The field is split up into four divisions:
Serge Lutens Division
Comme des Garçons Division
These were the top 4 vote-getters in jenson's niche poll a while back, they're just for fun and don't have any bearing on the tournament.
So how did we come to this field of 65? 48 were from the review system, 15 were selected by Basenotes members, and 2 are competing today!
Pos = Number of positive reviews.
Neg = Number of negative reviews.
Neut = Number of neutral reviews.
Total = Total number of reviews.
Group 1: Top 16 By Negative-Weighted Pct. ((Pos-Neg)/Total) - These are technically the strongest challengers of the tournament, as they had many positives and very few negatives.
Group 2: Top 16 By Simple Pct. (Pos/Total) - These have a large fan-base, but may also have their share of detractors too.
Group 3: Top 16 By Most Ratings (Pos + Neut + Neg) - Those biggest of names, these enter by right of sheer name-recognition.
5 Forum Selections
2 Selections By Bluesoul
2 Selections By Grant
2 Selections By mikeperez23
2 Selections By Dimitri
2 Selections By JaimeB
1 Play-In Game Winner
The Play-In Game competitors are the Lowest by Simple Pct. vs. Lowest by Negative-Weighted Pct.
If a fragrance appeared on multiple lists the highest rank it achieved was used.
Group 4, the user-contributed section, had all ranks randomized using the random.org random number sequence generator except for the play-in winner which will go in as a 16 seed.
The brackets were then spiraled into each other so that each set of groups was in each bracket section exactly four times, like this:
This helps smooth things out and ensure that the most rated fragrances didn't all have to face each other in the same bracket, as well as the user-submitted selections. The threshold for a fragrance to make a review-based appearance is 30 total reviews (user selections had no minimum). If you think that's too high, sorry; provide me with some more data next year and I'll try it again with a threshold of 15 or 20.
Voting is done with the use of Multi-Group Polls, I've tried this way of doing things before and it's pretty intuitive. You'll see there are multiple poll choices, split into groups of two. You may select only one
from each group. And you may as well only pick one because picking both is the same as not voting at all. If you don't feel you know enough about two contenders to pick between them, you don't have to vote in that group. Again, the criteria you're voting on is "Which of these two fragrances would you most like to see advance?" This is deliberately vague so people can make choices based on reasons they're comfortable with. Maybe it's a holy grail of yours, maybe you love the monster sillage of it, maybe you just think the bottle looks cool. Whatever reason you want, it's a game
. Whichever fragrance in each group has the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the game will be replayed in the next thread.
Round 1 will start in early March, the total event will be 63 games over 26 days in 23 threads. Multiple games will be to each thread.
Round 1 = 4 games per poll (8 threads/8 days)
Round 2 = 4 games per poll (4 threads/4 days)
Round 3 (Sweet Sixteen) = 2 games per poll (4 threads/4 days)
Round 4 (Elite Eight) = 1 game per poll (4 threads/4 days)
Round 5 (Final Four) = 1 game per poll (2 threads/4 days)
Round 6 (Championship) = 1 game, 1 poll (1 thread/2 days)
(16) Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue PH vs. (16) Sécrétions Magnifiques
(3) Cuiron PH vs. (14) Dior Fahrenheit
(1) Thierry Mugler A*Men vs. (16) TBD (Play-In Winner)
(5) L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme vs. (12) Davidoff Cool Water
(6) Gucci pour Homme vs. (11) L'Artisan Tea For Two
(8) Viktor & Rolf Antidote vs. (9) Acqua di Gio
(4) Green Irish Tweed vs. (13) Azzaro pour Homme
(6) Ungaro III vs. (11) Caron L'Anarchiste
(3) Monocle Scent One: Hinoki vs. (14) John Varvatos
(2) Terre d'Hermes vs. (15) Bulgari pour Homme Extreme
(6) Scent Intense vs. (11) Creed Bois du Portugal
(8) Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée vs. (9) Guerlain Derby
(4) Tabac Blond vs. (13) MPG Santal Noble
(7) Guerlain Jicky vs. (10) L'Eau D'Issey PH
(3) Basala vs. (14) Bandit
(5) Caron The Third Man vs. (12) Rive Gauche pour Homme
(1) Hermessence Vetiver Tonka vs. (16) Versace Man
(2) Habit Rouge vs. (15) Gucci Envy for Men
(7) C&S No. 88 vs. (10) YSL Body Kouros
(5) Amouage Jubilation XXV vs. (12) Boss Bottled
(7) Ambre Sultan vs. (10) YSL Live Jazz
(7) Dolce & Gabanna pour Homme vs. (10) Caron Yatagan
(2) YSL M7 Fresh vs. (15) Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme
(4) Dolce & Gabanna By Man vs. (13) Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur
(2) Frederic Malle Carnal Flower vs. (15) Dior Eau Noire
(6) Ormonde Man vs. (11) Dior Homme
(4) JPG Le Male vs. (13) Bulgari Black
(8) YSL Kouros vs. (9) Diptyque Philosykos
(1) Escada Homme vs. (16) Aramis JHL
(3) YSL M7 vs. (14) Hermes Un Jardin En Mediterranee
(8) Fumerie Turque vs. (9) Chanel Antaeus
(5) Guerlain Vetiver vs. (12) Hermés Eau d'Orange Verte
(1) Aramis Havana vs. (16) Versace The Dreamer
(2) Terre d'Hermes vs. (7) Guerlain Jicky
(11) Creed Bois du Portugal vs. (14) Piguet Bandit
(11) L'Artisan Tea For Two vs. (14) Dior Fahrenheit
(1) Thierry Mugler A*Men vs. (8) Viktor & Rolf Antidote
(12) Rive Gauche Pour Homme vs. (13) MPG Santal Noble
(3) CdG x Monocle Scent One: Hinoki vs. (11) Caron L'Anarchiste
(4) Creed Green Irish Tweed vs. (5) L'Instant de Guerlain
(1) Hermessence Vetiver Tonka vs. (8) Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
(5) Guerlain Vetiver vs. (13) Bvlgari Black
(2) Frederic Malle Carnal Flower vs. (7) Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
(2) Habit Rouge vs. (10) Caron Yatagan
(2) YSL M7 Fresh vs. (7) C&S No. 88
(5) Amouage Jubilation XXV vs. (13) Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur
(1) Aramis Havana vs. (8) YSL Kouros
(3) YSL M7 vs. (11) Dior Homme
(16) Aramis JHL vs. (9) Chanel Antaeus
Round 3 (Scented Sixteen):
(2) Terre d'Hermes vs. (11) L'Artisan Tea For Two
(9) Chanel Antaeus vs. (12) YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme
(8) Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée vs. (13) Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur
(2) Guerlain Habit Rouge vs. (11) Dior Homme
(7) Czech & Speake No. 88 vs. (11) Creed Bois du Portugal
(7) Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan vs. (11) Caron L'Anarchiste
(1) Thierry Mugler A*Men vs. (5) Guerlain Vetiver
(1) Aramis Havana vs. (4) Creed Green Irish Tweed
Round 4 (Essential Eight):
(2) Guerlain Habit Rouge vs. (9) Chanel Antaeus
(2) Terre d'Hermes vs. (13) Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur
(4) Creed Green Irish Tweed vs. (7) Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
(5) Guerlain Vetiver vs. (7) Czech & Speake No. 88
Round 5 (Fragrant Four):
(7) Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan vs. (13) Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur
TBD vs. TBD
Round 6 (Championship):
TBD vs. TBD
That's just about everything, so let the games...begin!