Code of Conduct

Thread: The Razorpit

Default The Razorpit

Has anyone seen in real life or used one of these Razorpit Razor Blade sharpeners?

They look pretty good and the idea is that it has a silicone block in it which you can use to clean and sharpen your razor blades. Now im not talking about an alternative to a strop im talking about a block/stand which has been designed to sharpen cartriges(sp) like mach 3, wilkinson sword etc.

They claim that using the razorpit you can get up to 150 shave out a mach 3 blade.

I find it hard to believe but has anyone seen or used one?

Default Re: The Razorpit

Try following in here. People are discussing our product at the Mankind.co.uk - Forum.

The product was only launched a month ago in Britain, but we have sold 5000 units in Denmark, and people are giving great feedback.

Regards

Jesper Hvejsel
    CEO
    RazorPit

No idea. I use a straight razor, myself...
    - E.J.

That doesn't happen very often... a company's CEO shows up to answer a question! I thought it was an April Fool's joke at first, but this guy seems serious!

Personally, I am not into it. I've seen infomercials about a very similar product, and immediately wrote it off as a cheap gimmick. I might be wrong; Maybe this thing is great.

I don't use a straight razor, but I do switch off between vintage Gillette superspeeds and a Schick Quattro Titanium. The Superspeeds use old-fashioned razor blades that you replace, and they're very cheap. And the Schick has little guard wires going over the blades, so even if this product did work, it really wouldn't be for me.

Still, I have the same question as the original poster: Does this thing really work?! Unfortunately, taking advice from the CEO of a company about their product is like asking a New York hot dog vendor on the street if his food is fresh. "Of course!"
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Hi Again,

I know of to other products save-a-blade and the Razor Saver. Save-a-blade i a small electrical thing that uses small paper to clean the razor, Razor Saver claims that a type of glas can do the trick.

I know that taking my word for my own product is a lot like your example with the hotdog vendor. So i hope you like hotdogs :-)

We have had great succes with the product, and at mankind.co.uk they have sold over 500 units in one month.

The way the product works is by cleaning the surface of the by having it come into contact with the surface of the RazorPit this cleans away any dirt or residue and leaves the blade clean and sharp.

But i would like to offer a test, if one of you would like to test the product, i will give you a full refund if you feel it does not work. Send me an e-mail at jeh@razorpit.com i will give you the details.

Regards

Jesper Hvejsel
    CEO
    RazorPit

Here is a link to a thread over at Badger & Blade regarding the Razorpit. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...light=razorpit Unfortunately, nobody there has tried it either. Maybe someone over there might be interested in your offer - B&B is a forum dedicated to shaving.

In my opinion, claiming that the product is worthwhile simply because the company is selling a lot of units doesn't really hold up to my logic, as I've seen a lot of other crappy products become successful. I want to hear a shaving enthusiast over at Badger & Blade tell me that "Yes, in fact, you can make one cartridge last 150 shaves with this product."

Scandinavian engineering does seem to have a good reputation, but this still seems like something that was invented in the orient to me.

I'm pretty much embittered to all forms of advertising and hold absolutely no faith in most modern products that claim to fix something or make life SO much easier. So I guess I'm biased. But I can't help but be skeptical about something like this with such a bold claim. (150 shaves per cartridge)
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

If the goal is to clean the razor then I think hot water would do that. If the goal is to hone and strop the blades I can't think how some mail-order device will properly do something that takes people a long time to master.

Considering how this contraption works, I see no reason why it wouldn't work with DE razor blades. Seems to me it might work even better since one could take the blade out of the housing to clean BOTH SIDES of the two edges (carefully!). Or, one could clean one side of the blade, open the housing, flip the blade, reassemble the housing, and repeat the procedure on the other side of the blade - safer than working with the bare razor blade.

Might even work for a straight razor.

Electric razor? Probably not.

http://www.razorpit.com/how-does-razorpit-work.html
    Last edited by MadScientist; 7th April 2009 at 08:55 PM.

It MIGHT work (somehow) with DE blades, but those are not designed to be re-sharpened and are like 20 cents a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    but those are not designed to be re-sharpened
    Neither are the cartridge types. Besides, the blades are only being cleaned, not (re)sharpened.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    ...and are like 20 cents a piece.
    Waste is waste and money is money - it all adds up. 150 uses compared to 5-10 is still a big difference. I think 150 uses is a little optimistic (as you point out), but even 75 would still make me happy....or would it? Would I bother with the extra work/shaves from the contraption considering only 20-50 cents a blade and such a small piece of material to take up space in a landfill? I'm not sure I'm that OCD, environmentally-speaking.

