Code of Conduct

Default looking for something lemony/limey

hi all,

i'm a 26 year old guy and i'm looking for something for the spring and summer. i generally don't like heavy fragrances and i love the smell of lemons and limes. i'd really like something bright and crisp that isn't offensive or musky in any way, just really refreshing.

i've done some research and found out about carthusia mediterraneo, which is apparently a great fragrance. i previously used bulgari extreme (it might be called bulgari vert, though... it was a light greenish color and i haven't been able to find it anywhere lately). i'm not quite sure of any other fragrances that are specifically lemon or lime related, though. i know it sounds really dumb but i'd love it if it smelled like you were standing in the middle of an orchard of lemon and lime trees and got a whiff of the wind passing you by.

anyway, if anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks a bunch :-)

Default Re: looking for something lemony/limey

well.. Acqua Di Gio?
    unico grande amore.

Hi there, and welcome to BN postings! Great question, I like the image of being in the middle of a citrus orchard.
    Here is one well worth checking out: Crabtree & Evelyn's West Indian Lime. It has excellent lime notes, with a bit of light wood and musk. Very refreshing. Also it comes in a great shower gel, and the price is right on all this stuff.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Hello! And a very warm welcome to Basenotes!

Its funny you should ask but for me, Allure Homme is VERY accurately Lemon/Lime (http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120079.html) It might be worth a try? I've also heard great things about the art of Shaving products...
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

Thumbs down Re: looking for something lemony/limey

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Wüst View Post
    well.. Acqua Di Gio?
    Is this your defacto recommendation ?

This is not the most exquisite recommendation, but my choice at the moment is Versace Baby Blue Jeans for the lime note. It is noticeable and while I have not worn it outside the house yet, I haev tested it numerous times.

I picked up a bottle over the winter, which is a bit out of season for this fragrance. But I find it pleasant and a bit powdery. I was convinced by all the talk on Basenotes, plus the good reviews and the nice bottle to pick it up. It is not groundbreaking, but if you like it, then good enough. It is not a heavy fragrance.

Hopefully you can test it out somewhere to see if you like it.

Lemony:
    Art of Shaving - Lemon (lemon lemon lemon)
    AdP - Colonia (lemons and roses)
    Ineke - Derring-Do (lemons and magnolia)

Limes:
    Stardust for men (limey accord over an elegant base)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I would also recommend Versace Baby Blue Jeans. It can be bought cheap. I just bought myself a bottle.

http://www.scentmonkey.com/product.php?code=M-T-1351

"i generally don't like heavy fragrances and i love the smell of lemons and limes. i'd really like something bright and crisp that isn't offensive or musky in any way, just really refreshing."

Just going by that, I would recommend Mugler Cologne. It's got the lime (no lemon though) and it's the least offensive scent I've ever tried. It's also very energizing + relaxing... just sprayed it on a few minutes ago, and I feel ready to go back to hitting the books!

Have your tried Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil? Even though it doesn't list lemon or lime as a note, I get a very tart almost lime impression from the green mango. I love this one in warm weather.

Notes in Un Jardin Sur le Nil:
    Green mango, lotus flower, aromatic rushes, incense and sycamore wood.

You want Royal Water by Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by zanyzach37 View Post
    hi all,

i'm a 26 year old guy and i'm looking for something for the spring and summer. i generally don't like heavy fragrances and i love the smell of lemons and limes. i'd really like something bright and crisp that isn't offensive or musky in any way, just really refreshing.

i've done some research and found out about carthusia mediterraneo, which is apparently a great fragrance. i previously used bulgari extreme (it might be called bulgari vert, though... it was a light greenish color and i haven't been able to find it anywhere lately). i'm not quite sure of any other fragrances that are specifically lemon or lime related, though. i know it sounds really dumb but i'd love it if it smelled like you were standing in the middle of an orchard of lemon and lime trees and got a whiff of the wind passing you by.

anyway, if anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks a bunch :-)

"Cheapos" that are well made include Montana (blue box) for lemon, and Azzaro Silver/Black (or Onyx) and Samba Kiss Me Man for lime.

I love the lime in creed's Virgin Island Water.

