Code of Conduct

Post Lanvin launch new men's fragrance: L'Homme Sport

Lanvin launch new men's fragrance: L'Homme Sport

April sees the European launch of the newest men's fragrance by Lanvin: Lanvin L'Homme Sport. The fragrance will be fronted by tennis player,* Rafael Nadal, who signed a deal with Lanvin's parent company, Inter Parfums, last September.

More...

Default Re: Lanvin launch new men's fragrance: L'Homme Sport

Hehehe.... the world does not have enough Homme Sport fragrances by now?

Let me guess: It will contain bergamot. There will be melonal, calone and dihydromyrcenol. A little vetiver and clean white musk and a tad of amber in the drydown.

Nothing new indeed. Get's a bit boring all those Sport editions.
    unico grande amore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    Let me guess: It will contain bergamot.
    LOL! First ingredient mentioned. I think that counts as a bulls-eye.

It does contain "moss" - could we hope for a moss monster? Perhaps there's still enough play in the composition to make it interesting.

You may slap me out of my incurable optimism at any time!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LOL! First ingredient mentioned. I think that counts as a bulls-eye.

It does contain "moss" - could we hope for a moss monster? Perhaps there's still enough play in the composition to make it interesting.

You may slap me out of my incurable optimism at any time!
    Re bergamot: And you know what RP, I didn't even bother clicking on that link to the press release.

I'm only a beginner perfumer but I knew what they're thinking down at the Big Six: "Oh, another Homme Sport brief! Let's overdose it with bergamot!"

Hope it will be as popular as Allure HS and Dior HS, because Rafael is the best face for a sport fragrance...

I'm interested. As long as it's done right it could be good. I hope it's available in a size smaller than 100ml.

I'll stick with Gio, or Polo Blue.....Cologne by TM.....Colonia by ADP.....Bonds Wall Street.
    Gary

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    Let me guess: It will contain bergamot. There will be melonal, calone and dihydromyrcenol. A little vetiver and clean white musk and a tad of amber in the drydown.
    Wow. Tough crowd. "Try the Buffalo Wings ... I'll be here all night ..."

Lets give this upcoming frag a chance before we pan it as just another sport edition. Smell it for yourselves 1st before making judgment.

Basenotes Institution

I agree that we should probably not totally knock the fragrance even before it's released. But I do have one gripe. What the hell are they doing with this image for the ad / marketing? WTF? It's kind of like 'what is wrong with this picture'?

1. What did they do to Nadal's hair? Looks like they teased it. Why?
    2. What is he wearing? This is a mens SPORT masculine fragrance. Nadal is a tennis player. His outift looks like the art direction was done by a 16 year old kid. There is nothing remotely sporty, sexy or flattering about what he's wearing. Nadal has a seriously slamming body - why not highlight it and use it to good effect in the ad photo?
    3. Where is he standing? In an empty basement? How does this tie in with anything related to the scent?
    4. The bottle is cute but in the picture the label is almost unreadable - they could've used a better photo of the bottle one with a crisper and clearer font. This is Graphics 101. Jeez!
    5. The ad copy from the press release reads, 'Top notes will refresh you with aromas of bergamot and lemon, adding aromatic notes of sage and lavender in a heart. A base comprises musk and musk. This fragrance is characterized as elegant, masculine and modern.' A typo? They say musk twice. C'mon people!?
    6. If I were Nadal I'd fire my agent that allowed this stuff to go to print.

I think Nadal is a great candidate to be a face of a mens sport scent. The guys a popular sports figure, he's good looking, he's Hispanic. But Lanvin is really screwing this up, IMO.

Want a good, sexy pic of Nadal, Lanvin!? Here's one to take a cue from:

Lanvin is IMO doing a very bad (and lazy) job art directing this scent. Thumbs down.

((end of rant))
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 26th February 2009 at 10:16 PM.

I've made a pact with myself. I'm refusing to purchase anything containing the words L'Homme or Sport. Lanvin fails on both counts! These last two years have seen just about every designer releasing a Homme variant. why can't they come up with creative names, by definition they are supposed to be highly creative people! YSL has confused everyone with YSL L'Homme and the older YSL Pour Homme to name just one example. Then we've got Guerlain Homme, Dior Homme (and Sport grrr!), Calvin Klein Man, Versace with a number of variants as well. It's just ridiculous. Enough already!

Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

Talking Re: Lanvin launch new men's fragrance: L'Homme Sport

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree that we should probably not totally knock the fragrance even before it's released. But I do have one gripe. What the hell are they doing with this image for the ad / marketing? WTF? It's kind of like 'what is wrong with this picture'?

1. What did they do to Nadal's hair? Looks like they teased it. Why?
    2. What is he wearing? This is a mens SPORT masculine fragrance. Nadal is a tennis player. His outift looks like the art direction was done by a 16 year old kid. There is nothing remotely sporty, sexy or flattering about what he's wearing. Nadal has a seriously slamming body - why not highlight it and use it to good effect in the ad photo?
    3. Where is he standing? In an empty basement? How does this tie in with anything related to the scent?
    4. The bottle is cute but in the picture the label is almost unreadable - they could've used a better photo of the bottle one with a crisper and clearer font. This is Graphics 101. Jeez!
    5. The ad copy from the press release reads, 'Top notes will refresh you with aromas of bergamot and lemon, adding aromatic notes of sage and lavender in a heart. A base comprises musk and musk. This fragrance is characterized as elegant, masculine and modern.' A typo? They say musk twice. C'mon people!?
    6. If I were Nadal I'd fire my agent that allowed this stuff to go to print.

