2006: Kouros Eau D'Ete
    2007: Kouros Tattoo Collector
    2008: Kouros Energizing Tonique
    200?: Kouros Plein Air Bracing Body Splash pleinair.jpg

The Complete Set family Portrait
    familyportrait.jpg

The 'blue' bottles
    kourosflankers.jpg

So a while back, I decided to track and collect YSL's Kouros and all its flankers, all 11 versions! My goal is to satisfy the curiosity that I have developed as a fragrance lover. I want to get into the heads of the perfumers, and see exactly what it is they were thinking when the flankers were produced. Was it art of the perfumer at work? Or was it marketing driven by greed?

I will be updating this thread as the bottles show up in the mail. I will be comparing the juices to the original (one of my personal holy grails) Kouros EdT, launched in 1981.

Today I recieved one of the "summer" iterations of Kouros. According to my research, it is the 2005 version. (If any one knows for sure, please reference the picture and let me know.) A somewhat rare find, I couldn't wait to sniff the juice. I was instantly kouros-satisfied, the bright, fresh, clean yet dirty combination has never failed to make me happy. Then suddenly, it hit me. Kouros Summer '05 smells EXACTLY like Kouros Cologne Sport! Now there are BARELY perceivable differences between the two: the summer Kouros smells a notch sweeter in the mid notes and dry down. Other than that, it's the same juice. I was dissapointed, but I do love the juice.

So, I am going to label Kouros Eau d'Ete Summer 2005 a marketing gimmick. If you already have Kouros Cologne Sport, there is absolutely no need for this Summer (2005) version in your collection. If I had a choice between the two, the summer 2005 wins, since it is slightly sweeter and sticks around a bit longer.

28 FEB 09: Kouros Eau de Sport
    eaudesport.jpg
    I found the elusive Kouros Eau de Sport
    I found it on eBay and I waited patiently to win the auction. I got the bottle in the mail yesterday. I wanted to write about it right away, but I know I must give it it due justice and wear it for a full day. And, boy do I LOVE this stuff! It smells...exactly like Kouros EdT Well, almost exactly.

I haven't found a fragrance that smells like Kouros but better...unitl now (though I have heard CREED's Orange Spice is close). Eau de Sport is Kouros EdT with far better ingridients, if slightly weaker concentration (hardly noticeable). Kouros has a synthetic or dull vibe to it to my nose, at least that was the conclusion I came to after smelling Eau de Sport. It still has the urine note, but it all comes across as a natural oils and spices version. But it is not the least bit off-putting like the original. In fact you want to keep sniffing (18 sprays so far! I better conserve it).

Not a gimmick at all, and can't understand why it was discontinued Kouros EdT should have been replaced by Eau de Sport. Now there is one caveat, two actually. My 'control' Kouros EdT is a fairly recent version: latest bottle. I have seen at least 3 different bottles (the location of the words eau de toilette are in different places), I will procure all the different Kouros EdT just to make sure there isn't a reformulation in there somewhere. I also bought another Kouros Eau de Sport, a mini, just to compare it to the Eau de Sport I just acquired.
    Verdict: Eau de Sport *IS* the king of the Kouros line. For now.

01 MAR 09: Kouros Cologne Sport VS Kouros Cologne Sport Eau D'Ete
    colognesport.jpg
    I smapled KCS after sampling the original Kouros, and I fell in love with it instantly. It really is a sporty take on the Kouros concept: fresh, clean and dirty, but not as serious or "shirt/tie" as the original. It is without a doubt deserving of the Kouros name. The Eau D'Ete version does an excellent job of following the Kouros concept as well. It is fresh, clean and with that dirty edge, but it is NOT a lighter or weaker version of KCS. Instead, it is almost a stand alone scent, replacing the dark citrusy vibe in KCS with a sweeter mandarin note, plus what appears to be woods to my nose. It does share a few things with KCS, but not enough to be a summer version. I actually don't get the "summer" part, I consider the original more summery. So, I would certainly recommend KCS Eau D'Ete, it is a great fragrance that is different enough from the regular KCS. So much so that I would label it KCS 2. No gimmick here for sure, KCS Eau D'Ete is simply yet another Kouros worth sampling, if not having.

