Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile When the shower gel is bettah than the juice itself...

Today I received a big bottle of Mugler Cologne shower gel / shampoo. I love this stuff. I already had a complimentary mini, and the vetiver-like scent is just SO refreshing under the shower. It's seriously better than the eau de cologne itself.

What other scents work better for you under the shower, than the actual bottled frag?
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Default Re: When the shower gel is bettah than the juice itself...

GIT gel is awesome
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I have had the same feelings for M7.
    Shower Gel smelled much better than the original EdT.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Sisley Eau de Campagne shower gel is AWESOME.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

I think practically everything smells better in the shower - I certainly do!. The humidity and heat really create a fragrance cloud that envelopes your whole body. I've become a compulsive shower junkie since I started using high quality shower products!

Those I've tried and liked:
    Dior Homme - Fantastic!! Smells just like the fragrance. Equal partners, I'd say.
    Prada Infusion d'Homme - better than the EdT
    Eau des Baux - Definitely better than the EdT, for me at least. The vanilla is toned down considerably.
    l'Instant de Guerlain - I wouldn't say it's better than the fragrance, but it's damn nice.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 25th February 2009 at 10:53 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

For some reason I never believed in using these secondary products because I didnt trust the fragrance oils in my hair follicles (head and face that is)
    I dont think I will change my views anytime soon but who knows, this might just be the thread to do so.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

It's not necessarily better than the fragrance itself, but Kiehl's Musk body wash is pretty darn good as well.
    Last edited by curtis.w; 26th February 2009 at 01:57 AM.

Wink Re: When the shower gel is bettah than the juice itself...

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    For some reason I never believed in using these secondary products because I didnt trust the fragrance oils in my hair follicles (head and face that is)
    I dont think I will change my views anytime soon but who knows, this might just be the thread to do so.
    Well, there's enough fragrance stuff in your ordinary shampoo, so you're already livin' on the edge.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Agree with the vote cast for M7 - there's something about warm steam that really makes it magical.

Bleu d'Issey was kind of a clunky scent, but in the shower gel it was amazing.

Burberry Touch for Men, with its cool ashy violets, was another one that really came into its own as a bath product.

Rive Gauche Pour Homme shower gel, if you can find it. I wish I'd have stocked up when it first came out. Hard to believe, but it's even better than the EDT!

I like the Mugler Cologne shower gel very much and I think it layers very well with the Cologne. The L'Occitane verveine shower gel is very uplifting; I like it as much as the EDT but not more.

If you like Hanae Mori you'll go through about one of their shower gels a month. When I first got it I even used it for hand wash soap so I could smell it in between showers. On the opposite end of the spectrum sits Kenzo Pour Homme - the longer you shower with it the more you think another shower might be in order to wash all of this seawater off...

None of the shower gels have been better than the juice for me.. I might buy the shower gel to get an idea of what the fragrance is like, but I generally discard the shower gels.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post

Today I received a big bottle of Mugler Cologne shower gel / shampoo. I love this stuff. I already had a complimentary mini, and the vetiver-like scent is just SO refreshing under the shower. It's seriously better than the eau de cologne itself.

What other scents work better for you under the shower, than the actual bottled frag?

I know this fragrance has been a topic of discussion lately, but do yourself a favor and get the Polo Double Black shower gel. It's amazing! It feels great and smell awesome! And it doesn't dry out your skin either.
    Loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I think practically everything smells better in the shower - The humidity and heat really create a fragrance cloud that envelopes your whole body.
    I have sympathy with this point of view - certainly the heat allows the fragrance to come out.

Kouros was pretty good - but not quite a 'double' of the juice.
    Paco Rabbane was fantastic - and yes, better than the juice.

I have a Body Kouros that I'm yet to try; and an old Balenciaga pH that I'm holding onto.

Oh my god, I have turned into an out of control, shower gel freak! Bandit creme shower gel almost puts the EdP to shame. Can you imagine a leather chypre in the shower? I also am nuts about Patou's 1000 and Sublime gels - chypre scents are spectacular shower friends as long as they are not sweet.
    Creed shower gels are awesome, too. Erolfa made last year's outdoor showers on Cape Cod into pure heaven.
    I just bought Bay Rum from Bigelows.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th February 2009 at 01:01 AM.

BINGO

Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme. It's really nice. If you use it before spraying the juice, it accelerates its potency.

The Jaipur homme shower gel smells better, to my nose, than both the edt & edp versions of this scent. The shower gel is not overloaded with florals.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Molton Brown Black Pepper Body Wash pre-existed the edt by several years and is absolutely addictive. For some reason, they were unable to replicate the fragrance in a perfume.
    Also, Gucci Pour Homme II is surprisingly pleasant as a shower gel even though the edt is cloying and annoying. I received free samples of each and have only really used the gel which doubles as a shampoo.

Easy question for me: Kouros! The shower gel is out of this earth and if the cologne actually smelled like the shower gel, life would be grand. The shower gel helped me "understand" those who appreciate Kouros.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Escape Calvin Klein shower gel smells divine,I wish the frgrance smelled this good. It takes the freshest of the notes and does away with all the dry notes. Very clean and marine. God I wish I could still wear that scent. It was my first.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme shower gel, if you can find it. I wish I'd have stocked up when it first came out. Hard to believe, but it's even better than the EDT!
    I can confirm this. I only 'kind of like' the cologne, but the Rive Gauche pH Gel makes me understand immediately what the perfumer must have intended to create!
    Bing in it I enjoy even more ! After this experience I tried Rochas Lui Gel in the bath tub, but that's not half as enjoyable. I now hope to find the Kouros and Mugler Cologne Gels for the summer. And Bandit is 250 ml at a very good price. Oh wallet, what a mess we are in!
    Last edited by narcus; 26th February 2009 at 06:58 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I agree with "fool" before I'd read his post I was going to say Molton Brown Black Pepper. The shower gel is just a divine product and smells fantastic. Hasupk@gmail.com says that he doesn't like the secondary products, well in this instant the frag is actually the secondary product to the shower gel. I don't like the frag much at all. It hardly smells anything like the shower gel. You get a little of it in the top notes, then it just burns down to a creamy cloying sweet smell that I dont like.

I love it!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th February 2009 at 12:03 PM.

Bandit showergel, I had no idea it even existed. I must try it now. Damn you basenotes!!!
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Just ordered the Mugler Cologne shower gel from Beauty Encounter after reading numerous positive comments from multiple threads. I like the Edt, but prefer Creed's OV a bit more. Still it is a very refreshing, uplifting scent.

I have the M7 shower gel and LOVE it. I like M7, but I feel it can be a bit too much and I sometimes get bored with it. The shower gel still has a very wonderful unique masculine scent to it, but it is less heavy and very refreshing. I don't know quite how to describe it, but I like it a bit more than the edt. I just wish I hadn't broken the top off the container. It keeps leaking

New obsession: Encens Flamboyant shower gel. It's like taking a shower in the middle of a high mass. Shower gels make taking a shower fun again!

Blog Entries

Back to the original question, Narcisso Rodriguez for him shower gel is fantastic, but I really don't like the actual cologne.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Thanks to another member here, I recently got two travel kits that include the shower gel AND a big bottle (canister?) of the EDT for a pretty good price. I think I'm set for life
    - E.J.

I second the Eau de Baux
    and I agree with Ruggles, the Encens Flamboyant shower gel is great!
    Evenstar

Joop! Homme - not too keen on the fragrance, but the shower gel is a gorgeous vanilla and caramel delight - perfect for those wonderful cold winter days
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

I have a different contribution to this thread.

L'Eau D'Issey the deodorant stick smells NOTHING like the cologne and instead synthetic, generic, nausea-inducing lemon. It also has about the malleability of a brick, so, not too pleasant to rub it on your skin. Still gonna use it though. Money's paid. Ya dig?

Basenotes Institution

Must agree with Snafoo - the Infusion D'Homme by Prada shower gel is fantastic.

Has anyone tried Terre de Hermes shower gel?

Sur la Plage

I received L'Occitane Vetyver shower gel as a gift, and I really like it a lot.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Malle's Bigarade shower gel is quite nice...$$$ though. I love the Mugler Cologne gel...that would be my fav I think.

