Code of Conduct

Default C&S Dark Rose vintage v. current version & more

I received my free C&S sample pack today - a complete set of the whole line, nicely wrapped, with a handsome brochure (which does not yet list Rose and Mimosa). I own five C&Ss (88, Cuba, Neroli, Paradisi, vintage F&M) and have samples of vintage 88, Dark Rose and Rose, so I was particularly interested in the new versions of the latter & Mimosa.

Dark Rose has changed, though perhaps not quite as dramatically as No. 88. On application there is a burst of, well, dark rose, in the vintage that I don't find in the new. Then, an equally darker oud makes its appearance, not harsh as in the "oudier" Montales, but deeper than in the reformulation. The latter appears lighter and, due to the more restrained oud, sweeter. The saffron is present and crisp here. It reminds me a lot of the gentler Montale Ouds like Damascus. As the fragrances settle they converge somewhat, but the distinction of more "heaviness" and persistence in the vintage remains clear. I prefer this version, though that may be a matter of taste. However, I'm not sure the new Dark Rose adds much to what Montale has already done and I personally find the saffron-rose accord of Tremlett's Black Tie more satisfying. All this to be taken with the caveat that my nose is somewhat impaired at the moment.

I only briefly sniffed the new F&M and while it's nice it appears defanged. It's more of a conventional citrus top-wood base than previously, when there where mintier elements on top and really distinct frankincense and myrrh notes with no more than afterthoughts of wood.

Mimosa smells very promising, it's a dirty white floral and contrary to the disappointing Eau d'Hiver it actually smells of flowers, green stems, earth and fertilizer -a hyperrealistic "mucking around in the garden/greenhouse" scent as one expects it from an English perfumer. Very indolic jasmine or some synthetic civet imported from Cuba (hey, they need the dividends). Very promising and by all means unisex.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: C&S Dark Rose vintage v. current version & more

I received it yesterday. It s awesome.

I guess i have never tried the old formulation of No 88 (had one full bottle ordered like 6 month ago) but the sample they sent of it is so perfect..

this juice is and will always be in my top 5 ever , easily.

I ve been also amazed by Neroli which i find very nice, and I love the dry lavender of Oxford & Cambridge. I ll buy these two.

Mimosa is very nice but really too feminine, being said that i m a carnal flower fan, and wear often black orchid or bandit. I would not wear mimosa though.

And finally i ve really really not been impressed by F&M. So weak...
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

I received mine today also and blogged about Dark Rose here.

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 28th February 2009 at 08:02 PM.

So, I just signed up on their website and afterwards, there was a section asking if I wanted samples. Of course, so I filled in my address, and clicked next. That's it? They are going to send me nine free samples across the Ocean. Totally free!?
    Once Upon A Time In Nazi Occupied France...A Basterd's Work is Never Done ~ Inglourious Basterds

Quote Originally Posted by ibarney5 View Post
    So, I just signed up on their website and afterwards, there was a section asking if I wanted samples. Of course, so I filled in my address, and clicked next. That's it? They are going to send me nine free samples across the Ocean. Totally free!?
    There is a section where you have to tick what all fragrances you are interested in..Did you come across that? That's how you get samples from their entire range...for free!

Well, they sent them across the Channel. And I had only voiced my interest in two fragrances, but you evidently always get the full set. Very nice.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Why yes I did! An it took me to a page where I entered my address. And that was it! Do you mean to tell me that I will now receive samples for free of all there magic smelly juices? No shipping charge or anything!? That's damn near insane. Momma said nothing in life was free!

Seriously, that is amazing. The Dark Rose bottle is gorgeous. Kind of makes you want to buy a bottle for display purposes.
    Last edited by ibarney5; 28th February 2009 at 10:07 PM.
    Once Upon A Time In Nazi Occupied France...A Basterd's Work is Never Done ~ Inglourious Basterds

Do you mean to tell me that I will now receive samples for free of all there magic smelly juices? No shipping charge or anything!? That's damn near insane. Momma said nothing in life was free!

Seriously, that is amazing. The Dark Rose bottle is gorgeous. Kind of makes you want to buy a bottle for display purposes.
    Yeah your momma was right mate.....Nothing comes free....coz when you get this awesome sample pack you wouldnt be able to resist making a purchase of atleast 1 of the 9 fragrances that they offer.....C&S 88 is amazing.....and yeah...you are already thinking of the Dark Rose bottle arent you & you haven't sniffed the juice yet...

btw....I totally agree that bottle is a thing of beauty.

