Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1

    Default Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    I think I´m one the way to re-discover the good old 70´s classics - all those fantastic fragrances like: Azzaro pour Homme, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, Yatagan, Equipage, both Halstons, Z-14 and 1-12, Paco Rabanne pour Homme, Gentleman... and most recently: Devin.
    What a wonderful scent! Green, leathery, slightly animalic, with a nice smoky chypre base. I almost forgot how great these Aramis frags are and what a wonderful job Bernard Chant did!! The closely related Cabochard, Azurée and Aramis; the wonderful duo Aromatics Elixier and Aramis 900; and the twins Alliage and Devin. All of them created by Chant, a truly great artist!
    Don´t you think, those scents deserve more attention?! IMHO, they are definitely underrated!
    Last edited by sables; 3rd March 2009 at 05:27 PM.

  2. #2
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Yep, I wore Devin almost exclusively for most of the late 70s - early 80s.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Devin is my favorite Aramis fragrance although Aramis 900, Havana, JHL, Tuscany per Uomo and Aramis are not too far behind!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  4. #4
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    My Favorite Aramis Scent too.

    There is no other scent that features that blast of galbanum and green at the top notes so...skillfully. It's so affordable too. It needs more hype here on BN.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    argh
    another one added on the already too large 'need to sample list'
    thanks I guess
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

  6. #6

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sables View Post
    I think I´m one the way to re-discover the good old 70´s classics - all those fantastic fragrances like: Azzaro pour Homme, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, Yatagan, Equipage, both Halstons, Z-14 and 1-12, Paco Rabanne pour Homme, Gentleman... and most recently: Devin.
    What a wonderful scent! Green, leathery, slightly animalic, with a nice smoky chypre base. I almost forgot how great these Aramis frags are and what a wonderful job Bernard Chant did!! The closely related Cabochard, Azurée and Aramis; the wonderful duo Aromatics Elixier and Aramis 900; and the twins Alliage and Devin. All of them created by Chant, a truly great artist!
    Don´t you think, those scents deserve more attention?! IMHO, they are definitely underrated!
    I really am impressed about how this guy (Bernard Chant) could take a feminine fragrance and turn it into a masculine (or vice versa) staying true to the innitial idea. I have always admired Aromatics Elixir, which is unwearable by a man unfortunately. And through posts in this forum I discovered A900! Amazing.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    I have always admired Aromatics Elixir, which is unwearable by a man unfortunately. And through posts in this forum I discovered A900! Amazing.
    The same applies to Alliage and Devin. The former is wearable by men but defenitely has a rather feminine make-up, while the latter shows how little tweaking is required to edge a feminine into a masculine (and vice versa).

  8. #8
    vita odorifera
    perfaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    7,584
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Yup! A great. I am actually getting a bottle very soon to enhance my powerhouse collection.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

    #BBOG!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Not so green as 900, but not so leathery and "tough" as Aramis.
    I place it somewhere in the same ballpark as Polo Crest and Chevignon, only somewhat greener than either of those.

    Yup, it's a real sleeper, this one -- I really wish it would get more "play" here on the board.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th March 2009 at 04:49 PM.

    Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    *****
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

  10. #10

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    I was in a brick 'n morter perfume shop today -JUST LOOKING!- and I saw a box of Devin and JHL collecting dust on the shelf. I was sooo tempted, but payday isn't till the 15th...

  11. #11
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Well, I just went and got me a bottle, for nostalgia's sake, if nothing else. I remember Devin fondly from my teens, and I wonder what I'll think of it after some wear in, um, adulthood.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    I moved to NYC in the late 70's and Devin had a huge promotion with Bloomingdales - they gave away a green umbrella with a duck-head handle to everyone who bought a bottle of Devin. I still love Devin, but we all bathed in it for years. I prefer Alliage these days.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I moved to NYC in the late 70's and Devin had a huge promotion with Bloomingdales - they gave away a green umbrella with a duck-head handle to everyone who bought a bottle of Devin. I still love Devin, but we all bathed in it for years. I prefer Alliage these days.
    OMG, I totally forgot about that duck head handle umbrella. I had one too. Gift-with-purchases were really great, weren't they?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    I wore Devin for a brief spell around 1986. I was 18-19 years old. Nice memories when I smell the scent.

    First year of college. Living away from home for the first time. What a rollercoaster of emotions. Very exiciting time. But...I would not want to re-live it! It was grueling emotionally as well. Finding yourself as a young man is tricky stuff. I was blessed to start dating my wife at the tender age of 19 and we were married when I was 23. Still going strong!

    My scents from that time (in order of preference):

    1. Kouros
    2. Devin
    Oscar Pour Lui
    3. Polo
    4. Wild Oats (?)
    5. Quorum

    Holding back the years...

    The Joshua Tree by U2 was the big album. It's sweet that I just bought my 13 year old their new CD as his first.
    Last edited by ChuckW; 5th March 2009 at 04:06 PM.

  15. #15
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I wore Devin for a brief spell around 1986. I was 18-19 years old. Nice memories when I smell the scent.

    First year of college. Living away from home for the first time. What a rollercoaster of emotions. Very exiciting time. But...I would not want to re-live it! It was grueling emotionally as well. Finding yourself as a young man is tricky stuff. I was blessed to start dating my wife at the tender age of 19 and we were married when I was 23. Still going strong!

    My scents from that time (in order of preference):

    1. Kouros
    2. Devin
    Oscar Pour Lui
    3. Polo
    4. Wild Oats (?)
    5. Quorum

    Holding back the years...

    The Joshua Tree by U2 was the big album. It's sweet that I just bought my 13 year old their new CD as his first.
    Some fascinating biographical parallels here...

    By the way, I don't know if this thread has anything to do with it, but I noticed a few members, myself included, list Devin on the current "Today I Bought" thread.

  16. #16
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    I received a recently purchased used bottle of Devin today. Ahh...the memories that come floating into my head, the second I unscrewed the cap and inhaled. Fragrances from your youth, smelled as an adult, are like finding old photographs. The nostalgia just flows.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    due to this thread and MikeP"s past mentions of this fragrance, I sampled it the other day at the counter. It is quite good and I just might have to purchase a bottle someday. I think this type of green is better than the original polo.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  18. #18
    vita odorifera
    perfaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    7,584
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    I have since bought a bottle of Devin and must say i am very glad to be reunited with one of the good things of my past. A great way to move forward.

    Aramis Devin is truly underrated.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

    #BBOG!

  19. #19
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/1zgdDl
    Posts
    3,584

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    ...4. Wild Oats (?)
    5. Quorum...
    You mean there was a scent named WIld QUAKER Oats??? Wow!!!

    BTW, tried Cabochard and found it ws a a lighter version of Aramis, so I bought it right onthe spot and now love it..

    Still, I can't get Devin nor Aramis 900 because they are not distributed locally: yet another two on my wishlist.

  20. #20
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    due to this thread and MikeP"s past mentions of this fragrance, I sampled it the other day at the counter. It is quite good and I just might have to purchase a bottle someday. I think this type of green is better than the original polo.
    I understand what you mean. I think it's because I'm such a fan of galbanum. Most women's fragrances that are galbanum prominent I like also. It's got loads of the stuff in Devin.

    Whereas Polo relies on more of the pine note.

    Same 'category', but two entirely different experiences.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd April 2009 at 08:58 PM.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sables View Post
    I think I´m one the way to re-discover the good old 70´s classics - all those fantastic fragrances like: Azzaro pour Homme, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, Yatagan, Equipage, both Halstons, Z-14 and 1-12, Paco Rabanne pour Homme, Gentleman... and most recently: Devin.
    I need to try Devin.

    Although it missed the 1970s by 2 years, you ought to give the original Calvin a sniff. It's excellent.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    I now own Devin for the first time since 1986. Wearing it today and it's a still a charmer. Warm, sweet and green at the same time. I bought half-full bottles of this and JHL (in the new packaging) off ebay for a combined total of $31, including shipping.

    JHL is a powerhouse. I'd better stick to 1 spray of that bad boy. I went with 4 on Devin today...hope I'm not choking anyone!

  23. #23
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    It's a nice scent to reminisce to, I agree ChuckW. All I have to do is take the cap off and inhale and I am instantly transported to when I was a teenager at the mall, at the Aramis counter, looking at the glass cabinets full of bottles, the after shaves, deodorants, the hair gels (does anyone remember Aramis scented hair gel - OMG so 80's!), and those awesome gift-with-purchase umbrellas that you would get if you bought something. Nice memories...
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  24. #24

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    I like this herbal bitter green scent from the old school of fragrances. They do not make them like this any more.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It's a nice scent to reminisce to, I agree ChuckW. All I have to do is take the cap off and inhale and I am instantly transported to when I was a teenager at the mall, at the Aramis counter, looking at the glass cabinets full of bottles, the after shaves, deodorants, the hair gels (does anyone remember Aramis scented hair gel - OMG so 80's!), and those awesome gift-with-purchase umbrellas that you would get if you bought something. Nice memories...
    Yes! I was also captivated by the awesome line of Aramis products. Talk about full-service! The Aramis AS Balm smelled better than Aramis itself (white liquid w/gold cap). I also remember being totally smitten when i first inhaled KL Homme by Lagerfeld at a downtown department store in Huntington, WV when I was around 19. At 19, I was easily smitten...but I'm still a sucker for great smelling things! New West with the rock/crystal deodorant...those are great memories! I wish I had photographs of the classic cologne counters from those great stores of the 80's. And I wish so many of those scents were still available.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    One Christmas my dad recieved Devin as a gift. He immediately gave it to me and that became my first real scent I wore for a long time. It was probably 1979. I would not buy anouther scent until 1983 when an SA talked me into buying Halston (not sure which one) and Gray Flannel.

    Strangely enough I neve replace the Devin once it ran out. The beauty of Devin came out about 30 minutes after application and then it just rocked. My bottle was a splash, so it was most likely the after shave. I need to replace this gem in my collection.

    Like you guys have said, it brings back some really great memories.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

    1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

  27. #27

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    I was actually able to do a google search and found a photo of the department store I mentioned. It is closed, but the name of the store is still on the front of the bulding and it still looks the same, although vacant. Very sweet memories. Glad I searched it.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    I believe it was Bryant Gumble who wears this stuff and was complimented on it when he made an appearance on GMA! Its gotta be good!

  29. #29
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I was actually able to do a google search and found a photo of the department store I mentioned. It is closed, but the name of the store is still on the front of the bulding and it still looks the same, although vacant. Very sweet memories. Glad I searched it.
    Sort of 'where it all began', huh ChuckW? Awesome!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  30. #30

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sort of 'where it all began', huh ChuckW? Awesome!
    Yes, and a little more detective work found a pic that a lady took recently that was up against the glass door with the lights on! The place was cleaned out, but I could see through the empty store to the back wall where that lovely cologne counter once stood! Awesome. Of course in my fantasies, I would be able to go there today, and gain access for a walk-through, and stumble upon a cardboard box left behind after the closing many years ago. What could be inside? Near full tester bottles of KL Homme, Patou Pour Homme, Monogram by RL, Escada Casual Friday and vintage bottles of Georgio VIP, Polo, and Kouros for good measure! A guy can dream, right?

  31. #31

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sort of 'where it all began', huh ChuckW? Awesome!
    It's in the "neshachan" photostream on flickr. "Stone and Thomas" department store. This is the picture looking through the glass entrance back through the empty store. It's actually in very good shape! What boxes could be laying long forgotten in some back storage room?

  32. #32

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    I'm another wearer from the late 70's and early 80's. I think it's more suited to me now that I'm in my middle years.

    Aramis is, in my opinion, a terrific house and you can hardly complain at the prices, either.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    I'm very cuorious to try Devin, and also Aramis 900 but they are not available here.. Can you please tell me a bit more about these scents?
    I like Antaeus, Aramis, Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, Davidoff Zino and Cartier Santos. Will I like Devin and 900?

  34. #34

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I'm very cuorious to try Devin, and also Aramis 900 but they are not available here.. Can you please tell me a bit more about these scents?
    I like Antaeus, Aramis, Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, Davidoff Zino and Cartier Santos. Will I like Devin and 900?
    I enjoy all of the ones you've mentioned but found vintage Devin, whilst not bad, just a little dull and joyless. Sold mine in the end.

  35. #35
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    83,720

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Probably of all the scents that came out of this house, this was the one I found the most pleasant after having tried it.
    (1735)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  36. #36

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    I have a gym partner that lovesss this Devin by Aramis, when we talk about fragrances it seems he always sneaks it unto conversation and raves so much about Devin, Devin this and Devin that: will have to try it someday but to think about , why is he never wearing it there, so I can sniff on him ...I will try to remember to ask him , next time I see Him.....and this stuff is readily available at reasonable price ....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

  37. #37

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I'm very cuorious to try Devin, and also Aramis 900 but they are not available here.. Can you please tell me a bit more about these scents?
    I like Antaeus, Aramis, Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, Davidoff Zino and Cartier Santos. Will I like Devin and 900?
    If you can imagine a greener Halston Z-14, you're getting close. Wore Devin yesterday for the first time in a long time and it smelled wonderful! 900 is a completely different beast.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

    Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait


    My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

    http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

  38. #38

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    If you can imagine a greener Halston Z-14, you're getting close. Wore Devin yesterday for the first time in a long time and it smelled wonderful! 900 is a completely different beast.
    I haven't tried that one, but I own Italian Cypress.

  39. #39

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Will you consider Devin as a typical "powerhouse" ?

  40. #40

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    I have just found a BNIB bottle of It from its previous bottle design with a green box! 60$.
    I am now deciding to buy it!
    My all time favorite:

    Dior Fahrenheit

  41. #41

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Having wore all the Aramis fragrances in the 70's and 80's this was a big hit with me and my future wife at that time. Devin, 900, 900 herbal and original Aramis. I still have a little 900 the original and it is shockingly potent.

  42. #42

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Having wore all the Aramis fragrances in the 70's and 80's this was a big hit with me and my future wife at that time. Devin, 900, 900 herbal and original Aramis. I still have a little 900 the original and it is shockingly potent.
    How is Aramis 900 compared to Davidoff Zino?

  43. #43

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    How is Aramis 900 compared to Davidoff Zino?
    Sadly, I am not familiar with Zino. But I can tell you Aramis 900 packs a punch with near unrivaled longevity the batch I have is from the mid eighties and I have used it off & on since that time when I want something with an exclamation point. Woody, citrusy in the opening then Rose & carnation take the floor then the dry down encompasses many notes and depends on the whiff you may get. Rosewood, amber, vetiver you name it.

  44. #44

    Default Re: Aramis Devin - WOW!!

    Still love it!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Similar Threads

  1. Aramis Devin
    By Ender in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28th January 2008, 06:14 PM
  2. Aramis 900 - wow wow wow !!!!
    By Mic in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 28th November 2007, 01:37 AM
  3. Aramis Devin
    By knightowl in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15th July 2006, 03:47 PM
  4. Update on Aramis Always
    By breeze11 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11th March 2006, 12:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000