Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Talking Let us now Praise Profumum

I think I may have found my Holy Grail at last! I really am loving Dulcis in Fundo It is simply Orange Essence & Mexican Vanilla but I find myself enjoying this scent so much it just sends me to a higher place. I tend to avoid sweet frags & this one didn't appeal to me the 1st time, or the 2nd, but the 3rd time I wore it it just grew on me and by the end of the day I was hooked.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...in_Fundo_.html

The other scents I love from this line are Aqua Viva & Neroli. AV is known by many of you as the most intense lemon available. It is only slightly sweet, somewhat linear, but refreshing and sunny. And puzzling in view of the supposed new regulations on citrus. How do they do it? It is lovely.

But the one that knocked my socks off was Neroli. Also a scent that I usually avoid because it is often some sort of inferior type that sticks out in the composition & interferes with everything. Not so here. This high quality juice is sweetly floral, but still tart, not at all cloying. Just so intense and gorgeous. I could go on but you just have to try it.

What about anyone else, do you know it & love it?
    Last edited by kumquat; 28th February 2009 at 05:47 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Let us now Praise Profumum

Oddly, I've never smelled these three Profumum's. They sound lovely.

Dulcis in Fundo sounds like an orange creamsicle. Is it?

Blog Entries

That's what the descriptions say on LS. It does have a cream-like quality & someone in the men's side said it had an apricot note underneath the orange. I think I can get that. It is the creamy, very slightly sour note that keeps it from being too sweet that was questionable to me at first. It reminds me of the note in CoCo. It doesn't have the overtly synthetic quality of CoCo though, and that's what is so charming about it.
    Last edited by kumquat; 28th February 2009 at 06:36 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I am very tempted by Profumum though my love affair with Confetto was extremely short ! I was disappointed with it. Dulcis in Fundo is one I am dying to get my hands on ( - bring me orange creamy vanilla goodness ! ) and also , Amber Aurea , Fiore D'Ambre and Santalum are the three I also desire so much !
    Shame they cost a bomb.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Smile Re: Let us now Praise Profumum

Dulcis in Fundo is way up high on my wishlist. It's just so darned expensive though the bottle is big (wish they sold 30-50 ml sizes). I have Acqua e Zucchero and love it. And Acqua di Sale is beautiful (IMHO...some hate it!). Confetto is great, but I'm not a big fan of licorice/anise. I also really love Alba, and own a large d*cant, and the new Vanitas is a lovely take on vanilla. I like Dambrosia, but not enough for a full bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I think I may have found my Holy Grail at last! I really am loving Dulcis in Fundo It is simply Orange Essence & Mexican Vanilla but I find myself enjoying this scent so much it just sends me to a higher place. I tend to avoid sweet frags & this one didn't appeal to me the 1st time, or the 2nd, but the 3rd time I wore it it just grew on me and by the end of the day I was hooked.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...in_Fundo_.html

The other scents I love from this line are Aqua Viva & Neroli. AV is known by many of you as the most intense lemon available. It is only slightly sweet, somewhat linear, but refreshing and sunny. And puzzling in view of the supposed new regulations on citrus. How do they do it? It is lovely.

But the one that knocked my socks off was Neroli. Also a scent that I usually avoid because it is often some sort of inferior type that sticks out in the composition & interferes with everything. Not so here. This high quality juice is sweetly floral, but still tart, not at all cloying. Just so intense and gorgeous. I could go on but you just have to try it.

What about anyone else, do you know it & love it?
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 28th February 2009 at 11:54 PM.

This line was expensive to begin with and then they had a hike and marched themselves into impossibility. I love Dulcis in Fundo, Confetto, Alba, Zucchero..and the Sale is the best marine I've smelled.

Their Tuberosa is growing on me and I'm on the verge of splashing out on a FB. Although expensive, I can smell the quality of fragrance.

