Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1

    Default Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    last year, when i was a fragrance newbie, i tried kouros and thought it was the most disgusting fragrance because of the urine note.

    i tried it again today out of curiosity at Perfumania. between my first trying of kouros and today's sample, i've sampled at least 300 fragrances since then, mostly niche.

    well, today when i tried kouros, i enjoyed it and definitely appreciated it. yes the urine note is there but this time i don't care. kouros comes across as complex and somewhat indescribable. there is really nothing like it out there.

    kouros fans', please forgive me for my past badmouthing of this fragrance. i bow before you.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    I haven't had Kouros since (I guess) the early 90s. I liked it then and wouldn't mind revisiting but don't need a full bottle so a shame that it doesn't seem to come in a miniature - or am I wrong?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    Quote Originally Posted by egrorian View Post
    I haven't had Kouros since (I guess) the early 90s. I liked it then and wouldn't mind revisiting but don't need a full bottle so a shame that it doesn't seem to come in a miniature - or am I wrong?
    You can get a decant at the perfumed court.

    Glad to see another convert (of sorts). Now you just have to call it a civet note instead of urine.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    haha
    Yes another victim has fallen to the Kouros!!
    join the bus
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

  5. #5

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    I have a love hate relationship with this fragrance. I love smelling it on other people. Other people love smelling it on me. But for some reason I can barely stand wearing it. Although when I catch my sillage trail, I love how it smells, but when I put my nose to my skin, it just irks me.

    Anybody have any suggestions to help my situation?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    Quote Originally Posted by mcjra View Post
    I have a love hate relationship with this fragrance. I love smelling it on other people. Other people love smelling it on me. But for some reason I can barely stand wearing it. Although when I catch my sillage trail, I love how it smells, but when I put my nose to my skin, it just irks me.

    Anybody have any suggestions to help my situation?
    Wear it on your chest, and you can't smell your skin directly; you get only what wafts through the fabric. Apply one spray and let dry before dressing.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    Quote Originally Posted by union1411 View Post
    yes the urine note is there but this time i don't care.
    This is a very interesting comment. I'd like people to read it more carefully.

    There is a time when you as a person realize that the fragrance is all about you. You you you! Don't let someone else tell you it's terrible or it's good. It's up to you!

    I like Kouros and I'm in the Kouros bus with all of you and I'm here by choice!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Wear it on your chest, and you can't smell your skin directly; you get only what wafts through the fabric. Apply one spray and let dry before dressing.
    I second this.

    Also, I always recommend the Tattoo Collector edition of Kouros to those who want the spirit of Kouros in a cleaner, more modern form. The Fraicheur, Eau D'Ete, and Cologne Sport flankers of Kouros are all very good-- but they're still kind of funky in their own uncompromising way. The Tattoo (and the Energizing Tonique version-- I think is the same juice) doesn't extend from the tree of these other flankers, but goes back to the original Kouros for its roots. It takes away much of the civet and phenolic "read: urine" notes, and gives it a crisp fresh calone lift-- though it's never going to be mistaken for Acqua di Gio. Of all the versions of Kouros that I own, Tattoo is the one that I feel most confident in. If you see the beauty of Kouros, but want something a little more "street legal", check this one out.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    I remember Kouros from my uncle having it when I was younger, There are only 10 years between us. However I decided to be brave and tried a spray of this last time I was frag shopping. There is a certain quality that Kouros has and the only way I can describe it is...... it does for your nose what a square 9v battery does for your tongue. Come on we all did it when we were younger. Well I did and kouros does the equivalent for my nose. I know this sounds silly but its theonly way I can describe the "zing" I get in Kouros.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    Quote Originally Posted by egrorian View Post
    I haven't had Kouros since (I guess) the early 90s. I liked it then and wouldn't mind revisiting but don't need a full bottle so a shame that it doesn't seem to come in a miniature - or am I wrong?
    It does indeed come in a mini. I bought one when I first started my fragrance journey a couple of years ago. I purchased it online but can't remember which company I bought it from. If you look long enough, I'm sure you'll be able to find it somewhere. Cute little version of the full-sized bottle.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

  11. #11

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I second this.