If you like your lemon to slap you around and get your attention, my suggestion would be Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal. If you like something that speaks of sun-drenched mediterranean citrus breezes then you're wanting Terre de Hermes. That one is so fresh and clean. Test it out if you get a chance.

I think your original idea for Carthusia's Mediterraneo was spot on. What an awesome citrus scent that is. I have a mini of it, and I dole it out on rare occasions like gold! It's bright, crisp, super citrusy but not bitter, and very refreshing. Just gorgeous, and so Italian.

to my nose Bowling Green has that lemony/limey type thing going.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

Just going by that, I would recommend Mugler Cologne. It's got the lime (no lemon though) and it's the least offensive scent I've ever tried. It's also very energizing + relaxing... just sprayed it on a few minutes ago, and I feel ready to go back to hitting the books!
    If it helps me get some work and studying done, I should pick up a bottle of Mugler Cologne myself. I do find it extreamly pleasant, just a bit "light" for a SotD.

This is going to ruin your life, but you have to try Trumper's West Indian Limes. It is the most incredibly natural, zesty, zingy lime cologne ever. And it lasts about ten minutes. So get ready to use it by the gallon, but trust me, it is so f*%&# good you won't be able to live without it. Addicton is the term I'm looking for here.

As a consolation, Monsieur Balmain is a wonderful strong and well-lasting lemon scent that is amazingly cheap - always on offer for $15 somewhere. Don't be foold by the price, it is magnificent.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Thumbs up Re: looking for something lemony/limey

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Is this your defacto recommendation ?
    Actually, I like Acqua di Gio on many men. The only issue I have with it is the fact that so MANY men wear it!

Some have raised a good point -- most citrus scents, by their nature, are short-lived. Often the price you pay for excellent, natural citrus scent profile is short longevity. So re-apply, as the_good_life says.
    Neither lemon nor lime, but a classic favorite is Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte. Green-citrus scent that can't be matched!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    If it helps me get some work and studying done, I should pick up a bottle of Mugler Cologne myself. I do find it extreamly pleasant, just a bit "light" for a SotD.
    Yeah, you're definitely right. I usually use it when I'm feeling sick of fragrances or just don't want to offend anyone... and it always pleases me!

Guerlain Homme has a fantastic Lime note that is on/off all day.

Perry Ellis 360 Red has "lime zest" and "ruby orange" in it. Very fresh fragrance and a very cheap one at that!

Mona Di Orio - Lux = Lime Lime Lime

Creed Selection Verte = Lime but very expensive as you can only buy it by the flacon

Azzaro Pure Cedrat, L'Eau Par Kenzo, and Millesime Imperial.

burberry weekend is great

Welcome, zanyzach! :wave:

My suggestions for lemony:
    Asprey Purple Water
    Etro Lemon Sorbet

I suggest ADP BLU MEDITERRANEO MIRTO DI PANAREA wow this stuff is lemony and with a great
    wood drydown.

My favorite summer scent heavy on the lime and lasts forever is Unbound for Men by Halston. Here are the notes to see if it might interest you.....BTW....it can be found for very little cash.

Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Chanels Allure Blanche is pure lemon juice haha which you might be worth a try?

Sean Johns - I am King is pure lemon/oranges too. Although for the lime note im not sure :S Im still a noob lol

O de Lancome is a great lemony fragrance - according to the marketing, it's for women, but the scent is definitely unisex.

I'll second that: O de Lancome is like a more concentrated eau de cologne citrus.
    In fact, have you explored the interesting world of Eaux de Cologne? I love their citrussy smack and don't mind reapplying regularly. Guerlain's Eaux have a massive reputation and Roger and Gallet's Extra Vieille is good too. Some of the guys here are real experts on the subject - do a search for threads on the subject.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

You might try YSL's Live Jazz if you can find a sampler of it anywhere (YSL seems to hate distributing this one for some reason). It has a pretty powerful lemon peel note to it, along with mint, which a lot of people seem to hate. It's fairly unique for a mass market citrus frag, worth a shot.

Another good one which I haven't seen mentioned here is Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet -- supposedly the fragrance Winston Churchill wore. Unusual in that it's a citrus from 1902, long long before citrus frags really hit the mass market, since most modern citrus rely on new synthetic notes. The lemon/lime notes in this really last compared to a lot of the synthetic citrus.