Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    Question Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    So, following DerangedGoose, I too am interested in getting into niche fragrances and am wondering what everyone might suggest given my tastes in designer frags.

    Some of my favorites include:

    John Varvatos (original one AND vintage)
    Spark by Liz Claiborne
    Body Kouros by YSL
    Jaipur Homme by Boucheron
    Opium Pour Homme by YSL
    Desire (Red) by Dunhill
    The Dreamer by Versace
    Guerlain Vetiver

    Ones I also like, but am a timid to admit...
    L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme by Issey Miyake
    Acqua di Gio
    Le Male

    Any Ideas on different niches that might match with some of my tastes or are similar to any of the above? thanks...much appreciated!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    I left our another one of my favorite designer frags: Terre d'Hermes. Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    It's really hard to tell from a look at a list of scents which one or several could please the same nose. And it makes the stakes high for anyone answering--he/she can be at fault for offering an idea that ends up being repugnant.

    That said, I want to take a shot and say the vetivers and aquatics that you like, the mineraly elements as well (TdH), and some hints of the sweetness in others, as well as an open, summery sort of look to a lot of the scents you have, make me say go somewhere and smell L'Artisan Parfumeur's Timbuktu. You might hate it! Don't forget that--I've got no idea what smells that you haven't smelled will please your nose.

    MPG's Racine is another, a very sunny citrusy vetiver.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  4. #4

    Question Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrance tastes?

    So I posted this also in the on the men's board but am interested in getting as many suggestions as I can and from women as well. I am interested in starting out in niche fragrances and am wondering what everyone might suggest given my tastes in designer frags.

    Some of my favorites include:

    John Varvatos (original one AND vintage)
    Spark by Liz Claiborne
    Terre d'Hermes
    Jaipur Homme by Boucheron
    Opium Pour Homme by YSL
    Rive Gauche by YSL
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Body Kouros by YSL
    Desire (Red) by Dunhill
    The Dreamer by Versace
    Safari by RL


    Ones that I am a bit timid to admit that I also like:

    L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme by Issey Miyake
    Acqua di Gio
    Le Male
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin

    I have read a lot of reviews here on BN and I am particularly interested in sampling the following niche fragrances:

    Dzongkha by L’Artisan Parfumeur
    Mechant Loup by L’Artisan Parfumeur
    Dia for Men by Amouage
    Jubilation XXV by Amouage
    L’Homme Sage by Divine
    Parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garcons
    Idole de Lubin by Lubin
    Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Millesime Imperial by Creed
    Himalaya by Creed
    Silver Mountain Water by Creed
    Erolfa by Creed
    Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle


    Any Ideas on which of these or other niches that might match with some of my tastes or are similar to any of the above? thanks...much appreciated!

  5. #5
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    I'll take a different tack than DustB, with the following caveat: sample before you buy.

    The common thread I see here is oriental and woody oriental scents. (Jaïpur, Opium, The Dreamer, Body Kouros.) Along those lines, I'd suggest sampling some scents from the Serge Lutens and Parfumerie Generale lines, both of which excel at this type of fragrance.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    If you like John Varvatos and want to to try something boozier try Lubin's Idole. Made by Olivia Giacobetti it is a stunner and my next full bottle. DustB's disclaimer about take all care but no responsibility applies here too

  7. #7

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    It seems that you like spicy orientals so Ambra Tibet by Ava Luxe, Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums, Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens and Ambre Precieux by MPG might be worth checking out.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

  8. #8

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    Hi aechols! Well, I don't know about matching your exact preferences but if you are interested in sampling, try getting a hold of some samples of the following... at least this way you'll be in the know when a lot of these popular niche fragrances come up in threads. You'll be sure to find some you love! (ok, so these are some of my favorites too )

    Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan, Chergui, Arabie
    Le Labo: Rose 31, Patchouli 24
    Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle: French Lover, Musc Ravageur, Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Montale: Black Aoud, Patchouli Patch, Blue Amber
    Tauer Perfumes: L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Creed: Millesimme Imperial, Silver Mountain Water
    By Kilian: Straight to Heaven
    Comme des Garcons: 2 MAN

    for fresh aquatics, it's my opinion that there's no need to delve into niche fragrances.
    the fact that you like The Dreamer makes me think you might like some iris fragrances but I'm not very well versed in niche iris offerings. Others here would be better at helping you out with that. Good luck!
    Last edited by nthny; 4th March 2009 at 02:13 AM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrance tastes?

    This is a very hard question. You've done some research, you now must get sniffing. Seek out samples of what you want to try, either through swapping or purchasing them. Start there, then see where your nose (and pocket, these days) leads you.

    Have fun

  10. #10

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    Always hard to divine what it is you like out of each scent but I have sense that Vibert is on the right track with Serge Lutens. I'd love to say try Penhaligon's, but Serge Lutens as a whole strikes me as a better fit from a completely parapsychological perspective.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    If you are interested in iris scents then Bois d'Iris by The Different Company might please you. Light, ethereal and transparent but very beautiful.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

  12. #12

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    I think The Perfumed Court has an introductory niche sampler pack...may be worth a try!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    Thanks for the suggestions everyone...very helpful and much appreciated. After looking at the reviews for some of your suggestions I think I will try to sample Ambre Sultan by SL , Ambre Précieux by MPG and Idole de Lubin. Blue Amber by Montale, Chergui by SL and L’Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer also seem like possibilties that I may sample. I was planning on ordering decant samples from theperfumedcourt.com and then deciding on which to buy a bottle of. Can anyone tell me where the best places to purchase these niche fragrances are? Places in Los Angeles?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    You might want to first dive into Creed as they are much easier to obtain and cheaper
    then move up to the others
    thats just my tip
    goodluck!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

  15. #15

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrance tastes?

    You and I seem to have similar taste. Take a look at my wardrobe.

    I think you will really enjoy the frags that you have listed, and I will add:

    Ambre Sultan
    Hinoki
    New York -Parfumes de Nicolia
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    No. 88

  16. #16

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    If you are in LA you should definitely go to the Scent Bar. They carry all of the frags that you are interested in and the SA will be able to give you more recommendations based on what you smell in-store. They may also make free samples of some of your favorites for you as well.

    Scent Bar
    8327 Beverly Blvd (map it)
    Los Angeles CA 90048
    323 782 8300

    PS: Creed produces some very nice fragrances but in many cases are more expensive than the fragrances you have decided to test, not cheaper like another BN mentioned.

    For example:

    MPG Ambre Precieux = 3.3oz (90mL) for $112, or $1.24 per mL
    Blue Amber = 100mL for $175 (but much cheaper if you buy directly from Montale in Paris ~$120) or $1.75 per mL
    Idole 2.5oz for $89 or $1.19 per mL
    SL Ambre Sultan = 1.69oz (50mL) for $120 or $2.40 per mL
    SL Chergui = 1.69oz for $140 or $2.80 per mL
    Creed Santal Imperial (one of the less expensive Creeds) = 2.5oz (75mL) for $140 or $1.87 per mL
    Creed Green Irish Tweed 2.5oz for $210 or $2.80 per mL

    All prices from Aedes.com except Blue Amber which is from Luckyscent
    Last edited by surreality; 4th March 2009 at 04:01 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

  17. #17

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas (formerly Boston)
    Posts
    3,089

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    Another 'easy' route to exploring niche (besides Asha's recommendation above) is to check out L'Artisan. You can order 5 samples for $7 shipping via their website. It's a good house with solid fragrances that aren't as 'challenging' as some houses can be. For $14 you'll get 10 samples and that's a pretty good, inexpensive start. Bond No.9 used to have a similar deal but it's now only available with purchase. Bummer.

    In addition to theperfumedcourt, Aedes does 7 samples for $15 and lusciouscargo does 8 samples for $21. Rats to beautyhabit for canceling their sample program.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Hi aechols! Well, I don't know about matching your exact preferences but if you are interested in sampling, try getting a hold of some samples of the following... at least this way you'll be in the know when a lot of these popular niche fragrances come up in threads. You'll be sure to find some you love! (ok, so these are some of my favorites too )

    Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan, Chergui, Arabie
    Le Labo: Rose 31, Patchouli 24
    Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle: French Lover, Musc Ravageur, Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Montale: Black Aoud, Patchouli Patch, Blue Amber
    Tauer Perfumes: L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Creed: Millesimme Imperial, Silver Mountain Water
    By Kilian: Straight to Heaven
    Comme des Garcons: 2 MAN

    for fresh aquatics, it's my opinion that there's no need to delve into niche fragrances.
    the fact that you like The Dreamer makes me think you might like some iris fragrances but I'm not very well versed in niche iris offerings. Others here would be better at helping you out with that. Good luck!

