Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: YSL KOUROS: The Complete Set Review

Andrewthecologneguy,how many different Tattoo editions did you count?I think that there is only one in existance,while others believe that there are even more.
    Thank's!
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    ...yes I have, why do you ask? I use it sometimes before applying KCS...I am guessing you want to comment about the concentration of urine note...it is very high in the KCS body gel for sure, highest for that particular scent, but for the original Kouros scent, the Plein Air has the highest concentration.
    Well, since I enjoy using scented shower gels, sometimes I get a 'feel' for what a fragrance smells like from the shower gel before I invest in a bottle of the fragrance. I was wondering if the shower gel is a true representation of the scent itself (it sounds like it is). Thanks.

I am a original Kouros fan, so I am sure the 'urine' note you're describing wouldn't bother me in the KCS.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th April 2009 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by discovolante View Post
    Andrewthecologneguy,how many different Tattoo editions did you count?I think that there is only one in existance,while others believe that there are even more.
    Thank's!
    d-vo, you are right, there is only one Tattoo edition, according to my research. If anyone can prove otherwise, please respond.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Well, since I enjoy using scented shower gels, sometimes I get a 'feel' for what a fragrance smells like from the shower gel before I invest in a bottle of the fragrance. I was wondering if the shower gel is a true representation of the scent itself (it sounds like it is). Thanks.

I am a original Kouros fan, so I am sure the 'urine' note you're describing wouldn't bother me in the KCS.
    Got it, cool! And yes, the shower gel is a very good representation of the scent. That said, I would be careful with, (go lightly). There have been times that I did not even need to apply the cologne itself!
    Last edited by Andrewthecologneguy; 14th April 2009 at 01:00 PM.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    Another update...
    matthewfoo, I think the flankers do deserve a second chance, especially since you are a Kouros fan. At least now, I hope you will know which one to go for.

I've only ever tried Body Kouros and KCS, great thread, am still itching to see a family portrait!
    Last edited by MFJ; 25th September 2009 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    ...great thread, am still itching to see a family portrait!
    There is one more to go, the Fraicheur flanker...should be here anytime now. For now, enjoy the partial portrait above. PM me if you are still looking for a flanker, I have a few doubles...
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Ok, this is finally done. Please PM me with questions or samples (decants).
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Thanks for doing this... Very interesting and informative!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kouros-Energizin...QQcmdZViewItem

Andrew- i can't tell if this one is in your collection or not. Is it? Thanks for your reviews!

It seems that this thread is suitable for the above question:
    Have you ever encountered any other packaging,for any Kouros variation,except the 50 ml and 100 ml bottles?
    There was a limited edition (traver retail, if I remember corectly) of the original Kouros containing a set of 2x30 ml bottles.
    Now,in my quest for the highly rated and rather hard to find Kouros Fraicheur, I found on offer a 30 ml/1 oz. bottle.The box, claiming the volume,is pictured too and looks all right to me.
    Rather than asking the eternal question (is it a fake, or not) I put the question in a slightly modified manner (see above) and I hope for a response .
    Thank's!
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

AromiErotici

I'm wearing OG Kouros today. I always enjoy the masculinity this exudes and can wholeheartedly understand why it's too much for some. IT simply works great on my skin and skin-type.

This thread has me intrigued about Eau de Kouros and Fraicheur. They sound similar, but better suited for warmer conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I'm wearing OG Kouros today. I always enjoy the masculinity this exudes and can wholeheartedly understand why it's too much for some. IT simply works great on my skin and skin-type.

This thread has me intrigued about Eau de Kouros and Fraicheur. They sound similar, but better suited for warmer conditions.
    Aromi, you know I'm a big Kouros fan, but I gotta admit that Fraicheur is awesome and is worth seeking out. It's great in any weather. It smells like Kouros, but not as lead-heavy and with more citrus. Never tried the Eau.

I still prefer the original though.

Sur la Plage

My favorites are Kouros (original) and Kouros Fraicheur.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Glad you have all of them.

I will read this very carefully as I somehow want to like a Kouros!
    Why? It seems a special line to me, not much people use it around here plus it's not expensive.
    Awesome! Thank you Andrewthecologneguy!

Blog Entries

Bravo, Andrew!

If I wanted the best flanker for the least effort in getting it, what would you recommend? Reading your excellent reviews, I already have an opinion what that might be, but I'm wondering what you think right now. I'm particularly interested in things with reduced civet, since the wife is a hater.

AromiErotici

I recently bought Fraicheur and it's on the way. It should be a nice addition since I like Kouros all year round. I assume it'll be more suitable for warmer temps.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I recently bought Fraicheur and it's on the way. It should be a nice addition since I like Kouros all year round. I assume it'll be more suitable for warmer temps.
    Excellent purchase! I'm sure you'll love it... Please post your impressions once you take it for a spin...

Wow, it has been over a year, and what a roller-coaster of a year it has been for me.

I see I missed some questions here, my official appologies, but my job can be very demanding at times.

As discovolante points out in his signature, It is never too late to mend, so here I go/

@Kel..did not get a chance to see what version you weere reffering to. The link no longer works...but I am guessing it is the Energizing version. I did review that as well. You are welcom and I am glad you enjoyed the reviews.