I filled out the sample forms about a month ago and haven't received them yet. Is it Europe only?
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I also received my samples this morning, and I will be interested to see how they compare. I have an old No.88 that I am running low on, I do hope that they have not changed it too much. This is such a delightfully quirky brand, long may they continue.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I received my free C&S sample pack today - a complete set of the whole line, nicely wrapped, with a handsome brochure (which does not yet list Rose and Mimosa). I own five C&Ss (88, Cuba, Neroli, Paradisi, vintage F&M) and have samples of vintage 88, Dark Rose and Rose, so I was particularly interested in the new versions of the latter & Mimosa.

Dark Rose has changed, though perhaps not quite as dramatically as No. 88. On application there is a burst of, well, dark rose, in the vintage that I don't find in the new. Then, an equally darker oud makes its appearance, not harsh as in the "oudier" Montales, but deeper than in the reformulation. The latter appears lighter and, due to the more restrained oud, sweeter. The saffron is present and crisp here. It reminds me a lot of the gentler Montale Ouds like Damascus. As the fragrances settle they converge somewhat, but the distinction of more "heaviness" and persistence in the vintage remains clear. I prefer this version, though that may be a matter of taste. However, I'm not sure the new Dark Rose adds much to what Montale has already done and I personally find the saffron-rose accord of Tremlett's Black Tie more satisfying. All this to be taken with the caveat that my nose is somewhat impaired at the moment.

I only briefly sniffed the new F&M and while it's nice it appears defanged. It's more of a conventional citrus top-wood base than previously, when there where mintier elements on top and really distinct frankincense and myrrh notes with no more than afterthoughts of wood.

Mimosa smells very promising, it's a dirty white floral and contrary to the disappointing Eau d'Hiver it actually smells of flowers, green stems, earth and fertilizer -a hyperrealistic "mucking around in the garden/greenhouse" scent as one expects it from an English perfumer. Very indolic jasmine or some synthetic civet imported from Cuba (hey, they need the dividends). Very promising and by all means unisex.
    I thought of Oud Damascus too when I smelled Dark Rose. I thought it started well with a good saffron, "motaleish" oud and rose but the challanging stuff dropped off very quickly to leave a fairly mundane, if nice rose accord. There are several montales I prefer.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 1st March 2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: adding thoughts
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

As a long-time fan of your fragrant commentary, thank you for sharing your impressions. I am looking forward to comparing the new formulation of Dark Rose to the remnants of a sample of the original formulation given to me by a dear friend. I have not found a more enigmatic or well constructed oud/rose fragrance than Dark Rose. I cannot think of another fragarnce that comes close to matching it in construction/movement and value. I even prefer Dark Rose to my reference rose/saffron, Diptyque Opôné.

i did the same but i think i only clicked off like 2 scents no 88 and cuba maybe the dark rose one. i hope they send me everything!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

It was exactly seven days ago that I requested samples of their aromatics on the Czech & Speake website, and today I received a complete set of Czech & Speake samples in the mail. Seven days from London to California. And the presentation of the samples is really quite nice.

When I first stumbled upon Basenotes and became a fragrance aficionado four years ago, the first two fragrances that I purchased were decants of C&S Neroli and C&S No. 88. What a case of beginner's luck that was --- Neroli has been in my top three ever since, and my decant of No. 88 was the vintage version. I was a complete newbie with absolutely no knowledge of fragrance, and I struggled every day with trying to understand No. 88, which both fascinated and frightened me at the same time. That was quite an education for my nose.

I think the reformulation of No. 88 must have left me slightly traumatized. I used to be a fan of the house of Czech & Speake, but in the last couple of years I have tended to stay away from all of the C&S aromatics, excepting of course the amazing and beautifully vibrant Neroli.

It is time to reacquaint myself with the house of Czech and Speake. I wore the reformulated version of No. 88 today, and I really enjoyed it. It is still a very good fragrance. In fact, I am going to put No. 88 back into my permanent collection. I am going to enjoy wearing No. 88 again! Yeah!

I have been testing some of these C&S aromatic samples today. I am most enjoying my samples of Mimosa and Frankincense and Myrrh, and I intend to explore them both some more.

I very briefly tested the new version of Dark Rose. My first impression is that it is very similar to the previous version, but perhaps a little lighter. It is still a beautiful, smooth, soft, deep Dark Rose. The reformulation is good. Since C&S Dark Rose contains a rose oud accord and a number of Montale fragrances also contain a rose oud accord, it is normal that C&S Dark Rose will be compared to the Montales. I always thought C&S Dark Rose was a better quality than any of the Montales. In my opinion, both the vintage and reformulated versions of Dark Rose seem to be seamlessly smooth, and the Montales in comparison seem to be slightly harsh and abrasive.
    Last edited by Rockford; 1st March 2009 at 07:53 AM.

I received mine on Friday. C and Speak rock.
    The one that intrigued me the most is Paradisi.
    I used to have a parrot, a loris Lady Chatterley , very exotic and cleaver. They eat a lot of fruits and honey is a must in their diet. The parrot used to have this honey, spicy smell.
    When I smelled the sample of paradisi the first think that came to my mind was "Albert" (the parrot). Very vivid after 15 years.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I received mine on Friday. C and Speak rock.
    The one that intrigued me the most is Paradisi.
    I used to have a parrot, a loris Lady Chatterley , very exotic and cleaver. They eat a lot of fruits and honey is a must in their diet. The parrot used to have this honey, spicy smell.
    When I smelled the sample of paradisi the first think that came to my mind was "Albert" (the parrot). Very vivid after 15 years.
    Paradisi is my favourite C&S of them all. Wildly underrated.

Out of my sample pack I really feel like Citrus Paradisi is the tops. No.88 is nice, but not for me. I liked Cuba, too spicy for the wife. Really liked Oxford and Cambridge. If I ordered anything it would be either Citrus Paradisi or Oxford and Cambridge. Neroli was also nice, and I like how in it and Citrus Paradisi the dirtiness that is added really plays on the bright citrus.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

I can't compare to the original Dark Rose as I've never tried it, but from my initial reaction to the new Dark Rose (samples came today), this is definitely something I'm interested in. It does share some qualities with Montale, but it's really nice to find a new interpretation from another company (Micallef has a good one as well). It's incredibly smooth and well blended with off-putting or obtrusive. That said, it's certainly not a run-of-the-mill fragrance and deserves its own admiration.

I agree with previous posters as to the similarity between the current Dark Rose and Aoud Damascus.

I received my sample set today, and it contained all nine C&S fragrances in their line even though I had only requested three. Hooray!
    With only a few minutes to try out a few of the ones I was most interested in, I have to agree with the previous posts regarding Dark Rose's similarity to Aoud Damascus, although the comparison is based on my memory of the latter, not a direct comparison.

This delectable gift will require a bit of time to fully review. Czech & Speake, if you're reading this thread, THANK YOU! I'm sure you'll be compensated with a full bottle purchase, from this grateful poster, at least.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 2nd March 2009 at 11:51 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

C&S must be wondering at the power of this board to spark interest in their house. I, too, received my sample set today (although I've tried most of the fragrances, I ticked the box for the couple I have not yet tried and, like others, received a complete set of samples). This kind of generosity with product is certainly endearing. It may be somewhat of a loss leader for C&S, but it will lead to my eventual patronage, mos def. My philosophy, as well, is not to be regretful or overly-analytical about re-formulations, as I have not had the opportunity to sample the original formulations.
    Last edited by Circa1905; 3rd March 2009 at 12:33 AM.

oh god.

Rather boringly it seems, I too have received in the last couple of days a complete set of samples!

I sampled Dark Rose for a proper wearing today and was very interested in its progression. It starts brightly and perhaps overly sweetly - and indeed rather "feminine". The drydown however is beautiful and the end result after maybe two hours is compulsively nose-to-skin. It's really lovely.

No 88 I reserved judgement on. I need to give it a proper work out but the opening doesn't float my boat at the moment.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Our friend supermarky is selling 10ml decants of supposedly "vintage" F&M on ebay for 27USD.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I received my sample set today, and it contained all nine C&S fragrances in their line even though I had only requested three. Hooray!
    With only a few minutes to try out a few of the ones I was most interested in, I have to agree with the previous posts regarding Dark Rose's similarity to Aoud Damascus, although the comparison is based on my memory of the latter, not a direct comparison.

