Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Today I bought (March 2009 Purchases!)

I finally got a bottle of Heritage after thinking about it for ages.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey gals ~ snagged a deal on Flowerbomb shower gel - at Marshalls! (only $9.99!)

Post Thanks / Like

Jean Patou,
    vintage Joy and 1000
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Post Thanks / Like

I walked into Marshall's today, just to look, not buy. Right.

Walked out with Demeter Gardenia & Salt Air ($7.99 each) and Gap Smooth Sandalwood (for $3, it was a reasonable risk).

I also, amazingly, saw a bottle of Armani Prive Cuir Amethyst for a really good deal (I was shocked to find it there!). I couldn't remember the notes, but I figured it was worth a purchase--if they sounded good, it was mine, and if they didn't, it shouldn't be hard to pass it along on the sales thread. Turns out it has dominant violet. Yikes. So it went to the sales thread.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 11th March 2009 at 09:37 PM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Post Thanks / Like

I got a mini of Bulgari Blu Notte and a sample of Stella body lotion for $13 total (free shipping from FragranceNet). Still waiting on my Shalimar Light sample from the same place.

I'm being tempted by a few eBay items -- but I'm resisting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post

I'm being tempted by a few eBay items -- but I'm resisting!
    Unlike you kess, I have succombed to the evil powers of 'the deal too good to pass' - on e-bay!

Just snagged a couple bottles:

I Am Energy and Night Scented Jasmine edp!

BOTH BLIND! Yes, I must be off my *rocker! (* I originally typed rocher, I think it's subliminal!)

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I preordered Jo Malone's Kohda Wood Collection, to be released the first week of April, Lotus Blossom & Water Lily. I loved it last year but missed out on purchasing it.
    "Mom….now the kitten smells like Chamade!"

Post Thanks / Like

I just returned from NYC and oh my I could have spent some serious cash on fragrance there but this kid of mine actually expected to eat while we were there

I ended up purchasing a large bottle of Fleur de Liane for daughter No.2, a bottle of Penhaligons Bluebell for Daughter No.1 (who was with me on the trip) both of those purchased at Aedes (can i just live there?????please?????)

For myself I purchased Guerlain Attrape Coeur finally and I am ecstatic! Also got lots of samples from the VERY nice SA's at Bergdorfs and Bond No.9. REALLY wanted that humongous bottle of Chanel 31 Rue Cambon and also really loved Sycamore and Bel Respiro.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    I just returned from NYC and oh my I could have spent some serious cash on fragrance there but this kid of mine actually expected to eat while we were there

I ended up purchasing a large bottle of Fleur de Liane for daughter No.2, a bottle of Penhaligons Bluebell for Daughter No.1 (who was with me on the trip) both of those purchased at Aedes (can i just live there?????please?????)

For myself I purchased Guerlain Attrape Coeur finally and I am ecstatic! Also got lots of samples from the VERY nice SA's at Bergdorfs and Bond No.9. REALLY wanted that humongous bottle of Chanel 31 Rue Cambon and also really loved Sycamore and Bel Respiro.
    Someone please come and wipe the drool off my chin...tdi, you did some serious damage! (But I think you used restraint too...at least your kids got to eat!)

I received my bottle of Tailspin by Lucien Lelong today. Pure disappointment! It was advertised as an EDT but was EDC and weak cologne at that! I sent an email of complaint instantly and was told that EDC and EDT are used interchangeably, which is also rubbish.

I sent the site info explaining the differences (but I'm sure they know these already). They offerend to send me a second bottle of crap for free as a "thank you" but I want to send this BACK!

Caveat Emptor I guess.

Poop on Lucien Lelong
    Last edited by Zibeline; 12th March 2009 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post

Keep the economy going there tdi!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I preordered Jo Malone's Kohda Wood Collection, to be released the first week of April, Lotus Blossom & Water Lily. I loved it last year but missed out on purchasing it.
    so they are going to re-release it? Did you pre-order from their site or a store?

I have a sample of Dark Amber & Ginger Lily, which I like quite a bit, -- is that part of a re-release along with Lotus Blossom?
    Last edited by kess; 12th March 2009 at 05:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just bought a 50 ml bottle of Mitsouko edt, 8 ml decant of PG's Un Crime Exotique (yay!), SL's Datura Noir purse spray, and a decant of Petit Guerlain. Am probably going for an Avignon decant, and pondering over CSP's Ecume de The decant....hmmmmmm..

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    so they are going to re-release it? Did you pre-order from their site or a store?

I have a sample of Dark Amber & Ginger Lily, which I like quite a bit, -- is that part of a re-release along with Lotus Blossom?
    Yes, Jo Malone is rereleasing it but it has not yet appeared on their web site. I preordered it from the Jo Malone SA at SAKs. Yes, Dark Amber & Ginger Lily is the one in the black glass bottle and it is indeed part of the Kohda Wood Collection..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Yes, Jo Malone is rereleasing it but it has not yet appeared on their web site. I preordered it from the Jo Malone SA at SAKs. Yes, Dark Amber & Ginger Lily is the one in the black glass bottle and it is indeed part of the Kohda Wood Collection..

Yay! I got the sample out of curiosity from TCP, never intending to actually seek it out (and pay big $$ for a fragrance that's unavailable), but I would consider buying it now that it's back. Will have to try Lotus Blossom too -- hope they will make their way to Nordstrom's soon.

I fell off the wagon... A mini of L'Occitane Ambre. Am I utterly mad or does this highly resemble POTL Luctor et Emergo?

And a big WHOO HOO! at the reintroduction of Dark Amber & Ginger Lily. I know what I'll want for my birthday.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations to everyone who is happy about their new bottles!

Also a hug to Zibeline about Tailspin, what a bummer!

Black_Cat, I remember posting about Armani Prive fragrances on our February Purchases thread (mine had a different fragrance though), so if anyone is looking for something specific please be on the lookout, they are popping every now and then at Marshall's. Some sort of buddy/support swap is possible, I believe, like if a person in NY sees what another person, say, in another state, has on their Wish List Armani Prive-wise-- please let each other know!

Post Thanks / Like

Zibeline and I are in the dark corner of the pub, commiserating on our bad luck and drinking too much Absinthe...
    Last edited by Asha; 13th March 2009 at 12:24 AM.

Angry Re: Today I bought (March 2009 Purchases!)

Mmmmmm...absinthe.

Anyway the Tailspin goes back to the etailer tomorrow AM with a copy of their email accepting it back and refunding my money. My vintage bottle is so lovely as is the vintage Indiscret that I had such high hopes when the site claimed this was the original formula!

Struck out at Marshall's and TJ Maxx too. Just the usual pile of stuff I don't want.

Post Thanks / Like

((((Zibeline)))) sweety, those fools are just the worst type of people. Interchangeable; mon œil! (my eye), the are full of cow-patties. I will keep my eyes open for you, this weekend might be going consignment shop perusing.

I just purchased a vintage bottle of Tabu yesterday, today I also found a bottle of La Nuit by Paco Rabanne. Hope I didn't out-bid someone here, if I did I will share a sample

Hooray for all the Happy March purchases. I just love March (it's my birth-month) it is my time to splurge a little. Let's all celebrate with yummy scents
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Unlike you kess, I have succombed to the evil powers of 'the deal too good to pass' - on e-bay!
    Me too. I bought 3 new dresses then when I was broke came across a good deal on Feminite du Bois EdP. In my anxiety about the rerelease and reformulation I knew I MUST have it. So now I'm in $100+ debt to my best friend. Heh oops

Can't wait for it to arrive!!!

*does a little Snoopy dance*

I ordered samples from Luckyscent and they arrived really quickly!
    I've got:
    Gaiac - Micallef (wanted to try this for ages, given that the notes sounded right up my street)

Divine Bergamote - TDC (tried a spray in Chicago last year and loved it)

Anne Pliska EDP (given that I love Ambre Sultan, I was extremely curious about this...)

Din-Dan - Lostmarch (again, sounded right up my street; haven't tried before)

Timbuktu - L'Artisan (Wanted to try properly)

Dzongkha - L'Artisan (Already on my wishlist, but against all better judgement: it's not something I expected to like and not only do I like it, I love it. This baffles me. Wanted to wear it for a bit before splurging).

Vanille Noire du Mexique - LMdlV (well, I like exploring vanillas)

Vanille Sauvage de Madagascar (had a sample of this and can't decide)

#2 - Comme des Garcons (I'm exploring inky fragrances)

Series 5: Sherbet Rhubarb - CdG (Already on my wishlist, wanted something to tie me over)

Woop!

Post Thanks / Like

I received a Missoni mini yesterday. I liked it very much the other day I sprayed at Nordstrom, but did not want to commit to a full bottle.
    Evenstar

Post Thanks / Like

Kuumba Made Tunisian Amber oil and River Soap Company Rose Geranium soap from Whole Foods (I was craving more geranium after reading the thread about the upcoming Malle release).

Also bought Nivea cream in the blue tub to see what the fuss is about!
    Last edited by Asha; 14th March 2009 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post

Also bought Nivea cream in the blue tub to see what the fuss is about!
    Asha, you need to try the Nivea cream in the flat blue metal jar - that's the original. I think it's alot creamier and definitely the real stuff. Though the fuss is probably because of Nivea's nostalgic value. Many generations have grown up with that scent (at least in the German speaking countries). You may find nothing special about it's scent at all.

Today I bought a FB of Prada's Infusion d'Iris.

Great tales of bells and scents, everyone!

I bought Vol de Nuit Parfum. Yes.
    Je ne regrette rien.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I ventured off to TJMaxx hoping to find something fun in the fragrance and bath aisle and left empty handed. I was more annoyed than anything by the selection after reading about my fellow recent BNers' scores.

A lot of celebuscents, Armani attitude, some Gres Cabotine flankers, Tommy Girl, SJP Covet out the wazoo!

So I came home and bought some AL Woodhue and L'Occitane Honey and Lemon from a BN sales thread to comfort myself after a crappy week altogether (and because I know I like those scents)! GRRRRRR.

Je certainly regret that Tailspin purchase...beaucoup!
    Last edited by Zibeline; 14th March 2009 at 09:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooo, congratulations, Nostalgie. I was just talking about Vol de Nuit parfum as one I need to try soon.

If there is a "Get Your Jean Patou 1000 While You Can" panic crew, I'm a member.
    I just got a bottle of EDP yesterday.
    Last edited by turquoisewater; 14th March 2009 at 09:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Twolf, good idea on an Armani Prive exchange.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

For my hubby 3 bottles:
    Comme des Garcons • Palisander (for his b-day)
    Cartier • Declaration (our anniversary)
    Ungaro • Apparition Intense (just because )
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Post Thanks / Like

14 March...received Lanvin My Sin Extrait, unboxed, from eBay. But, it fits the box of the other My Sin with the evaporated juice

Potiron--here in the US, the jar is plastic, and no places have the metal tin. It is dark blue and is low and wide, like a cold cream jar only a bit shorter. Hopefully it is just new packaging for the same product.
    Last edited by Asha; 15th March 2009 at 04:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my Shalimar Light sample and I like it a lot! Must try Shalimar now.

The Bulgari Blu Notte mini also arrived but they mislabeled the carton, so I got the Pour Homme version. Now have to request a refund or replacement -- I did not really like the men's scent and I did not detect any chocolate (?) Or well -- maybe i'll finally learn the lesson of not ordering blind! (The 'mini' was 10 ml -- almost a full bottle in my book).

Post Thanks / Like

Hit Marshall's and broke down and got the RL Safari 2.5 oz for $15 before they were all gone. And Demeters Salt Air for $4.

Post Thanks / Like

Tubereuse Indiana by Creed - from the basenotes marketplace! Couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Potiron--here in the US, the jar is plastic, and no places have the metal tin. It is dark blue and is low and wide, like a cold cream jar only a bit shorter. Hopefully it is just new packaging for the same product.
    Ah, yes, yes, that should be it. In your original post I misread "tub" for "tube". You've got the right one. So, what do you think of it?

Post Thanks / Like

Reading this makes me so eager to go crazy shopping but I'm saving for London. It'd hard though especially reading basenotes and the market section here
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Received a coffret of Bond no. 9 purse sprays (bigger than the Bon Bons). Also Eadward Indulgence..a blind buy from eBay which will work great as a room fragrance, but as a skin fragrance it's not for me!
    Still waiting on my sample of Secretions Magnifique. I decided to take the plunge (into the sewer?) and see what all the hubub was about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by potiron View Post
    Ah, yes, yes, that should be it. In your original post I misread "tub" for "tube". You've got the right one. So, what do you think of it?
    I haven't tried it yet

Perhaps I will have to fix this situation, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Travel-sized bottle of VANILLA GALANTE. A rare blind buy - trying it today!
    I'm going to be interested to hear what you think about this, Haunani! Perhaps you've already posted on SotD? I'll search. As a vanilla lover this was a bit of a disappointment. I expected an ethereal, diaphanous scent, with vanilla at its heart, and instead it's quite a lily scent. Still, I'm going to see what others have said, and if they can point my nose in a direction where I can find the love for this fragrance!
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 18th March 2009 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    I'm going to be interested to hear what you think about this, Haunani! Perhaps you've already posted on SotD? I'll search. As a vanilla lover this was a bit of a disappointment. I expected an ethereal, diaphanous scent, with vanilla at its heart, and instead it's quite a lily scent. Still, I'm going to see what others have said, and if they can point my nose in a direction where I can find the love for this fragrancet!
    Hi Lizzie. I hadn't posted anything yet. So far (just tried it once), it is a bit of a disappointment. There's a thinned quality to it that somehow reminds me of skim milk or nonfat coconut milk. It IS a classy, light floral that may or may not suit me. I made a note to try it again when the weather warms, but I may end up selling or trading that pretty little blind buy bottle.

On the vanilla specifically... my thought is that it's one ingredient that isn't meant to be featured in the wonderfully transparent Ellena style. For some of us, anyway. The few vanillas that I wear and love are big dense cozy things!
    Last edited by Haunani; 16th March 2009 at 12:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I went to two other Marshalls and a TJ Max today (did the same thing yesterday) and found at Marshalls a lone bottle of Cuir Amethyst. I had never smelled it, I was actually hoping to find Bois d'Encense, but I bought it and I liked it very much.
    Evenstar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Went back to the Marshalls in Milpitas and bought Armani Privé Cuir Améthyste, one for myself and one for another BNer. Now I'm going to update my wardrobe!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Received my order of Neil Morris samples. Ordered quite a few, and lovely BNers sent me a few more. I'm going to have a time!!!

Went for a sniffter yesterday, and the shop I raided had a few Rosines, Lostmarch and other things at 40% off. By the looks of it, it was purely because they were discontinuing the lines. I didn't buy any of them, but if anyone is in need I'd be happy to oblige.
    I thought I might as well mention it here as anywhere else, no?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Talking Re: Today I bought (March 2009 Purchases!)

I'm so excited!!! I just bought two on my wishlist, Ralph and Nuit de Noel, from a wonderful BNer. :bounce:
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 17th March 2009 at 04:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Me again! The Shiseido Feminite du Bois original formula from fragrancenet was waiting for me when I got home. Too bad I've already gone green today in Laurier-Reglisse and Herba Fresca. But I know what my SotE will be!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

Norell and Perfumes, the Guide (Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez)
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

San Diego kills me. Not only does it have perfume shops galore, it also has the best and most convenient sailing launches!!!!!!!! Agh! My wallet is hurting.

In spite of that, I didn't purchase any perfume in San Diego last week. No, I purchased Paco Rabanne Calandre in the Central Valley, because I'm too much of a scaredy-cat to use up my last drops of Calandre parfum. 'Turns out, the newer version can scarcely hold a candle to the old. Longevity was disappointing compared to the parfum. And maybe it's the lack of oak moss that made me feel kind of "eh" about the purchase.

Then, I wanted to go ahead and purchas Tom Ford's Japon Noir, but the Neiman Marcus in Fashion Valley Mall (San Diego) closes at 7 PM, and I *just* got there at 7:15 PM. What kind of store closes at 7 PM on a weekday????

Anyway, it's just as well, because this month, I'm also buying Le Labo Vetiver 46. 'Big spender this month, I fear.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Smile Re: Today I bought (March 2009 Purchases!)

From my favorite enabler/etailer luckyscent I purchased Bois1920 Extreme. This has been on my wishlist for a long time, so I'm really excited.

Red face Re: Today I bought (March 2009 Purchases!)

In March I bought, the new NR essence, love it, EA Pretty, waiting for the new Badgley Mischka Couture to arrive today.Love the new Romance Always Yours two bottles worth and have three bottles of David Yurman,

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Whilst writing reviews of DSH Perfumes, I fell in love with (and HAD to buy) Padme Lotus and Giardini Segreti.
    I'm saving up for Parfum de Grasse & Rose Vert in the parfum....too, too wonderful!

Just returned from New York with a bottle each of Apres L'Ondee EDT 100ml & L'Heure Bleue EDP 75ml

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paula View Post
    Just returned from New York with a bottle each of Apres L'Ondee EDT 100ml & L'Heure Bleue EDP 75ml
    Two great choices. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Two great choices. Enjoy!
    Thanks! Blew my whole fragrance budget for the trip in twenty minutes in Bergdorf Goodman!

Post Thanks / Like

18 March...eBay purchases arrived. A mini bottle of vintage Lanvin Rumeur extrait and a mini bottle of vintage Raphael Replique parfum.

Chergui.
    That boutique at the Palais Royal would make anyone cave.
    The SA was so utterly charming, patient, helpful....I like nothing more than talking to SAs bout perfume in France. Not to mention the generous samples.

The best part is that they almost stop you from buying if you have not left the store and worn the scent for a while, and they know a great deal about the scents.

[Well, this is true of Guerlain, Etat libre d'orange, Frederic Malle, l'Artisan parfumeur, Lutens (at the aforementioned Shiseido /Palasi Royak liocation), and basically most department stores].

There are a few exceptions, I won't name names, where the staff know surprisingly little about their scents and are not too helpful, but still, they never push a sale.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 19th March 2009 at 08:00 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Post Thanks / Like

My "vintage" bottle of Feminite du Bois EdP arrived yesterday too (but I picked it up from the PO today). I was shocked that on the declaration form it was labelled as "perfume" and yet it was no different to picking up a package labelled as something else.

I'm in love all over again! It's much nicer than the Eau Timide - stronger. I'm even more curious as to how the reformulated version compares now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The day is still so young, but a large bottle of Clinique Simply (for $17 CAD!). Am off to check out some CdGs finally available in my area......:-)

I finally placed an order at "accessories for fragrance" for some empty glass vials... the shipping was a bit outrageous, but now I will be able to send some long overdue nice packets to a few Basenoters who have recently delighted me.

No new perfumes this time; very happy with sampling and waiting for my birthday for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Today I bought (March 2009 Purchases!)

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes