Code of Conduct

Default Geo F Trumper Wellington Cologne

I am a big fan of Trumpers and have many in my wardrobe. They remain as one of my top three houses. However, one cologne from their rather large range had evaded me until today. I had never smelled Wellington. Now I have sampled it - and I promptly purchased a bottle.

This starts with the most wonderful, sharp and very natural smelling lemon note and it is apparent that this is the granddaddy of GFT. The unusual (even slightly odd?) but really rather good complex accord which sits just under this holding it up smells of citrus including a touch of lovely bergamot, some bitter orange, a sharp, bright style neroli, other darker florals and a musk which seems particularly well blended here with some rosemary which continues the sharp acidity of the top. Again I detect a little drop of the "milky" floral aldehyde which trumpers seem to use frequently and froms a little of their signature (as well as the heart of the wierd Milk of Flowers). Maybe a little of the blackcurrant suimilar to eucris too, or a little mint and a touch of cypres or pine.

A deep, rich complex accord which morphs slowly bringing different aspects to the fore.

I can't believe I missed this for so long.........
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 27th February 2009 at 06:21 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Default Re: Geo F Trumper Wellington Cologne

You've convinced me to dig out my sample of this. Im sure I have one somewhere.

I'll have to try it as well. Hopefully I can find a sample here in the States. I adore their rose shaving cream.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    I'll have to try it as well. Hopefully I can find a sample here in the States. I adore their rose shaving cream.
    The rose shaving cream is great, I've also tried the sandalwood one too which has a very nice smell when lathered up.

This is just a suggestion but for a bit of variety I tried some Taylors of old bond st shaving cream. The tubs are slightly smaller than trumpers but they are also half the price. Last one I bought was Mr Taylor shave cream and im sure it was only about 6.50GBP.

Taylors Shaving Shop cologne is lovely too.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    This starts with the most wonderful, sharp and very natural smelling lemon note...
    The unusual (even slightly odd?) but really rather good complex accord ...
    I detect a little drop of the "milky" floral aldehyde which trumpers seem to use frequently and froms a little of their signature (as well as the heart of the wierd Milk of Flowers). ...a touch of cypres or pine.
    I agree that Trumper is a wonderful House. I have tried Wellington, but have not bought it. For me, it is very simiilar to Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (a frosty-cool lemon-herbal-pine brew), which I have and enjoy. For those who have tried the two, how would you compare them?
    For me, Wellington has a kind of odd note, as Hirch says. I always have the image of stale lemon drops in a dusty jar in the middle of a library full of old books, with that old-paper and glue smell. Perhaps that is the milky floral aldehyde. BB doesn't have that note, and I guess I like it better for that reason.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Had it on for about an hour this morning and loved the citrus opening. Now that it has dried a bit it reminds me of Euthymol toothpaste, which, luckily for me, I love.

I think I might test this again but considering the price I'd be tempted to buy a bottle