@gupts...thanks for the bump!

@discovolante...I believe there were some travel sizes made but I have never seen the 30ml Fraicheur. Did you end up buying it?

@JBL, Hednic & KMF...thanks for your comments. Glad you find this all useful.

@Redneck Perfumisto... Eau de Sport is divine, but impossible to find. Fraicheur is the next best thing, but I am disgusted at the prices some sellers on eBay are asking. If you must have the original Kouros scent without so much civet then Summer 06 (first bottle ont he right in the blue bottles picture) is the way to go. Otherwise, Kouros Cologne Sport is citrus magic in a bottle. Perfect fo the heat.

@AromiErotici...please post your findings, I am curious.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

AromiErotici

I had been waiting to wear this 1993 flanker for awhile after reading reviews on it. It seemed that the original Kouros has a knack of being off-putting to some and YSL released Fraicheur and the Sport version. Mind you, off-putting or not, the original is still selling to this day and Fraicheur is discontinued.

With that said, I can see why Fraicheur would appeal to those offended by the testosterone level of its namesake. This is like Baby Kouros with simplistic citrus replacing the the growl and denseness of spicy wood and earthy florals. The opening is unmistakably Kouros, yet......there is nowhere near the gravitas of the original to be found here. That.....is not necessarily a bad thing when you think of warm to hot temps and being able to wear a Kouros wannabe. This is Kouros for the summertime folks....and it works wonderfully.

The bergamot in the opening is immediately followed by a minimalistic fruit accord. There is pineapple here in the heart, but it's more toned down than say that particular note in Lapidus. Whereas Lapidus is dominated by it from the opening bell, here in Fraicheur, it leaves room for the others to play their part. In other words, the fruit accord is balanced and easily traverses into the base of amber, patchouli and vetiver. The base is also balanced and much lighter than it's big brother.....and rightly so. It could not hold the title of Fraicheur otherwise.

All things considered, Kouros Fraicheur is a very good fragrance and an absolute winner in warmer temps for Kouros fans. I'm sure economics dictated the now discontinued status of this scent.......and it's too bad. I am pleased to have scored a bottle of this, especially for the price I paid for it on the bay. Baby Kouros gets a big thumbs up.

-which Kouros version do you prefer? (in the ALL family)

-is it true that body kouros is more woody and less sweet than original kouros? which one you prefer and why?

-which combination is better for a kouros fan, for the all year (including summer heat)? just original kouros + another one of the familiy for example? which one? or is maybe better just one?

thanks

I am so excited to have a bottle of Kouros Eau de Sport on the way from a Basenoter across the pond!! Seeing this thread is making me twitch a little. Need to try Fraicheur, too.

klopp:

1) Right now I prefer the original, but it may soon by unseated by Eau de Sport
    2) Body Kouros is a totally different scent that Kouros - hence it not being included by the OP. I don't find it woody - more incense than wood. It is much, much sweeter than the original.
    3) You would really use any of them all year, and in fact I feel that they may actually favor summer heat.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I'd love to get his thoughts on the 2009-2011 versions to see if they have differed any from the Tattoo Edition...

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    You would really use any of them all year, and in fact I feel that they may actually favor summer heat.
    so if the original one is nice in summer, what's the sense of lighter versions, like "Kouros summer" ??!
    Last edited by klopp; 7th April 2011 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klopp View Post
    so if the original one is nice in summer, what's the sense of lighter versions, like "Kouros summer" ??!
    Marketing. And people seem to like lighter scents. And people will buy whatever is new.

The fact is, any scent can be made "light" by adjusting the application style, so appropriateness for heat should be judged by the scent itself, not scent strength. And the actual smell of Kouros really works in the heat...for me, anyway.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

thanks...

waiting for your review of Kouros Eau de Sport

p.s. is there a kouros after shave alcol free?
    Last edited by klopp; 7th April 2011 at 04:58 PM.

Kouros has undergone at least one great reformulation. The Kouros which is on the shelves now is not how the original smelled; the original was stronger and more animalic; the present is cleaner and weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by pk116 View Post
    Kouros has undergone at least one great reformulation. The Kouros which is on the shelves now is not how the original smelled; the original was stronger and more animalic; the present is cleaner and weaker.
    unfortunately i never smelled the old one...

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I am so excited to have a bottle of Kouros Eau de Sport on the way from a Basenoter across the pond!! Seeing this thread is making me twitch a little. Need to try Fraicheur, too.

klopp:

1) Right now I prefer the original, but it may soon by unseated by Eau de Sport
    2) Body Kouros is a totally different scent that Kouros - hence it not being included by the OP. I don't find it woody - more incense than wood. It is much, much sweeter than the original.
    3) You would really use any of them all year, and in fact I feel that they may actually favor summer heat.
    Congrats. A kind Basenoter sold me a bottle of Eau de Sport last year and it's awesome. I still haven't gotten around to reviewing it. Like others have said, it smells more natural and "rounded". It also smells a lot better when you put it on skin as opposed to paper. I think it's likely that it smells closer to the original Kouros than does the new reformulated stuff.

Those crazy 80's; only then could something like this be called "sport". Maybe what you smell like after you've actually finished playing a sport!