Code of Conduct

Arrow Niche aquatic/citrus - Suggestions ?

I've realized that I don't have too many summer colognes and the wardrobe is largely dominated by winter fragrances.

I am looking to buy a 'niche aquatic/citrus'....In this quest, I blind bought Miller Harris - Tangerine Vert (not really pleased with it though)....

Currently I am testing Bois 1920 - Agrumi Amari di Sicilia....it's good stuff and I might splurge on a full bottle, soon.

I am yet to give a full wearing of Citrus Paradisi from my sample, so that is still under consideration.

It would be great to listen to some suggestions about some great summer colognes.....Only 'niche' though.....I have tried loads of designer stuff but this time I just want some classy stuff....and 'Creed' doesn't work for me ....I have tried/bought a lot of vetivers, so another vetiver is out of question now.

Good longevity & sillage is important because that is what would justify the higher price of an expensive niche fragrance.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Niche aquatic - Suggestions ?

"Odeur 71", CdG
    It may sound funny, but once the top notes are gone, this one has a very nice, almost aquatic dry down, and on me it lasts.

Other than niche and designer, you have the new Yves Rocher, "Comme une Évidence".
    It smells very good, aquatic and it is cheap.

Niche doesn't always mean it will smell classy.

More of a citrus than an 'aquatic', but give Eau Neuve de Lubin a try. It's a very high quality citrus with depth, longevity, and sillage. Everyone I've given a sample to seems to really like it a lot.

Try Sel d' Vetiver by the Different Co. Fantastic aquatic vetiver scent.

Bulgari Aqua Marine - the new one in lighter blue color - smells very nice.

Thierry Mugler Ice*Men - very minty then chocolate suede.

Cartier Roadster - mint woods with light pathcouli suede base. The basenote is great.

Default Re: Niche aquatic/citrus - Suggestions ?

Since b-puff brought it up, I'll second Ice*Men, if you haven't already tried it... I get a lot of light patchouli along with coffee and spices, which doesn't sound like it would be good in summer, but for some reason it is... I don't know whether Mugler is exactly niche, but hey - it's not bad stuff at all.

Also not 'aquatic' but good for warm weather regardless is Acqua di Parma's Iris Nobile. The EdT is probably better for summer.

Hey gupts,

Iskander (Parfum Empire) as well as L'eau Neuve (Lubin) are very impressive citrus frags (not aquatic). Both are available at Peony in Hawthorn (Glenferrie road).
    Last edited by jathanas; 22nd March 2009 at 11:52 AM.

Maestrale by Profumi di Pantelleria. Something I would like to drink on the hot summer afternoon.

Annick goutal les nuits fe hadrien. It's orange and citrus and pretty good for summer. The only citrus scent i'd consider buying tbh.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Carthusia's Mediterraneo is a rich citrus-y scent. Beautiful.

I was also going to recommend a Carthusia. Uomo is an unconventional herbaceous marine scent which I really enjoy in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianis View Post
    Maestrale by Profumi di Pantelleria. Something I would like to drink on the hot summer afternoon.
    Exactly.

Calypso Christiane Celle Calypso Marine (2002)
    I'll say what I always say about this stuff: that it's the closest thing I know, outside of the fantastic and fantastically expensive Aqua di Sale, to an unambiguous aquatic that is neither metallic, iodine nor cucumber. It manages to smell aquatic and quite organic. Sea, dry grasses, slightly ambered florals. And a bargain by most standards. I'd encourage you to try this one if you can. Good luck!

Citrus but not aquatic -- Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. Lasts all day on me. Another citrus I like very much Chanel Eau de Cologne from the Exclusifs line, but it is not nearly as strong as the AdP.

Have you thought about Guerlain Cologne du 68? I have not yet made friends with it, but many here like it very much. It has a lovely citrus start, and then the drydown is a long lasting, light resinous amber on my skin.
    Last edited by Asha; 22nd March 2009 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianis View Post
    That is a top suggestion!

lemme add Cereus No.4 to this list.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Citrus but not aquatic -- Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. Lasts all day on me. Another citrus I like very much Chanel Eau de Cologne from the Exclusifs line, but it is not nearly as strong as the AdP.

Have you thought about Guerlain Cologne du 68? I have not yet made friends with it, but many here like it very much. It has a lovely citrus start, and then the drydown is a long lasting, light resinous amber on my skin.
    I'll second AdP Colonia Assoluta

If you want looooong lasting... How about one spray on the back of the hand lasting through several hand washes and a shower? Bond No. 9 Eau de New York!

