Code of Conduct

Default Pierre Cardin. Should we just shoot him and put him out of our misery?

Our friends at NowSmellThis had some interesting news about two new Pierre Cardin frags.

I remember the little phalic bottle of baby powder smelling juice of the 80's.

The new bottles have a nice look to them but other than that I doubt much will come of it as the availability seems to be capricious at best.

www.nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com

**Go to new perfumes, they are listed alphabetically. A more direct link will not work for some cosmic reason!

PS Just found out the Cedre Ambre will retail for under $30 for a 75ml-
    YUP! We Shoot 'im!
    Last edited by graffham; 2nd March 2009 at 12:26 PM.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Default Re: Pierre Cardin. Should we just shoot him and put him out of our misery?

Baby powder smelling juice? The original Pierre Cardin pour homme smelled nothing like baby powder! It was a great frag for the time which still holds its own.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pierre Cardin. Should we just shoot him and put him out of our misery?

graffham this is the error message I get when I hit your posted link:

ERROR: www.nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com is temporarily unavailable or does not exist. Please check the address and try again.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I vote for shoot him.. jk

Supposedly Pierre Cardin messed up when setting up his licensing deal for his products and he lost control of having final say of what gets his name on it and what doesnt. And for a while in the 80's there were pens, cigar boxes, socks, calculators, doileys (well maybe not doileys) but it seemed there were way too many stupid products with his name out there. Also I think Halston had a similar situation.

Pierre Cardin Pour Homme was an excellent fragrance that I would still happily use today, but sadly they lost their way in a big way. You are probably right, there is no way back for them now.

Paradoxe de Cardin was absolutely delicious. Rose de Cardin was also delicious. It would be so sad if they are now selling muck, but at least they are not charging horrific prices; i.e. Guerlain, Caron, Dio and others for their muck.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

AromiErotici

Let us not forget one of the most macho scents in my arsenal ;

Maxim's Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    I vote for shoot him.. jk

Supposedly Pierre Cardin messed up when setting up his licensing deal for his products and he lost control of having final say of what gets his name on it and what doesnt. And for a while in the 80's there were pens, cigar boxes, socks, calculators, doileys (well maybe not doileys) but it seemed there were way too many stupid products with his name out there. Also I think Halston had a similar situation.

oh your wrong! Pierre Cardin wanted his name on everything from cars to hand held calculators - he is more of an artist then a clothing designer. In the 70's he was into the pop art scene and wished to be the first designer to plaster his name on very thing.

Many years ago I saw a 60 minutes special on him which said how he makes mega bucks from just the royalties he is paid for selling out his name.

PC Pour Monsieur ..yes the one in the phallic bottle is a classic !!
    still holds its own to this day & still people ask what it is your wearing !

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Sak's Fifth Avenue turned down Pierre Cardin sales agreement many years ago, as explained by a MArketing teacher in a postgraduate course I took ten years ago. It seems SFA refused to carry merchandise under his name due to poor quality.

The point is, PCpH is great, but PC's strategy (having his name printed everywhere) proved a total failure. The brand became a victim of brand equity devaluation. As a matter of fact, I think he exemplifies the "industrial luxury good paradigm": luxury goods are specialty goods, this meaning there is some sort of added value in them not found in common goods. Usually, this added value is based in some skills, which are just absent in industrial production. Thus, takes a designer's name and produce their goods according to industrial procedures and technically the designer's value will be compromised. Take production to every sort of good - convenience, comparisson, specialized and not desired goods - and presto, the designer's promise on quality will eventually die.

Anyway, PCpH is in my wishlist. The juice is amazing, thanks to Coty.

BTW, I can't see the pic as posted in the link, since it is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    PC Pour Monsieur ..yes the one in the phallic bottle is a classic !!
    still holds its own to this day & still people ask what it is your wearing !
    So true, and for that reason, even if we're speaking metaphorically, I will not vote to "shoot" him. The majority of perfume houses today, including niche, would give up one of their proverbial appendages to have a success the equal of PCpH.

I own a Pierre Cardin Leather-Fur Coat for men that i bought decades ago and it's still good....
    oh the fragrance? I could do without the juice but the bottle is funny...in an infantile kind of way...but fun ...
    Hopefully the house will resurrect from the ashes one day...

I still don't condone violence and the word "shoot" is not one I'm very fond of...

cheers

Wasn't Pierre Cardin once "the most famous Frenchman in the world"? It's a shame his brand is now thought of as rather "second rate designer" as the Pierre Cardin pour Monsieur fragrance is still one of the best frags ever IMHO.