Code of Conduct

Default Yes, Size does matter

Right now, I'm finding a preference for the much bigger bottles. Not for the huge honking bottles, but for ones big enough to fit nicely in your hand, I'm talking about the 75ml to 150ml sizes, as opposed to the tiny 30 or 50ml sizes. For me, it doesn't matter what shape the bottles come in, square, oval, rectangular, cylindrical, even the art deco and guerlain'esque ones.

It's not because they are more cost effective per ml, but mostly for esthetic and design reasons. They have better scale (bottle body in comparison to the sprayer), they have a more comfortable to grip to properly hold while spraying and they look better displayed on the dresser. Even when I display a bunch of like-sized smaller bottles in a grouping, it still doesn't seem to look right.

Think about the display for Chanel Exclusifs in the stores -- the ones with the light shining up through them. The bottles would look silly in small 50ml bottles, if they came in that size. Or what about Hermes' Hermessence line? All the incredibly beautiful lined up bottles behind a glass case, they use the 100ml sizes. Even the testers in the high end drug stores use the biggest size bottles.

As most of us have multi-bottle collections, sometimes numbering in the tens to the hundreds of bottles (certainly, not me! LOL) and since there is a shelf life on fragrances, yes it does make sense to purchase smaller bottles, but I find that I will pay the extra for a larger size, then decant to some like-minded friends.

Fragrances are considered a luxury item, so I guess bigger is considered better.

What is your preferred size and why?
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Default Re: Yes, Size does matter

I agree 100% that VISUALLY the larger bottles usually have a much better aesthetic. Lined up next to each other my larger bottles look really awesome while the smaller bottles and minis look, well, insubstantial! In the hand, there are some large bottles that are very unwieldy, however, and hard to hold with just one hand (and I have big hands!) I think my ideal size is 50 ml. Small enough to use up in a year or two, a good size to hold in the hand, and more affordable than 100 ml or greater (though more per ounce).

My ideal size: 15ml to 30ml.

I used a 15ml purse spray this morning and found myself wishing that all fragrances were sold in that size. I have too much perfume in too many bottles (), and smaller bottles would make me feel as though I was using everything up more quickly/evenly. I'm a chronic undersprayer, so it takes me forever to get through a bottle. (Purse-sized d*cants of all my fragrances are also not the answer for me, because I like having the original bottles.)

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    My ideal size: 15ml to 30ml.

I used a 15ml purse spray this morning and found myself wishing that all fragrances were sold in that size. I have too much perfume in too many bottles (), and smaller bottles would make me feel as though I was using everything up more quickly/evenly. I'm a chronic undersprayer, so it takes me forever to get through a bottle. (Purse-sized d*cants of all my fragrances are also not the answer for me, because I like having the original bottles.)
    I agree Tang. I'm a self-conscious undersprayer-by-day and a closet oversprayer-by-night.

I find that I really want to display my true loves, the ones that I have purchased and use repeatedly. For example, my Samsara tiny 30ml bottle just doesn't cut it any, anymore. It's too small, but because it's my comfort-at-night scent, I'm willing to shell out for a100 ml bottle and it deserves a premiere spot on my dresser, along with the other loves. No matter how pretty the bottle. it must be a much-loved scent to deserve the prime "spot" and "big bottle" format. Same with my Chanel BdI and CdR, and my Prada Infusion d'Iris, I don't mind the 200ml sizes as I really love these scents and they are my staples. With my other staples (Jicky and Shalimar), I am aiming to get all three fomulations (EDT, EDP and parfum), so it doesn't matter so much which size I get. I guess these are considered my "foundation" scents.

With other scents, because they are not staple, I am OK with decant (or better yet, a manufacturers decant-size) and do not wish to even purchase that big honking bottle, the occasional spritz will do when the need arises. I have many that fall under that category

I'm considering purchasing No5 Eau Premiere, but only in the 150ml size, as it has the perfect proportions and I can see myself wearing it often -- so far, it's "foundation" scent-worthy and after I finish my second sample, I'll consider purchasing it.

