Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Morning Star

Default SotD - Wednesday 25 February 2009

Daytime: L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu
    Evening: i Profumi di Firenze Brezza di Mare
    Last edited by Astaroth; 25th February 2009 at 09:37 AM.

Default Re: SotD - Wednesday 25 February 2009

Good morning everybody I'm really relieved and happy today! Been so stressed the last couple of days due to the assignment I wrote. Well,now it's handed in. Sotd is Czech and Speake # 88. Really in the mood for a dark rose scent today.

Good morning all! I'm in VETIVER by Guerlain

Flower leparfum by Kenzo
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

With Love... Hilary Duff

Thumbs up Re: SotD - Wednesday 25 February 2009

L' Artisan Parfumeur, VOLEUR DE ROSES ( From samples )
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I'm in Narciso Rodriquez for her. (edt.)

A BIG thank you for all the birthday wished and goodies yesterday!

Have a great day, everyone!

Fracas EdP.

Wow so many nice stories yesterday. Thanks for sharing! Condolences to Pomander.

Sorry I'm late Jasper - hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Today I'm wearing the last of my gorgeous SL Fleurs d'Oranger sample over TBS Neroli Jasmin shower gel and lotion. I smell gooooood!

It is difficult to keep up with all that is happening here!
    I must really do something about my pc at home…

Happy Birthday, Jasper!

Pomander, I am so sorry for your loss. I admire your strength,
    I don’t know what I would do if something happened to me …

Tdem1961, you are right to be proud of your son!

I was really stressed all month and I am happy it finally ends!
    I must find a way to organize things better, because I am working all day as it is…
    Nothing gets done in work or house if I am not involved.

Sotd: Oriental Brulant – Guerlain

Unplanned sleepover left me with little choice (ahem, for BN standards, that is. I mean, I *did* have three decants to choose from...), so I went with Dark Amber & Ginger Lily again.

Pomander, just read yesterday's thread. I'm so sorry, my dear. But what a touching moment with your mother. Big hug.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 25th February 2009 at 12:16 PM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Today im wearing Creed Himalaya

From a sample. Not sure if I want to pull the trigger on this yet.

Basenotes Plus

(((((Pomander))))) I'm so sorry for your loss, honey.

Thank you lovelies for your kind words for Andrew xoxo. I am lucky to be his mother.

Sotd is Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Or des Indes
    Notes: bergamot, lavender, geranium, oppoponax, sandalwood, amber, vanilla.

Have a wonderful day, all!.
    Last edited by tdem1961; 25th February 2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: trouble with spacing and proper formatting
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Borneo 1834 and marching on!

EdPFM Angeliques Sous La Pluie today.

Brielle, I will send you some of them! Please PM me your address.

Angelique Noire by Guerlain

Yikes! Overslept!

From a sample - Metalys!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Today Fleur de thea Rose layered on Vintage tabarome by Creed Private collection

Hugs and much sympathy to Pomander.
    Bravo to tdem's Andrew! What a great kid, and what a lucky mom.
    Happy belated birthday, Jasper! Hope it was great, and that you continue celebrating all year round!

Today I've got a cold-weather comfort scent on (not ALL of us can be enjoying the wonderful sunny Santa Fe, SMM! ) : L de Lolita Lempika. Absolutely yummy. Thank you, Mr. Roudicel!

L notes: Gomphrena (a coastal-growing flower), bergamot, bitter orange, cinnamon, vanilla and musk.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Happy belated birthday Jasper !!!

biehl parfumkunstwerke
    Patricia Choux - pc02

desperately craving gourmands lately
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Happy belated birthday Jasper, hope you had a lovely time.
    I'll add my congratulations to the big and well deserved pile for tdem's son Andrew: both for the academic achievement, which is impressive and for the compassion to his friend, which is equally wonderful. Am I right in thinking that many people with autistic tendencies struggle to empathise with others? (If I'm wrong, please say and set me straight.)

Pomander. Big hugs and my condolences. Take your time, carry dark glasses and a hanky and don't be afraid to do what feels right for you. It takes at least a year to go through the grieving process, so be gentle with yourself and your family and be truthful about how you feel. And if you need us, we're all here.

I had a blast with my dentist yesterday - we ended up giggling about chickens. (Don't ask.) It was just a little replacement filling, so no stress and she did a good job. When the dentist asked me if I'd like analgesia I looked at her and SO wished I knew the Swiss equivalent of 'does a Bear sleep in the woods?'. She saw from my face what I thought and started giggling at me anyway as she reached for the big syringe of novacaine. (I am the biggest sissy in the world.)

Anyway, you've heard enough about my teeth, I'm sure.
    Yesterday I wore Love's True Bluish Light and was surprised by it, despite the slightly offputting 'stone' opening, I loved the heart and base, so I'm wearing it again today. AND I'm looking for your advice about alternatives to my adored AL Madeline. Maybe I should post that on a separate thread. OK, I'll do that.

Righty ho. Off to open a thread (ooh, makes me feel rather daring) and then do something nice in today's sunshine. Maybe I'll take Small out to plan the vegetable plot.
    Hope the sicky biccies are feeling better.
    hugs to all.
    x
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Dora, Quarry, Pomander...love to you .
    Whisperingleaves...it's been awhile, honey.Hoew goes it ?
    Terry - YAY ! You smell gorg.

[Dora- what a wonderful scent ! your day will be GLORIOUS...I hope !]

Last night was 'perfume alchemy night'...
    [Come ON, you know it well !
    You buy something cheap and blind that sounds OK- then you try to 'render it wearable and BETTER', LOL !]

Enter Ambre de Cabochard- on sale, very fruity, barely-amber with a decent drydown...
    Where's the spice ? Where's the amber????
    Enter Mrs. M ., ferreting at midnight through her capacious bureau drawer [ SMM is LAUGHING at me, right now...HE knows !], trying NOT to awaken poor B-
    AHA ! Origins Ginger Essence, a smidge of Memoire Liquide's Ambre Ancien- and VOILA !

Not bad.
    Didn't keep me awake, anyway.
    A good salvage.

ME WANT CHYPRE...but it's DAMN windy and cold.
    So, Mama's gonna do Shalimar.
    [What I really want- is to drown myself in Jubilation 25. So that I'm impenetrably stanky and deliriously happy ! Tant pis, old lady- quoth I ]

LOVE YOU !
    Stir crazy !
    Hate Frankenfootie, that friggin' troublemaker !
    Oh, well. Ranting feels SO much better.

I wants to go to Com Diva's, play with Maya, and bring my guinea pigs over to snuggle wit da buns...
    So I can be covered in a mess'o' hair ! Fur snugs !

May the day be painless and merciful, oh my droogies !

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Bond No. 9 Great Jones as SotD. Lots of greenery and punch for a day pointing directly at Spring.
    Last edited by kbe; 25th February 2009 at 01:03 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Pomander, my condolences but it sounds to me like you and your family did what we all should have the chance to do and that is to remember the good and find ways to keep our departed loved ones alive in our memories. That you were able to do it for your mother with a scent is extra special, I think.

Terry, I love the "It's just a piece of paper" response. Beautiful.

Chaya I am laughing at the visual that most of us wake up for a midnight snack standing in front of the refrigerator. But you my dear lady wake up for a midnight spritz and stand in front of your cabinet of many scented delights. The thought will make me smile all day.

I just notice Lian turned red. Congratulations on becoming a mod. Good luck in controlling the "unruly mob" over on the Male board. Bring a ruler.

I spent yesterday out on Canyon Road in Santa Fe. It is a road away from the Plaza which is lined with galleries whose specialty is outdoor sculpture. You walk down this road and then you get to see mobiles, and kinetic art and outsized sculpture and small pieces all with a clear blue sky and snow-capped mountains as backdrop. I had lunch at this restaurant called The Compound and had an entree called chicken schnitzel which was a chicken breast pounded flat, breaded and pan-fried covered in a lemon sauce and capers. I walked back into town and spent a couple of hours at the Georgia O'Keefe museum. I had forgotten so many things about her life and the museum does a great job of showcasing her life and talent. Along with my SotD yesterday of Bois des Iles it made for an almost perfect day of sensual peace. Oh yeah, the science is outstanding, too; but I don't imagine that would be so interesting to most of you.

Today I wanted some incense:

Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory

Bond No. 9 has made three Andy Warhol scents and while they all have striking containers in the style of their namesake only Silver Factory lives up to its pedigree with the juice in the bottle. Aurelien Guichard created Silver Factory in 2007 this was on the heels of Chinatown in 2005, which is arguably Bond No. 9's best scent. Here he chose to use an incense forward scent to try and evoke the experimental culture epitomized by Andy Warhol in the late 60's. The top of this starts with that incense note right out in front and combined with grapefruit and bergamot it is a nice start. In the heart is where the "metallic note" M. Guichard was attempting to create makes its presence known. Based on the note list I think it is a mix of violet, iris and amber that pull this off. I think that because there are times I feel like I get one of those notes but then the metal accord appears right away.The incense in combination with this is where Silver Factory creates a new feel all of its own and one which feels like an experiment Andy Warhol would have participated in. Cedar comes in and then there is a thicker resinous note which deepens the original incense note that has been present from top to base to finish this off quite nicely. This is a very good incense scent and for lovers of incense is one you should try.

Have a Wooly Wednesday everyone.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 25th February 2009 at 01:10 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory. Weird and wonderful, the best of the AW's so far.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Lian - congrats on your Mod-dom. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you

Pomander - welcome back.

Caps v. Flyers. ugh goes the Caps fan.

On a lighter note - went to Zaytinya in Chinatown for pre-game dinner last night. Jose Andres' meze joint. ScentBro - next time you are in town, we are going there. They have a range of Ouzo / Raki to try. And mighty tasty nibbly bits. Had Efe Raki for a pre-dinner cocktail. Much woodier than Ricard. Right level of dryness. Could be fun.

Last night's SotE - to comfort myself after the horrible (yet expected) loss - DSH, Sweet Dreams

Woke up craving Ava Luxe's Madame X.

I really need to wear this more often.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

From a fresh bottle: delicious and warm Tea for Two
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I just notice Lian turned red. Congratulations on becoming a mod. Good luck in controlling the "unruly mob" over on the Male board. Bring a ruler.
    I dread to think what she'll be needing a ruler for!!! The mind boggles.

Congratulations Lian.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Angelica is the undeclared theme for the day ... Twolf's wearing Angeliques Sous la Pluie, UBU is {again} wearing Angelique Noire, and I'm trying Profumo's Angelica Water thanks to Whisperingleaves. I like all of these angelica fragrances. Angelica is a great green note. I'm into the heart phase now of "the water," and it bears a tart, almost citrus-like vibe without being sharp. Mmmm, fresh, green, alive. This stuff would make a good splash to keep in the fridge for hot summer days.

Pomander, could you please share another favorite memory you have of your father? It doesn't have to be perfume related you know.

Chaya I am laughing at the visual that most of us wake up for a midnight snack standing in front of the refrigerator. But you my dear lady wake up for a midnight spritz and stand in front of your cabinet of many scented delights.

... chicken breast pounded flat, breaded and pan-fried covered in a lemon sauce and capers.
    I'll have what they're having.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Institution

Black Aoud by Montale layered with Avignon (Series 3: Incense) by Comme des Garcons

I mostly do not layer scents but these two layer very well. A one-two-punch combination that is more than equal than the sum of its parts.

I love angelica too Quarry - my favorite masculine featuring it prominently is French Lover by Frederic Malle.

Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint

I´m thinking Bandit and high heels Thanks for all the congrats and I think they are all sweethearts underneath it all..very good smelling sweethearts too Now I just have to behave too.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Wore SL Iris Silver Mist from morning till afternoon, but when I came home I changed into SL Daim Blond
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Dioressence, again

MPG Racine

Oops, wrong forum. Hope you gals don't mind.
    Last edited by ebear; 25th February 2009 at 03:30 PM.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Duc de Vervins, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme, Bentley Intense; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Go get 'em Lian!
    Wearing Manoumalia today from the sample giveaway at Les Nez. It's a bit heady and 'thick' for me. Must be the white flowers.

Molinard • HABANITA

Wearing Nocturnes today.

Pomander, my sincere condolences.

Wearing Amouage Gold pour homme -- I adore it; in some ways more than the femme. But overall, I still prefer the femme, though not by much!

I wore Eau Dynamisante to work today and am changing to
    Rahat Loukhoum this evening.

Mitsouko EDT (Guerlain)

Pomander: What an affecting, tender story of sorrow and hope. Diorissimo will have such complex and wonderful memories for your mother and you. Love, loss, and new beginnings. I am very sorry for your loss.

I am wearing Ambre Narguile. Don't tell my husband. I snuck off to the Hermes boutique yesterday.

Deepest condolences, pomander. I'm sorry for your loss.

Today, nothing but Chergui would do.

Pomander: Your story touched my heart. ((hugs)) to you on the loss of your loved one.

Terry: That was very caring of Andrew. They live what they learn.

In honor of Czech & Speake re-issuing Dark Rose, I felt I could spray my bottle with abandon knowing it is replaceable! Yay!

Enjoy your hump day, BN.

Spirit of Fire by Neil Morris Fragrances
    (Thanks for the samples, RHM!)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Blog Entries

Lian-- I truly admire you for taking on the moderator role. Congratulations and best wishes.

tdem-- Thank you for the story about Andrew. He's such a good, compassionate young man.

Wordie-- Giggling at the dentist? Did you self-medicate before you arrived?

ebear-- Nice to meet you! Drop in any time!

I'm scent twinned with Jasper today in Narciso Rodriguez for Her. Picked it before I even saw her post (usually I take inspiration from the thread). Sorry I missed your birthday yesterday; hope it was a great one!
    Last edited by Heartwood; 25th February 2009 at 05:12 PM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Congratulations, Lian!

SoTD is Dior Hypnotic Poison.

Blog Entries

Pomander, i would throw my well wishes into the collective wave of love from all these lovely people. Thank you for sharing that beautiful experience with us.

tdem, that story was so touching... Give the little guy a big hug for all of us.

Twolf, your work is so lovely... the heart and soul you pour into it makes all the difference. I'm in awe and thank you Quarry for showing me

chaya... you're simply too adorable for words... i join the leagues of your many admirers...

SMM, what a glorious day!! Georgia O' Keefe is a personal favorite of mine, and I can't wait to see that for myself some day.

oh yeah... perfume.. The last precious drops of my Infusion d' Iris...

I'm late to this thread again.

Wearing Un Jardin Apres le Mousson.
    I'm really digging it as it reminds me of Le Parfum de Therese, which I really love but which is too heavy for me to wear day-to-day.

I'm thinking UJAM is full bottle worthy.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    I wants to go to Com Diva's, play with Maya, and bring my guinea pigs over to snuggle wit da buns...
    So I can be covered in a mess'o' hair ! Fur snugs !
    Chaya, you and the fam can absolutely come over to visit the bunnies (I'll check the calendar for March), BUT I'm afraid you'll have to leave your guinea pigs at home, although I'm sure they're wonderful... I had a rather traumatic run-in with my niece's guinea pig many years ago (the niece's fault, not the guinea pig's, but nonetheless...) that resulted in a hand-surgeon neighbor checking me over, a tetnus shot and antibiotics. Nope, no guinea pigs for me.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 25th February 2009 at 05:54 PM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

J.Lo Glow for the Health Club

Pomander, my heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for your loss.

Today I started in Pure White Linen which really wasn't doing it for me. I switched to sample L'Heure Bleue which smells quite lovely and suits my mood much better.

I'm wearing Avicenna for a little warmth on this gray, drizzly day.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Welcome back Shycat, haven't seen you post for ages and I always like to read your impressions of gardenia fragrances!

For work I wore Tocca Touch, sometimes it is crisp/clean, sometimes soft/clean but always like a breath of fresh air. For evening changed to Penhaligon's Artemisia. I find it creamier than Touch but love them both.

I'm in Paul Smith's Rose today.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Shycat! Lievje!

Oh, how nice to see you posting again!!!!!

SotE/N: You won´t believe this, but I layered Fracas with Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon, and I smell (no stink!) beyond description...

Flora....Gucci
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Bulgari Omnia during the day and Annayake Miyako for the evening.

Hugs to all, especially Pomander.

Wordie, I'm very glad you're enjoying LTBL and even glader you survived the dentist in good spirits. Not many can say that about themselves (at least not the "good spirits" part )

Ok, just got back from today's work trip and I have had a tension headache and bad neck all day and I AM FED UP WITH IT. (Sorry, phew, needed to shout if only virtually).

Wordbird, I love your stories and the your way with words (what an apt username; what an appropriate job). Anyway, what I really wanted to say was: you're not alone in the sissy-club. I'm a full member and will undoubtedly whine again when my next test or whatever comes along.

Pomander, your story was beautiful and poignant and it reminds me of the idea I had a while back that we really ought to collect fragrance stories (these types of vignettes from our real experiences) and put them together into a book at Lulu.com.

My SotD was Le Chevrefeuille, which is becoming my "scent for when I take long train journeys".

SOTE: Chanel No. 19

a) Just 'cuz I want to.
    b) Just 'cuz I'm staying home alone tonight and want a comfort frag.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]