Code of Conduct

Default Strongest Bottles? Most Fragile Bottles? What have you dropped?

So lets hear it: which ones have you dropped (sometimes on your foot), with a cringe and a cry, only to find your treasure has survived its fall (albeit bruised sometimes), and what awful accidents have resulted in an inadvertently perfumed bathroom (or other room!) and shards of cleanup?

And is a broken foot worth a saved bottle?

I dropped my 60 ML of YSL L'homme once, and i was sure that was the end of it. It fell from about waist height, and im 5'11. I was pleased to find it survived (I thank the generous amount of glass on the bottom), but has a small spiderweb now in its bottom corner as a souvenir. DKNY be delicious i have also found to be EXTREMELY durable, due to its spherical shape (absorbs impact) and aqua, i assume, exhibits this to some degree as well (though im not willing to try to find out!)

I dropped a fake green irish tweed once, and that went to hell in a handbasket right quick. Im glad i have marble floors. Carpet would have been a nightmare...Prada's IDH looks like it would crack if you so much as glanced at it wrong, so much volume and such thin walls...

Default Re: Strongest Bottles? Most Fragile Bottles? What have you dropped?

Someone at my work threw my big bottle of Fahrenheit across the room and it busted on the floor. It smelled like that and made the mop smell like it indefinitely.

Do you work in the "seize and destroy" department at US/Canadian Customs by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Geekman1118 View Post
    Someone at my work threw my big bottle of Fahrenheit across the room and it busted on the floor. It smelled like that and made the mop smell like it indefinitely.

Penhaligon's bottles are very, very thin and fragile.

Candie's For Men, on the other hand, has a very strong bottle. Dropped that frag tons of times and hasn't broken yet.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydg View Post
    Do you work in the "seize and destroy" department at US/Canadian Customs by any chance?

Ah...anthonydg... you are so funny!

But joke aside, I too am curious as to why a co-worker would want to hurl your bottle of Fahrenheit across the room? Is he allergic to it or something?

Rive Gauche would probably survive a lot of torture, for everything except fire. L'Anarchist and Ungaro III are also sturdy beasts. I would also put my money on Body Kouros because of the body armor.

I haven't personally dropped anything except Rive Gauche. I don't mind though even if it is the strongest, I have 3 backup bottles.

The worst offenders are those Creed sample vials. Those will break really easily. At the Holt Renfrew near me, they said they kept walking on broken glass all day because they kept breaking and didn't have time to clean them up. Eep.. I can't even imagine that.
    Last edited by dynendal; 25th February 2009 at 05:06 AM.

I recently had the profoundly stupid experience of trying to open a Bond No.9 sample with my teeth. Crunch, blood. Fun!

Meanwhile, I'm thinking you could off Mr. Green in the Study with the Gucci PH bottles.

Sculpture - Nikos

My first bottle of burberry touch slipped from my grip and shattered all over my bedroom floor. HOWEVER, it was this event that landed me on basenotes-- and subsequently spurred my addiction; a true blessing in disguise!

Quote Originally Posted by Travtex View Post
    I recently had the profoundly stupid experience of trying to open a Bond No.9 sample with my teeth. Crunch, blood. Fun!

Meanwhile, I'm thinking you could off Mr. Green in the Study with the Gucci PH bottles.
    Dude, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has had to resort to biting open Bond samples. The caps are cemented on.

I had the original Third Man, which at the time came in a completely different bottle. It was a splash-on with a stopper. Of course I eventually knocked it over in the wardrobe and the whole place reeked for weeks. Turned me off Third Man for a while, but now (20 years later) I have a nice, safe, new vaporiser version!

Blog Entries

Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne has a bottle that will drive nails, as noted by Luca Turin. Dolce and Gabbana the one For Men seems pretty tough, too. Dirty English has some pretty thick glass as well. But my limited edition YSL L'Homme in the "test tube" bottle seems extremely fragile.

I once dropped a bottle of EA He and EA He Night and they both survived...however i have heard complaints of other people's bottles that they have been leaking on the bottom of said bottle...

I've dropped Prada IDH a lot & it seems more and more to be one of the toughest bottles I have!
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

I dropped a bottle of CdG Kyoto from about 5 feet. It broke. The bathroom is just now losing it's incense scent (about 6 weeks after the breakage).

Baldessarini Del Mar and Narciso Rodriguez for Men have the heaviest glass bottles I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I once dropped a bottle of EA He and EA He Night and they both survived...however i have heard complaints of other people's bottles that they have been leaking on the bottom of said bottle...
    I'd agree with you I've owned numerous bottles of the first 3 editions of EA (he, he white, he night don't like the rest) and they survived some of the hardest of times. Being thrown into bags, dropped on wood flooring etc etc.

Also in time I have owned 7-8 bottles from EA and not one of them had ever leaked.

Also to add on to this, I can't speak from experience but I cant even begin to imagine the feeling as you realise you've dropped your fave 80% full bottle of frag and it's heading straight for the floor.... does it happen in slow motion?

Coolwater bottles seem pretty tough. I dropped mine from about 5 feet, and it didn't shatter. The atomizer got messed up though.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Bvlgari Black survives a few drops, it looks like a puck and who knows maybe you can actually use it for that too
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Baldessarini Del Mar and Narciso Rodriguez for Men have the heaviest glass bottles I have ever seen.
    yeah they are! Drop one on your foot and off to the emergency room it is. By the way, don't know if you heard in my other thread, ( and I don't want to steer the conversation away from what we are talking about)but I have heard from several trusted sources that they are discontinuing Narciso for him musc. It's probably because it isn't as shatter proof. And it's also probably cause it costs $155 for 1.6 oz......craziness....nevertheless I have bought two bottles just in case......i'm crazy like that......
    Last edited by Maz24; 25th February 2009 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjreid View Post
    Also to add on to this, I can't speak from experience but I cant even begin to imagine the feeling as you realise you've dropped your fave 80% full bottle of frag and it's heading straight for the floor.... does it happen in slow motion?

an angel cries every time a great fragrance gets dropped :-(

I would imagine that Dior Homme bottles are pretty tough, there is a lot of glass goes into making those.

I can imagine the Montale bottles being fairly bullet proof too!

I have a cupboard with my fragrances in in my bedroom, which is carpeted and fully underlaid. I could drop anything in there and it wouldn't break!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I agree with HDS1963 - good luck busting an aluminum Montale bottle!

I can't speak from experience, but from the fact that everywhere that sells them has a warning about how they're packed due to fragility, The People of the Labyrinths seem to be like eggshells.

Banned

Creed's bottles are fragile, you drop them and it's the end. You think for the price they could throw in a durable bottle!?!

I dropped an armload into the dumpster out back once. No regrets for most but I was choked up over the Quasar the sweet saleslady at Perfumania talked me into buying. It was full and I felt obligated to use it after spending the money but decided I had to make certain I would never do so again.

They landed with a nice solid ringing thud but didn't shatter. You probably couldn't break that Quasar bottle with a baseball bat.

Actually, a fellow who used to work here came in one morning with his hand all wrapped up, fingers wired in place. When I asked what happened he said he was pulling a bottle of Obsession from the cabinet over his washbasin and it slipped from his hand. He tried to grab it as it hit the china pit but it shattered and gouged up his hand big time. Cuts to the bone!

Of course I feigned sympathy and all that while I muttered under my breath hey, at least it was only Obsession, and really, keeping fragrance in the medicine cabinet!

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Bvlgari Black survives a few drops, it looks like a puck and who knows maybe you can actually use it for that too
    I've actually played hockey with my Bulgari Black in my living room. It's durable enough to take a slapshot into the sofa... unfortunately, the sprayer isn't tough enough to stand up to the most pampered daily use.

Last month, I lost my entire 17 oz Comme des Garçons Vettiveru when it fell off my dresser and onto my concrete floor. It sucked. My room still smells like it. My floor is a constant threat.

I once dropped my Himalaya, but it did seem like slow motion as it dove for the floor-- and I was able to somehow grab it within an inch of the ground.

I've dropped my RIve Gauche Pour Homme several times. It's got a couple of dings, but it keeps on ticking.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I once dropped my Himalaya, but it did seem like slow motion as it dove for the floor-- and I was able to somehow grab it within an inch of the ground.
    I'd risk some serious bruising to intercept that one!

i once dropped the Amouage XXV (30ml version)..and on it's way down, it also hit the corner of a furniture...yet.. no need to mention - time stood still and my heart skipped more than one beat..like a DJ on Vinyl..

as for others..all seem robust and strong...i wouldnt know for sure since i take extra care of my scents...XXV was an exception..

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I've actually played hockey with my Bulgari Black in my living room. It's durable enough to take a slapshot into the sofa... unfortunately, the sprayer isn't tough enough to stand up to the most pampered daily use.

Last month, I lost my entire 17 oz Comme des Garçons Vettiveru when it fell off my dresser and onto my concrete floor. It sucked. My room still smells like it. My floor is a constant threat.

I've dropped my RIve Gauche Pour Homme several times. It's got a couple of dings, but it keeps on ticking.
    you have a pretty long list there buddy! no bottle is safe with you

Quote Originally Posted by Jklax221 View Post
    Dude, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has had to resort to biting open Bond samples. The caps are cemented on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travtex View Post

OMG YOU TRIED TO BITE IT?! A GLASS BOTTLE? how did that end? my goodness glass in your gums...thats awful. You're lucky you got it all out and it didnt turn into an infection or something! I have a ton of their samples and i just forcefully rock the stoppers side to side slowly as I pull it out, pushing against the neck of the sample with my fingers. The key is SLOWLY, otherwise you'll do that jerking thing that ends up sending airplane peanuts all over the aisle when you are on a flight, and this time the cleanup wont be as simple

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjreid View Post

Your heart pretty much skips a beat. My trick is to try to deflect it with my leg/foot to somehow interrupt its velocity on the way down, so when it hits it does so slowly.

Creed bottles are definitely not worth a damn, especially the bigger ones.

I dread the day that I accidentally drop one of my babies, hopefully it's one of my tougher babies!

I can report from recent experience that Dior Homme can take quite a shot and survive.

A*men bottles are pretty darn tough.

I had to actually use a big hammer to break one.
    Last edited by irish; 25th February 2009 at 08:16 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I dont know but Issey miyake bottles seem pretty tough to me
    Ive never tried others though lol
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    A*men bottles are pretty darn tough.

I had to actually use a big hammer to break one.
    Luckily I don't own a bottle of A*Men since all my tools are packed away. I'm not sure how I'd dispose of it, at least with the sense of satisfaction you must have felt.

I never broke a bottle, but I did have a bottle of Muglar Cologne in my gym bag in my car on a real hot Summer day and it exploded. My car smelled quite good for a couple of weeks.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I dropped Aqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. It was a 30cm (1 foot) drop on ceramic tiles. Shattered... both bottle and I.