Now that I said Eau de New York, I actually prefer C&S Neroli. Same dry down but I am not as sure of the longevity. Not saying it doesn't last but Eau de New York really impressed me with its staying power.

Good luck!

Amouage - Ciel (Homme)
    Jo Malone - Orange Blossom (I also like White Jasmine/Mint though I am not sure it fits your requirements)
    Bond No.9 - Riverside Drive

For the super authentic stuff try:
    Hyle
    Acqua di Sale
    Aria di Mare

For a sort of green, fruity take on an aquatic:
    Fleur de Liane
    Central Park

Off-Scenter

On the citrus side: Another enthusiastic vote for Iskander. Also Bahiana and Eau du Sud.

On the aquatic side, two words for you: "Mare" and "L'Eau de Ryokuei." Niche doesn't get much nichier than the latter, but oh how good!

I recently mused on this in my blog. Seems I have too many summer fragrances and not enough for all those in between seasons!

Excellent suggestions provided, though I haven't sampled all of them. C&S Neroli and Citrus Paradisi are ones I'm currently looking at, along with Creed - Neroli Sauvage. In the past I've used AdP Colonia Assoluta extensively in the summer. This summer I plan on using three Creed's extensively: Millesime Imperial, Green Valley and Royal Water.

For me, its Heeley's Sel Marin. It has that marine salt ozonic quality with excellent longevity.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    For me, its Heeley's Sel Marin. It has that marine salt ozonic quality with excellent longevity.

TNMA
    It does but it has a definite fishy thing in there that I smell. Almost like seaweed, it's just really weird.

Aqva Pour Homme Marine

Aqua Dio Gio

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    It does but it has a definite fishy thing in there that I smell. Almost like seaweed, it's just really weird.
    It probably contains seaweed absolute, an ingredient which I suspect is also in Erolfa.
    Last edited by zztopp; 23rd March 2009 at 03:56 AM.
    -

Thank you all for your suggestions....

I already have Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, that I simply enjoy wearing alongwith my summer favorite, Bond Eau de New York.
    Today I received my bottle of Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile and my first views are quite positive for this one. Very good Iris in my opinion.
    Though honestly it does smell a little feminine to me but it doesn't hold me back from appreciating or wearing it.

I will surely look to try as many as I can...thanks again....

Keep the suggestions going though :-)

You are right .. you do have a very oriental heavy wardrobe for someone who resides in Melbourne.

Since you don't want designer recommendations I will just focus on niche. I do however think its infantile to forego a house's offering just because of its name or something else .. you need to try Creeds Bois de Cedrat, Selection Verte, Neroli Sauvage and Citrus Bigarade if you haven't. Who knows you may find a citrus favorite amongst these.

C&S's Citrus Paradisi has a good grapefruit note but I found its peppery heart and a lonesome mossy drydown a bit "empty". It needs more notes to flesh out the construction. Still, its recommended because of its adroit handling of grapefruit oil which can be pesky to control. C&S's Neroli is exactly that .. a nice clean neroli note in isolation. It smells more like an EO than a complete perfume.

You may also want to try Bonds Little Italy for a tangerine blast. Tangerine and musk. Juicy and fun.

There's not much to recommend from Serge Lutens, which I believe is one of your favorites. There's Fleurs d'citronnier with its nice blend of lemon and orange blossoms but its a bit too floral for me.

From The Different Company: Divine Bergamot. This is a new citrus fave of mine, and it sports good quality ingredients and a clean bright structure which refreshes in dog days of summer.
    Last edited by zztopp; 23rd March 2009 at 04:58 AM.
    -

You're right about the Bois 1920...good stuff. I guess I didn't buy it because 1) the dollars and 2) it smells so authentic and devoid of anything but citrus on me, I think it would make me think too much of fruit to eat, and not fragrance! Funny, I know.

Try Citron Citron by Miller Harris--nice lemon/orange combo with slight moss note. Maybe it isn't niche, but I also go for Monsieur Balmain--very nice quality lemon with some light wood in there. Also Crown Marquis, though it's more fruity than citrusy, with an almost sour fruit quality; Pal Zileri--fruity goodness with some light wood; and Signoricci--mandarin with some vetiver.

While it's certainly no aquatic I'd recommend Blenheim Bouquet (Penhaligon's). One of my favorite fragrances with a citrus topnote. I use it often during warmer months.

The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver is aquatic
    Montale's Fougere's Marines is an aquatic as well
    MPG's Bahiana (more a fruity pineapple fragrance, but it would work very well) Lasts a LONG time for a "light" fragrance

I'm not a big fan of citrus at all, but I enjoy Eau d'Orange Verte. The bitterness keeps it from being just another citrus. Carthusia Via Camerelle is a competent, if pretty straight-forward citrus. If I ever were to spring for any citrus it'd be one of those.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    You are right .. you do have a very oriental heavy wardrobe for someone who resides in Melbourne.

Since you don't want designer recommendations I will just focus on niche. I do however think its infantile to forego a house's offering just because of its name or something else .. you need to try Creeds Bois de Cedrat, Selection Verte, Neroli Sauvage and Citrus Bigarade if you haven't. Who knows you may find a citrus favorite amongst these.

C&S's Citrus Paradisi has a good grapefruit note but I found its peppery heart and a lonesome mossy drydown a bit "empty". It needs more notes to flesh out the construction. Still, its recommended because of its adroit handling of grapefruit oil which can be pesky to control. C&S's Neroli is exactly that .. a nice clean neroli note in isolation. It smells more like an EO than a complete perfume.

You may also want to try Bonds Little Italy for a tangerine blast. Tangerine and musk. Juicy and fun.

There's not much to recommend from Serge Lutens, which I believe is one of your favorites. There's Fleurs d'citronnier with its nice blend of lemon and orange blossoms but its a bit too floral for me.

From The Different Company: Divine Bergamot. This is a new citrus fave of mine, and it sports good quality ingredients and a clean bright structure which refreshes in dog days of summer.
    Yeah...I know the wardrobe just kept getting heavier on that 'oriental' side..It was totally unintentional....Now I am looking to fix that...

I have sold almost all Creed bottles that I had except for VIW that I find amazing. Longevity has been extremely disappointing for me for all the Creeds is why I have taken a conscious decision to stay away from them. However I'd definitely try out the ones you've recommended....

Bond Little Italy sounds good....I love Bonds and have got Hamptons,Wall Street & Eau de New york....the longevity/sillage is awesome....

I have a decant of Divine Bergamote and I like it...

I haven't tried a lot of Serge Lutens....I think most of them are heavy, hard to wear anyways...Even more so when you are looking for some summer colognes....Fleurs d'citronnier....hmm....just noted it down...

Thanks for your suggestions..

Quote Originally Posted by Spicemeister View Post
    You're right about the Bois 1920...good stuff. I guess I didn't buy it because 1) the dollars and 2) it smells so authentic and devoid of anything but citrus on me, I think it would make me think too much of fruit to eat, and not fragrance! Funny, I know.

Try Citron Citron by Miller Harris--nice lemon/orange combo with slight moss note. Maybe it isn't niche, but I also go for Monsieur Balmain--very nice quality lemon with some light wood in there. Also Crown Marquis, though it's more fruity than citrusy, with an almost sour fruit quality; Pal Zileri--fruity goodness with some light wood; and Signoricci--mandarin with some vetiver.
    Yeah...Bois 1920 Agrumi Amari Di Sicilia is infact very nice...it's delicious isnt it....almost edible.......I just missed out on a bottle on ebay that sold for US$80.....

I would perhaps try to sample Citron Citron first since I bought Miller Harris Tangerine Vert blind and it didnt quite excite me....It just smells like 'orange'...nothing happening there.....

if you enjoy tart citrus notes, and are expecting an aquatic ambiance instead of the literal smell of seaweed, and don't mind being noticed, silver mountain water would be a good choice.

I have a decant of Mare by Creative Universe, and I really like it. Really nice aquatic, salty without being too briny, good longevity too.

Iris Nobile kicks ass - good stuff!

Millesime Imperial is my fav in this category.
    Followed by Bond no.9 Wall Street (one of the few good bonds imo)
    Profumum Aqua Di Sale I thought was terrible, like a diaper and a tub of noxcema floating in a chlorine pool.
    Bond Little Italy is not aquatic at all, just citrus, and it's orange-soda cheap candy-smelling.
    Not too many citrus-aquatics on the niche side.
    Just citrus scents or aquatic scents, seperate.
    Still need to try Mare, Hyle, Sel Marin on the aquatic side of tings.
    As for niche summer citrus, I would have recommended Tangerine vert, so my recommendations of TDC Bergamotte and Heeley's Vervaine (has some aquatic/raspberry/fruitiness under all the verbena) may not impress either.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 24th March 2009 at 02:28 AM.