I think that this month, I've reached another level in my quest for my ideal collection and found a new category for myself, the "foundation" scent.
    Last edited by dimples; 25th February 2009 at 01:39 AM.

I'm kind of torn here...like dimples, I adore the look of the larger bottles. I have the full sized 31 Rue Cambon and it's glorious. It feels luxurious to spritz from it, and the magnetized cap is a great feature. However, as lovely as it is to behold, I keep all my fragrances hidden away in a cabinet, so I'm really the only one who ever sees them.

On the other hand, I also agree with tang, small bottles are great for space saving ~ especially when the collection is growing! For some frags, I've also turned to purchasing extraits and perfume concentrations that come in smaller (VERY PRETTY) bottles. They are for dabbing of course, and some are .25 oz., but more than sufficient.

After all, it's not really the size that matters ~ it's what you do with it that counts!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    After all, it's not really the size that matters ~ it's what you do with it that counts!
    I...ahem...agree.

I'd be in heaven if all fragrances were available in 15 ml sizes. Then you would not feel "tied" to a large 100 ml bottle. D_cants are nice; but I do prefer the original (factory sealed) bottles.
    Last edited by kess; 25th February 2009 at 04:17 AM.

If it's a favorite that I apply heavily, bigger definitely better. Taller better than wider.
    Two bottles I like are the 8.4oz splash of Sisley's Eau De Campagne that I've screwed an atomizer onto, and of course the 6.5oz bottle of Concentre D'Orange Verte that come with the pump spray top. Creed's 4oz feel good in the hand also. Some 3.4oz bottles are large enough in the hand, like the 3.4oz Terre D'Hermes.

GF votes: slim 3.4oz Hermes bottles are just the right size

I agree that the big bottles are scaled correctly, especially with the lids. The smaller ones lose some detail in design, too. And the price per ml is better with the largest amounts. But sometimes I get tired of 100 ml of juice, especially if my collection is too big to use everything for years. That bothers me.

I do like the proportions and heft of larger bottles overall, and I could see getting a couple of "foundation" scents in 100ml sizes (I like that category!). On the other hand, 24,Faubourg is one bottle I definitely prefer in the 30ml size, because the 50ml fits really awkwardly in my hand. L'Artisans are a good example of when both the 50ml & 100ml size work for me, aesthetically, ergonomically, and economically.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I...ahem...agree.
    LMAO......

Blog Entries

I tend toward bigger bottles because of the pricing or value per milliliter. It's frankly irksome to me that I can spend $88 for 50ml of fragrance or $120 for 100ml (I'm looking at you Diptyque!). I know exactly what you mean about the Chanel and Hermès displays. The Chanel boutique in San Francisco has their Les Exclusifs scents displayed in a narrow passage between the front (clothing) and back (shoes/accessories) of the store, but it was very pretty. And the Hermès display in their boutique next door was breathtaking. However, I don't display my bottles either. I keep them in their boxes in a drawer. Size matters if I'm buying the fragrance in a manufacturer's bottle because of value, but I'm leaning toward acquiring more d*cants because I'm pretty sure I have more perfume than I can wear in my lifetime (and I don't even have that many bottles, comparatively).
    Last edited by Heartwood; 25th February 2009 at 03:55 AM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Bigger bottles, I have the mood bottles in 15 ml and I´m always worried that they run out quickly. Even though they don´t run out that fast I´m still worried that they do and I think I don´t use them as often as I would like to.