I'd like to hear Mr. Razorpit's thoughts on this. Are DE razor blades subject to the same type of scum buildup that cause the cartridge blades to dull or are the DE blades so thin that the edges actually become deformed (dull) after a few uses?
    Last edited by MadScientist; 7th April 2009 at 09:42 PM.

DE Razor blades are subject to the same problems with rests of skin and soap building up on the razorblade. In regards to how thin they are, the blades are about the same in a cartridge, there is just for example 3 in a cartridge. You should be able to use the RazorPit with DE razor blades. I have not tested it my self, but customers through mankind how found it to be working.

We all now that we can be biased by a lot of products promising to much. We have all been scammed at some time, and that is probably our biggest problem. How do we sell a product that actually delivers something that most people think cant be done, and furthermore where one of the biggeste companies in the world, P&G, say it cant be done?

Quote Originally Posted by RazorPit View Post
    How do we sell a product that actually delivers something that most people think cant be done, and furthermore where one of the biggeste companies in the world, P&G, say it cant be done?
    Send me one and I'll make my experience known. I'll either send it back or pay for it, based on the results.

im going to get one soon and will let you all know. i am a very keen shaver.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    So did anyone actually get to try this?
    Ha ha, I don't think so. Im pretty sure the majority of people were put off by the advertising however.................................

I was in the Comme des Garcons store in Glasgow last week and I was having a chat with the guy who works there. We were chatting about fragrance, clothes, lifestyle, making a CdG website and we got on to the topic of shaving when he said "I've got this product that you might like......"

Turns out he was talking about the razorpit. He said that it hones the blade on a mach 3 the way a leather strop whoul hone a cut-throat razor....... he was currently 44 shaves and still going strong.

I trust him and his word was enough for me to add one of these to my shopping list.

He also added another point. How long is it gonna be till Gillette buy out this product and do away with it because it is losing them money?

Bought one, will be trying it out tomorrow

Well as far as honing the blade and making it clean and sharp it does indeed do that. This shave was closer and cleaner than the 1st shave with the current blade so for that reason I'm glad I spent the money.

A month ago I bought an 8 pack of mach 3 blades and the one on my razor is the first from that pack, so technically, continuous use of the razor pit should allow me up to 150 shaves per blade. By this calculation on an average of 4 shaves per week, I shouldn't have to buy any mach 3 blades for over 5 and a half years.

Only time will tell. I guess that even if this product had over sold itself, if I get 1 year out of 8 blades then the razorpit will have paid for itself.

Ok you talked me into it andy . Just ordered one.
    I hate the indesicion over whether to try and squeeze one more shave outta a blade.....
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Hirch, I'm curious what you think of your razorpit. Thanks
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I bought a Razorpit a few months ago. I hate shaving, but I hate bristles more, so anything that can make the shaving experience better is a winner for me. First of all, my shaving kit of choice is Gillette Fusion and David Somerset oils. I find a Fusion blade, for me, stays comfortable for 5-6 days, after that it's too blunt and makes my skin sore. Not sure if I'm super-pubic or just have sensitive skin. At £8 for a 4-pack of Fusions, that means I get through about a pack a month.

The Razorpit was £19.95. I figured if it worked, it would pay for itself soon enough. If it didn't, well, £19.95 wasn't going to break the bank. I haven't looked back. You can read my review at the Mankind site (where I am called Cheese Dave - I mis-typed entering my name when I registered for this site - doh). Basically I'm getting at least 3 weeks out of a blade, often only changing it cos I'm bored of the old blade, not because it's blunt! Razorpit rocks, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Cheese Dave

If you are a "wet shaver" consider the old double edge safety razor. I've used one for the last 4 weeks and it offers a much closer shave when compared to the 3 or 4 or 5... blade cartridge. The first couple of weeks are challenging but when you'll get the hang of it soon enough. Funnily I'm yet to shave against the grain. Costwise the DE offers huge savings, not as important to me as seeing the improvement on my skin.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I bought a Merkur DE today, having been tempted by your post, Jim. I'll give it a shot over the next few days and let you know how I get on, or indeed if I have any face left.

Dave.

The Razorpit was good, but following Jim's recommendation I am now a confirmed DE shaver. And moving on to straight razors. No looking back. Thanks, Jim!

Dave.

