Code of Conduct

Default The best masculine perfume with orange blossom... is????

For me is Fleur du Male and also Fahrenheit 32.

In FdM the orange blossom is the principal note, in F32 the orange blossom is in the opening.

Default Re: The best masculine perfume with orange blossom... is????

Narcisco Rodriquez for Her, perhaps? LOL.

Is orange blossom, neroli? If so then most definitely Castile.

Czech & Speake Neroli is one of the tops. There have been various discussions of neroli fragrances to compare and contrast. I hope you stumble across them, because they've been very helpful in exploring the genre.

My favourite orange based scent for men is Feu D'Orange by L'Occitane. It's a spicy orange and smells so good you could virtually eat the air around you.

Infusion D'Homme is a Neroli bomb in my opinion and just projects orangeness. Don't like it as much as the L'Occitane offering, which if it were marketed by Creed would be hailed as genius. It's fantastic.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Bond Eau de New York would be my favorite Neroli so far. It has a lot of other notes going with Neroli but Neroli is the most pronounced note that I get from it.

Tom Ford Neroli Portofino is also not bad.
    I've also just sampled C&S Neroli which I found to be fairly long lasting.

To be honest with you it's hard to choose one as all of these are really good and play the same theme.

My favorites so far are Neroli Sauvage - Creed and Neroli - Czech and Speake

Profumo.it also has an interesting fragrance called Holy Water with neroli and frankincense in it - it's all natural and extremely uplifting.
    Sales thread here

Orange blossom is one of my favorite fragrance accords!

Three fracrances I've pulled out from the back of my wardrobe for this spring are:
    Caron - L'Anarchiste
    Creed - Citrus Bigarrade
    Creed - Neroli Sauvage

(I'm sure I'll change my mind by next week!)

Orange blossom and neroli are different.

The neroli obtains otherwise that the simple essence of orange blossom.

oh.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco Sweet View Post
    Orange blossom and neroli are different.

The neroli obtains otherwise that the simple essence of orange blossom.
    Are you drunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    Are you drunk?
    Haa!!!
    Thank you.

Are you drunk?
    No, I think he's trying to translate as best as he can what he's thinking in Spanish into English. Sometimes the idioms just do not match up.

I'm not as think as you stoned i am..
    Last edited by ajmc; 3rd March 2009 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post
    No, I think he's trying to translate as best as he can what he's thinking in Spanish into English. Sometimes the idioms just do not match up.
    jajajajaja !!!! Sorry !

You have reason.

Concur with L' Anarchiste and will add the equally fabulous Rochas Lui.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

There certainly appears to be no lack of idioms using any language, particularly so in fragrance discussions.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

No, I get that. There are plenty of people on this board who have difficulty expressing complex sensual impressions in English. The effort is appreciated.

What I don't understand is why he requests opinions on orange blossom-based fragrances and rejects the several neroli-based fragrance recommendations. Is he actually drawing a distinction between orange blossom and neroli? Does he even know the difference? More importantly, is the difference between the two actually distinguishable in any material way to the consumer of commercial perfumery?

I think not. If he didn't want recommendations for neroli-based fragrances after, essentially, asking for them, he should have said "Don't suggest neroli. I'm talking about the actual orange blossom flower, not the oil extracted from it." Because the two are virtually interchangeable, practically speaking.
    Last edited by Circa1905; 3rd March 2009 at 03:12 AM.

Are you drunk?
    No. What he is getting at is the fact that Neroli and Orange Blossom are extracted by different methods, therefore, they do not smell the same. MikePerez was the first one to tell me about this and what I have found is that neroli is actually quite more expensive than OB. I am not sure whether OB can be extracted naturally or not.

My favorite Neroli is C&S by far. I tried the Creed, but it did not impresses me.

My favorite O. Blossom is Fluer du Male. The "La Cologne" version is also quite good, it reminds me of Habit Rouge Legere. Also worth exploring is Fragonard's Fleur d'Oranger, quite feminine, but much better than the versions by L'Artisan and Serge Lutens.

And no, he is not trying to get attention for the sake of attention.
    Last edited by irish; 3rd March 2009 at 03:44 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Basenotes Institution

What I don't understand is why he requests opinions on orange blossom-based fragrances and rejects the several neroli-based fragrance recommendations. Is he actually drawing a distinction between orange blossom and neroli? Does he even know the difference? More importantly, is the difference between the two actually distinguishable in any material way to the consumer of commercial perfumery?

I think not. If he didn't want recommendations for neroli-based fragrances after, essentially, asking for them, he should have said "Don't suggest neroli. I'm talking about the actual orange blossom flower, not the oil extracted from it." Because the two are virtually interchangeable, practically speaking.
    I have to disagree Circa1905.

They do not 'smell alike' and they are not 'virtually interchangeable' to my nose.

Do yourself a favor and seek out samples of orange blossom essential oil and neroli essential oil and smell them side-by-side.

Many people on BN (wrongfully) assume the two are the same note. They are not. It's threads like this, where this myth can be corrected.

Back on topic:

Try the new Varvatos scent, Artisan. I hear it's orange blossom prominent.

Oh! another excellent OB is La Chasse aux Papillons by L'Artisan. If you can find L'Artisan fragrances in MX please drop me a PM Paco_sweet.

Artisan by John Varvatos is the best! So amazing clean and refreshing! Loves it . A summer must have for those wanting a super orange blossom fragrance

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    No. What he is getting at is the fact that Neroli and Orange Blossom are extracted by different methods, therefore, they do not smell the same....

Also worth exploring is Fragonard's Fleur d'Oranger, quite feminine, but much better than the versions by L'Artisan and Serge Lutens....
    Orange blossom and neroli are quite distinct to me. I've been looking for a good orange blossom and will try to find the Fragonard mentioned in this post.

La Cologne Fleur du Male - the one which came out in 2008, in the opaque bottle. Much fresher than Fleur du Male.

Rochas Lui
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Jaguar for Men (original) anyone? Seemingly quite well thought of according to the reviews here but not mentioned very often on the forum.

I will add the Castle Forbes Neroli(limited,500 bottles)

bitter orange tree
    leaves & twigs
    solvent extraction------>Petigrain Concrète Bigaradier--->extraction--->P. Absolue B.
    destillation---->petigrain bigarade
    fruit
    pressing------->bitter orange oil (food industry)
    blossoms
    steam distilliation---->neroli oil; Eau de Fleurs d'Oranger-->extraction-->Absolue O. des Eaux
    solvent extraction---->Oranger Concrète------->extraction---->Oranger Absolue

Of couse, stuff like Fahrenheit or Gaultier is 100% synthetic anyway. And although there are very good synthetic nerolis, these two don't smell natural in the remotest. I personally think they are vile.

I agree C&S Neroli is tops, Castile is also wonderful (my SotD). Dominguez Azahar is a decent cheapo (aimed at women). On threads like this I also always highly recommend Mullahabia (a pudding dessert scented with orange blossom water popular in Lebanon, Cyprus etc.). To die for!
    Last edited by the_good_life; 3rd March 2009 at 07:24 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Neroli= Castile

Orange Blossom= Penhaligon's Orange Blossom

4711 has a fantastically crisp feeling orange melange as well.
    Last edited by argogos; 4th March 2009 at 01:50 AM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

FLORIS #127 and PENHALIGON'S CASTILE are my all time favorite nerolis (orange blossom oil).

Has anyone mentioned Habit Rouge?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Neroli and Orange Blossom don't smell alike to me either. I'm with that camp.

My favorite Orange Blossom scent is Fleurs d'Oranger by Le Labo. The Orange Blossom from Jo Malone is really nice too. I'm comfortable wearing either of those. My girlfriend wears Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger which is really wonderful as well, but it's more feminine that I generally like to wear.

PdN New York opens with a great orange blossom accord.

i have a sample of c&s neroli and a 50ml of FMs bigarade concentree. the neroli in my opinion smells like an old lady. bigarade concentree smells modern and is streets ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Has anyone mentioned Habit Rouge?
    I did. In the legere version the note is more prominent IMO.

The little-discussed TL pour Lui (Ted Lapidus) is a refreshing orange-blossom scent, although perhaps not the very best of its kind.

Habit Rouge EDC and Acier Aluminium
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

To clear up some of the confusion:

Neroli is the name given to the essential oil derived from the steam distillation of orange blossom flowers from the bitter orange tree (Citrus aurantium); orange blossom (or, more correctly, orange blossom absolute) is the name give to the absolute from produced by hydrocarbon solvent extraction from the same orange blossom flowers. They have different scent profiles; the absolute tends to be closer to nature since the solvent extraction process leaves most of the orange blossoms’ aromatic constituents untouched. This is not the case with steam distillation of the orange blossoms from which you get a different set of aromatic constituents and hence a different scent profile for the neroli essential oil that is the end product. This is mainly because steam distillation is actually a more invasive, destructive process than solvent extraction. With steam distillation a number of other chemical process are set in motion that destroy some aromatic compounds of the original orange blossoms; hence the difference between the orange blossom absolute and the neroli essential oil. Orange blossom absolute has a defining heavy indolic note; neroli essential oil tends to be more buoyant, fresh, bright, more woody florally than the absolute with a barely perceptible indolic presence and can be somewhat sharper than the more diffuse orange blossom absolute depending on the quality of the orange blossoms, the nature of the distillation process, and the expertise of the distiller.

The orange blossom notes one finds in today’s fragrances are aromachemical reconstitutions/interpretations of the orange blossom absolute that tend to deemphasize to a certain extent its indolic headiness. I tend to think of aromachemical orange blossom reconstitutions as sanitized orange blossom notes, because, more often than not, the characteristic fecal component of indole’s scent profile is down played. The characteristic diffusiveness of the absolute is still there, but the delightful orangey floral indolic fullness is somewhat attenuated as a result. To obtain this synthetic, less heady indolic orange blossom fragrance, compounds such as indole, pheny ethyl acetate, and aurantiol are reduced or removed. There are about a dozen of these different aroma chemical elements—mostly esters and alcohols—that can produce a wide spectrum of orange blossom absolute and also neroli effects depending on how they are modulated. Needless to say, that while these orange blossom absolute and neroli effects are somewhat congruent with the natural products which the seek to mimic, they do not entirely match the complex multivalent naturalness and complex floralcy of the orange blossom absolute and neroli essential oil. Think of them as two dimensional simulacra aromatics rather than the three dimensional nature specific aromatics they mimic.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 4th March 2009 at 09:24 PM.

What's the word? Toppie?

Very best, Scentemental.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Lorenzo Villoresi Dilmun

Top note
    Citrus, Rose, Jasmin, Orange blossom, Green Leaves and Neroli

Middle note
    Petitgrain, Neroli, Orange Blossom, Laurel, Opoponax, Incense

Base note
    Notes of Citrus, Floral extracts, Ele
    “love lasts a long time, but burning desire, two or three weeks.”