Yves Rocher also makes shower gels to match all their Pur Desir floral-line...haven't tried them, but they can be had for between $6-12, so they're worth a shot (esp. the Mimosa).

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Malle's Bigarade shower gel is quite nice...
    OMG, I forgot about that one. Just the idea of showering in something that costs as much as fragrances ($75 for a 200 ml bottle) feels guilty. But I'm sure it (and the Vetiver Extraordinaire) are wonderful. One can dream, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Has anyone tried Terre de Hermes shower gel?
    I find it as good as any. Someone somewhere made the remark that it would focus on simple notes of orange and pepper or something like that. I think that might indeed be the case (although it was a pleasant smell). No way it's better than the fragrance itself. I cannot think of such a thing in general. Neither do I expect it.

Where do you guys find these? My stores usually only have the colognes themselves, occasionally the deoderant with a gift bag.

Prada Infusion d'Homme, and Amber shower gels are fantastic.
    Guerlain Vetiver is great, nutty and crisp.
    Kenzo Power isn't better than the juice, but quite close.
    CdG2Man is absolutely fantastic. Not sure which I prefer, but to be honest when they shower smells that good I dont want to get out.

I find that most Axe fragrances work far better as shower gels than body sprays.

Off-topic: OP, I have your keyboard!
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by blacklibran1 View Post
    Escape Calvin Klein shower gel smells divine,I wish the frgrance smelled this good. It takes the freshest of the notes and does away with all the dry notes. Very clean and marine. God I wish I could still wear that scent. It was my first.
    I loved the gel but really disliked the edt for men

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    Where do you guys find these? My stores usually only have the colognes themselves, occasionally the deoderant with a gift bag.
    Go online to one of the discounters like beautyencounter.com and do a search. Shower gels are almost always heavily discounted and using the shower gel of something you already like is quite a luxury.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 10th July 2009 at 04:27 PM.

Dependent

To add to what Ruggles said, I believe alot of counters do use fragrance sets(including the cologne, shower gel, lotions of the same scent) to push the frag during sale or discount periods. Definitely worth getting as a good treat.

I'm not saying its better but, The Beat shower gel is pure heaven! A green leather shower gel. Its the best I have used to date.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I wonder if it's possible to buy shower gel samples, or does it just make better sense to buy the smallest shower gel offering. I've only had the pleasaure of owning 2 cologne shower gels: Dolce & Gabbana ph & Versace Blue Jeans. The D&G gel smelled just like the cologne, but I didn't really think the Blue Jeans gel smelled very similar to the cologne. Thing is though-it still smelled very nice, and I fealt especially fresh when I showered with it. GPH2 is my favorite fragrance, and I have come across the shower gel a few times at the Marshalls down the street. I may have to purchase it, along with another VBJ shower gel.

I think that Clinique Happy as a body wash has better longevity as a fragrance than the EDT does. Not that that would be hard or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by gekko View Post
    I find that most Axe fragrances work far better as shower gels than body sprays.
    Lynx(Axe) Recovery is far better as a shower gel than it is a deo.

Lynx Fever was one I had as a shower gel and I loved it. So I bought the deo and it was equally as awesome!
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle, cKBe & cK1

I like what I like, so sue me!

Which one lasts longer?

Also related: Tam Dao shower gel!
    Last edited by supracuhz; 11th July 2009 at 09:05 AM.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Ohhh, don't get me started -- I am a scented soap and shower gel junky!

I actually mostly use things like L'Occitane, Mistral, BBW, etc. In those lines, the soaps and other body products definitely smell better than the fragrances.

I'm more of a bar-of-soap type boy myself and generally I use normal soaps with little or very short lasting scents like Pears or Imperial Leather, but if I do go "fancy"...
    I love the Paco Rabanne PH shower gel. Not sure if it's better than the juice, though. It's quite different from the EDT, and it's a little Radox-esque, but it's great all the same, especially with a very hot shower.
    The Aramis bath soap is a beautiful thing. Smells very similar to the EDT and is very moisturising. A go-to soap for me in Autumn/Winter when I wear Aramis and highly recommended.

My fiance really likes the Floris Fleur shower gel. Smells identical to the perfume and it makes the bathroom all fragrant and luvverly, so suffice to say I like it too.

Also, Trumper's Fern bath stuff (doesn't really lather, so it's a bit of a pain to use in the shower) is hands-down the best lavender bath stuff i've ever tried. It's like a Yardley soap on steroids but incredibly natural smelling.

I really like the Guerlain Vetiver shower gel

Oddly enough, the only bath wash I've used that also has an EDT is Cool Water, and it was ok, nothing special. I've been dying to try out the Mugler Cologne Bath Wash, just never got around to getting it.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by JDE View Post
    The Aramis bath soap is a beautiful thing. Smells very similar to the EDT and is very moisturising. A go-to soap for me in Autumn/Winter when I wear Aramis and highly recommended...
    I forgot about that one. They have that soap-on-a-rope too, don't they? I want to get that, it makes the bathroom tub smell wonderful, hanging there.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I forgot about that one. They have that soap-on-a-rope too, don't they? I want to get that, it makes the bathroom tub smell wonderful, hanging there.
    They do indeed. If my bathroom design was a little more thought out ("better and not really tiny" I believe they call it in the trade), I'd go for the soap on the rope too, purely because I think it looks cool. Sadly, the only place to hang it currently involves water falling directly on it, meaning the bars get wasted and my fiance really doesn't want to smell like Aramis when she has a shower or washes her hair. At least I can pop the bar in the plastic container and chuck it in the cabinet when i'm not using it.

I've actually been looking at the Aramis shower gel and shampoo for travelling purposes as I tend to wear it a lot when i'm away on business. I'm assuming it smells awesome.

I'll second the mention of Moulton Brown Black Pepper gel - it's really amazing (yet the juice is just mediocre). It makes a greta base for any incense- or oriental-based scent.

I'll also add that Moulton Brown's Blissful Templetree is a great base for any of the Kouros scents. It doesn't smell exactly the same, but is close enough for government work - and it's a lot easier to find and less expensive than the Kouros gel itself (which is terrific by the way). You just have to get past its lurid blue colour...

Now I'm going to have to hunt for many of the gels mentioned so far: GDG2Man, M7, Rive Gauche, Bandit, etc etc etc.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

Not better then the EdT, but Prada Amber is my go-to shower gel. Soap that smells like soap? It's SO damn rich. I also use L'Occitane Vetyver gel regularly.

Also excellent is the Helmut Lang gel, though it may be gone from the last supplier now.

I've been wanting Dior Homme, Pour Monsieur, Antaeus, Rive Gauche, and TdH but I'm simply out of room in the shower between me and my wife's stuff!

Obsession for men which smells totally diffrent from the scent and A*Men shower gel also.

+1 Absolutely. Get it if you can. Cannot say the same for Givenchy Gentleman though. Juice is far superior (as it should).

Cheers,
    Alex
    Last edited by Alex; 13th July 2009 at 12:18 PM.

Well, my answer comes late, but the low-cost aftershave "Rebel" by Oriflame also included an adjacent beauty range and guess what, while the after shave already smelled manly and leathery, the shower gel was even a few significant degrees better, since, at least on the skin, it developed not only these edgy, manly notes, but also a rich, creamy, opulent, distinguished fragrance note and allround (far more than scent-related) mood...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by JDE View Post
    They do indeed. If my bathroom design was a little more thought out ("better and not really tiny" I believe they call it in the trade), I'd go for the soap on the rope too, purely because I think it looks cool. Sadly, the only place to hang it currently involves water falling directly on it, meaning the bars get wasted and my fiance really doesn't want to smell like Aramis when she has a shower or washes her hair. At least I can pop the bar in the plastic container and chuck it in the cabinet when i'm not using it.

I've actually been looking at the Aramis shower gel and shampoo for travelling purposes as I tend to wear it a lot when i'm away on business. I'm assuming it smells awesome.
    You have got to try Aramis scented hair gel (it carries just enough of the scent, without getting annoying) and soaking bath salts (they come in a bag inside a tortoiseshell tub). Aramis ancillary products are very well done, IMO.