13 MAR 09: Kouros Eau D'Ete 2002
    kourosflankers.jpg
    I have been gone for a while for work. I am back now, and was pleasantly surprised by a package of free samples from Czech and Speake (register on their website and get free samples!). I also recieved the first summer Kouros. I eagerly awaited something delicious yet summery, while maintaining the wonderful Kouros EdT theme. Unfortunately, Kouros Eau D'Ete 2002, is nothing but the same EXACT juice as the Kouros Summer 2005 I posted earlier, itself just a colored version of the infamous Kouros Cologne Sport. Yes, all three smell exactly the same. I am dissapointed to see that this is nothing but a marketing gimmick...no genius, just pure trickery. Three DIFFERENT bottles, different release years, SAME EXACT juice. YSL, I am OFFICIALLY mad at you. Somehow, I am still in love with Kouros and the Sport and Summer variations. So don't waste your money. see picture for bottle reference and comparison.

26 MAR 09: Kouros Tattoo Collector, Energizing EdT
    kourosflankers.jpg
    My first encounter with this was early last year. Simply put, Tattoo (so called because it comes with a set of temp tattoos) is a kinder, gentler version of the original. It is weaker too, requiring about 3 times as much spraying to achieve the same effect as the original. The dirty 'urine' note is significantly pulled back, almost undetectable. What's left is the basic sweet smelling side of Kouros, a feat accomplished by a somewhat heavy dose of calone (high grade non the less). The end product is a light summery breezy frag with a clear connection to Kouros. I think it is almost impossible to dislike this, unless you live in that part of the world where the basic Kouros scent was utilized as a bathroom cleaner/freshener line of products scent. Genius at work here for sure...not everyone can stomach the no holds barred nature of Kouros; but even the most weak-stomached nose can stand (and love) Tattoo.

10 APR 09: Kouros Plein Air Bracing Body Splash
    pleinair.jpg
    It's been a while, work has been taking its toll again. Anyway, this is the TOP SECRET Kouros I promised. I couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted it myself. So I bought it, and here is what I found: A thick blue liquid with the scent of Kouros. The accompanying literature reads:
    To get the body ready for action: Bracing Body Splash. Invigorating and stimulating, it gives a lively sensation of freshness and leaves the body lightly fragranced at the same time...it goes on and on. The scent is the same as the original with one significant difference: the infamous urine note lives here. It has more of said urinous note than any other Kouros I know. It last quite a while too and projects nicely without suffocating everyone around you. It is rare, but available on the net. I like it.
    Genius? maybe. I mean its just like a aftershave balm, but it is marketed as a body bracer. And the Plein Air moniker...just in case you need a reason to buy it. So I wouldn't necessary call it genius, but then it's not quite a marketing ploy either, it does do what it is advertised to do.

11 APR 09: Kouros EdT Energizing/Tonique
    kourosflankers.jpg
    This is essentially the summer version for 2008. The bottle reads: Eau de Toilette Tonique/Energizing Eau de Toilette. This is exactly what it says on the Tattoo Edition bottle, which was released in 2007 as the summer version of 2007. It is no surprise then that the juice is exactly the same, a softer, less perfumy, more sweeter, less powerful version of the original. So far all the summer versions have been the same juice as the previous year. Starting in 2002 thru 2005, they all smell like the Kouros Cologne Sport. I am still waiting for the Summer 2006, so I am not sure if it will smell like KCS or the original, like the 2007/8. There is a tiny bit of difference from year to year in stregnth and sweetness, but really the differences are like comparing Diet Coke to Coke Zero.
    So I wouldn't say this 2007/8 versions are gimmicks, since there was some honesty in the labelling. I can't wait to compare them to the Kouros Fraicheur, which is supposed to be the kinder, gentler Kouros, a description that fits these energizing edt versions.