Love Olibanum and Antico Caruso, Dambrosia grew on me, Confetto is well done but too costly for what it does, and the rest I've yet to try. Your description of Neroli is tempting - neroli generally leaves me cold, but this sounds like a must try. I also need-need to try Santalum. And Acqua di Sale. And Acqua e Zucchero. Tutti. Pronto.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I know they're expensive, but they smell like real ingredients. High percentage of naturals.
    For example, the Dulcis in Fundo was like orange pulp essence that came on really strong and yummy, and then it faded out completely, like a genuine top note should. Meanwhile, the vanilla snuck up through the orange, and it smelled like cake batter. I use to get Mexican vanilla that had almost no alcohol in it. It came in huge bottles, like wine bottles. Now all I can find is tiny bottles that have as much alcohol as the American brands. And boy, was Mexican vanilla special. I'm telling you, it was fabulously rich with no unwanted aftertaste. And that's how Dulcis in Fundo smells; the vanilla goes on for awhile, and then even that fades away without leaving residue. So, there's a reason why it's expensive. If a perfume is only as good as its ingredients, than this one is worth it. If you want an edible orange and vanilla, this is definitely the one to buy.
    Their Neroli is similar in its purity. I love neroli, and the opening of that fragrance was heavenly. I also love orange blossom, but it's a beastly little absolute--hard to work with, overpowering almost--sweet and somehow animalic. That note ended up making the fragrance a bit weird in last of the drydown. I only had a spritz of it. If I owned a bottle, I would keep re-applying to maintain the neroli notes.
    And Aqua Viva is a must-try for any fans of Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien. Pure lemon juice and wood. No lemon custard or powder.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 1st March 2009 at 02:31 PM.

Oh yes, I second this sentiment. I have written off Volo AZ as an aberration (I found it intensely foul, but the person I swapped it with loved it - and even though I didn't like it, it was still unique and different and like nothing I've ever sniffed before - seems to be one of those love it or hate it frags) for me, but other than that have yet to smell a Profumum that isn't, to my nose, just extremely well done. Acqua di Sale is my favourite marine as well, and Acqua a Zucchero is probably the best 'sugar' frag I've come across - it actually smells like pure sugar, it's light and wonderful, not syrupy or heavy. Also love Dulcis in Fundo - exactly how it's been described here. I remember describing it as a high-end creamsicle when I sampled it a few months ago.

Also have to agree with Purplebird on the Mexican vanilla - both points. Friends often come back from Mexico with a huge bottle of pure extract and it is a beautiful (and cheap!) thing.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

I'd love to praise Profumum.. but I'm not really willing to pay $5 per sample, plus postage to Canada through Luckyscent. I wonder if I sent them an e-mail through their website if they'd send free samples?

I don't quite understand the philosophy of not making samples available, especially for something like fragrances - even in small quantities, to potential buyers.

Any ideas?

Blog Entries

TPC has a sampler: http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...20SAMPLER.aspx I don't have any affiliation.

Excellent - I've added this to my list. Quite a variety of reviews on the Profumum fragrances on the Reviews.. I enjoy the idea of a "long lasting" and pure, Sicilian lemon.

TPC has a sampler: http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...20SAMPLER.aspx I don't have any affiliation.

Blog Entries

These are cheaper here http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/index.php?cPath=23_453 but the shipping is tricky. It might be something you could share the cost of a large order with another person & save that way.
    Last edited by kumquat; 2nd March 2009 at 09:17 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydg View Post
    Excellent - I've added this to my list. Quite a variety of reviews on the Profumum fragrances on the Reviews.. I enjoy the idea of a "long lasting" and pure, Sicilian lemon.
    Then definitely try Acqua Viva. There really is, I've found, nothing quite like it. The lemon is so long lasting it's incredible and it manages NOT to smell synthetic or like furniture polish. My favorite lemon fragrance. One of these days, I'll own a bottle.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd March 2009 at 11:30 PM.

Would you say it outperforms Colonia Assoluta? Perhaps I'm comparing apples to oranges.. or lemons to..

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Then definitely try Acqua Viva. There really is, I've found, nothing quite like it. The lemon is so long lasting it's incredible and it manages NOT to smell synthetic or like furniture polish. My favorite lemon fragrance. One of these days, I'll own a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    Oh yes, I second this sentiment. I have written off Volo AZ as an aberration (I found it intensely foul, but the person I swapped it with loved it - and even though I didn't like it, it was still unique and different and like nothing I've ever sniffed before - seems to be one of those love it or hate it frags)
    Oh yes, that would have been me. I forgot I sampled that one. I didn't *love* it, but I had braced myself for something uncommonly objectionable based on your description - which it wasn't.

(Glad to see you've returned, by the way!)
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Dulcis et Fundo is one of my true loves. The next time I have $240 burning a whole in my pocket I will calling Luckyscent. I once got a drop on my finger, which I dabbed on my hand - I could still smell it nearly 24 hours later.

The second time I have $240 burning a whole in my pocket, Profumum's Volo AZ 686 will be my purchase.

BTW - if you order just samples from ALZD, they only charge 5 Euros shipping to he US ($7).

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydg View Post
    Would you say it outperforms Colonia Assoluta? Perhaps I'm comparing apples to oranges.. or lemons to..
    Yes.

CA is very nice but the overall accord of AV is much more brighter and lemon rind prominent, whereas CA is a softer, almost cold sorbet of citrus accords. CA is very 'gentlemanly' and slightly flatter. AV is fun, bright, zingy!

I think they're very different. I used up a whole bottle of CA. But if I had the choice (and the funds) to buy either one, I'd buy AV for sure.

My bottle of CA is almost totally gone now and I'll need a replacement for something in that genre. Sounds like this is one I have to add to my list!! Cheers Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yes.

CA is very nice but the overall accord of AV is much more brighter and lemon rind prominent, whereas CA is a softer, almost cold sorbet of citrus accords. CA is very 'gentlemanly' and slightly flatter. AV is fun, bright, zingy!

I think they're very different. I used up a whole bottle of CA. But if I had the choice (and the funds) to buy either one, I'd buy AV for sure.

Blog Entries

If you want pure lemon, this is the one. It's as if you are inside a golden lemon and you have to drink your way out. ( But in a good way.)

What a refreshing image! AV is now on my "Test" list!

If you want pure lemon, this is the one. It's as if you are inside a golden lemon and you have to drink your way out. ( But in a good way.)

Blog Entries

I am having a Profumum Neroli day. I want to know if there is anyone who has tried this & loves it as much as I do. Anyone? It has the most amazing resemblance to vintage Caron Narcisse Noir & I'm wondering if any of you have been able to sample it since this thread first started.

Last edited by kumquat; 15th October 2009 at 05:32 PM.

No, still haven't tried it! But re-reading your description of it has awakened a fresh desire to.

Douglas Adams

I positively adore Thundra and Fiore d'Ambra. The former is a stunning blend invoking vivid olfactory images of a damp forest floor after rainfall on a gloomy cloudy day, the aroma of rotting leaves and mushrooms mingling with the smells of the very soil it all seats upon and the latter is an addictive blend of ambergris, muscs and vanille. Simply intoxicating, both of them.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Question Re: Let us now Praise Profumum

I have tested Profumum Neroli and think is an outstanding fragrance. However, I keep vacillating on whether to purchase a bottle. I truly like it, but it seems to be on the feminine side of the spectrum. Do you guys think a man can pull this one off? Would you like to smell this on a guy? Kumquat; in your opinion, is it appropriate for a guy?

I am having a Profumum Neroli day. I want to know if there is anyone who has tried this & loves it as much as I do. Anyone? It has the most amazing resemblance to vintage Caron Narcisse Noir & I'm wondering if any of you have been able to sample it since this thread first started.

Blog Entries

I am on the fence about this. It does have a smokiness due to the myrrh I believe. It isn't particularly sweet. It has more of the "suntan oil" vibe to it. That is pretty unisex, IMO. I don't want to steer you the wrong way. This is a big purchase. Ask some of the guys if you are concerned about smelling too girly. I personally don't think it would be a problem, especially since this has such a deep rich quality & men's skin tends to deepen the floral frags. At least, that's what I have been hearing from lots of men who like to wear tuberose & similar florals.

I will say that once I was on a walk in a city with my brother and he thought every other little group we passed on the street was smoking pot. I think he was getting whiffs of my "Neroli" perfume. I said so but he didn't believe it could be my perfume. That doesn't seem to be too sweet to me. I think the myrrh is the most significant factor of this fragrance.
    Last edited by kumquat; 29th October 2009 at 03:51 PM.

Question Re: Let us now Praise Profumum

kumquat,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. The myrrh does help indeed. In fact, if it was not for the myrrh I would not even consider this fragrance.

I do; however, enjoy citrus, lighter scents as I live in a very humid hot climate (Dallas, Texas). It is my understanding that perfume gurus claim that there is "no such thing as feminine or masculine fragrances there are simply fragrances". I do not know how that can be.

For some reason I happen to be fond of the neroli note in fragrance compositions, but I am always faced with the same question: is this too feminine? What is your take on the following 'gender neutral' fragrances? Can they be worn by a man?:

Neroli by by Czech and Speake
    Leau de Neroli by Diptyque
    Neroli 36 by Le Labo
    Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford
    Neroli Sauvage by Creed (one of my favorites)
    Neroli by Annick Goutal

Any ideas from other female or male basenotes members?

This might be a good question to post on the Mens fragrance forum. I might as well do that

I am on the fence about this. It does have a smokiness due to the myrrh I believe. It isn't particularly sweet. It has more of the "suntan oil" vibe to it. That is pretty unisex, IMO. I don't want to steer you the wrong way. This is a big purchase. Ask some of the guys if you are concerned about smelling too girly. I personally don't think it would be a problem, especially since this has such a deep rich quality & men's skin tends to deepen the floral frags. At least, that's what I have been hearing from lots of men who like to wear tuberose & similar florals.

I will say that once I was on a walk in a city with my brother and he thought every other little group we passed on the street was smoking pot. I think he was getting whiffs of my "Neroli" perfume. I said so but he didn't believe it could be my perfume. That doesn't seem to be too sweet to me. I think the myrrh is the most significant factor of this fragrance.

Blog Entries

You might like to read this thread on Neroli. http://community.basenotes.net/showt...55#post1658355 The only other nerolis I've tried are C & S, & Creed. Both quite good & very diff. from Profumum.

Basenotes Institution

Kumquat- I have never tried the Neroli but I bet it is beautiful ! The color of the juice is vivid and beautiful . Looking at taht bottle is an instant 'pick me up' on its own !
    I loved Tuberosa by Profumum too - an excellent Tuberose !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

I thought I would see if anyone has tried Profumum lately. It has been a long time since I started this thread.Amber Aurea is another I love. Similar to Amber Sultan but less cardomom.

I have just ordered a bunch of samples and will be reviewing them soon.
    Last edited by kumquat; 16th March 2014 at 01:29 PM.

I have a decant of Dulcis in Fundo and your description os spot on Kumquat! Sweet orange and vanilla, with great sillage and longevity on skin. The only thing i have against Profumum Scents is that they seem so simple for the price they ask. I have tried others, like Alba and Confetto, but found them so simple that i cannot even remember about them anymore. One which was a surprise for me is Victrix, it's a delicious peppery vetiver scent with some green and that reminds me of soil too.

I am intrigued by everything written here, but totally ignorant of this brand. I wonder if anyone can give me an overview? I didn't find much on their website. Looking on Luckyscent, I found the following: "These scents are exquisitely crafted to evoke emotions, memories and a sense of their beloved Italy. These rich and layered fragrances are designed to work equally well on men and women, and, amazingly, they really do."

So, I'm getting rich, layered and Italian. But some of the comments are suggesting a lighter and simpler orientation. Would you classify the house, generally, as working in the classical French tradition or something different? Do you think Profumum is more like Guerlain in character, or like Hermes under Ellena? Or anything else that would help me understand something more about them.

Even the samples are expensive, so I think I will start out with just a few.

Blog Entries

I can't stress enough how rich and strong I find these. They are Italian. that is the style. The ingredients are very high quality and that is probably why they are expensive. They do last a long time, though. One spray on wrists and one on throat and I'm good to go. Oxiana is another I fell for since this thread started. It is a myrrh based scent that has an earthy- mushroom quality. I'll post my blog entry.

http://www.basenotes.net/entries/873...unday-11-April
    Last edited by kumquat; 16th March 2014 at 03:49 PM.

Mocha, I have quite a few samples from Profumum (and Kumquat, I'll try to post my thoughts on them, but I'll have to go back and re-sample ) -- I would not characterize them as "classical" at all. Not Chanel, not Guerlain, not Hermes .... None of them.

They are quite modern and quite rich -- more like Serge Lutens and Parfumerie Generale than anything, which is probably why I really enjoy them. I'll throw Dominque Ropion into the mix, too, as a comparison point -- he produces with a richness and texture which cants more modern than classical.

If memory serves, my 3 favorites of the samples I have (which unfortunately did not include [B]Arso[/B)] were Ambra Aurea, Rosae Mundi, and Dolce Acqua.

Blog Entries

I almost forgot about Rosae Mundi! ​A gorgeous modern rose chypre.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post

They are quite modern and quite rich -- more like Serge Lutens and Parfumerie Generale than anything, which is probably why I really enjoy them. I'll throw Dominque Ropion into the mix, too, as a comparison point -- he produces with a richness and texture which cants more modern than classical....
    That sounds really good for me, actually. I like rich. And I find myself liking either traditional scents or very modern ones.

Looks like I need to do some research on which to sample. Rosae Mundi sounds perfect, for one. I'm a huge chypre fan.

Thank you so much, ExtremeK and kumquat.

So far, my favorites are Rosae Mundi, Neroli, and Dulcis en Fundo.
    All of them are made of high-quality ingredients. Sillage is notably exceptional. They feel "happy" but not shallow, rich and deep, more straightforward in development than the classical Guerlains, three-dimensional but not over-complicated.

Basenotes Institution

I must admit, the Santalum is very very good, but it's a bit rich and I only wear it when it's cold outside. I have some 'vintage juice' which is dark brown in color but even the current juice is good, and a bit lighter. It's a sweet, very spicy sandalwood.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

This house is on my list to sample, but as yet, I've not gotten my nose on a single one. Most intriguing from the descriptions are the lemon and the Rose. Hopefully I'll get around to these at some point.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

I love Acqua e Zucchero, reminds me of Pink Sugar. I went thru a FB of Zucchero in about 2 months didn't seem to last on me, but I didn't mind, I like it that much. I need to try Dulcis sounds amazing and I'm curious about their Neroli now too.
    Last edited by Lexxxy; 17th March 2014 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    I positively adore Thundra and Fiore d'Ambra. The former is a stunning blend invoking vivid olfactory images of a damp forest floor after rainfall on a gloomy cloudy day, the aroma of rotting leaves and mushrooms mingling with the smells of the very soil it all seats upon and the latter is an addictive blend of ambergris, muscs and vanille. Simply intoxicating, both of them.
    + seconding Thundra which you describe perfectly. When I samples Profumum Roma, I fell for Thundra.
    Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume.
    - Jean de Boufflers

Blog Entries

I seem to remember 'Thundra' and it was dark and really dramatic. I have misplaced my sample! Naughty! Must tidy up. I've got to retry that one. It WAS mushroomy, I remember.

I just tried 'Acqua Nobilis'. It seemed like myhrr and something lightly pine-like. But it turns out it has ; Geranium, Vetiver, musk and absinthe. I think the combination is a strong greenish cologne, but on the heavy side. It would do for someone who wants a musky cologne.
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th March 2014 at 08:40 PM.

Blog Entries

I have recently tried a couple of beautiful colognes from Profumum. Eccelso is the one I would recommend you try first. Bergamot and magnolia, just perfect as a fresh cologne. Then there's Arso ​which is aromatic and tangy with a little more pine-like accord.

http://www.luckyscent.com/product/33...so-by-profumum

http://www.luckyscent.com/product/33...so-by-profumum
    Last edited by kumquat; 18th March 2014 at 07:41 PM.

I just got my second order from Osswalds in a week, I got Acqua e Zucchero which I love and one spray last me all day, then from the samples I got to try I bought Dulcis because I could not stop thinking of that sweet creamy citrusy vanilla scent out of my mind. Now I still have another 8 samples to play with that were sent so I'm sure I will find another
    I prefer buying from Osswalds because they give larger samples in sprayers which make it easier for me to know how a scent will work, I prefer them over the small dabblers.

I wish there were more splits on here for this house I want Confetto and a few others but I'm not sure I want a full bottle

Basenotes Institution

... Then there's Arso ​which is aromatic and tangy with a little more pine-like accord.
    I love Arso, but it's difficult to wear here in Miami in Summer, so I will be most definitely buying a decant of it in Fall/Winter. It's smoke note is almost perfect.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Alia, there was someone splitting this house on the FB group, international fragrance splittets association.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Here is a link to the split doc https://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...arn_external=1

Blog Entries

Thanks, Alia, I'm happy to know about a new source for perfume. This is cheaper and shipping is free over a certain amount.

http://boutique.osswaldnyc.com/colle...oma-fragrances

Daniq,​ your FB link isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Alia, there was someone splitting this house on the FB group, international fragrance splittets association.

Thank you, I will check it out now

Here is a link to the split doc https://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...arn_external=1

Thank you! I hope I'm doing the thank/like button correctly lol

Thanks, Alia, I'm happy to know about a new source for perfume. This is cheaper and shipping is free over a certain amount.

http://boutique.osswaldnyc.com/colle...oma-fragrances

Daniq,​ your FB link isn't working.
    Thank you I'm so looking for more from this house

I just sent a request on FB to join that group
    Thanks!