Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Kelly Caleche: EdT, EdP and parfum

I was one of the Hermes fans who was slightly underwhelmed by Kelly Caleche when it came out. I think it was my expectations (I wanted it to be more leather prominent) coupled with the fact that I wanted a normal Hermes scent (not one of the exclusive Hermessence scents) to be great!

It was extremely wearable (even for a guy) but it reminded me too much of Hermessence Rose Ikebana. The leather smelled very faint. And the dry down was slightly 'girly' for lack of a better word.

When they released last year, the extrait/parfum I hoped that this might be a 'better' version of KC and so Ruggles and I (when we were in Palm Beach) dropped into a Hermes boutique so I could smell it. The SA's were totally clueless that the atomizer (the cute silver lock-inspired one) held different juice than the EdT...I think they learned this for the 1st time when I told them. They opened up a box just for me to smell and after wearing it on my arm all afternoon I was slightly underwhelmed. Mind you, I had spent the earlier morning at the Guerlain boutique so my nose was very tired and I smelled some beautiful stuff there, but the overall accord I got from the parfum was just TOO identical to the EdT to warrant the high price tag.

This year, Hermes has announced an Eau de Parfum of KC is being released (which is currently widely marketed as an exclusive through the French Marionnaud chain of stores). I've read that the new formulation is more than a flanker but rather a new concentration.

Has anyone smelled the EdP and care to comment?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kelly Caleche: EdT, EdP and parfum

I only just got to test the first version. was that EDT? It has mimosa in it I think which makes it pretty much a light-weight contender in my book. Even if they amp it up in a parfum, in combination with a leather accord, mimosa is a pretty weird combo. I got the sample to see if it worked at all. As far as I can see, it is just not a good concept. Too bad because most of JCE's frags are 1st rate. This feels like a corporate soup to me.

When I was in the Hermes boutique, the SAs told me that the EDP had some amber, less leather and more floral than the EDT. Less leather??!!! Right away, I wasn't interested in sniffing it.

BTW, I have the EDT and I'm still loving it.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I smelled this on a card at Hermes, but they didn't have samples and I had no skin space left so I only got a fleeting impression...and I didn't really have time to compare the EDT and EDP side by side. It was definitely recognizable as the same scent, but I thought it was a little deeper and less hesperidic (which excited me because the persistent sharp grapefruit was my only problem with the original).

I wish I had more info, maybe I'll try to stop by again soon and see if they have samples. An SA took my name and said he would call me when they had them, but so many SAs have said this kind of thing to me and never ever called....what is up with that?

Blog Entries

You are lucky they even stock it in your area. No Hermes for miles around this briar patch!

Basenotes Institution

I wasn't aware that the EdP was in US stores. I will make it a point to drop into the Hermes boutique next time I'm in the area.

Oh believe me Kumquat - having a Hermes boutique nearby is nice but they could learn a thing or two about customer service. Most of them I've visited including the one here in Bal Harbour, are blindingly snobby and pretentious. Great for sniffing, but if you have to actually interact with the staff they're so boorish and stiff lipped they even make Creed rep's look better by comparison. (sigh)

Actually, I've always been pretty happy with the CS at the Hermes near me (Boston) on the few times I've visited. Considering how out-of-place I feel even walking into a place like that, the fragrance people have been very nice, and I always leave with at least a couple of those super-generous 4mL samples of Hermessences.

Right you are, Sucrose !
    They're lovely, and I love to teach / make them laugh.

I didn't care much for the edt- but I feel the edp is better, and the parfum...
    I like it plenty, but not enough to buy it; maybe, in the heat.

The SA at the Rodeo Drive Hermes said they have no samples and she could not make one for me. She said they were "not allowed".

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    The SA at the Rodeo Drive Hermes said they have no samples and she could not make one for me. She said they were "not allowed".
    LOL! They always have samples, they don't need to "make them".