I think Nadal is a great candidate to be a face of a mens sport scent. The guys a popular sports figure, he's good looking, he's Hispanic. But Lanvin is really screwing this up, IMO.

Want a good, sexy pic of Nadal, Lanvin!? Here's one to take a cue from:

Lanvin is IMO doing a very bad (and lazy) job art directing this scent. Thumbs down.

((end of rant))
    mike, i could not agree more - it's truly terrible. especially given that Lanvin's mens' pret-a-porter for this season (Lucas Ossendrijver under the creative direction of Elbaz) is wonderful, reinterpreting classic menswear shapes in a quietly decadent fashion, luxe finishes marrying synthetic and natural fibres in a pallette of sultry denim blue, urban neutrals and quirky natural pastels. and the same creative direction then greenlights this base, shoddy advertising? so poor.

i wonder though. given the current economic climate, i imagine many fashion houses need to find mass-market big selling products more than ever, in order to maintain profits AND continue their real creative output in their fashion lines.

just look at givenchy these days - finally settled under Ricardo Tisci, their fashion output is going from strength to strength (albeit whilst being at the forefront of the unpleasantly-thin-models issue - just have a look at the intro on their site, http://www.givenchy.com ); yet their fragrance marketing on 90210 (look at the placement!) for Very Irresistible with Liv Tyler is EMBARRASSINGLY facile, the ad copy may as well read 'buy this, and instantly become an audrey hepburn-esque celebrity with a paris hilton dog and screaming fans.'

but as i say, perhaps it's necessarily vile in order to support the truly worthy output. it's just a shame for us as perfume fans they don't launch a line of overly-branded men's underwear to support high quality fragrance releases!

(although yes, i would happily buy that - Nadal in briefs anyone?)

however i think the main issue here isn't the fact they're launching such products, it's the advertising. and you're right, it's utterly reprehensible.

N.B. 'musk and musk'? maybe it's a recreation of nadal's post-match odeur....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by itsthepens; 27th February 2009 at 02:59 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, itsthepens, I love Elbaz's creativity at Lanvin (when it comes to the clothes). It's incredible to see such a wonderful designer fronting a brand that produces such a crap marketing/ad for it's mens fragrance.

The musk of Rafael Nadal awaits you. Indeed.

Tried it today and liked it a lot. Despite the word "sport" in the name it is done not in the way as Dior HS and Allure HS. It's not lemony, but melony. Sweet and peppery. Longevity is above avarage.

By far the most nauseating scent I sampled this year. A watery-flowery mess.

Imagine lavender as water flower, with a tiny bit of gelatine from a fish's skin on it. Gross, I mean really.

This one has actually been a big surprise for me. An incredibly elegant and classy fragrance that's nothing like the usual "sport" fragrances. Definitely one my favourites so far this year.

The best "sport" scent to me is Polo Sport.....I'm tired of the sport launches....they tend to be weak anmd useless.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    The best "sport" scent to me is Polo Sport.....I'm tired of the sport launches....they tend to be weak anmd useless.
    Gary
    agreed!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

By the way, I do hate it when perfumes are named Sport. It sounds cheap and stupid. And, I don't like this Sport scent.

Anyone owing a full bottle?I have just ordered mine,based on my preference for the original Lanvin Homme (1997).And I am a fan of the "SPORT" genre...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Am I the only Basenoter owing a full bottle?
    Another blind buy that proved to be quite succesful.I think the Sport tag fits this one nicely.That's a worthy replacement for my beloved Allure Homme Sport,well,hold on,Lanvin is even sportier.Longevity is more than average,as per Allure.One may dislike this one, but its elegance/quality is comparable to the original Lanvin L' Homme,that is,hard to dispute...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Sur la Plage

I tried it at Nordstrom. Yawn..........
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

When I first read this thread I was thinking that they had come up with a flanker for Arpege pour Homme. When I hear Lanvin I tend to think Arpege. I figured it out when I did not see Iris in the notes. Might be interesting to see a well done flanker of APH. I like APH so well I have not tried Dior product. I like iris so much I layer Hiris with APH. I will have to sample Lanvin L'homme Sport but the notes don't seem too promising. I see I am rambling here...sorry.

A great fragrance. Worth every penny.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    When I first read this thread I was thinking that they had come up with a flanker for Arpege pour Homme. When I hear Lanvin I tend to think Arpege. I figured it out when I did not see Iris in the notes. Might be interesting to see a well done flanker of APH. I like APH so well I have not tried Dior product. I like iris so much I layer Hiris with APH. I will have to sample Lanvin L'homme Sport but the notes don't seem too promising. I see I am rambling here...sorry.
    It's a flanker of Lanvin L'Homme (Alberto Morillas 1997; top notes: mandarin, bergamot, lavender, blood orange; middle notes: mint, sage, pepper, cardamom; base notes: sandalwood, vanilla, amber, musk.) The flanker (L'Homme Sport) is much stronger and lasts longer on the skin, but not as balanced and subtle as the original L'Homme.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 29th December 2009 at 12:12 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I want to bump this thread for more thoughts on this latest Lanvin fragrance

More thoughts please ! ....and thanks
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !