Code of Conduct

Default Grey Flannel, OMG WTF

So I read the great reviews on this fragrance and I saw it at my local marshalls, $14 for 4 oz so I decided I would try it out.

First thoughts when I put it on, OMG what the hell is this vile smell?

I seriously could not stand it, it was toooooo strong.

I went to the bathroom and washed it off asap

I decided to give it another shot the next day after I took a shower before I went to sleep.

Well I woke up in the middle of the night and I could not stop sniffing my wrists.

How did it go from such a vile smell to such a wonderful smell?

I could not believe it.

Default Re: Grey Flannel, OMG WTF

Sounds like you are a sandalwood lover. Some fragrances change a lot over time while others don't. It's as simple as that.

Freaks me out when this happens too. GF is such a wonderful weird one too. That violet is sharp and metal-like smelling to me. Sharp and metal and up the nose like some incredible spike.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

AromiErotici

Yea....very sharp opening with that violet, but the drydown is a lot nicer.

maybe I should try this out as well
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Well how long after you applied did you smell your wrists? the drydown sounds promising but that means i won't come into contact with others until the smell you describe emerges

AromiErotici

DustB gave a very accurate impression of spraying on GF.

Aaah Grey Flannel. Another convert!
    Everyone needs to try this. Not everyone will love it.
    My favourite. Always has been, always will. It's all about the violets and the oak moss.

From my experience, I'd have to say that it takes time to determine what works for you. For example, when I first got Bogart Pour Homme, I liked it. Then I tried Michael for Men and I thought it was similar but didn't last long at all. Now I can't stand the Bogart but think MfM is one of the best designer fragrances around these days. I came to appreciate the subtleties of MfM (particularly the way the patchouli works), as well as learning to not allow my sense of smell to be calibrated to the top notes. The first time I sampled GF, I actually liked the top notes but thought the drydown was weak and a bit irritating. Now I can't stand anything about GF. So, I suggest sampling a fragrance 4 times over a period of at least two months (spaced out fairly evenly), which you can do with 1-2 ml samples. In the meantime, sample others in the same way. Any other method will mean spending more money than you probably need to, as well as getting stuck with fragrances you don't want.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 3rd March 2009 at 04:23 AM.

Starts with a blinding herbacious flash, which disappears within minutes, only to tiptoe back and hang demurely around for the rest of the drydown. Then it's hours of of a haunting almond/sandalwood and a touch of soap, vaguely oily. I don't regret the purchase... $12.99 for a 4oz bottle at Maxx. But Grey Flannel does strike me as a bygone aroma, and just too rough for the first hour or more. When it finally becomes a faint skin scent it comes into its own.

Edit: I tried this again this morning… on a gut feeling I sprayed the merest wafty puff in the air through which I passed a bare arm. Quel difference! The tender almond/sandalwood came through immediately. Haunani is right: apply sparingly and you'll get a skin scent of exceptional quality.
    Last edited by frug; 5th March 2009 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    maybe I should try this out as well
    Yes, do! Some of the fellas recommended this to me and I love it. Advice: apply sparingly for best effect.

In my case, this scent, which I love more than life itself, first left, while not being unpleasant, at first a sweet, powdery and overpowering impression.

This one is still on my todo list.. and it will happen.. just asking when.
    unico grande amore.

GF Is well worth the effort getting to know. On balance the drydown pleasure outweighs the topnote pain. It is a little like being married, after a while you get used to the nagging and filter it out
    Last edited by Bartlebooth; 5th March 2009 at 09:54 AM.

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Freaks me out when this happens too. GF is such a wonderful weird one too. That violet is sharp and metal-like smelling to me. Sharp and metal and up the nose like some incredible spike.
    That is it exactly! For me, the drydown never comes - the spike just slowly fades away. I get something similar from Touch, too.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Blog Entries

Yeah I never made it past that first stage.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    It is a little like being married, after a while you get used to the nagging and filter it out

The opening IS very violet heavy -- very soapy and sharp. But you're right -- the sandalwood dry-down is pure heaven.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I have never tried this one, but for $14 I probably should

My usual recommendation is to spray it far from your nose. Grey Flannel has a fantastic sillage, but the top notes should not be smelled at skin level.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    GF Is well worth the effort getting to know. On balance the drydown pleasure outweighs the topnote pain. It is a little like being married, after a while you get used to the nagging and filter it out

brilliant. haha
    unico grande amore.