I do like decants though but I view it as a ´I have the perfume but not in fullsize because I wont wear it often enough´. I do like to have a purse size available because I like to re apply during the day
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I actually prefer the 30 or 50 ml bottles aesthetically. There is a pleasing incongruence in size between the body of the bottle and the sprayer that works for certain bottles (conveniently, the type of bottle that I tend to like): squarish, minimalistic bottles. I have a 50ml and a 100ml Diptyque and the 50ml wins hands down. I own a 100ml Hiris, but when I saw the 50ml in store I would gladly have exchanged it. The 100ml Thé Rouge, same story. Jil Sander Sun: I own a 30ml bottle, and it looks way better than the bulky 50 or 100mls. Ooh, and the L'Artisans: slender, elegant 50ml vs. bodybuilder, bulky 100ml.
    Especially designer brands seem to take the 50ml as default size and scale up or down for larger or smaller sizes. The 50ml often just "looks right".
    Last edited by Morgaine; 25th February 2009 at 10:55 AM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Although this is a bit off topic, I must mention how much I enjoy having a bottle of fragrance with a screw-on cap that also comes with an atomizing sprayer - such as Lutens. It's great to have options!

I used to buy smallest possible bottles because the life is so short to try all good fragrances available on the market. The argument "large bottles are nicer" is true but for me the content is what counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    I used to buy smallest possible bottles because the life is so short to try all good fragrances available on the market. The argument "large bottles are nicer" is true but for me the content is what counts.

Absolutly agree with you....I 'd like if all maisons of parfumes will offer travel size of 15ml of content...I like to change fragrance every day, a big bottle is really too much for me.....this is why of most of my parfumes I have simple decants of 10-15ml.....
    Last edited by Emifra; 25th February 2009 at 11:48 AM.

Typically prefer the 50 ml because my hands are smaller and they're easier for me to handle.

My favorite are the .25 oz perfume bottles with dabbers. It makes the contents look "precious" because there is less of it and the bottle / packaging is typically quite beautiful.

I wish more companies would make perfume formulations rather than EDP/EDT.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I think the bottle designers would really appreciate your having expressed this sense of aesthetics, dimples. You can tell when something is the original design and scale and when the other sizes offered for that same frag are best-can-do rescale adaptations.

There is something disturbing about having a 100ml bottle of edt anywhere in the vicinity of a small bottle of parfum (Godzilla vs Bambi), so I do group or isolate bottles based on their mass.

Another under-applier here. Although Daughter argued I overdid the J-L Scherrer yesterday.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

As a bottle collector, all bottle sizes matter.

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    I'd be in heaven if all fragrances were available in 15 ml sizes. Then you would not feel "tied" to a large 100 ml bottle. D_cants are nice; but I do prefer the original (factory sealed) bottles.
    I absolutely agree! 15 ml would be perfect.

Size does matter indeed, take a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsvsRZhNVp4

I KNEW IT !!!!
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 25th February 2009 at 09:20 PM.

--------
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 25th February 2009 at 09:32 PM.

I agree. Size matters. I tend to go for the default 50ml...and minis cuz they're just so darn cute. I don't like bigger bottles. They take too much space, too much money. They are clumsy for me to handle. Most of all, though, I just can't stand a perfume bottle that looks 'mostly empty.'

It makes me anxious.
    Last edited by Shycat; 25th February 2009 at 10:45 PM.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Blog Entries

It sounds like more people buy the 50 ml. size. So presumably there would be a higher turnover rate for 50 ml. bottles, and the perfume would be fresher. Not sure if the difference would be significant, though.

The topic hits home as I'm on the verge of placing an order for L'Artisan Mimosa Pour Moi from Beautycafe.com and find myself wondering how long the different size bottles might have been sitting there in stock. (I wonder how their turnover rate is for L'Artisan scents in general?)

EDIT: Meh. I ended up ordering the 100 ml!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 26th February 2009 at 04:28 AM.

Basenotes Plus

My favorite bottle to use is the Chanel #5 Eau Premiere. It fits my hand perfectly unlike the Les Exclusifs which are a lot heftier. Kudo's for the magnetic cap though, as others have mentioned. I also really like using both the 50ml & the 100ml size bottles of L'Artisan's regular line. The larger more round bottles in L'Artisan such as Jatamansi are horrible to use. As a result, I tend not to reach for the fragrance as much. It's a shame too because it's a lovely fragrance.
    I love the older Guerlain edp bottles but do not like the size of the opening of the pure parfums. Much too big, allows for way too much evaporation. Chanel parfum bottles are much better designed. The newer Guerlain bottles for edp are pretty hideous, especially the ones with the bulb atomizers. The juice evaporates so fast in those bottles. I won't buy them for that reason alone.
    The Poison bottles are fun to use but I'm not "into the line as much as I one was.
    The Robert Piguet bottles are classic & very well designed. The edp atomizers work well & the parfum openings aren't too big. The black glass protects the juice from the light....overall well done.
    And, even though I do enjoy wearing many of the Bond No 9 scents, I find their bottles very difficult to hold. It's only because of the shape of the bottle, nothing else, especially the larger one. Since those are the most economical, that's what I own. It's annoying.
    If I were to rate lines overall I'd have to give 1st place to Chanel for both varity of products & the number of products I enjoy using due to their design. 2nd place would go to Robert Piguet for consistency & 3rd place to L'Artisan for messing up with those big honking bottles I can't hold with one hand.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I like smaller, sleeker bottles
    simply because they don't take
    as much space
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    My favorite bottle to use is the Chanel #5 Eau Premiere. It fits my hand perfectly unlike the Les Exclusifs which are a lot heftier. Kudo's for the magnetic cap though, as others have mentioned. I also really like using both the 50ml & the 100ml size bottles of L'Artisan's regular line. The larger more round bottles in L'Artisan such as Jatamansi are horrible to use. As a result, I tend not to reach for the fragrance as much. It's a shame too because it's a lovely fragrance.
    I love the older Guerlain edp bottles but do not like the size of the opening of the pure parfums. Much too big, allows for way too much evaporation. Chanel parfum bottles are much better designed. The newer Guerlain bottles for edp are pretty hideous, especially the ones with the bulb atomizers. The juice evaporates so fast in those bottles. I won't buy them for that reason alone.
    The Poison bottles are fun to use but I'm not "into the line as much as I one was.
    The Robert Piguet bottles are classic & very well designed. The edp atomizers work well & the parfum openings aren't too big. The black glass protects the juice from the light....overall well done.
    And, even though I do enjoy wearing many of the Bond No 9 scents, I find their bottles very difficult to hold. It's only because of the shape of the bottle, nothing else, especially the larger one. Since those are the most economical, that's what I own. It's annoying.
    If I were to rate lines overall I'd have to give 1st place to Chanel for both varity of products & the number of products I enjoy using due to their design. 2nd place would go to Robert Piguet for consistency & 3rd place to L'Artisan for messing up with those big honking bottles I can't hold with one hand.
    For functionality, I too like the Chanels, especially the Eau Premiere or the older 100ml rectagular shaped bottles, I think it's the width of the rectangular bottle which makes for a better grip. This sentiment is also echo'd in the Guerlain gold canisters, they're so easy to handle, or the Hermes bottles, again the grip is good. Other bottle shapes worth mentioning is is rounded, oval or pear shaped ones, like SJP Lovely, I like the curves on them. Funny enough, I like the L'Artisan 100ml sizes, both for display and for handling, the six sided bottle looks and feels luxurious.

From a design and display standpoint, I like:
    - Chanel for the simplicity
    - Guerlain for the variation and themes
    - Lutens, Hermes and L'Artisan for the consistency in bottle shape

but they must be the BIGGER bottles, LOL

I really do not like Malle - too utilitarian, nor do I like the cutesy ones. Perfumery is serious business.

I have large hands and long fingers, but those 100ml Bond No. 9 bottles are still too unwieldy for me.

My favorite size is 30 to 50 ml, and like Shycat I can't stand the sight of half empty bottles in bigger sizes. I prefer the original bottles and I like the ones intricately designed.

100 ml and larger bottles are not that rare with me either, but I 'd rather have them smaller. 15 to 25 ml bottles are emptying too fast.

30-50 ml is ideal for me. 15-20 would be just fin, too. I wish all the attention to design went into smaller bottles. I 'm always very disappointed to have to buy 100 ml. bottles.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/