Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Arrow Today I bought (March 2009 Purchases!)

Am I really starting this thread? If I missed something please excuse...
    Yesterday, March 1, I purchased Pacifica's Avalon Juniper. A refreshing grapefruit/conifer scent. Weird, and wonderful! And the price of $20 can't be beat.

Default Re: Today I bought (March 2009 Purchases!)

I just bought Nikos Sculpture (unsniffed) because someone told me it smelled like Nivea in the blue tin/jar. I also ordered Demeter Holy Water.

2 March...

Received 2 recent eBay purchases:
    15 ml Lanvin My Sin extrait
    8 ml Lanvin Scandal extrait

Both sealed in original wrappers, so I have yet to find out the actual condition of the juice

Today I did NOT buy: I have a fifty-dollar Sephora gift cert. that I received at Christmas. I have now been to the local Sephora-in-Penney and to a fully-loaded Sephora in Jax and to the Sephora Web site, and there is nothing that I want.

It is instructive to learn that the SiP has nothing of interest. But neither did the Sephora over in Jax. Sephora has edited their frag selection way down, to onlly those items that sell best (can't really blame 'em), but this selection is not just dismal, it is depressing.

I far prefer the kiosk near the Belk's, but I have no right-to-buy there. I only go there to mess with the salesman, whose sales technique could use some improvement. After trying to convince you that you must try the latest thing (gray market Chanel Chance, c'est vrai?), you spy a bottle of Guy LaRoche Fidji. Now, Fidji is something you had in the Dawn of Fragrant Time, which in this particular instance was somewhere around the time you got your first minimum-wage paycheck, or circa late seventies. At this time department stores carried Fidji. They also carried Vol de Nuit, but we are talking about a prehistoric era, children.

Fidji sounds as if it would be tropical, bless it, just like that endless line of Kors island getaways. Fidji is not tropical. It's something like YSL Y, a chypre moderne wearing a chic fruit chapeau.

The kiosk guy wants forty more for this than you would pay on eBay or at an e-tailer, and you tell him so. He knocks five bucks off the chic fruit chapeau and then you have abstract florals. You start to walk away, honestly claiming that you have over one hundred bottles of fragrance languishing on a shelf and that you, uh, wouldn't be persuaded to purchase this for more than forty dollars.

RIDICULOUS! he shouts. I give to you for what I pay! Eighty-eight dollars!

Try again, you think. And what of the practice of cracking open a perfectly good and unopened bottle of scent just so some random and bored woman can take a sniff?

You turn your back and head towards Belk. Not that Belk has anything remarkable, but the gaping maw of its entrance seems the logical escape route.

You don't know $*#&$#( about PERFUME! Kiosk Man shouts after you, but that's only part of the game, part of the Barnum hustle done badly and coarsely, and not done where the sucker knows he's being suckered and willingly goes along for the ride for the pleasure of the crowd.

Today I bought: A lesson in ho-hum huckstering. Not worth the price of admission, which was free.

Wow, I am surprised that even the Sephora web site has nothing. Last time I checked, they had classic Guerlain, Chanel Eau Premiere, Miller Harris and Aqua di Parma as well as the mythiques line from Givenchy.

My story is rather sad too, though. I opened my two vintage bottles, and one is entirely evaporated and the other is 3/4 evaporated. Both bottles are factory sealed in original packaging...bummer
    Last edited by Asha; 3rd March 2009 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post

My story is rather sad too, though. I opened my two vintage bottles, and one is entirely evaporated and the other is 3/4 evaporated. Both bottles are factory sealed in original packaging...bummer
    Wow I hate when that happens, what a bummer Asha...I just ordered Ralph Lauren--Notorious (blind buy) because of the great price (eBay auction)...I couldn't resist and pass a good buy when I see one...even if it is unsniffed
    www.rigosplace.com

...xXjEnNyXx...

====MY ADDICTION====

<3<3 PERFUME<3<3

I got today an 8 ml split of Jean Patou Colony. Absolutely beautiful.

Yesterday I bought a mini of Missoni from e-bay.

Yes, Sephora is getting depressing, so is my local Nordstrom. I asked about the new Annick Goutal, and the SAs thouight I was mistaken and told me AG has not issued a new fragrance in years. I guess they never heard of Les Orientalists either.

Asha, I am sorry about your perfume mishap. So disappointing.
    Evenstar

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Orion, you're fabulous.

Asha, a tissue pour vous?

I'm all jolly cuz I just ordered the only thing on my wish list, and it's a real love: Profumo's Oak Moss (16ml for about $50).
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Wow, I am surprised that even the Sephora web site has nothing. Last time I checked, they had classic Guerlain, Chanel Eau Premiere, Miller Harris and Aqua di Parma as well as the mythiques line from Givenchy.

Hope you don't mind that I am replying...am very new to posting on this site...I really feel for you re: your ebay let-downs. This has happened to me before as well, with a Calyx mini. Such a shame! Will you ask for a refund?

Today I bought Eau Premiere samples from ebay. I hope they're intact! Am also trying to buy a decant of Farmacia Annunziata's Kama...fingers crossed!

I hope to spend $0 after having a killer Feb. It will be interesting to check back and see how well I did against this goal.
    Last edited by kess; 3rd March 2009 at 09:00 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Taking this opportunity to welcome lovethescents and Kess. :wave:

Everytime I see your name, Kess, I'm reminded of the Star Trek character by that name, so I assume you're very cute.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I bit the bullet today and finally received my Bois du Portugal after struggling with the temptation to buy it.

Happy Early Pascha!
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Participated in some retail therapy today. Boy, do I feel good!

Bought the large bottle of Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere, after finishing two samples. I got it free with my drug store points -- so it doesn't count as a purchase, right???

I'm lemming after the Un Jardin apres la Mousson now. But I think that I will savour the moment of unadulterated bliss of this "buy" first. That should last all of 3 days.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Quote Originally Posted by lovethescents View Post
    Hope you don't mind that I am replying...am very new to posting on this site...I really feel for you re: your ebay let-downs. This has happened to me before as well, with a Calyx mini. Such a shame! Will you ask for a refund?
    I don't think it is justified--both were wrapped in manufacturer's packaging, so the only way to check the bottles would have been to destroy the outer wrapper. I took a risk, and in the past, I had some really good ones. These just didn't pan out. I probably can resell the empty bottle to a collector for a fraction of what I paid, though :P

I don't think it is justified--both were wrapped in manufacturer's packaging, so the only way to check the bottles would have been to destroy the outer wrapper. I took a risk, and in the past, I had some really good ones. These just didn't pan out. I probably can resell the empty bottle to a collector for a fraction of what I paid, though :P
    Oh, I see your point. Still a shame and I hope you'll be able to sell those bottles...resourceful of you to think that way!

Smile Re: Today I bought (March 2009 Purchases!)

A coffret of Bon Bons from Bond No. 9. Got a great deal at fragrancenet.com! I also purchased Madagascar Spice solid perfume from Pacifica.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Taking this opportunity to welcome lovethescents and Kess. :wave:

Everytime I see your name, Kess, I'm reminded of the Star Trek character by that name, so I assume you're very cute.
    Thanks for the welcome! I've been lurking a while, but lately my fragrance "hobby" matured into something more!

My screen name is actually a derivative of my given name. I've never watched Start Trek so did not know they had a character with this name! (I'm not from the US originally).

Didn't want to expose myself as a bigger Star Trek nerd than I already have, but I confess that was my immediate thought as well.
    Welcome Kess! A fragrance hobby is like a ripe cheese: stinky and it keeps on maturing.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

...the third bottles of bodylotion and deo of Chanel No 19. I got EdT, EdP and perfume of this. This is my HG!!!

...the secound bottles of bodylotion and deo of Chanel No 5. I have the perfume, Eau Première and EdP of this, and am planing to only have Eau Première and perfume when I have finnished the EdP.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Orion, that is depressing. But I love how you tell the story.

Asha, that's disappointing. I've never been able to muster the zen attitude that ebay requires: detachment from the outcome.

Oooo, dimples, congrats on the big bottle. I must join that drugstore point program!

I ordered these in February, but I just got them recently, and I miss this thread, so I'm putting them down now: A 1/2 oz. bottle of Alien, and the Alien oil with gold wax. Sadly, the gold wax is unscented (I was hoping for a solid perfume), but everything else is golden (pardon the pun).
    Last edited by BlackCat; 4th March 2009 at 07:10 PM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Woop-woop! I am so delighted: Daim Blond today! (And the wonderful SA was very generous and slipped in a travel size of Serge Noire for free!).
    Last edited by Nukapai; 5th March 2009 at 07:09 PM.

My 100ml bottle of Balenciaga Prelude arrived today! Hooray! Totally beautiful and will I ever see it again?

5 March...got a Lanvin Arpege mini EDP (newer release). Now I can compare to the vintage!

Also, I am so jazzed because I got my Vol de Nuit extrait decant!

I have not purchased any fragrance since November! However, I am leaving for NYC in the morning and my credit card is already trembling with fear

I bought the pre-formulated Paris for my mom. (Are the 1980s and 90s already considered vintage in this case? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie Day View Post
    I bought the pre-formulated Paris for my mom. (Are the 1980s and 90s already considered vintage in this case? :-)
    If they are, I have a vintage bottle of EDT. :toppie:

I bought Shalimar Light by Guerlain sample from FragranceNet -- they have free shipping promo going on so I only had to pay for the sample ($3). My Guerlain experience is limited to two Aqua Allegorias I tried at Sephora (and which I did not care for too much), so it would be an interesting experiment to try Shalimar, albeit in a Light version.

Songes AG in EDP. I wanted to get the EdT for the blast of jasmin but they didnt have that one so I went for the pretty half moon bottle and in the EDP. Considering the store didnt raise the price when the currency tumbeld it was a decent price ( I think they bought it in when the krone was strong against the euro, then it dropped and all prices went up but they didnt mark up the perfume since it wasnt ordered after the drop)
    Last edited by Lian; 6th March 2009 at 07:28 PM.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

It's been awhile since I indulged--holidays and all--but it was time to answer the sample/decant itch, so...a small-ish decant each of Snow Rose and No. 4, and parfum samples from Strange Invisible Perfumes: Urban Lily (the reviews drove me over the edge), Black Rosette, Arunima and Persica (those last two are for my girlfriend to try mostly, though I'm sure I'll try them out too). Smelly mail anticipation--it's the best!!!

Basenotes Plus

I received my Vol de Nuit extract decant too! So excited!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I received my Vol de Nuit extract decant too! So excited!
    Ooh - dangerously good juice. I have naughty memories of wearing that juice (from a sample) at a very...ahem...seductive moment. Enjoy RHM.

Another Pacifica Solid is in my posession. After giving away the Tuscan Blood Orange that was given to me, I decided to repurchase. It's great! It comes in a cute little tin pot with a lovely soy wax based solid fragrance inside. And such a deal! I am very pleased.

Amouage ~ Homage

Vintage Mitsouko edt (if vintage is indeed 80's) from a lovely BNer.

It's a blind buy...but I think I'm safe here.

Cabotine gift set, Gres
    Amor Amor, Cacharel
    Another EA Green Tea
    all from TJ Maxx...all fresh and nice.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Hee..twice in as many days. Rochas Tocade. Thanks to Twolf for introducing us.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 8th March 2009 at 06:55 AM.

I got a GREAT deal for Baghari on Ebay...my first bottle of this. It is an unusual orange chypre, and it was introduced during my birth year. (I am sooo OLD)

Sikkim, from the Lancome La Collection. I also have some Climat and Mille et Une Roses. Climat is very engaging; for whatever reason it reminds me of a spicy pothos. Sikkim is unisex and is hardly ever discussed.

I got two bottles from my hubby today
    does that count?
    a bottle of Strawberry Flowers by Fresh
    and one of Falling in Love by Philosophy
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Yesterday I ordered two bottles I'd been really wanting, CdG KYOTO and PG IRIS TAIZO. This was a bit of a splurge, but I'd had a really tough week at work and I just felt like I deserved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Provocateur View Post
    I got two bottles from my hubby today
    does that count?
    Definitely! How nice! Is it a special occasion?

a nice mini bottle of SHOCKING

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Definitely! How nice! Is it a special occasion?
    Thank you Haunani
    Aside from the International Woman's Day, not really
    his family has always been very passionate about though
    he is just a sweetheart
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

I couldn't resist a deal on Etro Lemon Sorbet... sunshine in a bottle during another weekend of snow.

That's IT for March!

I should fess up... A travel sized Ambre Narguilé from a lovely Basenoter and AL Moroccan Mint Tea with the aid of the same lovely Basenoter! Can't wait.
    I'm also eying an Ambre Russe decant. Gad.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I finally decided that I really need a bottle of Ayala Moriel's Razala....so I bought a small bottle today Really excited now!

You should absolutely go for the Ambre Russe. It is one of my true favorites.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

NOT A BELL JAR ... BUT A BELL for $225!
    Bought a bell for our house at an estate sale yesterday. Please tolerate/forgive my excitement and need to share the news with somebody. It will be the cherry on our renovation sundae.

^^^

Ah, Q, this is much better than a bell jar!

Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Quarry! What a 'bellissimo' addition to your renovation.

From eBay: a collection of the Fresh f21C index scents. A tidy little collection with a fair number of gems.

Bought a bell for our house at an estate sale yesterday. Please tolerate/forgive my excitement and need to share the news with somebody. It will be the cherry on our renovation sundae.

Sounds like a great deal (though I haven't priced schoolhouse bells recently!) Congratulations, and please post photos of the final installation!!

happy is the bleu heart<3

I don't know the going price on bells like that, but I would think that is a bargain! Tell us more ... is it an antique? do you know where it was made and by whom? how big is it? and how the heck do you get it up to the bell tower?
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I truly love all of you for showing (or feigning) interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I don't know the going price on bells like that, but I would think that is a bargain! Tell us more ... is it an antique? do you know where it was made and by whom? how big is it? and how the heck do you get it up to the bell tower?
    Not that you could possibly care, but our bell appears to have been manufactured in the same decade as our second classroom (1870s by W.S. Harrington in Mansfield, Ohio). The bell's base diameter is only 15-3/4", and school bells were usually 20", but everything else about it is appropriate. I'll be using Google SketchUp to "re-blueprint" the bell tower (which has been gone for 49 years), and Mr. Quarry will work his magic in constructing it at ground level, disassembling it, then most gently reassembling atop our brittle, cementitious, 60yo shingles.

Oh, and the price was fairly good, especially given we could drive it home and not pay for hernia-rate shipping.

Last edited by Quarry; 9th March 2009 at 11:51 PM.

Wow, what great news Quarry! My own purchase is paltry in comparison, but I love it anyway--Chanel No.19 parfum (newer vintage than the one I already had) from a kind BNer.

Congrats on the bell Quarry..hope it only sounds when you want it to! Looks like a fabulous place to live, schoolhouse appears to have glorious windows and probably great cross ventilation seeing as that was the A/C back when it was built.

For me, a mere bottle of Lucien Lelong Tailspin
    Last edited by Zibeline; 11th March 2009 at 02:16 PM.

What a cool looking bell (and schoolhouse). Looks like the price was really good for the antique bell. Perhaps you should celebrate by getting a bell jar.

Speaking of great prices, I bought blind, but it was a cheapie: $4.95 for a bottle of Sand and Sable. It's really surprisingly nice (given the cheesy packaging and low prices)--I can see why it gets some love around here.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

The sales assistant at Lane Crawford said they might stop importing Miller Harris to HK. Errr... and here comes the damage...
    Miller Harris Coeur d’Été 100ml
    Miller Harris Noix de Tubereuse 100ml
    Miller Harris Fleur Du Matin 50ml

Travel-sized bottle of VANILLA GALANTE. A rare blind buy - trying it today!