Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Tom Ford Italian Cypress

Really good, but I don't think it's any better than Aramis Devin which it strongly reminds me of in the dry-down...

I happen to sample IC this weekend (before noticing this thread). It occured to me how similar it was to something I must have worn somewhere in the 80's. What vaguely came to mind was Pierre Cardin (pour Homme?). I had earlier made a mental note back when I sampled Creed's Bois du Portugal (mentioned above as a similar fragrance) as being similar to Pierre Cardin as well. Having owned Halston's Z-14 (also mentioned above), I would agree how someone might make the comparison of similarity to TF Italian Cypress as well. I can't imagine myself spending serious money on an expensive fragrance with no obvious "new ground broaken" and with forerunners which cost but a fraction of the price.

Since this has resurfaced, I'll post my thoughts on it. It opens with a marvellous, deep coniferous green note. However (unfortunately) it very quickly gets a note which smells exactly like a dirty ashtray. That note competes with the nicer green note. I don't care for the ashtray note, otherwise I agree that the scent is incredible.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Tried this some time ago and loved it. It is definitely on my to try again-and-again list.

what's the best season for this scent?

Quote Originally Posted by klopp View Post
    All seasons and occasions, but not for the most casual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    All seasons and occasions, but not for the most casual events.
    Agree with this, in particular the bit in bold.

Saying that, I almost feel sorry for my bottle. It received two weeks of loving attention before it was pushed aside by Tobacco Vanille, M7 and bODY kOUROS.

I get the feeling i'll reach for it as the weather cools and we enter the autumn months, at least I hope so. It's a shame to leave it standing around after all.

Quote Originally Posted by klopp View Post
    IMO, Fall/Winter. The woods and patchouli are pretty potent!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

To me it drys down to a way too sweet buttered cinnamon toast. Too sweet for me. Maybe it works better when it cools down. Obviously a remake of Halston Z-14 also.

so cold weather overall.

i can't see the time to try it, but damn it' s expensive...

Definitely a cooler weather scent, the only time i wouldn't wear IC would be in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Since this has resurfaced, I'll post my thoughts on it. It opens with a marvellous, deep coniferous green note. However (unfortunately) it very quickly gets a note which smells exactly like a dirty ashtray. That note competes with the nicer green note. I don't care for the ashtray note, otherwise I agree that the scent is incredible.
    Actually, this is why I love IC. At first, I felt that it smells almost exactly like Tuscany by Aramis, but the dry down opened up to this rich smoky sweet scent and that's where it got me. I keep thinking of being in an exclusive wood paneled club where men in smoking jackets smoked cigars.

Italian Cypress won me over the first instance I tried it.

The heart enriches the fantastic opening. Many green frags open with a bang and then quietly fizz away a silent death. IC evolves in a way that's a throwback to the old classics. Love it!

It's definitely one of my favorites from TF.

Yeah, looking forward to fall so I can bust this and a couple other favorites out of the drawer...

Wearing IC today... In the last few weeks, it's been my most worn fragrance. It's great! I love the green vibe. It's classy, refined and natural smelling.
    I don't get any ash tray notes.
    LOST! in scent and music

So for some reason I'd yet to try IC despite trying most of the private ones like Oud Wood, Champacca, etc. Unlike many here the initial blast isn't what made me like this, it was the midnotes where I couldn't belive how good it was. I had it on skin and a card. The longevity on both was amazing. This morning the card still has a drydown that I can smell from a few feet away. To me the drydown is a mix of Polo Modern Reserve(less green/citrusy) and Halston Z-14. It is a a very smoothy, classy green that is sexy, not harsh. My only beef is that I'll never buy it for its current price.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Just received a sample of this and WOW, initial top notes are amazing! It has a bit of an 80s vibe, yet still modern too. I will need to see how it develops and if it lasts, but really did not know what to expect with this one and was pleasantly suprised. I can see this being a great daily wear, very versatile scent

I like Italian Cypress a lot, but I agree that most of its DNA is shared with Z-14 and the original Polo. IC is superior to both of those, but is it really worth 10 times the price?

For me, all of these fragrances seem to have a narrow margin of safety and a high penalty for overspraying: too much, and the scent quickly becomes unpleasant.

Definitely smells similar to Z-14. Like a more high class and expensive Z-14.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Do you think Italian Cypress works well as a summer scent?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Do you think Italian Cypress works well as a summer scent?
    Hi Oslo,

IMO, Yes. I wore it the other day and it was around 30 degrees celsius and humid. I found the fragrance shone and worked brilliantly in the heat. I would wear this all year round- no problem.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sprung for the 250ml decanter at first try. So it's safe to say I rather like it too!

I have and love it as well. Could be a little less expensive though

Has anybody tried the fragrance oil of this that they sell on Ebay ? It looks tempting but these oils are a hit or miss in my experience.

Thanks

I wasn't aware they sell fragrance oils of this fragrance.

Link please!

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    Link please!

Just go on Ebay and do a search for "Tom Ford Italian Cypress Oil". It sells for around $18 4ml which includes shipping. I find that way too high for a fragrance oil. The average price should be around $4.

However if they did an excellent job with this and it lasted for a few hours on the skin I would gladly pay $18. Recently I purchased a Platinum Egoiste and although it smelled very similar to the original it only lasted for an 1hr. So why bother.

Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Just go on Ebay and do a search for "Tom Ford Italian Cypress Oil". It sells for around $18 4ml which includes shipping. I find that way too high for a fragrance oil. The average price should be around $4.

However if they did an excellent job with this and it lasted for a few hours on the skin I would gladly pay $18. Recently I purchased a Platinum Egoiste and although it smelled very similar to the original it only lasted for an 1hr. So why bother.

Let us know how it goes.
    I figure this is a joke, but I don't get how this is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    I figure this is a joke, but I don't get how this is funny.
    Take a deep breath then release. Drop the "oil" and just put in " Tom Ford Italian Cypress". I just saw it.

Not everyone is out to make your day a miserable one.

Still love it. This was my SOTD and SOTE. Glad I have a back-up bottle, my only one. Current Top 5 scent.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Must be a skin chemistry thing. For once, in my favor! (I can't rock Cool Water, Allure, etc.)

This is me. My wife loved it this AM, and one of my employees complimented me as well.

Very manly and pretty tenacious. 4 sprays and it's still very noticeable. Classy and old school.

It's 95 degrees and it works for me. And YES!!! It does smell like Halston Z-14, only like an EDP of that.

I paid approx. $75 for a brand new bottle and I don't regret a penny. For once! So many blind buys, so many regrets...but not this time.