Code of Conduct

Default Cuff links with casual wear?

I think I've seen the Top Gear presenter do it. Would you go a bit further and wear a pair with a jacket-jeans-sneakers combination?
    Last edited by Mostapha; 2nd March 2009 at 09:08 AM.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Default Re: Cuff links with casual wear?

Never. But I wouldn't wear a jacket and sneakers in the first place though I see more and more guys doing it. I do wear jackets and jeans, though. French cuffs I reserve for when wearing a suit.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Personally, I would refrain from wearing cuff links if you are dressed casually. The Top Gear presenter you mentioned is often listed in the worst dressed men category, so I would not hold too much stock in what he is wearing.

Blog Entries

Jacket and jeans, yes; sneakers, no. I think having that extra bit of sparkle at the wrist is fun and I like fashion that is playful and breaks rules good-naturedly. I have two women's blouses with French cuffs and I sometimes wear them with jeans, jacket, and heels.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 2nd March 2009 at 10:21 AM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Jacket and sneakers- only if the jacket is pastel colored and you look like Don Johnson. Cufflinks would look ridiculous.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    I think I've seen the Top Gear presenter do it.
    This itself speaks volumes

Well I've been experimenting a lot lately and the thought came to my mind. I'm pretty much convinced against it now, but I might try it once, it won't kill anybody. I've seen stuff that make me want to poke my eyes, so this shouldn't be much of a problem.

A Google search for jackets with sneakers returned the following images. It's not that I necessarily approve of this, I am usually a conservative dresser, but as I said I am experimenting. The images at least show that it can be pulled off. I like how Tom Cruise looks, but not the other two. Suits and sneakers look absurd.

Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

I wouldn't hesitate. I think it's humor, irony in apparel, and can be eye catching. Further, cuff links prove that in some way you know how to "play the dress up game" if you have to. Sneakers might be pushing it though, but on priniciple in my view cufflinks are a gimmick and a fun one to use for fun.

Don't know Top Gear so I can't really say on that question.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

To me, the pictures just confirm what has been said already, it simply is not a good look.

Cuff links for casual wear ? Sure.

Sneakers ? Never.

Jeans ? Never.

Jeans with jacket ? Never (ever)

jacket-jeans-sneakers Never-never-never

cufflinks+jeans+jacket+classic shoes is ok. As DustB said it's an ironic way to wear them and play them down yet showing miles of class.
    The whole outfit with sneakers goes borderline to ridiculous: I just could consider it if you're young and the sneakers are a total black (no coloured stripes or logos etc), very slim (low sole, low shoe, lil volume in general) and shiny (like varnish).

Sneakers jeans and blazer/jackets is a staple Danish/Scandinavian fashion look. But NOT when paired with trousers.
    Ixnay on the ufflinkscay!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 4th March 2009 at 04:15 PM.

Not for me. I think <a href="http://www.cufflinks2wear.com/" target="_blank">cufflinks</a> should best be worn with formal clothes and suit.
    Last edited by chweet; 5th March 2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: error

Cufflinks for casualwear is great. It adds a bit of style and one of very few "jewelry" that I think guys can wear. Wearing it with jeans and sneakers (as long as it's a simple classic design) is fine also. You don't have to go for the full suit look... where's the fun in that?

Cuff links for casual wear ? Sure.

Sneakers ? Never.

Jeans ? Never.

Jeans with jacket ? Never (ever)

jacket-jeans-sneakers Never-never-never
    Where do you get all this? Read GQ and come back. Sneakers can fit with anything as long as their not high-top dunks or jordans. Insert a pair of converse (especially the Varvatos or Jack Purcells) and you dress down your suit. Same with jeans. And the jeans cant be baggy or anything, same lines and tailoring as the jacket.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevo30 View Post
    Where do you get all this?
    From himself. It's called an opinion. I have mine, he has his, you have yours. All are welcome to theirs and no one's (not even a magazine's) is necessarily better than anyone else's.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    From himself. It's called an opinion. I have mine, he has his, you have yours. All are welcome to theirs and no one's (not even a magazine's) is necessarily better than anyone else's.
    Yes, I agree - and we have to be especially careful applying fashion tastes and opinions to others. I read GQ, and while I was taken aback at first, some of the hipper and edgier celebs do add something with clean sporty footwear, although it's a bit of a quickie trend, IMO. The last issue somewhat won me over on the idea.

On the other hand, I know that I would look patently ridiculous combining sneakers with my suits. Older guys in my corner of the guy world pull off the same thing with loafers, topsiders, or the like - and very carefully. Frankly, adding an iPhone is about as much hipness as my fashion carcass will tolerate.

cuff links with jeans and a jacket... yes

cuff links with sneakers.... never

whenever I wear jeans with a jacket, I am shod with serious leather...

I usually don a tie that reflects that seriousness with a knot that says "don't take this too seriously because I don't" (read Atlantic or diagonal) and wear it loose.

The whole idea behind dressing down what would otherwise be serious kit is that you KNOW how this works and you are intentionally not taking it seriously.

sneakers with anything other than athletic wear are foppish. All those pictures you posted are straight up douchebaggery, no matter who the stars that wear them are...
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

by an_oud_girl; no one's (not even a magazine's) is necessarily better than anyone else's.
    Amen!

Rules...rules...rules...break some fashion rules...create your own style...be an avant-gardist...set some new trends...be confident and comfortable...have fun with your wardrobe...it AIN'T that deep--unless it's an interview, corporate, or formal.
    Last edited by analavande; 20th March 2009 at 01:53 AM. Reason: correction
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Quote Originally Posted by analavande View Post
    Amen!

Rules...rules...rules...break some fashion rules...create your own style...be an avant-gardist...set some new trends...be confident and comfortable...have fun with your wardrobe...it AIN'T that deep--unless it's an interview, corporate, or formal.
    Screw it all! I say throw on your finest silk french cuff, don your 2 carat diamond links, slip into a pair of pinstripe volcom boardshorts, find your sand-encrusted flip flops, fill up a pitcher with patron infused margarita, and head to the beach... variety is the spice of life is it not?
    At your service

Blog Entries

decillisjl, when I'm next back in Florida let's party!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

decillisjl, when I'm next back in Florida let's party!
    hey i'm always ready... no matter what you are wearing, no matter what smell you've doused yourself in, it is the outward expression of your inner "awesome" that people remember
    At your service

Alright, sorry if I came off a bit obnoxious. Anyway, I have always agreed with this:
    Rules...rules...rules...break some fashion rules...create your own style...be an avant-gardist...set some new trends...be confident and comfortable...have fun with your wardrobe...it AIN'T that deep--unless it's an interview, corporate, or formal
    Rules are meant to be broken. Mix paterns, add accessories you arent supposed to, be your own stylist.

I wouldn't. French cuff shirts only go with a suit...period.

And conversely, button-down shirts never go with a suit. (unasked-for comment).
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

The sport-blazer-with-sneakers look gives one that "artist" look. Think Ed Rusha.

I makes one look like an iconoclast and someone out of the ordinary--someone who likes to turn convention on its head.

Traditionally, the all-purpose blazer is ideal for almost all male functions.

I actually like the look of a blazer, jeans and sneakers, paired with a nice crew-necked tee.