    Also, I always recommend the Tattoo Collector edition of Kouros to those who want the spirit of Kouros in a cleaner, more modern form. The Fraicheur, Eau D'Ete, and Cologne Sport flankers of Kouros are all very good-- but they're still kind of funky in their own uncompromising way. The Tattoo (and the Energizing Tonique version-- I think is the same juice) doesn't extend from the tree of these other flankers, but goes back to the original Kouros for its roots. It takes away much of the civet and phenolic "read: urine" notes, and gives it a crisp fresh calone lift-- though it's never going to be mistaken for Acqua di Gio. Of all the versions of Kouros that I own, Tattoo is the one that I feel most confident in. If you see the beauty of Kouros, but want something a little more "street legal", check this one out.
    Word... +1 here for endorsing the Tattoo edition as more "user friendly" but loyal to the original concept.

  12. #12

  13. #13

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    hey gupts, from what I know the energizing tonique is the same as the tattoo edition

  14. #14

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    hey gupts, from what I know the energizing tonique is the same as the tattoo edition
    I thought so too.....just needed an 'affirmation'....Thanks mate

  15. #15

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    It had me at "the urine note". Seriously(but in good humor) can we not call it that? Plenty of other frags have civet or similar ingredients and we don't say they have a urine note. I always liked the stuff, so I never had the excitement of coming around to Kouros. Congratulations on your more sophisticated nose. I had a similar turn around with Hammam Bouquet, so I can appreciate the revelation. Sniff on.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    I love Kouros. the bold, the civet, the never ending lingers, drydown. Yesterday, had my car pushed to the parking lot because it crashed. People gathered to see if they can help me. One men, told me that I shouldn't be panic, take a deep breath and relax. And he came with this line:

    "well, you smell sweaty and pee-like (pipis-in Indonesian). Please use this clean shirt..." (he gave me a mint-clean t-shirt after pointing the pee smell on me).

    Me: "ah, thx Sir, it's just civet not a pee. It suppose to smell just like that." (and I spray it more as having a Kouros water bath)

    I think, I shouldn't tell his reaction afterall...

  17. #17

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    i posted not long ago about molton brown moisturizing body bar which you can obtain at www.groominglounge.com which smells very much like kouros in my opinion!
    Current Top 5:

    Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

  18. #18

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    Booooooooooooo!!!! Kouros sucks!!!!!!

  19. #19

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    I find Kouros very addictive. I want to wear it every day. I need to get this out of my system.

    Must have Kouros!
    Last edited by JonB; 4th March 2009 at 11:53 PM.

  20. #20
    Heartwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    2,310
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    Quote Originally Posted by mcjra View Post
    I have a love hate relationship with this fragrance. I love smelling it on other people. Other people love smelling it on me. But for some reason I can barely stand wearing it. Although when I catch my sillage trail, I love how it smells, but when I put my nose to my skin, it just irks me.

    Anybody have any suggestions to help my situation?
    Try to avoid putting your nose to your skin.

    Seriously, there are scents that I can't seem to pick up much at all, or smell different (and usually not for the better) with nose to skin. Yet I catch them in the air around me here and there throughout the day and it's delightful. I actually love this quirky aspect of some fragrances.

    Union-- Glad you're a joiner. Welcome to the Legion of Korous.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

  21. #21

    Default Re: Kouros: a revisit after a few months

    A must for any serious Kouros lover...

    http://www.modelspot.co.za/component...d,26/vmcchk,1/
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Similar Threads

  1. Body Kouros
    By blacklibran1 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 22nd November 2008, 12:57 PM
  2. Just got Kouros Tattoo...
    By Indie_Guy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 22nd March 2008, 08:26 PM
  3. body kouros...how different is it from kouros
    By jdnba in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28th September 2007, 03:38 AM
  4. Kouros Questions
    By marcuccio88 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11th May 2007, 07:30 AM
  5. Why does Kouros = Aramis 1965 to me?
    By schatz32 in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15th May 2006, 10:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •