Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on the samples I received today.

It's good. Smells like roses.

Seriously though, I got a bunch of samples/decants in today and I will give my thoughts on them as I test them.

Montale Black Aoud
    Montale White Aoud
    Montale Aoud Damascus
    Aedes de Venustas
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    By Kilian A Taste of Heaven
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Czech and Speake No. 88
    Last edited by ibarney5; 2nd March 2009 at 11:52 PM.
    Once Upon A Time In Nazi Occupied France...A Basterd's Work is Never Done ~ Inglourious Basterds

Default Re: Black Aoud by Montale: A comprehensive review.

Oh no, not another of those one of those long-winded palavering reviews! Dude, it's just COLOGNE! Can't you be more like, to the point??
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 2nd March 2009 at 09:59 PM.

Lol !

You have a few great ones in my book by the way.

No 88 is in my top 3

Chergui and Black Aoud in my top 10 !

Then i would put in order
    Aoud Damscus
    XXV

I don t like White Aoud nor Taste of Heaven and don t know the two remaining.

HAve fun with your samples
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Wow, I really wish I knew more about this stuff so I could do justice to these lovely fragrances. Anyways, here is a pitiful attempt:

White Aoud by Montale:
    -The opening oud note is quite pleasant actually. I was prepared for this ghastly break-taking opening, but it's nice. I'm beginning to learn that amber is easily cloying for me. This happened with Tobacco Toscano. It's happening here. The amber is overpowering a powdery/creamy base of vanilla. It's actually fairly pleasant, but it is, like I said, a bit cloying to my nose. More thorough testing(lighter), is in order to see if the amber can be tamed. Correction, it has toned down and isn't as cloying.

Black Aoud by Montale:
    -Oud, Oud, Oud! And rose. Perfect dupe for an actual rose bush. When I sprayed this on, it instantly brought back memories of my grandma's rose bushes. The beautiful smell of the blooms mixed with the woody stems. It's damn near perfection. Oud is beautiful.

Amouage Jubilation XXV:
    -Honestly, I just don't know. Woodsy, Smokey, Incense, Spices. Almost a peak of a creamy sweet, undertone being beaten down by the other things. I have no clue really what I am smelling, so what do I do. I look at the alleged notes. Damn, all of that in this tiny vial. Well, maybe. It is pleasant, a little rough. I don't know how to read this one really. I don't believe I hate it, but at the same time, I don't believe I like it.
    Last edited by ibarney5; 3rd March 2009 at 01:02 AM.
    Once Upon A Time In Nazi Occupied France...A Basterd's Work is Never Done ~ Inglourious Basterds

Default Re: Thoughts on the samples I received today.

Is it a good idea to order directly from Montale? They ship to the U.S. right? Take debit cards?

tell us more about the others!!
    esp #88
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Just quick rundowns. I'm too tired to go into detail.

Montale's Aoud Damascus:
    -Similar to the other two Montale's I have tried, but a little tamer opening. For some reason, I am getting an overpowering incense/woody note. Not at all appealing.

Luten's Chergui:
    -Strike two for Serge. The scent is not appalling, it's a bit pleasant, but it is cloying. Just a little tiny dab from the vial and it's just overpoweringly cloying. Un Bois Vanille was the same way.

By Kilian "A Taste of Heaven:
    -A Taste of Forgettable. Just a dull and flat scent. I really couldn't tell you what was in this because it seemed so generic and forgettable. Just dull all around.

Aedes de Venustas:
    -A sharp woodsy note with a mix of incense. I have found that I do not care for incense. It's just unappealing.

Quote Originally Posted by ibarney5 View Post
    Is it a good idea to order directly from Montale? They ship to the U.S. right? Take debit cards?
    Montale does take mail order, and you can get any 100ml botlee for 90 EUR, with an additional 30ml travel spray for FREE. FREE shipping as well.

Amouage Jubilation XXV:
    -Honestly, I just don't know. Woodsy, Smokey, Incense, Spices. Almost a peak of a creamy sweet, undertone being beaten down by the other things. I have no clue really what I am smelling, so what do I do. I look at the alleged notes. Damn, all of that in this tiny vial. Well, maybe. It is pleasant, a little rough. I don't know how to read this one really. I don't believe I hate it, but at the same time, I don't believe I like it.
    Excellent!! That's exactly what I thought about Amouage Jubilation XXV. First it is kind of rough, but then I keep smelling of a pleasant sweet, incense-y aura around me. Somebody suggested to spray liberally, so I had 4 sprays and got a headache. Can't decide I should love it or hate it.

how was 88
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja View Post
    Oh no, not another of those one of those long-winded palavering reviews! Dude, it's just COLOGNE! Can't you be more like, to the point??

Welcome to a forum on fragrance, we like to write..about fragrance..often and a lot. In fact we even encourage this
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    how was 88
    I had ordered a decant of 88 last year, and thought I was going to love it going by the notes and all the great reviews. But the incense note....I believe it's frankincense?...gives it a certain mustiness that I just don't care for. It seems that most people here that have tried it really like it though, so it's definitely worth sampling. One thing for sure- longevity and sillage are excellent.
    Last edited by DJB; 3rd March 2009 at 05:17 PM.

Thanks for Sharing your thoughts Ibarney! i can totally relate to your reviews. keep em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Welcome to a forum on fragrance, we like to write..about fragrance..often and a lot. In fact we even encourage this
    *slowly scratches chin*

For clarification:
    When I replied, the topic was "Black Aoud - a comprehensive review", and the message text was
    "t's good. Smells like roses." and nothing else.

Just quick rundowns. I'm too tired to go into detail.

Montale's Aoud Damascus:
    -Similar to the other two Montale's I have tried, but a little tamer opening. For some reason, I am getting an overpowering incense/woody note. Not at all appealing.

Luten's Chergui:
    -Strike two for Serge. The scent is not appalling, it's a bit pleasant, but it is cloying. Just a little tiny dab from the vial and it's just overpoweringly cloying. Un Bois Vanille was the same way.

By Kilian "A Taste of Heaven:
    -A Taste of Forgettable. Just a dull and flat scent. I really couldn't tell you what was in this because it seemed so generic and forgettable. Just dull all around.

Aedes de Venustas:
    -A sharp woodsy note with a mix of incense. I have found that I do not care for incense. It's just unappealing.
    What next? A few positives finally? haha
    unico grande amore.

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja View Post
    *slowly scratches chin*

For clarification:
    When I replied, the topic was "Black Aoud - a comprehensive review", and the message text was
    "t's good. Smells like roses." and nothing else.

I (now) see your point
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Black Aoud and No. 88 are the winners of this bunch. They helped me rediscover the smell of rose that I had forgotten from my childhood. Not as good as vanilla, but perhaps my second favorite note in fragrances. No. 88 is fairly similar to Black Aoud to my nose(minus the aoud opening though). I don't know if both of them have a place in my wardrobe due to their similarity, but ideally sure.

The rose in No.88 is more muted that the rose in Black Aoud, but it is still there, apparent and lovely. It's awesome. Woody rose. Not as good as Black Aoud to my nose, but still damn good. I was a little skeptical seeing vetiver on the dreaded note pyramid, but fortunate for me, it is almost non-existent. Not much else I can say about both of them, except that if you love the smell of rose bushes, the bloom and the woody stems, then you should try these. Really wonderful.

"No 88 is fairly similar to Black Aoud to my nose". You ll see that this is probably what you think in the beginning when you are not used to rose notes etc. but they are very diferent, mostly of course because of the aoud. The dry down is very diferent as well, you ll see what I mean soon. I was thinking exactly the same at the very beginning, but not all any more.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

I'm going to give Black Aoud a full wearing to work tonight. Two sprays should do it right? I got a little on the cuff of my jacket yesterday when I was spraying my wrist and when I put my coat on this morning, I could still smell it strongly.

Black Aoud and No. 88 are the winners of this bunch. They helped me rediscover the smell of rose that I had forgotten from my childhood. Not as good as vanilla, but perhaps my second favorite note in fragrances. No. 88 is fairly similar to Black Aoud to my nose(minus the aoud opening though). I don't know if both of them have a place in my wardrobe due to their similarity, but ideally sure.
    Glad to hear another Basenoter being converted to Black Aoud!

Btw, since you love vanilla so much, I think you should give Profumum's Vanitas a try - it's a massive improvement on Lutens' Un Bois Vanille (although you may find it cloying).

Two sprays. Yeah right. After the first spray, I dared not push it. Just a single spray to the chest was almost overpowering to me. I don't know how it projected, but most of the night I was surrounded by this lovely woody/rose haze. I am still catching faint whiffs of it. Beautiful.

Two sprays. Yeah right. After the first spray, I dared not push it. Just a single spray to the chest was almost overpowering to me. I don't know how it projected, but most of the night I was surrounded by this lovely woody/rose haze. I am still catching faint whiffs of it. Beautiful.

Welcome to the world of 'Montale'...

You've started with one of their best offerings. Black Aoud completely engulfs the wearer and you can get whiffs of it until the next day, like you also said. I think no other scent can surpass this excellent combination of 'aoud' and 'rose'. This is it.

Montale does take mail order, and you can get any 100ml botlee for 90 EUR, with an additional 30ml travel spray for FREE. FREE shipping as well.
    Do I just email them with what I want? How do I submit payment, through email also?

Do I just email them with what I want? How do I submit payment, through email also?
    Just a note - it's actually 95 euros and the travel bottle is 20ml Yep, you either email them all your info (including cc info, which makes me wary), or give them a call and order that way.

i tried all those and didn't care for any of them except Chergui, which to me is one of the best fragrances ever and makes other tobacco fragrances that i like seem so one-dimensional and pedestrian. surprised you didn't like it. give it another try sometime.

btw have you tried L'Artisans Voleurs de Roses? i personally think it's much better and more realistic than the rose in Black Aoud and 88. give it a try sometime, unless you have an aversion to patchouli.
    Last edited by union1411; 5th March 2009 at 12:34 AM.

Just a note - it's actually 95 euros and the travel bottle is 20ml Yep, you either email them all your info (including cc info, which makes me wary), or give them a call and order that way.
    Ok. So, $119 isn't bad for 100ml I guess. A 20ml travel bottle is enough I guess. I'm not going to complain about free stuff. 20ml will probably last a really long time with these juices. If I can go long enough without purchasing another bottle of Tobacco Vanille or SDV, this may be my next purchase. My 10ml decant should last awhile though so maybe not.

i tried all those and didn't care for any of them except Chergui, which to me is one of the best fragrances ever and makes other tobacco fragrances that i like seem so one-dimensional and pedestrian. surprised you didn't like it. give it another try sometime.
    It's not that the smell was appalling. It was actually quite good, but it has an intense cloying affect to me.
    Last edited by ibarney5; 5th March 2009 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Word, NEVER give out your credit card info in an email!