23 APR 09: Kouros Eau D'Ete Summer 2006
    kourosflankers.jpg
    I searched long and hard for this, there were only a few ( like 3!) and the sellers wanted major bucks. So I yielded to the high prices and bought one. Sad to say nothing special...it is the same juice as all the other Kouros Eau D'Ete branded bottles, which if you read above, you'll see I mentioned these are just clones of the Kouros Cologne Sport. So far, we have the Summer 02, Kouros Cologne Sport, Summer 05 & Summer 06, all with the same juice albeit variations that are very hard to tell. Verdict: Another gimmick...but at least the bottle reads exactly the same as the 2005 version. The issue is why put it in a new (misleading) bottle? Watch out for Kouros Fraicheur, coming very soon.

05 MAY 09: Kouros Fraicheur

Finally, the complete Kouros review is coming to an end. I recieved my bottle of Fraicheur a few days ago, and I have been rocking it relentlessly. You know, when I started this review, the point was NOT to unseat the original Kouros, but with Fraicheur, just like with Eau de Sport, the original must take a back seat. I wore the two back to back and the difference is glaring: Fraicheur is better than the original, no questions about it. Hard to tell the difference in the opening, but the genius soon shines thru. The original comes off harsh and too perfumey, whereas fraicheur has just the right dose of everything...except for that signature urinous note. It isn't totally absent, just hardly there at all. It is replaced with a sensuos aura with a green tinge, more like a whiff of the urinating device than the urine itself . Fraicheur was hard to find, but very well worth it.

Rankings:
    First place - (tie) Eau de Sport & Fraicheur
    Second place - Cologne Sport (and all the summer varieties that smell like it)
    Third place - Cologne Sport Eau d'Ete
    Fourth place - Tattoo (and the energizing toniques)
    Last edited by Andrewthecologneguy; 5th May 2009 at 07:58 PM.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Default Re: YSL KOUROS: The Complete Set Review

Great idea! I wish you luck finding all the flankers and will watch this thread with interest.

Very cool. I look forward to further results and reading here just like DocmanCC.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

Very interesting, be sure and keep us updated.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I agree with the others. Sounds like a cool undertaking. I've got most of the Kouros flankers. I think the only significant hole in my collection is the rare Kouros Eau de Sport.

I also have the same opinion concerning Cologne Sport and Kouros Summer (Eau d'Ete). I found these two to be almost identical. I also have Kouros Cologne Sport Eau D'Ete-- which is a gradient blue bottle in the style of Cologne Sport, but with a fresher mandarin note, and a little less dirty than the standard edition.

I remain personally convinced that Kouros Tattoo edition(Energizing Tonique) is the best of the flankers, though it's just my experience.

my Kouros collection (not including Body Kouros):

Kouros
    Kouros Fraicheur
    Kouros Cologne Sport
    Kouros Cologne Sport Eau D'Ete
    Kouros Eau D'Ete Summer Fragrance
    Kouros Tattoo Collector Edition Energizing Tonique

I still hope to snag one of the early editions of the Eau D'Ete in the translucent white bottle. It's hard to find. Does anyone have it? And if so, how does it differ from the others?

Very cool - I only first tried it a couple days ago (the card is still in my car on the console). I was pretty impressed with it. The first impression is certainly a bit surprising, but it dries wonderfully. It'll be great to hear your input on how all the variations, well... vary

Thanks for the support, I am glad you guys find it useful and cool.

Indie_Guy, I have the translucent Eau d'Ete (2002 version) coming soon. I will be glad to send you a sample of it as well as the Eau de Sport. I have tried the Tattoo edition and I certainly like the Eau de Sport better. I think you will too.

Next up: Cologne Sport VS Cologne Sport Eau d'Ete
    Last edited by Andrewthecologneguy; 28th February 2009 at 09:34 AM.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

11 versions of Kouros?
    I might have tested 7 at most. This thread made me curious about the sport version... Still, it is funny how it is harder to find bad reviews about hard to find fragrances, than the fragrances themselves.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Still, it is funny how it is harder to find bad reviews about hard to find fragrances, than the fragrances themselves.
    I love that!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 28th February 2009 at 03:39 PM.

