Code of Conduct

Thread: Tincturing

Default Tincturing

Has anyone here gone to the trouble of making their own EOs? Spring is coming and I'm thinking about giving it a try. Sounds like a lot of work, though.

Default Re: Tincturing

Do you want to distill actual oil of a particular plant? Or do you just want to capture the essence of spring flowers in alcohol via maceration? Neither are that difficult, but you will need a setup to distill.

Hi Aghora. I'm thinking of soaking the flowers in alcohol rather than distilling the oil from a plant. BTW, not sure what maceration is ...

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aromagal View Post
    not sure what maceration is ...
    I think it means "Cuisinart"-ing it.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Maceration, in chemistry and herbalism, the preparation of an extract by soaking material (such as animal skins or parts of fibrous plants) in water, vegetable oil or some organic solvent. The word may also refer to the same process when used to produce perfume stock.
    -Wiki

It's not that hard, no setup needed. You will just need a lot of flowers, so keep pickin!
    Last edited by Aghora; 4th March 2009 at 04:50 AM.

Thanks Aghora. I have made my own flower essences for many years from garden flowers, which is basically soaking the flowers in water and straining afterwards. The water smelled so wonderful I hated to add the brandy for preservative and wondered about saving the fragrant water somehow and using as a perfume. I've read books on it and just wondered here if anyone else had tried this.

Quote Originally Posted by aromagal View Post
    Has anyone here gone to the trouble of making their own EOs? Spring is coming and I'm thinking about giving it a try. Sounds like a lot of work, though.
    Essential oils are made via distillation.

Extracts are made via tincturing. I have many, many tinctures of aromatic plants from my garden, and also from purchased herbal materials I can't grow here. It is a rewarding process, and many of my tinctures reach scent saturation that rivals any concrete or absolute or essential oil. I use 190 proof undenatured alcohol.
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the website - http://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Natural_Juice View Post
    Essential oils are made via distillation.

Extracts are made via tincturing.

Thanks for the clarification.