This delectable gift will require a bit of time to fully review. Czech & Speake, if you're reading this thread, THANK YOU! I'm sure you'll be compensated with a full bottle purchase, from this grateful poster, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    C&S must be wondering at the power of this board to spark interest in their house. I, too, received my sample set today (although I've tried most of the fragrances, I ticked the box for the couple I have not yet tried and, like others, received a complete set of samples). This kind of generosity with product is certainly endearing. It may be somewhat of a loss leader for C&S, but it will lead to my eventual patronage, mos def. My philosophy, as well, is not to be regretful or overly-analytical about re-formulations, as I have not had the opportunity to sample the original formulations.
    Well said, my brethren!

What a great gift! I'd only asked for the four I hadn't tried, but I also received a full sample set today. Can't wait to try Dark Rose and Paradisi!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I ve been a bit disappointed by the longevity of Dark Rose. I ve done the test twice by having no 88 and DR on each of my wrist, and both times no 88 had a much better longevity.

I love both but have always prefered no 88 and there s no chance that it changes .

About their "generosity", i too agree that it s amazing to receive the whole line in samples. I ve thanked them with a nice but deserved e-mail.

Also, they have "everything to win" by doing so, proof is, when i re ordered my No 88, mine getting empty, i ve bought a full Neroli as well because i had forgotten how amazing it is, but got it back when i tried from the samples they sent. So i took it as well but would never have without their samples.

it does work like this !

Also, i really love Oxford and Cambridge, and will order a full bottle soon, I know it already ^^

Great house.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

I know this is the male frags discussion, but would you like a woman's perspective? I too ordered the samples, and I have to say I totally agree with the lovers of 88 and Oxford & Cambridge. However I noticed no one said anything about Frankincense and Myrrh. I adore this one on a man as much as the other two. There is something sexy about the way this mixes with the body chemistry of a man. It just works well on you guys. Just to let you know

Quote Originally Posted by supracuhz View Post
    oh god.

They threw everything in but the kitchen sink (all puns intended)!!!

Actually, I requested samples of all their frags and received them as expected. This samples cards remind me of Penhaligon's sample cards.

Anyway, briefly smelling most of them but wearing none of them, I was most impressed with Neroli, No. 88 & Frank/Myrrh. Will report back after some wearing.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    Also, they have "everything to win" by doing so, proof is, when i re ordered my No 88, mine getting empty, i ve bought a full Neroli as well because i had forgotten how amazing it is, but got it back when i tried from the samples they sent. So i took it as well but would never have without their samples.

it does work like this !

Also, i really love Oxford and Cambridge, and will order a full bottle soon, I know it already ^^

Great house.
    Yes, it's true - free samples lead to more sales.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    Our friend supermarky is selling 10ml decants of supposedly "vintage" F&M on ebay for 27USD.
    He also has a bottle of vintage No. 88. I really hope he does decants of that.

Oh, recently I've been testing No. 88 again and have fallen in love with it. I don't think a bottle purchase is on this way, but I'd love at least a hefty sized decant.

I can only see myself wearing it on a gloomy rainy day.

Is the old formulation really better ?
    If so, why ?

Has any compared both ?

The "new" one is already such an amazing fragrance... I love no 88.

I love cuba!

and I love no. 88

Received my amazing C&S sample pack today - got here so soon, and it's so generous and nicely presented - and decided to compare Dark Rose and No. 88. Dark Rose is new to me; No. 88 I know and love.

My first and immediate surprise was how totally different these fragrances are. I'd imagined Dark Rose as a more floral No. 88... it's not at all. Even the kind of rose note is very different. No. 88 is a rich, oriental and very geranium-heavy rose. In fact I'd now go so far as saying it's as much geranium as it is rose. Dark rose is a dry, light and transparent rose by contrast, not in the least "dark" but distinctly piquant.

I simply adore Dark Rose - it's my ideal rose-oud fragrance, and it has a charming saffron note that makes this a superior fragrance to the dearly departed Opone, in my opinion. Unfortunately, it lasts all of three hours at most on me. If only it had any longevity, I'd buy this in preference to No. 88 or any other rose fragrance...

First Noir De Noir and now this. What is it with my skin and quick-fading rose frags?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley_f5 View Post
    I love cuba!
    Me too! It's the best one I've tried!