Hey guys
    is there a big difference between the sport and Sport Eau D'Ete
    let me know
    thanks!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    Thanks for the support, I am glad you guys find it useful and cool.

Indie_Guy, I have the translucent Eau d'Ete (2002 version) coming soon. I will be glad to send you a sample of it as well as the Eau de Sport. I have tried the Tattoo edition and I certainly like the Eau de Sport better. I think you will too.

Next up: Cologne Sport VS Cologne Sport Eau d'Ete
    Sounds great! How on earth did you find the Eau de Sport? (EDIT: OK, I just saw it in your original post. Well done!)
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 28th February 2009 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Hey guys
    let me know
    thanks!
    I found the difference significant, though not great, the Ed'E having a tropical suggestion of melon to it. While that is all right, the original Sport version comes first for me since it has a stronger ambergris perfume quailty that I usually prefer.

I just sold my bottle of the 2004 Cologne Sport Eau d'Ete - and to think I should have checked to see if anyone needed it, first!

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I just sold my bottle of the 2004 Cologne Sport Eau d'Ete - and to think I should have checked to see if anyone needed it, first!

Congrats!
    Yep I would have bought it from you. I wish there was a better way to list availalbe items for sale, you know, maybe to be able to see who has a particular item for sale when you read the reviews...
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Hey guys
    let me know
    thanks!
    I second Cerberus...there is a significant enough difference between the 2 as mentioned in the update.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Yep I would have bought it from you. I wish there was a better way to list availalbe items for sale, you know, maybe to be able to see who has a particular item for sale when you read the reviews...
    That is a great idea
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Grant,
    As discussed above, is it possible to see who is offering and possibly desiring a paticular fragrance when the said fragrance is reviewed or the reviews are being read? I know you are super busy, but I am sure this will facilitate sales.
    For example, at the end of each review page, there are links to sellers on eBay and other sites...why not have a "BN Sales" link that lists members with that item for sale? I would rather buy from BNers first, mutual support kinda thing you know?
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

I do think there is at least a slight difference between Kouros Cologne Sport and the Kouros Eau D'Ete (2005). Not a HUGE difference, but I don't think they are the same juice.

A very worthy thread, and one that I think will be used as a reference for a long time to come. A very thorough examination of a popular line. Well done

Product extension is a classic marketing technique. Build on a known name to cut down on the expense of bringing a "new" item to the market. These are almost always products that could not stand on their own. They seldom have their own identity, or they would have come out as their own brand name.

So with fragrance, a company can use the same bottle design (maybe change the color or other small detail), revamp the advertising slightly and also market it for a limited time to make it seem "exclusive" - better buy it now before it is "gone".

ellis17, very true and very well said.

Sometimes however, you find true gems that are the result of a daring perfumer or just a stroke of genius at that point in time. I think the Kouros Cologne Sport comes close in this regards. La Cologne Fleur du Male versus Fleur du Male is yet another example.

A very worthy thread, and one that I think will be used as a reference for a long time to come. A very thorough examination of a popular line. Well done
    Thanks Inselaffe, glad you find it useful! I hope others will do as you mentioned.
    Last edited by Andrewthecologneguy; 22nd March 2009 at 08:40 PM.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

OK, we are close to the end. I am awaiting 3 more Kouros flankers: Fraicheur, Summer 2006 and the 2008 Energizing Tonique, which is the summer iteration. I will be providing the reviews as soon as I get them, and will take a picture of the entire Kouros line for your reference.

Meanwhile, enjoy!
    Last edited by Andrewthecologneguy; 10th April 2009 at 01:41 PM.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Dependent

OK, we are close to the end. I am awaiting 3 more Kouros flankers: Fraicheur, Summer 2006 and the 2008 Energizing Tonique, which is the summer iteration. I will be providing the reviews as soon as I get them, and will take a picture of the entire Kouros line for your reference.

Meanwhile, enjoy!
    will be watching this space for the pics.... good job. am a fan of kouros, but not really the flankers, this thread is making me reconsider my interest, great job

Another update...
    matthewfoo, I think the flankers do deserve a second chance, especially since you are a Kouros fan. At least now, I hope you will know which one to go for.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Basenotes Institution

Andrewthecologneguy - have you smelled Kouros Cologne Sport in the hair/body wash?

Thanks for the info. Personally, flankers confuse me and I never know which one to get. Yet I love Kouros so much so I never thought to try one of the variants (deviants). This has been most helpful. Bravo

What kind of longevity does the Tattoo edition get??

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Andrewthecologneguy - have you smelled Kouros Cologne Sport in the hair/body wash?
    ...yes I have, why do you ask? I use it sometimes before applying KCS...I am guessing you want to comment about the concentration of urine note...it is very high in the KCS body gel for sure, highest for that particular scent, but for the original Kouros scent, the Plein Air has the highest concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by jakekny View Post
    Thanks for the info. Personally, flankers confuse me and I never know which one to get. Yet I love Kouros so much so I never thought to try one of the variants (deviants). This has been most helpful. Bravo
    Thanks! Glad you find it helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    What kind of longevity does the Tattoo edition get??
    On my skin, it is about 5hrs. The 2008 Energizing Tonique is a bit stronger.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

And Body Kouros?
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentr d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by tonysoprano100 View Post
    And Body Kouros?
    I don't consider Body Kouros as a legitimate member of the Kouros family. I know some might disagree, but I wanted to focus on variations on the original theme, and Body Kouros does not meet that criteria. YSL would agree with me (I think) hence the different bottle BK comes in.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Andrewthecologneguy,how many different Tattoo editions did you count?I think that there is only one in existance,while others believe that there are even more.
    Thank's!
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Basenotes Institution

...yes I have, why do you ask? I use it sometimes before applying KCS...I am guessing you want to comment about the concentration of urine note...it is very high in the KCS body gel for sure, highest for that particular scent, but for the original Kouros scent, the Plein Air has the highest concentration.
    Well, since I enjoy using scented shower gels, sometimes I get a 'feel' for what a fragrance smells like from the shower gel before I invest in a bottle of the fragrance. I was wondering if the shower gel is a true representation of the scent itself (it sounds like it is). Thanks.

I am a original Kouros fan, so I am sure the 'urine' note you're describing wouldn't bother me in the KCS.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th April 2009 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by discovolante View Post
    Andrewthecologneguy,how many different Tattoo editions did you count?I think that there is only one in existance,while others believe that there are even more.
    Thank's!
    d-vo, you are right, there is only one Tattoo edition, according to my research. If anyone can prove otherwise, please respond.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Well, since I enjoy using scented shower gels, sometimes I get a 'feel' for what a fragrance smells like from the shower gel before I invest in a bottle of the fragrance. I was wondering if the shower gel is a true representation of the scent itself (it sounds like it is). Thanks.

I am a original Kouros fan, so I am sure the 'urine' note you're describing wouldn't bother me in the KCS.
    Got it, cool! And yes, the shower gel is a very good representation of the scent. That said, I would be careful with, (go lightly). There have been times that I did not even need to apply the cologne itself!
    Last edited by Andrewthecologneguy; 14th April 2009 at 01:00 PM.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Dependent

Another update...
    matthewfoo, I think the flankers do deserve a second chance, especially since you are a Kouros fan. At least now, I hope you will know which one to go for.

I've only ever tried Body Kouros and KCS, great thread, am still itching to see a family portrait!
    Last edited by MFJ; 25th September 2009 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    ...great thread, am still itching to see a family portrait!
    There is one more to go, the Fraicheur flanker...should be here anytime now. For now, enjoy the partial portrait above. PM me if you are still looking for a flanker, I have a few doubles...
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Ok, this is finally done. Please PM me with questions or samples (decants).
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Thanks for doing this... Very interesting and informative!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kouros-Energizin...QQcmdZViewItem

Andrew- i can't tell if this one is in your collection or not. Is it? Thanks for your reviews!

It seems that this thread is suitable for the above question:
    Have you ever encountered any other packaging,for any Kouros variation,except the 50 ml and 100 ml bottles?
    There was a limited edition (traver retail, if I remember corectly) of the original Kouros containing a set of 2x30 ml bottles.
    Now,in my quest for the highly rated and rather hard to find Kouros Fraicheur, I found on offer a 30 ml/1 oz. bottle.The box, claiming the volume,is pictured too and looks all right to me.
    Rather than asking the eternal question (is it a fake, or not) I put the question in a slightly modified manner (see above) and I hope for a response .
    Thank's!
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

AromiErotici

I'm wearing OG Kouros today. I always enjoy the masculinity this exudes and can wholeheartedly understand why it's too much for some. IT simply works great on my skin and skin-type.

This thread has me intrigued about Eau de Kouros and Fraicheur. They sound similar, but better suited for warmer conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I'm wearing OG Kouros today. I always enjoy the masculinity this exudes and can wholeheartedly understand why it's too much for some. IT simply works great on my skin and skin-type.

This thread has me intrigued about Eau de Kouros and Fraicheur. They sound similar, but better suited for warmer conditions.
    Aromi, you know I'm a big Kouros fan, but I gotta admit that Fraicheur is awesome and is worth seeking out. It's great in any weather. It smells like Kouros, but not as lead-heavy and with more citrus. Never tried the Eau.

I still prefer the original though.

Sur la Plage

My favorites are Kouros (original) and Kouros Fraicheur.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Glad you have all of them.

I will read this very carefully as I somehow want to like a Kouros!
    Why? It seems a special line to me, not much people use it around here plus it's not expensive.
    Awesome! Thank you Andrewthecologneguy!

Blog Entries

Bravo, Andrew!

If I wanted the best flanker for the least effort in getting it, what would you recommend? Reading your excellent reviews, I already have an opinion what that might be, but I'm wondering what you think right now. I'm particularly interested in things with reduced civet, since the wife is a hater.

AromiErotici

I recently bought Fraicheur and it's on the way. It should be a nice addition since I like Kouros all year round. I assume it'll be more suitable for warmer temps.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I recently bought Fraicheur and it's on the way. It should be a nice addition since I like Kouros all year round. I assume it'll be more suitable for warmer temps.
    Excellent purchase! I'm sure you'll love it... Please post your impressions once you take it for a spin...

Wow, it has been over a year, and what a roller-coaster of a year it has been for me.

I see I missed some questions here, my official appologies, but my job can be very demanding at times.

As discovolante points out in his signature, It is never too late to mend, so here I go/

@Kel..did not get a chance to see what version you weere reffering to. The link no longer works...but I am guessing it is the Energizing version. I did review that as well. You are welcom and I am glad you enjoyed the reviews.

@gupts...thanks for the bump!

@discovolante...I believe there were some travel sizes made but I have never seen the 30ml Fraicheur. Did you end up buying it?

@JBL, Hednic & KMF...thanks for your comments. Glad you find this all useful.

@Redneck Perfumisto... Eau de Sport is divine, but impossible to find. Fraicheur is the next best thing, but I am disgusted at the prices some sellers on eBay are asking. If you must have the original Kouros scent without so much civet then Summer 06 (first bottle ont he right in the blue bottles picture) is the way to go. Otherwise, Kouros Cologne Sport is citrus magic in a bottle. Perfect fo the heat.

@AromiErotici...please post your findings, I am curious.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

AromiErotici

I had been waiting to wear this 1993 flanker for awhile after reading reviews on it. It seemed that the original Kouros has a knack of being off-putting to some and YSL released Fraicheur and the Sport version. Mind you, off-putting or not, the original is still selling to this day and Fraicheur is discontinued.

