Code of Conduct

Thread: PdN New York

Default PdN New York

As highly regarded as PdN New York is, it doesn't get much mention here. Too passe perhaps?

Anyway, I've got a sample of this and want your opinions. This seems just a bit "perfumey" to me. Do you find this makes a good office scent? I don't mind the powderiness of this one, but do you wear this to the office.

I appreciate any comments on this fragrance.

Default Re: PdN New York

I think it gets mentioned a good amount here, usually in comparison to Creed's BdP.

I just got a sample and I have not assessed it yet.

It is elegant and mature, "professional" if you wish. I would love to have people at the office smelling like New York.
    I had a bottle but it was very similar to BdP so I could not justify having both and I much prefer BdP.
    The only problem of wearing it at the office is that everyone will think you are the Boss... then the boss will get jealous. :-)
    (Maybe you are the Boss already , in that case New York is perfect)
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I think it gets mentioned a good amount here, usually in comparison to Creed's BdP.
    I agree, New York seems to come up in conversation quite frequently.

In addition to Bois du Portugal, I have always compared it to Heritage as well.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I have Heritage and New York and whilst I can see the similarities, they really are quite distinct in their drydowns and markedly different to the drydown of Bois de Portugal, which I don't really like.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I've actually never seen it compared to BdP (of course, I sometimes go days without checking BN (usually by accident)). I found it because it was compared to the reformulated (current version) Derby (Guerlain). I think actually it lives right in between the two. One of my favorite scents; Luca Turin (no LT flamewar, pls!) says of it in "The Guide" that it's likely the one he'd save if the house were to burn down.
    New site for my available dec^H^H^Hsplits: http://www.badgerdecants.com

A great fragrance. It goes phases where it gets lots of love and then it gets forgotten. There is no question it smells fantastic - almost too good. Good office scent.

Color me not impressed. Overall I like the base but a little powdery. I didn't not like everything up until the base or middle. Here was my review of a sample

New York--After all the reviews I was excited. I really have enjoyed this one but am completely confused. the intitial burst was "dirty citrus" and something that wasn't bad but that I wasn't sure I'd enjoy. However about 30 minutes to an hour later, to my surprise the drydown was great. Woodsy and powdery...light compared to the beginning. A real change. Again, I enjoyed this alot. But this might be an "older" scent if you ask me
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Thumbs up Re: PdN New York

NEW YORK changes during the day...it is a pleasure for the one who is wearing it and for the ones around. It is one of my must have...
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

It'a a great fragrance and perfect for office or anytime. I don't get the BdP reference as much and see it in the same family as Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree and Tiffany for Men. All share similar qualities but, for me, different enough to own.
    Last edited by dmarino67; 20th February 2009 at 01:57 PM.

Superb frag but not a masterpiece. What do you mean by "perfumey"? Sillage and longevity are excellent if that's what you mean.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    It is elegant and mature, "professional" if you wish. I would love to have people at the office smelling like New York.
    I had a bottle but it was very similar to BdP so I could not justify having both and I much prefer BdP.
    The only problem of wearing it at the office is that everyone will think you are the Boss... then the boss will get jealous. :-)
    (Maybe you are the Boss already , in that case New York is perfect)
    i totally agree with this SPANISH guy here

NEW YORK is a great professional scent. it does feel mature and very calm.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Superb frag but not a masterpiece. What do you mean by "perfumey"? Sillage and longevity are excellent if that's what you mean.
    It has a very "insistent" sillage. The sillage doesn't come and go, it's consistent; almost cloying. This is very much the way I sense many women's frags. It makes the frag a bit more feminine than I like.

NY has a sublime drydown very Guerlain like. Infact when i first sampled NY it reminded me of Habit Rouge without the harsh orange note.

If you want a "modern" version of it, try Rouge Royal for men.