule of thumb is this; if I feel like smelling like a spice rack, I do. If I feel macho, I have the stuff that delivers. Light and/or floral, have that too.

There's no rules to this bro. I wear what I want, wherever I want and anytime I want to.

THOSE....are the rules.

I'm not talking about rules. I'm talking about seeing the slight humor, or oddity in something. Like men wearing platform shoes in the 70's. God forbid this was a shoe site, where I'd be sure to get a bunch of, "platform shoes on dudes isn't odd at all Frip". zzzzzzz. I guess you are all are so INTO perfume that you can't step back and grin. Your free-to-be-you-and-me ethos has turned into the humorless dogma of the True Believer. Let me tell you what else is a bit silly...that we want people to smell us in the first place!

I find it odd that we spend so much money and time on things that evaporate.

What are your theories on why we apply fragrances? Is it sheer vanity?

I'm curious is all. I think our associations on what smells good and what doesn't is quite subjective, to a certain degree of course. The smells of feces and urine seem to evoke a universal "disgust"

Many people don't want others to smell them, even some of the "die hard" fragrance fanatics... unless a lovely lady moves in close for a warm embrace, especially as a prelude to something even more exciting.

I'm not talking about rules. I'm talking about seeing the slight humor, or oddity in something. Like men wearing platform shoes in the 70's. God forbid this was a shoe site, where I'd be sure to get a bunch of, "platform shoes on dudes isn't odd at all Frip". zzzzzzz. I guess you are all are so INTO perfume that you can't step back and grin. Your free-to-be-you-and-me ethos has turned into the humorless dogma of the True Believer. Let me tell you what else is a bit silly...that we want people to smell us in the first place!

I want to smell a nice blend of spices. I don't care much if others don't like it what I smell like to them, generally speaking.

Let me tell you what else is a bit silly...that we want people to smell us in the first place!
    Generally, one doesn't want people and other animals to be able to smell us - at least, not as we are! That's one of the oldest concepts behind masking one's natural scent - if prey can smell you outside your striking range, you and your family/tribe go hungry. Then again if you smell ill, weak, or frightened, not only may you may not be a good mating prospect ... something else might consider you an easier lunch deal.

There are lots of ways to modify one's natural scent, some which are even more frightening to small children and other critters, and some which are fairly pleasant. On the pleasant side, the traditional deal with perfume spices is that local spices can be used to signal "Don't kill me, I'm not an outsider!" while nonlocal spices can be rare and expensive enough to signal "Yes I can provide for a prospective family should you like what you see. Come a little closer and let's talk for a while."

In the end it all comes down to "What's on the menu for tonight?"

I'm not talking about rules. I'm talking about seeing the slight humor, or oddity in something. Like men wearing platform shoes in the 70's. God forbid this was a shoe site, where I'd be sure to get a bunch of, "platform shoes on dudes isn't odd at all Frip". zzzzzzz. I guess you are all are so INTO perfume that you can't step back and grin. Your free-to-be-you-and-me ethos has turned into the humorless dogma of the True Believer.
    Uh- oh. Someone is having a crabby day...

I'm not sure, but spicy scents are my favorite. My guess why they are attractive is that they are an extension of the sensuality of food.

AromiErotici

I'm thinking you got this a little twisted bro. I don't care if anyone smells me or not. I wear frags FOR ME. If someone else likes it...great. If they don't, oh well.....

Humorless Dogma of the True Believer???? Bro.....you truly don't know me or you wouldn't have directed that this way. Frags are FUN. You're misconstruing the reason others may wear ( in this case ) spice.

Is it not a little odd, when one thinks about it, that people would want to smell like spices?
    I dont like overly spiced perfumes .... actually, the less spicy the better for me ....No spice is the best .... however some perfumes blend spices in a way that react with other notes perfectly making the perfume great ....

I like spicy, as long as it's "perfumy" spicy. I don't like to smell like a cake or a curry. I don't really like the smell of curry in any other context than an actual curry. Just like I like the smell of Zatarain's Crab Boil to boil shrimp, but I wouldn't want to smell like it.

I REALLY enjoy spice smells ESP that of the pepper in polo extreme
    really masculine I think
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Not really. Its no stranger than wanting to smell like another scent.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Let me tell you what else is a bit silly...that we want people to smell us in the first place!
    Actually our olfactory systems are set up just for that reason, and that reason alone. Only through the millenia have we evolved to the point that we want to replace our natural scent with a pleasing one, for ourselves and yes for others to enjoy. Each and everyone of us has a very unique personal scent and those with highly developed "noses" can perceive it.
    So truth be told it is actually sillier not to want people to smell us.
    Maybe people would make better life matches if they followed their primal sense of scent; i.e. were able to "sniff" out potential positive mates, as opposed to yummy smelling ones.

Scent has been scientifically proven to be one of the strongest memory triggers in the world.
    So if someone wants to smell of spice it is not silly, even in the rhetorical questioning of it, it is just a memory trigger or a comfort one.
    The fact that someone is willing to spend over a hundred dollars may be the true question, concerning silly things, but again if that is the scent that triggers a memory or a comfort zone, well it could be worth $1000.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source