With that said, I can see why Fraicheur would appeal to those offended by the testosterone level of its namesake. This is like Baby Kouros with simplistic citrus replacing the the growl and denseness of spicy wood and earthy florals. The opening is unmistakably Kouros, yet......there is nowhere near the gravitas of the original to be found here. That.....is not necessarily a bad thing when you think of warm to hot temps and being able to wear a Kouros wannabe. This is Kouros for the summertime folks....and it works wonderfully.

The bergamot in the opening is immediately followed by a minimalistic fruit accord. There is pineapple here in the heart, but it's more toned down than say that particular note in Lapidus. Whereas Lapidus is dominated by it from the opening bell, here in Fraicheur, it leaves room for the others to play their part. In other words, the fruit accord is balanced and easily traverses into the base of amber, patchouli and vetiver. The base is also balanced and much lighter than it's big brother.....and rightly so. It could not hold the title of Fraicheur otherwise.

All things considered, Kouros Fraicheur is a very good fragrance and an absolute winner in warmer temps for Kouros fans. I'm sure economics dictated the now discontinued status of this scent.......and it's too bad. I am pleased to have scored a bottle of this, especially for the price I paid for it on the bay. Baby Kouros gets a big thumbs up.

-which Kouros version do you prefer? (in the ALL family)

-is it true that body kouros is more woody and less sweet than original kouros? which one you prefer and why?

-which combination is better for a kouros fan, for the all year (including summer heat)? just original kouros + another one of the familiy for example? which one? or is maybe better just one?

thanks

I am so excited to have a bottle of Kouros Eau de Sport on the way from a Basenoter across the pond!! Seeing this thread is making me twitch a little. Need to try Fraicheur, too.

klopp:

1) Right now I prefer the original, but it may soon by unseated by Eau de Sport
    2) Body Kouros is a totally different scent that Kouros - hence it not being included by the OP. I don't find it woody - more incense than wood. It is much, much sweeter than the original.
    3) You would really use any of them all year, and in fact I feel that they may actually favor summer heat.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I'd love to get his thoughts on the 2009-2011 versions to see if they have differed any from the Tattoo Edition...

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    You would really use any of them all year, and in fact I feel that they may actually favor summer heat.
    so if the original one is nice in summer, what's the sense of lighter versions, like "Kouros summer" ??!
    Last edited by klopp; 7th April 2011 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klopp View Post
    so if the original one is nice in summer, what's the sense of lighter versions, like "Kouros summer" ??!
    Marketing. And people seem to like lighter scents. And people will buy whatever is new.

The fact is, any scent can be made "light" by adjusting the application style, so appropriateness for heat should be judged by the scent itself, not scent strength. And the actual smell of Kouros really works in the heat...for me, anyway.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

thanks...

waiting for your review of Kouros Eau de Sport

p.s. is there a kouros after shave alcol free?
    Last edited by klopp; 7th April 2011 at 04:58 PM.

Kouros has undergone at least one great reformulation. The Kouros which is on the shelves now is not how the original smelled; the original was stronger and more animalic; the present is cleaner and weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by pk116 View Post
    Kouros has undergone at least one great reformulation. The Kouros which is on the shelves now is not how the original smelled; the original was stronger and more animalic; the present is cleaner and weaker.
    unfortunately i never smelled the old one...

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I am so excited to have a bottle of Kouros Eau de Sport on the way from a Basenoter across the pond!! Seeing this thread is making me twitch a little. Need to try Fraicheur, too.

klopp:

1) Right now I prefer the original, but it may soon by unseated by Eau de Sport
    2) Body Kouros is a totally different scent that Kouros - hence it not being included by the OP. I don't find it woody - more incense than wood. It is much, much sweeter than the original.
    3) You would really use any of them all year, and in fact I feel that they may actually favor summer heat.
    Congrats. A kind Basenoter sold me a bottle of Eau de Sport last year and it's awesome. I still haven't gotten around to reviewing it. Like others have said, it smells more natural and "rounded". It also smells a lot better when you put it on skin as opposed to paper. I think it's likely that it smells closer to the original Kouros than does the new reformulated stuff.

Those crazy 80's; only then could something like this be called "sport". Maybe what you smell like after you've actually finished playing a sport!