AFTER USING THE RAZORPIT, I CAN SAY THAT ITS A BIG SCAM. THEY CLAIMED TO FOR 150 AND I COULD BARELY SEE THE RESULTS OR ANY CHANGEMENT. 5000 UNITS SOLD IN DANEMARK, I GUESS ITS AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY, AND PEOPLE WORKING ON THIS 'BIG WASTE ON MONEY PRODUCT' I ALWAYS BUY PRODUCT BY CURIOSITY AND NEVER COMPLAIN! AND I PAYED 50$ WITH SHIPPING AND AT LEAST IF I COULD GET BACK MY MONEY BY USING AT LEAST 2 MONTHS, I WOULDNT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT.. 15OTIMES 'WHAT A LIE'
    PLUS IM 100% WITH MadScientisT'S COMMENT, THIS JUST CLEANS YOUR RAZORS, DOESNT SHARPEN IT, AND ALSO DONT FORGET THAT OTHER PEOPLE RELATED TO THIS PRODUCT CAN GO AND COMMENT OUT ANYWHERE. AS I CAN SEE HERE EVEN THE CEO OF THIS PRODUCT IS HERE AND TALKING ABOUT THIS SO CALLED 'AMAZING PRODUCT'. PLEASE DO US A FAVOR AND DONT MAKE US WASTE OUR TIME AND MONEY WE WORK HARD FOR IT!!

THANK YOU

Hi Mandigo,

If you are not satisfied, send me an e-mail and I will get your money back.

We have over 50.000 satisfied customers by now, and I am confident that they are not all my friends.

And just for my interest, where did you pay 50 dollars for it? We ship the product for 37 dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by RazorPit View Post
    Hi Mandigo,

If you are not satisfied, send me an e-mail and I will get your money back.

We have over 50.000 satisfied customers by now, and I am confident that they are not all my friends.
    No product can ever satisfy all its customers. Therefore I think it's perfectly fine if there are some customers who are dissatisfied.
    If however customers who are satisfied are in the minority, then of course it's trouble time.

I've never tried Razorpit but I was tempted once to get it. However there is such an endless supply of extremely cheap razor blades on ebay that the cost of blades doesn't bother me anymore. If I were paying retail price for Mach 3 or Schick Quattro blades then Razorpit would've upheld its importance.

Hi 'RazorPit'
    Money Is not the Issue here.

Thanks

Well I have one and use it regularly. It does not sharpen and describing it as a sharpener is a bit naughty. It does, however clean the blades quite well and has extended some blades' life for months for me, other blades it seems to only extend them to double life, not sure where the variation comes from?

The other day I noticed my blade was a bit "draggy" in the middle of a shave and razorpitted it, it made a definite immediate difference.

I am not associated with razorpit in any way.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

reviews

Hi Hirch_duckfinder
    I understand your opinion and I thank you for your response; I just wondering why you have to confirmed at the end 'I am not associated with razorpit in any way.' I mean if someone is not associated with somebody, why the need to mentioned; or I guess you really had the need to make me believe that. But its Ok thank you for your time.

Mandingo

Quote Originally Posted by Mandingo View Post
    Hi Hirch_duckfinder
    I understand your opinion and I thank you for your response; I just wondering why you have to confirmed at the end 'I am not associated with razorpit in any way.' I mean if someone is not associated with somebody, why the need to mentioned; or I guess you really had the need to make me believe that. But its Ok thank you for your time.

Mandingo
    Mandingo....It is not unusual to include a little disclaimer at the end of one's post if one is recommending a product or website. It just makes things clear to other readers that the recommendation or praise is not coming from an insider.....

All right, :-) If you guys said so! You guys really working hard on this Product :P
    Going to see my kids now. As far i'm concern this topic is finished for me :-)

Have a good night

Mandingo

Quote Originally Posted by Mandingo View Post
    All right, :-) If you guys said so! You guys really working hard on this Product :P
    Going to see my kids now. As far i'm concern this topic is finished for me :-)

Have a good night

Mandingo
    Do your research before throwing accusations around. I am well known around these boards - look at my join date and number of posts.

reviews

FYI, apparently just the simple act of stropping hones the blades. anything with a bit of resistance like say jeans should do the trick... I suggest taking a dull/dead blade you're about to throw out and give this a shot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Kxiom83Js
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Bump.

Just thought I'd record that I've been using the razor pit for some months now - and it genuinely works. I use Mach3 blades and I would usually get a week out of a blade. Using the razor pit I am easily getting one month. It's paid for itself in no time. And I'm sending fewer blades to landfill.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

What actually happens when a razor edge or any sharp blade edge for that matter is stropped on a suitable material is the extremely thin molecular edge metal, which has become folded over or lost to one degree or another from use, is straightened out to something close to or even better than the original edge, resulting in again sharp edge metal.

Eventually enough of the edge metal is so seriously bent over or lost during use that stropping cannot recreate the extremely sharp original edge. That is when honing becomes necessary, to recreate another extremely thin, sharp edge, which can again be stropped x number of times to remove fold-overs and partially correct metal losses that dull it.
    Last edited by kbe; 17th February 2011 at 11:35 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I thought about what Razorpit actually does - which is cleaning the blade gently. I've been using my finger to rub (in one direction, obviously), each time for about a minute after, and sometimes before shaving for 19 days now and still using the same cartridge. Which, given that I usually have only about 5 shaves/cartridge, is amazing. So, I suspect that Razorpit works, but why buy one when manually cleaning the blade with fingers seems to do the same thing - with the same amount of energy and it's one less thing to have in the bathroom? (Seems a little like buying a stainless steel 'egg' to get the garlic smell off fingers when rubbing one's hand on a sink will do as well)

bill, welcome to Basenotes.

