Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lidl Suddenly D'Or - what is in it?

I mentioned on a SOTD thread a while back that I was favourably impressed by this perfume - Suddenly D'Or - from Lidl, the European discount chain. Well, at £3.99 for 50ml, certainly I was. I had mistakenly thought it cost £2.72, but am not quibbling as it is still cheap by any standards.

Now I have googled till I am bright gold in the face but cannot find any product info on this scent, not even whether it is an oriental or whatever, though that is my hunch. The other scent in the duo is called Suddenly Fleurs, and I don't care for that one.

I would love to know what I am smelling, but lack the anatomical equipment to do so with any degree of authority. So if there are any Europeans with good noses out there - and I can think of a few! - would you mind having a squirt of the tester provided the next time you are shopping at Lidl, assuming you do. I can recommend the olive oil, salami, dry roasted peanuts, luxury coleslaw, gorgonzola, Florentines, Bahlsen choccy biscuits - and now, the perfume! And I never thought I would hear myself say that.

Now I don't want anyone to think that this bargain fragrance has the creamy opulence of an Amouage or the impeccable bone structure of a Guerlain, but it is very pleasant at the price, and I would love to know more about it, even on an educated guesswork basis.

Or I could try ringing a product manager for Health & Beauty in Neckarsulm or wherever the execs hang out. That is of course a fall back plan...
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 28th February 2009 at 07:53 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Lidl Suddenly D'Or - what is in it?

Seriously? LIDL are selling a fragrance and it's good? I'm going to have to check that out...
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Bummer, there is no Lidl near me (I wanted to check out their face cream after the whole hoo-haa about it last year).

Post Thanks / Like

Is it Lidl or Aldi who do a really good eyebag concealer in the pen style of Touche Eclat?

We have a Lidl opening in the city and I'm very excited to go and try this perfume now along with lots of other goodies!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about a Touche Eclat equivalent, but there was a wonder face cream surrounded by hype from Aldi - it was the Siana Moisturising Anti-Wrinkle Cream range, and I have a pot! As much hoo-hah as the Boots No 7 Protect and Perfect range for the Brits amongst us.

Regarding the Suddenly perfume, it doesn't smell expensive as I say, but it smells pretty decent for something so ludicrously cheap, especially once the top notes blow off. It smells less cheap as it goes on, as it were! The Fleurs one was NOT nice, mind. Artificial and too flowery. By way of comparison, I tried the Autograph range of perfumes in M & S, and this here Lidl number smells "classier" than those in terms of apparent cost of ingredients - as far as my lay nose can determine.

Please don't anyone buy it specially - there should be testers on the fixture - and even if you think it is cheap and nasty, I would still be fascinated to know what is in it!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, folks, am very excited - have found a single review of this in German on the Ciao website. Translated the gist is: it smells fresh / refreshing, not sweet or flowery, not too harsh, with excellent staying power (12 hrs!), which is jolly good going for the price. It doesn't smell exclusive, she says - you can tell it is cheap - but it "does the job" perfectly well, qualifying her comment by saying that it is all of matter of personal taste in the end. Though she echoes my own thoughts perfectly! And is on her second bottle, apparently....Oh, and she thinks it is reminiscent of "that wicked Calvin Klein classic" - would that be CK One? I don't know the range that well.

Der duft erinnert mich dabei doch irgendwie an das sündhafte "Calvin Klein classic", was ich einmal besaß. Das Parfüm riecht frisch und nach Alkohol. Also weder lieblich oder nach Blumen. Es riecht dabei aber auch nicht zu herb. Ich mag auch die erfrischende Wirkung auf der Haut. Der frische Geruch hält ungefähr 12 Stunden an. Ich finde das für diesen Preis auch in Ordnung. Denn nach einem harten Arbeitstag geh ich lieber duschen, als mich wieder neu einzusprühen. Dass dieses Parfüm irgendwie exklusiv riecht, kann ich nicht behaupten. Hier spürt man schon dass es doch ein preiswertes Produkt ist. Aber seinen Zweck erfüllt es vollkommen, finde ich. Aber das ist bei Düften, genauso wie bei Joghurt ja immer eine Geschmackssache.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 1st March 2009 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    I don't know about a Touche Eclat equivalent, but there was a wonder face cream surrounded by hype from Aldi - it was the Siana Moisturising Anti-Wrinkle Cream range, and I have a pot! As much hoo-hah as the Boots No 7 Protect and Perfect range for the Brits amongst us.
    Oh yes, that's the one I was thinking of. I always get the two mixed up- Aldi, Lidl... which means I do have a Lidl near me. I've been there 3 times and have not seen them sell perfume... (They've got some toiletries, but that's it). It's only a small one.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, check this out...I can now confirm that Suddenly d'Or smells like (and the bottle looks like a knock-off of) GHOST LUMINOUS!

Maybe a notch lower in quality, but at £3.99 plays £23 in Boots, still a bargain!

Post Thanks / Like

Guess what, folks! - Lidl, the dicount food chain, have now supplied me with the fragrance notes to Suddenly D'Or, having initially told me on the phone that their supplier would not reveal this information!

Check these out against Luminous...also bearing in mind that the juice colour and bottles are virtually identical.

Suddenly D'Or

Apple, lime tree blossom, violet, melon, jasmine, lily of the valley, peach, rose, iris, musk and sandalwood.

Luminous

Bergamot, pineapple, orange, blackcurrant, melon, apples, sea breeze accord, champage, jasmine, lily of the valley, raspberry leaves, violet, rose, freesia, sandalwood, vetiver, powdery dream, candied raspberry and peach sweet.

Basically, Luminous has EIGHT of the ingredients of the Lidl scent, plus quite a few of its own, but I can't help feeling it was used as a model - you should see the two bottles side by side - uncanny! Eight notes in common feels like a fair degree of congruence, so it seems my nose was genuinely on to something.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 30th April 2009 at 11:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Judging by the notes only and without sniffing it myself, I think the German reviewer was referring to CK Escape.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Twolf - Escape is not a CK I am familiar with. Only recently discovered Truth, for example, which is very pleasant in a watery, woody peony way.

Amazing detective work, VM! Wow!

Gotta sniff this stuff.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/