Code of Conduct

Smile Heavy (On The) Cream Part 2

An older thread on the men's forum discussed creaminess in fragrance:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ighlight=cream

I thought I'd resurrect the idea, and ask for recommendations for scents that are particularly creamy, without rough edges or sharpness, within any category!

See the previous thread for ideas, if you wish.

One of my favorite creamy woods is Costume National 21. No rough edges there, and everything blends so seamlesly.

Other favorites??
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 5th March 2009 at 02:11 AM. Reason: typo!!

Default Re: Heavy (On The) Cream Part 2

Hi Lizzie_j,

From my wardrobe, these are what I think "creamy"

The "good creamy"
    Gurelain's Champs-Elysees.
    Gucci Rush.
    Christian Dior Dune.
    CSP Vanille Extreme, Vanille Passion.

And the bad one, CSP Matin Calin <-- Very creamy and sickly sweet, I couldn't eat anything for almost 3 hours after spray it on.

I'm going to bore everyone by mentioning Tam Dao yet again.
    And Ava Luxe no. 23, which is remarkably similar in the heart notes, although a bit sweeter, maybe. Actually, many of the Ava Luxes have a certain creaminess or opaqueness about them, must be the vanillic base she seems to use a lot.

Edit: goes to show I ought to read the link before responding, Ava Luxe was mentioned in the second post there. :eyeroll:
    Last edited by Morgaine; 3rd March 2009 at 02:33 PM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Hi lizzie_j!

Here's what I find to be creamy. Tabac Blond, creamy leather. Chanel No. 5, creamy flowers (a little too creamy on me, I think...) Ambre Narguile, creamy delicious goodness. I wore it yesterday and was again surprised at its developments.

I had a roommate years ago who wore Allure, and it smelled very creamy on her; creamy fruity floral?

The one that came to mind right away for me was White Shoulders.

Hillaire

Dare I say it? Le Feu d'Issey?
    And apparently Lalique' s Flora Bella, which I will be smelling soon

Helmut Lang' EDC is very Buttery...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    An older thread on the mean's forum
    Those boys do get mean sometimes, don't they?

I'll add Silk by Ava Luxe, Fleurs de Nuit by Badgley Mischka, and EL Sensuous to the list. Sensuous is supposed to smell somewhat different on each wearer, and I got creamy. Also, Belle en Rykiel is very creamy to me. Too much so, in fact; I didn't enjoy it. I agree with the recommendation of Tam Dao (and I never bore of reading about it; it's a big favorite of mine too ).
    Last edited by Heartwood; 3rd March 2009 at 08:27 PM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Completely agree with Tam Dao! Also, Tan Giudicelli's Annam is very creamy, as is Fendi Theorema and Kenzo Amour Indian Holi.

Basenotes Institution

I have got to try Tam Dao ! I agree Ava Luxe's gourmand fragrances are particularly delish and creamy. Also, I have to mention Hypnotic Poison - as Bois De Jasmin put it- " bitter almond folded into jasmin cream .." .it is very creamy on me.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Annam, Theorema, Parfum Sacre, Diesel Plus Plus,

Great thread (rapidly adding stuff to my "to try" list).

Lacoste pour Femme comes across as creamy on me. i Profumi di Firenze's Ambra del Nepal also seems creamy, but in the "rounded and full" sense rather than the "dairy" sense.

Even though the mint adds sharpness, I get a milky/creamy jasmine from Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Those boys do get mean sometimes, don't they?

I'll add Silk by Ava Luxe, Fleurs de Nuit by Badgley Mischka, and EL Sensuous to the list. Sensuous is supposed to smell somewhat different on each wearer, and I got creamy. Also, Belle en Rykiel is very creamy to me. Too much so, in fact; I didn't enjoy it. I agree with the recommendation of Tam Dao (and I never bore of reading about it; it's a big favorite of mine too ).
    Yes, they do get rambunctious! Such a riot sometimes...!

I agree with EL Sensuous and Belle En Rykiel. I definitely need to try Ava Luxe Silk. I love her things in general. And Tam Dao...creamy sandalwood.

I'll add Jalaine's Vanilla. A buttery scent which becomes milkier/creamier with wear.