You may be interested in the following thread about extending razor life, especially as the method suggested therein lets you keep your fingerprints:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...sposable-Razor

Hi,
    I'd like you to comment on the function of Razorpit again..
    When using with any of the Gillette's 3 to 6 blade cartridges, is the Razorpit supposed to touch the blades?
    I see that there is a metal clips at each end of the cartridge (part 32, see patent http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7197825.html) to hold it together and that lifts the blades about 1mm off the surface. This is also shown in the closeup image: . The patent states the exposure to tangential surface of three intermediate blades are zero while the front has -0.04mm and last blade has +0.04mm? exposure. However this tangential surface is measured of bulging skin whereas RazorPit from my understanding does not have similar properties.

Should the RazorPit have a widht of maximum of the blade width (Pat. Fig 26. L b = ~34.4mm) so that it fits between the clips and touches the blades firmly?

And what about then the guard (part 22) and the lubricating strip (part 26)? What happens to those after a month of use?

Well I use it and I must say - it was worth the money. I have only had it 2 months (with the same cartridge) and it has provided a comfortable shave without buying new blades. 10/10

Well, I started straight away with an old cartridge and I must say it's not feeling more comfortable. I suppose it does nothing to improve the old cartridges...mainly, as I described above, it does not touch the blades really.
    I'll try next with a new cartridge and wait to see if I get the same 2 months result as you.

Quote Originally Posted by topias View Post
    Well, I started straight away with an old cartridge and I must say it's not feeling more comfortable. I suppose it does nothing to improve the old cartridges...mainly, as I described above, it does not touch the blades really.
    I'll try next with a new cartridge and wait to see if I get the same 2 months result as you.
    Correct - it's a cleaning system, not a sharpening system. If your blades are already shot it cannot repair them.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjreid View Post
    Has anyone seen in real life or used one of these Razorpit Razor Blade sharpeners?

They look pretty good and the idea is that it has a silicone block in it which you can use to clean and sharpen your razor blades. Now im not talking about an alternative to a strop im talking about a block/stand which has been designed to sharpen cartriges(sp) like mach 3, wilkinson sword etc.

They claim that using the razorpit you can get up to 150 shave out a mach 3 blade.

I find it hard to believe but has anyone seen or used one?
    I did some research and found the Razorpit the cheapest online at www.mdyshop.nl. Even at razorpit.com or .nl the product is more expensive. They deliver it for Ä 14,95. I bought it and it really works like Andyjreid says.

Well, I bought a Razorpit. I had nothing to compare it to as I had just started wet shaving again. I started using it on my Gillette Fusion cartridge, and after three weeks of use, it still seems okay to me.

Then I remembered my old two-blade cartridges. I use these to shave the back of my neck and associated area about once a month, slicing off 1cm length hair. I retire them after I get to the point that it takes three or four passess to get the hair off, and I start getting frustrated. I had a cartridge container with 5 old used two-blade cartridges. I applied them to the Razorpit. I then used one to do the back of my neck. It worked like new - one pass and it cleared everything. How that translates to shaving a face I don't know yet.

I note that when the topic came up recently at Blade & Badger, there were plenty of people swearing that the Razorpit worked - not for 150 shaves per cartridge - but there were those who claimed that whereas they used to get 5 or 15 shaves per cartridge, they now got something like 15 or 45 shaves repectively.

The idea behind the Razorpit isn't to make very blunt blades sharp, but to make blades last longer by cleaning their edges so that it takes longer for them to go blunt, and to makes semi-blunt blades work better. The cartridges are meant to be cleaned after every shave, and stored with blades upright while they dry.
    Regards,
    Renato

I have been getting the same effect for years by rubbing the blades of cartridge razors over my palm, or a towel either before or after shaving. Obviously I do this in the opposite direction to actually shaving!

It's warm here. Razorpit... , Well i have an off topic question, hope you guys won't mind. In winter, cutting your skin makes you pay more than usual. In that case, i use safety razor. Can anyone here care enough to share the perfect techniques of using straight razors. I searched over web, but got similar and satisfying answers for safety blades, razors etc. You can also give a look here: http://www.apennyshaved.com/whats-the-best-safety-razor, but i want to use Straight razor.. So anyone, who think he is a perfect user of straight razor, share some pics or video stuff.