Code of Conduct

Default Should I stock up on Hermes Hiris (was it discontinued?)

Hiris has "vibes" of a discontinued fragrance -- it's not available in stores alongside other Hermes scents. It is only available at discounters, and many are out of stock. But I do not know whether it was officially discontinued.

However I saw this note today:

"Hiris was introduced in 1999 by the design house of Hermes. This fragrance is discounted while supplies last." http://www.perfume-99.com/html/HIRIS_for_Womens.html

Is that true? How long does a discontinued fragrance stick around after being nixed? I have a bottle that 3/4 full, but so far it's my favorite fragrance (and the price is fantastic, especially on testers.) If it stays around for 5 years, then no need to worry. But if it's gone this or next year, I definitely need a backup bottle.

What do you guys recommend? And anyone knows if it was definitely discontinued?

Default Re: Should I stock up on Hermes Hiris (was it discontinued?)

I never heard it was being discontinued...but I don't see it on their website, so you may be right.

I saw it in their boutique a few months ago.

Off-Scenter

Hiris may be, like Eau d'Hermès, available only in Hermès boutiques, not in department stores or retailers like Sephora.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me. The packaging was so butt-ugly. The fragrance is quite lovely, however. They should dump the heavy blue bottle and put this one in a beautiful clear one, get some floral motif going on and relaunch it. It's much better than many of Ellena's milquetoast Hermes creations .
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 27th February 2009 at 03:56 AM.

Discontinued?

Thanks a lot, "The Guide" ...
    -

I saw it in Saks not that long ago. Even if it's not discontinued, I'd grab it from discounters before they don't get any new stock from Hermes. To buy directly from Hermes is very, very expensive (i.e. 100ml Eau d'Hermes is $105), and right now it's fairly inexpensive via online sites. A generous BNer sold me a bottle a while ago, and I'm very glad to have it.

Looks like there are bottles on eBay as low as $27 for 50ml

I've gone back and forth on Hiris twice, tested it, didn't like it, got a bottle in a swap, wore it for a while then swapped it, then decided to retry it (acquired another swap bottle), and ultimately decided its too vegetal. Between many people being anosmic to it, and my reaction that it turns to celery on me, I'm not surprised that its been discontinued. I think there are many better iris scents out there - including SNM Iris and SL Iris Silver Mist. Perhaps more expensive than the discounted Hiris, but for good reason IMO.

I had the same doubts last year and got a bottle, because mine was already half-empty, and I couldn't imagine life without Hiris. Though I have both SL Iris Silver Mist and TDC Bois d'Iris, I find Hiris very special. I love the frosted blue bottle, too!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I never heard it was being discontinued...but I don't see it on their website, so you may be right.
    It was on their website a few months ago - I distinctly remember seeing it. Now, like sofresh said, it is not. That is not a good sign.

I had heard Hiris was being discontinued by a SA at Neiman's about a year ago, but I didn't believe her because it was on the Hermes website. Now that it's not, I think it's worth considering if you love it.

I personally don't like Hiris.

I don't believe it is, it's still sold at the Hermès store in Paris, at the airport (ChDG) and at Georges V and many other places, maybe they want it to become more "exclusive"?
    Stock up only if you like it is my opinion, for bottle collectors, just one or 2 will suffice.
    In case someone will like it somewhere...

I am not too much of a fan of it, as i believe there are better Iris scents out there...

Two years and a half after someone started this thread and I have the same question: NOW I don't see Hiris on the Hermes website and I found bottles for a surprisingly decent price at our local Hermes boutique.
    Can anyone please confirm if Hiris is still in production?

Thank you!
    Last edited by GelbeDomino; 13th November 2011 at 08:14 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

We saw it at the Hermès boutique in Boston over the summer....

There are also bottles of it at the Buenos Aires boutique but its cheap-ish price and the fact of not seeing it on the Hermes web made me wonder.