Anyway, I tested the KC parfum last weekend at Nordstrom and was impressed; it's not as sharp as the EDT, which I wore frequently last Summer. The parfum is not officially in stock yet - they just had a tester out, supposedly will be here later in the Spring, but I am interested enough to give it another serious test. Have not tried the EDP, but am definitely interested in that as well. There is something about KC that has grown on me, but the EDT just seems thin and high pitched. To smell it mellowed out is my hope.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Sorry to crash the party, but this thread got me to try my wife's KC EDT for the first time.

Leather!!! The soft, luxurious, well-used-handbag kind. Beautiful.

I suspect the EDP will not throw up the top notes as aggressively as the EDT (just like my Chanel 19 experience) and also that the EDP will be much better for the heart and basenotes.

From comments here, it seems the EDT will be the best for us guys.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I've smelled Kelly Caleche Edt.
    I like it, but it's not necessary if you have Rose Ikebana. Kelly Caleche smells like muted Rose Ikebana.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    I've smelled Kelly Caleche Edt.
    I like it, but it's not necessary if you have Rose Ikebana. Kelly Caleche smells like muted Rose Ikebana.
    I agree KC resembles Rose Ikebana in the aromatic, herbal, tartness of the scent. Although, of the two, KC becomes more floral on me over time. For me, the gorgeous leather accord in KC distinguishes it from RI. Do you get leather in RI?? I'll have to summon my RI sample and perform a side by side comparison.

BTW - You're the first Basenoter from Lithuania that I've seen post! I'm curious, are many fragrances readily available in Vilnius or must they be ordered online?

I thank people like MP for being way more on top of releases than I am. My experience with KC are more like MPs than other peoples'. I get little to no leather from KC - just a rosey/vegetal accord with the slightest - and I mean slightest - hint of leather in the drydown. Maybe I'm too used to heavier leathers to recognize the leather in KC. I have Rose Ikebana as well and I don't see nearly the relationship that others do, if only in that Rose Ikebana is so vibrant and tart while KC is very muted. I'll have to retest both side by side.

I really, really like Parfum de Merveilles and think it's quite an improvement over Elixir and a drastic improvement over the EDT (I own all three). I'd like to think that, like the Merveilles 'family', the KC family will get better with increased concentration. Of course I'd love to be able to get more leather from the composition, as I think the combo of rose and leather would work well if done right.

My only experience thus far with a Hermes boutique was in Boston, and the SA was very nice. I can imagine the South Florida area being snobby having spent a lot of time there. What? You're here to sample fragrances? Ugh, well ok if you insist..... There is a Hermes boutique in Houston about 80 miles from me and next time I'm in Houston I'm making a point of checking out the KC parfum (or perhaps at Nordstorms).

Another description of the EDT, EDP and Parfum at: http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/H...rfum-5520.html.
    All three versions are now listed on the Hermes site. The EDP is in the Boston Hermes, so I will have to try to get into "town" to sample the EDP.

bbBD: I can totally see how the leather scent could be lost to those used to wearing fragrance with more traditional, perhaps masculine leather notes. I think the leather in the EDT is very subtle. I love the smell of fine leather purses and saddles, and this is delightedly (luckily?) what I get from KC EDT.

I tried both the EDT and EDP at Nordstrom yesterday. The EDP has more leather in the opening and heart. The drydown is flowery.
    Evenstar

I agree pomander - I retested this morning, trying deliberately to let go of previous interpretation and open myself to what could be subtle leather (that is, before the drydown where I do detect subtle leather). I can see how the conglomeration of different notes could approximate a subtle leather. Overall I like KC, I find it a little too light. I really am hopeful for the EdP.

Another aspect not yet mentioned is the cost... what's the word? Generally there is a massive disparity between Hermes' retail prices and discount prices. 100ml Eau de Merveilles bottles retail around $90 or $100, while discounters have them for around $50 - same with Hiris, Eau d'Hermes, and the Elixir. What was the KC parfum cost, and was a 'refill' available? Again, the Parfum de Merveilles retail was absurd - $180/7.5ml I think for the pendant and around $100 for the refill (I got the refill online for much less).

Quote Originally Posted by pomander View Post
    I agree KC resembles Rose Ikebana in the aromatic, herbal, tartness of the scent. Although, of the two, KC becomes more floral on me over time. For me, the gorgeous leather accord in KC distinguishes it from RI. Do you get leather in RI?? I'll have to summon my RI sample and perform a side by side comparison.

BTW - You're the first Basenoter from Lithuania that I've seen post! I'm curious, are many fragrances readily available in Vilnius or must they be ordered online?
    I don't feel leather in RK, nor I feel much leather in KC

In Vilnius we have wide range of brand scents (Chanel, YSL, Givenchy, Marc Jacobs, Davidoff, Armani etc.). By the way, in couple of shops you can find Kelly Caleche Edt. You can find Mitsouko and L'heure Bleu just in one shop in Vilnius.

We have some niche scents: Bois 1920 line, Laura Tonatto line, couple of Creeds (the most popular ones).
    A small shop in the old town has Patricia de Nicolai scents. One beauty salon has Ecoudaray line.
    Couple monthe ago the shop named Creme de la creme opened in Vilnius. There you can find Anick Goutal, Comme des Garcons, Nasomato, L'artisan, Cartusia, Aqua di parma, Mona di orio, Miller Haris.

I myself buy perfumes mostly in London or in duty free shops.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    I don't feel leather in RK, nor I feel much leather in KC

In Vilnius we have wide range of brand scents (Chanel, YSL, Givenchy, Marc Jacobs, Davidoff, Armani etc.). By the way, in couple of shops you can find Kelly Caleche Edt. You can find Mitsouko and L'heure Bleu just in one shop in Vilnius.

We have some niche scents: Bois 1920 line, Laura Tonatto line, couple of Creeds (the most popular ones).
    A small shop in the old town has Patricia de Nicolai scents. One beauty salon has Ecoudaray line.
    Couple monthe ago the shop named Creme de la creme opened in Vilnius. There you can find Anick Goutal, Comme des Garcons, Nasomato, L'artisan, Cartusia, Aqua di parma, Mona di orio, Miller Haris.

I myself buy perfumes mostly in London or in duty free shops.
    That's great to know..thanks for sharing all that. I asked because I understand that Vilnius is a beautiful, cultural, and now I see, cosmopolitan city. I've always wanted to visit Lithuania (I'm half Lithuanian and have enjoyed learning about the culture through books and fairs), and ever since the country gained it's independence I've felt a deep longing to go there. Perhaps some day I shall, and it's good to know that I could entertain my perfume passion while there. Cheers!
    Last edited by pomander; 3rd March 2009 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Another aspect not yet mentioned is the cost... what's the word? Generally there is a massive disparity between Hermes' retail prices and discount prices. 100ml Eau de Merveilles bottles retail around $90 or $100, while discounters have them for around $50 - same with Hiris, Eau d'Hermes, and the Elixir. What was the KC parfum cost, and was a 'refill' available? Again, the Parfum de Merveilles retail was absurd - $180/7.5ml I think for the pendant and around $100 for the refill (I got the refill online for much less).
    Yah, I've wondered about that! Hiris retail does upwards of 60 for 50ml, but I got my 100ml bottle at about 20. And that does not seem an uncommon price online.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Yah, I've wondered about that! Hiris retail does upwards of 60 for 50ml, but I got my 100ml bottle at about 20. And that does not seem an uncommon price online.
    It is quite amazing. I've purchased most of my Hermes scents from online discounters because the prices are so much less than retail. I haven't seen KC EDP at the discounters yet though.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    ...What was the KC parfum cost, and was a 'refill' available? Again, the Parfum de Merveilles retail was absurd - $180/7.5ml I think for the pendant and around $100 for the refill ...
    The Kelly Caleche parfum is the same price as the Parfum des Merveilles, and yes there's less expensive refill bottle too.

I posted about it on this thread here.

Blog Entries

Yes but the silver bottles are super cool!