Creamy woods:
    Chanel Egoiste
    Givenchy Organza Indecence
    Profumo Rose de Bois
    Kenzo Amour

Creamy Floral:
    YSL Rive Gauche

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    I have got to try Tam Dao !
    I'm not about to disagree with that one
    Just don't be put off by the weird gasoline/furniture polish (depending on who you ask) top notes, though.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    I'm not about to disagree with that one
    Just don't be put off by the weird gasoline/furniture polish (depending on who you ask) top notes, though.
    I'll be opened minded ! Always looking for that HG ! I also was thinking of 10 Corso Como and Costes as these are similar , so I've heard.

Blog Entries

This sounds like a job for Profumum Dulcis in Fundo. Orange creamsicle, in a good comforting way. It's certainly creamy but never seems too cloying.

Ava Luxe Milk Also AL Figue Noir.
    Last edited by semisweet411; 4th March 2009 at 11:52 PM.

Creaminess? It's an interesting and - for me - somewhat difficult concept. There is milky creaminess, and there is the kind I think Lizzie is talking about -- as she says, without rough edges or sharpness.

Fragrances from my limited experience that seem to have that smooth, rounded quality:

Amouage LYRIC FOR WOMEN
    Boucheron BOUCHERON
    Chanel ALLURE
    Fendi THEOREMA
    Dorissima GOLDMUND
    Frederic Malle L'EAU D'HIVER
    Hermes OSMANTHE YUNNAN
    Lalique FLORA BELLA
    L'Artisan AMBRE EXTREME
    L'Artisan JOUR DE FETE
    L'Artisan POIVRE PIQUANT
    L'Artisan PREMIER FIGUiER
    L'Artisan SAFRAN TROUBLANT
    Lea St. Barth LEA
    Parfumerie Generale IRIS TAIZO
    Parfumerie Generale L'OISEAU DE NUIT
    Profumum VANITAS
    Rochas FEMME
    Saffron James NANI
    Sonoma Scent Studio OPAL

I will throw an idea out. Certain notes/accords seem consistent with a rounded, creamy quality. Maybe honey, almond, white musk, good sandalwood, osmanthus, some jasmines. Vanilla, certainly. Maybe fig? Oakmoss, benzoin, and/or tonka bean? (Not sure about those last three at all!)

And then there are certain fragrance elements that would not help produce a "creamy" fragrance. I'm thinking violet leaf and other sharp green notes, many citrus, geranium, and cedar. I'm sure you can think of more, and you may disagree with my choices!

About TAM DAO, and cedar in general. I like TAM DAO a lot, but I think it starts out very sharp around the edges, not rounded at all! It does calm down into something a bit smoother, I'll admit. A lot of heavily cedared fragrances are that way for me (another example would be BOIS DE VIOLETTE).

OK. Turning off analyzing mode. Sorry such a long post!
    Last edited by Haunani; 4th March 2009 at 11:39 PM.

Joy by Jean Patou; all rose and jasmin creaminess.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Smile Re: Heavy (On The) Cream Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    Annam, Theorema, Parfum Sacre, Diesel Plus Plus,
    Great suggestions. Might have to start another list (I'm still working my way through 'boozy' scents)!!

Going to have to try this Tam Dao I keep reading about. It's sounding better and better every time it gets mentioned.

For creamy, I'll mention Ava Luxe and specifically her Milk fragrance, which I find uncannily like condensed milk. Spookily so, in fact. (Like her Firewood is too much like real wood smoke and ash for me to be really comfortable wearing it. They layer well together though.)

I do agree with the concensus - I find so many of AL's vanillic gourmands creamy. She is a truly gifted perfumer because I also find her perfumes very smooth, in the way LizzieJ first mentioned.

I wore Samsara edp today and immediately thought of this thread: it's very creamy.

I'm interested in Haunani's observation that what we percieve as creaminess might be linked to using particular notes. Sounds sensible to me. I'm going to ponder this some more.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    I'll be opened minded ! Always looking for that HG ! I also was thinking of 10 Corso Como and Costes as these are similar , so I've heard.
    I have both and I think 10 Corso Como is creamier than Costes. Costes strikes me as more of a cologne, with an energizing feel to it, while Corso Como is more comforting. How's THAT for scientific!?

Basenotes Institution

Great- I will try Tam Dao and 10 Corso Como.

I'm going to have to re-test Tam Dao, because the above is a description of exactly what I
    did.

My rec for 'creamy' (something I am also a BIG fan of in frags) is Monyette Paris (oil, not sure about EdP) - extremely creamy floral, but I don't find it cloying or overpowering. It's gorgeous.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry