Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Today I bought (March 2009 Purchases!)

Even though it's 80's here in California: a decant of Sienne l'Hiver.

Blog Entries

A bottle of CdG2 (yaaaaay, finally!)

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I finally got off my butt and went to town to (go sailing and) to buy a bottle of Chanel Coco EdT (for my grandma). What finally propelled me was the death of an uncle. Gotta enjoy this stuff while you're alive, you know! I'm going to try to mail this off Monday (along with the other packages!).
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Today I received a bottle of Ungaro Apparition. I had liked it a few years ago but never bought it. I found it for $17.00. It seems sweeter than I remembered. Reminds me of Cartier Delices, but I like the dry down more than the Cartier.

I bought a bunch of Armani Prive's but I just ended up with Cuir Amethyste for me, I sent the others to various BNers. I failed to find Bois d'Encens from BNers who have found them in the East Coast, so I bought one from e-Bay. Can't wait to get it.

I also got some samples of Straight to Heaven and Prelude to Love.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 22nd March 2009 at 11:56 PM.
    Evenstar

I bought big bottles of Crown Perfumery Eau de Quinine and Stephanotis. The latter is a sensual, creamy and warm floral with just a hint of "dirty girl". Now I understand why it was designed for Isidora Duncan.
    Last edited by Merbert; 22nd March 2009 at 05:53 AM.

A big one: F. Malle's Une Rose, to celebrate the inclusion of two stories in an anthology. Not that I want to give the impression that I could afford this purchase, but it seemed an occasion worth celebrating even as it is worth noting as mind-boggling ("Who, me?"). Une Rose, with its truffle note like a quirky artisanal chocolate, seemed a good metaphor for the unexpected (a rose is not a rose by any other name). Plus, Une Rose is rose maudite in the brighter company of other rose fragrances, often overlooked for reasons of strangeness or economy.

Feeling very 'privé' today with the acquisition of Armani Cuir Améthyste and Amber Soie (thanks, an_oud_girl!)

Blog Entries

*Sigh*

MUST RESIST TEMPTATION TO BUY!

Only The Brave by Diesel.....and it's Excellent.
    Gary

Finally, my Un Jardin apres la Mousson arrived today. I'm getting ready spring and summer with this one.
    Last edited by dimples; 23rd March 2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: spelling
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Feeling very 'privé' today with the acquisition of Armani Cuir Améthyste and Amber Soie (thanks, an_oud_girl!)
    You're very welcome, Kess!

I've been happily scooping up the Privés when I see them and redistributing them to BNers who can't find them locally. I have an extra Éclat de Jasmine that I can't make up my mind about (it's hard to not buy them when you see them so cheap!). I don't want to open it if I'm going to forward it to someone else. I've gone from disliking jasmine to occasionally loving it. I love A la Nuit and like Jasmin Noir, but if there's tuberose or aldehydes mixed in I can't stand it. Unfortunately, there are no reviews of Éclat de Jasmine in the directory. Guess I'll have to stop by Nordstrom next week and sample theirs. In the meantime, I've bought it!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    You're very welcome, Kess!

I've been happily scooping up the Privés when I see them and redistributing them to BNers who can't find them locally. I have an extra Éclat de Jasmine that I can't make up my mind about (it's hard to not buy them when you see them so cheap!). I don't want to open it if I'm going to forward it to someone else. I've gone from disliking jasmine to occasionally loving it. I love A la Nuit and like Jasmin Noir, but if there's tuberose or aldehydes mixed in I can't stand it. Unfortunately, there are no reviews of Éclat de Jasmine in the directory. Guess I'll have to stop by Nordstrom next week and sample theirs. In the meantime, I've bought it!
    I've seen a few reviews --

http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...8/3238111.html

http://perfumeposse.com/2007/06/20/a...lat-de-jasmin/

I'll have to stop Nordstrom's to try other ones! I recall they had about 7 scents (did not look at all of them, but I recall Rose Alexandrie, Vétiver Babylone and Ambre Soie.) They were at the Armani counter, not in the "main" perfume area.

BTW, refill bottles are really classy! I may even prefer them to the glass bottles that some of the scents come in, such as Vétiver Babylone.

I wish I had already sampled these...now I have no point of reference!

Snagged a bottle of Hypnose from the marketplace ~ thanks Asha!!!

Two incredible Marketplace finds from two very fine gents:

Comme des Gaçons • 3 from Volsungen
    Tauer • L'air du Désert Marocain from Urgetopurge

Blog Entries

Roberto Astaroth'd his purchases!

Asha, which ones are you referring to? Honestly, it won't take much persuasion to get me to crack that cellophane.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

The Mimosa Pour Moi that I ordered from Beautycafe.com in late February, but which was on backorder, finally arrived today.

Well worth the wait!

On Saturday I bought Ormonde Jayne Frangipani while in London so I'm all set for Spring and Summer!

This is more of a "Today I received" (since I already posted when I purchased it on the male board), but I'm so bowled over with what I received I had to report it where some people will better appreciate it...

Dior Diorella parfum... some of you may realize this is not easy to find. It smells wonderful! All the lushness of Diorella but with a depth the EdT does not have. The peach, melon, florals, and even the underlying chypre 'ghost note' have much more clarity. It's not as bright and airy as the EdT (obviously), but it lasts a long time and you can really track the development through its phases. Although not required, the box is in mint condition without a crease or ding on it... all in all I feel like I acquired a crowning jewel of my collection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Travel-sized bottle of VANILLA GALANTE. A rare blind buy - trying it today!
    Hi Haunani,

How do you like it? This seems like right up your alley!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chaelaran1008 View Post
    On Saturday I bought Ormonde Jayne Frangipani while in London so I'm all set for Spring and Summer!
    Chaelaran 1008, I'm soooo very very jealous! It's one of OJ's tops! Enjoy it!

Blog Entries

Jean Patou Vacances mini....such a wonderful and rare find!

Tom Ford Black Orchid at Marshalls, and a few tubs of Pink Sugar bubble bath...yum

Quote Originally Posted by Aznavour View Post
    Even though it's 80's here in California: a decant of Sienne l'Hiver.
    Aznavour, despite its name, I could see wearing Sienne l'Hiver ANY time of the year. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    A big one: F. Malle's Une Rose, to celebrate the inclusion of two stories in an anthology...
    Congratulation, Orion! I was reading one of your posts recently, and I was thinking that you must be a writer. You so obviously have a way with words. And UNE ROSE is choice. IMO, a true masterpiece. I have a little travel size bottle, but one of these days I will splurge too for a special occasion. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by lovethescents View Post
    Hi Haunani,

How do you like it? This seems like right up your alley!
    Well, lovethescents, I'm not sure. See this post for my first impressions:

http://tinyurl.com/cqo8fy

Dinner by Bobo, Nicolai's Fig Tea (getting ready for warmer weather, and Nicolai's Eau Exotique (ditto). Now, it's really time to tighten the purse strings!

25 Mar -- from eBay, a mini of Coco Mlle parfum...the perfect size for a Coco adjunct, 3.5 ml.

My eBay-sourced Thé pour Un Eté 'creme de parfum' (body lotion) arrived; it was a random buy: I've never tried the scent but read good reviews. But I never tried one of their lotions and the price was right.

I guess I'm getting ready for summer too!

Today I received Armani Prive Bois d'Encens.
    I also received Eau de Campaigne from a lovely BNer and some beautiful samples from ChantyllyLace (thank you so much)!
    Evenstar

[I'm goin' to Chicago, like a kid to a candy store. Watch this space.]

The L'Artisan boutique there has closed, apparently, so maybe the damage won't be quite so bad.

03/31/09: Are you still watching this space?

At the Hermès boutique, I picked up the travel set of 15ml Hermèssences, with Rose Ikebana, Vetiver Tonka, Poivre Samarcande, and Ambre Narguilé. Mauricio was sweet & charming, my favorite SA of the Chicago trip, showing me some of my favorite scents. How could I resist?

At C.O. Bigelow, I found L'Artisan's Spice Set, with Safran Troublant, Poivre Piquant, and Piment Brûlant. I took advantage of a store-wide special offering $25 off, and walked away with more established favorites.

I found my beloved Flowerbomb shower gel at Marshall's, and a purse roll-on of LaVanila's Vanilla Grapefruit at Sephora.

Like ubuandibeme, I bought a few different custom-blend items at Aroma Workshop: 2 purse sprays and 2 roll-ons.

I have many more items on my wishlist after this trip, though!
    Last edited by tang; 1st April 2009 at 01:50 AM.

50 ml of Midnight Fantasy (Britney).
    I bought a bottle of this one when it first came out, wore it a couple of times before I passed it on to daughter.
    So, why did I buy another bottle? Because Chandler Burr honored it with four stars? Yes, that must be the main reason. The ONLY reason. I am nuts.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    [I'm goin' to Chicago, like a kid to a candy store. Watch this space.]
    Watching ... watching ...
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

BEAUTIFUL BELL, MS. QUARRY!!! May it ring joyously for many years to come in your school.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j
    I'm going to be interested to hear what you think about (VANILLE GALANTE), Haunani! Perhaps you've already posted on SotD? I'll search. As a vanilla lover this was a bit of a disappointment. I expected an ethereal, diaphanous scent, with vanilla at its heart, and instead it's quite a lily scent. Still, I'm going to see what others have said, and if they can point my nose in a direction where I can find the love for this fragrancet!
    Hi Lizzie. I hadn't posted anything yet. So far (just tried it once), it is a bit of a disappointment. There's a thinned quality to it that somehow reminds me of skim milk or nonfat coconut milk. It IS a classy, light floral that may or may not suit me. I made a note to try it again when the weather warms, but I may end up selling or trading that pretty little blind buy bottle.

On the vanilla specifically... my thought is that it's one ingredient that isn't meant to be featured in the wonderfully transparent Ellena style. For some of us, anyway. The few vanillas that I wear and love are big dense cozy things!
    Hi, ladies! I tested Vanille Galante recently, and agree that it's more of a transparent lily than a vanilla scent, though as one who often has trouble with white or waxy flower notes, I have to say I really enjoyed it! I also did get a distinct vanilla note on my skin, though more in the midst of the scent than as a featured note, which I think echoes Haunani's impression. I'll be testing it some more, but suspect that it's going on my Wishlist.

As for purchases, I have been trying diligently to steer clear of buying anything right now (went a bit wild with the sales after the winter holiday season, and while I knew my DH [a freelance writer] was under-employed this past year, doing our taxes recently really hammered home that 2008 was not kind to us financially). BUT... last week one of my "saved searches" on EvilBay popped up, and I caved and placed a bid... And I won a brand new bottle of Tom Ford Japon Noir at about 40% off retail price, including shipping!!! ::doing the happy dance, carefully keeping the Tom Ford bottle still::

My Dad brought me back a little hand-painted marble perfume bottle from Japan for my birthday last summer, and I've been saving it for JN. Yay!

Also stay tuned. SomervilleMetroMan seems to have talked me into stalking the wild Parfumerie Generales in Canada at The Perfume Shoppe. Oh no!!! After that, I really am going to freeze my credit cards in blocks of ice.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    A big one: F. Malle's Une Rose, to celebrate the inclusion of two stories in an anthology. Not that I want to give the impression that I could afford this purchase, but it seemed an occasion worth celebrating even as it is worth noting as mind-boggling ("Who, me?"). Une Rose, with its truffle note like a quirky artisanal chocolate, seemed a good metaphor for the unexpected (a rose is not a rose by any other name). Plus, Une Rose is rose maudite in the brighter company of other rose fragrances, often overlooked for reasons of strangeness or economy.
    WOW & BRAVO, Orion (both on the publication of your stories and on your fragrance choice)! I absolutely adore Une Rose. Keep hoping I'll be able to afford it by the time Frederic Malle comes back to the Boston Barneys to hawk his wares and sign bottles, whenever that may be.

Meanwhile, enjoy your wonderful buy and wear it in delight and good health!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Blog Entries

Shhhh!!! Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We're hunting PG's.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

lizzie_j are you talking dinner at Bobo on Lombard? One of my all time favorites.

I went a little nuts on the luckyscent site today... and will have these samples winging their way to me soon:

Creative Universe - Beth Terry, Element of Attraction
    Comme des Garcons, Play
    Comme des Garcons Series 2: Sequoia
    Comme des Garcons Series 5: Rhubarb
    Tauer Perfumes, L'Air du desert marocain
    Eau d’Italie, Sienne l’Hiver

Not perfume, but empty vials (and a couple of bigger sprays for me to use as travel bottles) from "accessories for fragrance". Had to order from the USA as there seems to be nobody in UK offering these things to the general public. Maybe Grant should start a sideline business?

The order arrived promptly and was peppered with random trinkets and stickers as decoration

I've made up for lost time.

On Monday I placed a large order of samples and dec*nts from TPC.

Today: EL PC Amber Ylang Ylang at Nordstroms.

Today I received my goods from Parfum1 (25% off), including 2 blind buys:

Nude, Bill Blass (blind: Ugh. The sample I had that I thought had gone bad, wasn't.)
    Metal, Paco Rabanne (blind: not sure.)
    Calandre, Paco Rabanne
    Tea Rose
    Mitsouko EdT (for husband)
    Canali (for husband)

Shalimar edp special edition and Lolita Lempica - both blind buys

Kapsule Woody mini

Thank you Dimitri for an inspiring review
    Evenstar

A bottle of Armani Prive Cuir Amethyste and a bunch of lovely samples from the Very Generous arwen_elf! Thank You so much! I love them all!

Coming from Ebay next week:
    1. COCO Chanel EDT
    2. Narciso Rodriguez EDT
    3. Chanel Allure EDT
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Well well well, we are certainly doing OUR part for the economy, aren't we?

I am here to rescind my previously-posted opinions of VANILLE GALANTE. Lovethescents, you were right. I really IS up my alley. It’s a warm day here (got up to 80 or 81 degrees), and I wore VG for the second time. I am now entranced by it. For me, I think, the warmth brings out the florals and the salt. I’m really enjoying the green edge and the saltiness, and the way they contrast with the sultry lily and ylang-ylang. There is definitely a watery creamy thing going on that turned me off originally. Now it seems more in the background. I do have to say that I like the top and middle notes best.

So I'm a happy camper with my new little bottle. I hope all of you will be as happy with your purchases!

My current habit of paying too much money for vintage parfums continues, I picked up a mini of

Givenchy III parfum
    (thus I now have the EdT, EdP and parfum).

* if anyone wants to split a larger bottle of Givenchy III parfum, there is one that keeps popping up on eBay that no one ever buys.

acquired trumper's west indian limes and taylor's shaving shop in jermyn st.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I found Cuir Amethyst and Amber Soie refills from the Armani Prive Line at TJ Maxx.
    Gary

I've been bad this month. Add to my list Etro Heliotrope, Ava Luxe Loukhoum, Crown Sandringham, Eau de Quinine and another Ess Bouquet.

So far I'm still resisting that pull to purchase No.88.

Im delighted to have re-discovered LPNo9 For Her. Despite the luminous pink juice, it is actually very wearable for men.
    I just won a BNIB 100ml on ebay for $30

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 29th March 2009 at 08:28 AM.

My stores finally have the CA and Eclat Jasmine!
    If anyone is interested, let me know.

As for me, I found a Chant D'Aromes 3.1oz IN THE CANNISTER, for 75.99...so home it came!

Well well well, we are certainly doing OUR part for the economy, aren't we?

I am here to rescind my previously-posted opinions of VANILLE GALANTE. Lovethescents, you were right. I really IS up my alley. It’s a warm day here (got up to 80 or 81 degrees), and I wore VG for the second time. I am now entranced by it. For me, I think, the warmth brings out the florals and the salt. I’m really enjoying the green edge and the saltiness, and the way they contrast with the sultry lily and ylang-ylang. There is definitely a watery creamy thing going on that turned me off originally. Now it seems more in the background. I do have to say that I like the top and middle notes best.

So I'm a happy camper with my new little bottle. I hope all of you will be as happy with your purchases!
    Haunani, I'm eyeing to purchase a bottle of VG too. I love it and it lasts a long time on me. I get the green, ylang-ylang, plus the aquatic notes, but I don't get the salt?, I must try it again.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Givenchy Le De EDT.

Blog Entries

It's official.

I've gone off the deep end.

I just ordered L'Artisan Fleur d'Oranger-- and that pretty much means I have to stop buying perfumes for a few months. But that's okay. I have a lot of recent buys to enjoy, mostly L'Artisan.

I was on the fence with this fragrance for months! I went through 3-- or was it 4?-- samples. Something about it was indescribably, painfully beautiful but there was a note that tormented me, and given the cost of this scent, I just couldn't buy it until I figured it out. It was earthy; could it have been indole? I was stuck because usually indole turns me off and I didn't want to buy this and then, a month later, decide it wouldn't work for me.

Today wearing the sample yet again, I finally "got" it-- it's the honey note! This scent coodinates well with my B&BW Honey & Shea products. Now it all clicks together. I am astonished the extent to which our understanding can affect whether a scent wins us over. Now I'm picturing the industrious little honey bees all over the orange blossoms...a bucolic image that adds to the charm of the perfume.

I tried a number of other neroli and orange blossom scents in the past few months, but didn't find anything that grabbed me like this one. So long, money!

Basenotes Institution

Applause to you, 30 Roses! Please wear it in good health. It IS the best orange blossom offering on the market there can possibly be.

Blog Entries

Thanks Twolf-- check your messages!

I found Armani Prive Eau de Jade yesterday at one of the ickiest Marshall's I have been to. It was hidden at the very back of the bin.

It is very citrusy with vanilla. Smells like dessert! Yummy. I would not have bought this at regular price, but at this price I did not think twice!
    Evenstar

congrats on your purchase, 30 Roses! I'll have to dig out my sample and try it again.

I ordered Diptyque Opoponax room spray off eBay -- it's the note that really interests me in their Eau Lente, but I have to "suffer" through about an hour of cinnamon bark to get to it. If it does not work as a personal fragrance, I'll use it as a room spray.

I keep saying "no more blind buys" but I cannot stand to let a good deal go by ($35 incl shipping)

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    Haunani, I'm eyeing to purchase a bottle of VG too. I love it and it lasts a long time on me. I get the green, ylang-ylang, plus the aquatic notes, but I don't get the salt?, I must try it again.
    I get a distinct, pleasant saltiness throughout. Maybe we have different perceptions about what is "salty"? Could very well be! It certainly IS lovely - green florals are fast becoming one of my favorite categories!

Add to my March list: Minis of Ombre Rose and Ivoire perfumes from e-bay sellers.

Chicago did me in! (and Tang didn't try to stop me...not once! )

Aside from a new handbag, assorted makeup products, roasted hazelnut candle, and essential chocolates (heh, heh, heh) I bought:

Chloe' Karl Lagerfeld (came with freebie gwp!)
    Strawberry Flowers Fresh
    L'Eau D'Issey Issey Miyake
    Amber Christiane Cello
    Brooklyn Bond No.9 (.25oz. spray off e-bay)
    French Lime Blossom Jo Malone

And created my own fragrance ~ with Myrrh and Petals ~ I think I'll call it Myrrh~Made Blossom, bought it in EDT, essential oil, shower gel and body lotion.

Also created Violet Petal, but only bought the essental oil.

What a way to wrap up the month ~ it was definitely March Madness!!!!!! (thanks for helping me with the photo, tang! )
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 30th March 2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: adding picture

Today I won a 50ml bottle of Kenzo Eau de Fleur de Magnolia on Ebay for £15. I saw it in the Duty Free at an airport last week for 43 euros and in store for 55 euros and sensibly held myself in check till I got home. It is bound to be in good condition, as it is just out!

I also got a 6ml purse spray of DKNY Gold with a 30ml body lotion for a tenner on Ebay, while yesterday I bought a 50ml of CK Truth on Ebay for £17. (That is a lovely green scent that is underrated, and quite unlike the line in general.)

And this is on top of the Balenciaga Cristobal mini I got on Ebay the other day and the 50ml Cuir de Lancome bottle I got in T K Maxx for £29.99 earlier in the month. I think that is all the damage for March. I am coming to the end of a really hard work project, and I guess this is my way of treating myself!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Went back to TJ for the Eclat de Jasmin and Cuir Amethyste....not sure if I'll keep them though.