Code of Conduct

Thread: Layering Derby?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Layering Derby?

I've tried quite a range of tobacco/leather frags and seem consistently pulled back to Derby. At first it came across to me as fantastically formal and almost too dry but maybe I've adapted in some way as it now seems much warmer and to sparkle in some magical and wonderful ways. I love the stuff.

However, I've started to wonder what it would be like with a hint of something oriental going on. Is it bonkers to try and layer something together with it? What might work?

Or is there a brew out there which gets me there, or somewhere similar, without layering?

To give you an idea of my preferences so far, I've tried the following (in rough order of preference):

Chanel Pour Homme (this would be my regular brew if it only lasted more than an hour on me)
    Chanel's Cuir Russie (amazing, especially the skanky notes, but poor longetivity on me)
    Silver Mountain Water (a regular casual frag)
    Knize Ten (I bought a huge bottle as I loved it at first, in very small doses, but Derby has trumped it and it's so easy to put too much KT on)
    Tabarome (vintage) (mighty fine)
    Habit Rouge (at first too sweet for me but I've grown to like it much more in the winter)
    Bois de Portugal (love the opening but then it's Millisime)
    Creed's Royal English Leather (Bring the Bentley round, Jeeves)
    Creed's Cuir Russie (nowhere near as good as Chanel's)
    Parums d'Empire's Ambre Russe (meh)
    Piver's CdeR (one reviewer mentioned 1970's gay Paris and he was not wrong. Not my bag.)

Also knocking around have been Musc Ravageur, Noir Espices, Paco Rabane PH (my long time frag of old), L'Eau d'Hermes (really liked it, esp the clove, but for unclear reasons didn't go for it in the end), Terre d'Hermes (intoxicating but naggingly so and didn't mingle with my own scent), Himalaya, Acier Aluminium(portaloo awfulness), and Green Irish Tweed (What on earth happened to this? I loved it and then it turned sour!).

Have also tried a spritz of YSL M7. An evening frag I might put on my birthday list.

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Nezdelupe; 25th February 2009 at 12:42 PM.
    'There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, "Do trousers matter?"'
    'The mood will pass, sir.'

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Layering Derby?

It sounds like a very interesting experiment. I am just getting to know Derby myself. Have you tried layering with a small amount of an animalic musk? Leather scents often mix well with musk (as I found with Yatagan and MKK).

Have fun

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I will do some searching for something musky. Before you posted I ordered some new samples, including Yatagan, so am looking forward to those.

What is MKK?

I've also started to wonder if I might be a Guerlain fan and will investigate their oriental(s) - I'Instant, maybe? (Not sure I could pull off Shalimar.)

Thanks for replying!
    Paul
    'There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, "Do trousers matter?"'
    'The mood will pass, sir.'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nezdelupe View Post
    Hmm, I will do some searching for something musky. Before you posted I ordered some new samples, including Yatagan, so am looking forward to those.

What is MKK?

I've also started to wonder if I might be a Guerlain fan and will investigate their oriental(s) - I'Instant, maybe? (Not sure I could pull off Shalimar.)

Thanks for replying!
    Paul
    MKK= Muscs Koublai Khan (an animalic musk)
    Last edited by JonB; 26th February 2009 at 05:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried Derby with MKK, and it works great (as do many frags when layered with an animalic musk).