    Good suggestions!

    May I add (for iris scents): Serge Lutens Silver Iris Mist, The Different Company's Bois d'Iris, and Divine's L'Homme de Coeur.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    Does anyone have a suggestion on which of the Creed fragrances I should sample given my designer frag tastes? Thanks.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrance tastes?

    Does anyone have suggestions of what Creed fragrances I should sample given my designer frag tastes? Thanks!

  21. #21

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrance tastes?

    Quote Originally Posted by aechols View Post
    So I posted this also in the on the men's board but am interested in getting as many suggestions as I can and from women as well. I am interested in starting out in niche fragrances and am wondering what everyone might suggest given my tastes in designer frags.

    Some of my favorites include:

    John Varvatos (original one AND vintage)
    Spark by Liz Claiborne
    Terre d'Hermes
    Jaipur Homme by Boucheron
    Opium Pour Homme by YSL
    Rive Gauche by YSL
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Body Kouros by YSL
    Desire (Red) by Dunhill
    The Dreamer by Versace
    Safari by RL


    Ones that I am a bit timid to admit that I also like:

    L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme by Issey Miyake
    Acqua di Gio
    Le Male
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin

    I have read a lot of reviews here on BN and I am particularly interested in sampling the following niche fragrances:

    Dzongkha by L’Artisan Parfumeur
    Mechant Loup by L’Artisan Parfumeur
    Dia for Men by Amouage
    Jubilation XXV by Amouage
    L’Homme Sage by Divine
    Parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garcons
    Idole de Lubin by Lubin
    Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Millesime Imperial by Creed
    Himalaya by Creed
    Silver Mountain Water by Creed
    Erolfa by Creed
    Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle


    Any Ideas on which of these or other niches that might match with some of my tastes or are similar to any of the above? thanks...much appreciated!
    Your list of fragrances to test is wonderful. Start there. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them!

  22. #22

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    Quote Originally Posted by aechols View Post
    Does anyone have a suggestion on which of the Creed fragrances I should sample given my designer frag tastes? Thanks.
    There's a long history of new members asking this question. The answer is really just go smell all the ones you can. THere aren't 500, there are a manageable number. In LA you'll be able to find them.

    Just go smell them--we have no way of knowing which ones you might like better than others based on the sample list you make.

    I'm sorry not to be able to say it's as simple as X will be best for you, but the truth is smelling them will be best for you.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  23. #23


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,359

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    Quote Originally Posted by aechols View Post
    So, following DerangedGoose, I too am interested in getting into niche fragrances and am wondering what everyone might suggest given my tastes in designer frags.

    Some of my favorites include:

    John Varvatos (original one AND vintage)
    Spark by Liz Claiborne
    Body Kouros by YSL
    Jaipur Homme by Boucheron
    Opium Pour Homme by YSL
    Desire (Red) by Dunhill
    The Dreamer by Versace
    Guerlain Vetiver

    Ones I also like, but am a timid to admit...
    L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme by Issey Miyake
    Acqua di Gio
    Le Male

    Any Ideas on different niches that might match with some of my tastes or are similar to any of the above? thanks...much appreciated!
    If you are in Los Angeles, as am I, I suggest that you check out Scentbar (luckyscent.com) immediately. The SA's there, Ashley and Andrea, are super nice, very knowledgeable, and do not ever press you to buy. In fact, I was going to make a blind buy once and Ashley actually encouraged me to try a sample and come back next week to buy if it worked well with my skin.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 4th March 2009 at 10:32 PM.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Which Niches to Try Based on My Designer Fragrances?

    I merged two threads by Aechols into this one. That should explain any confusion.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Similar Threads

  1. diminished interest in designer scents....
    By everso in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 5th March 2009, 06:24 PM
  2. Best (designer) fragrances marketed as unisex
    By tinfoiled in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 1st August 2008, 05:59 AM
  3. Fragrances I would Like to Try on my London visit!
    By LeeScot in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 17th February 2008, 05:29 PM
  4. Are niche fragrances always more expensive than designer?
    By syracusa in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 26th January 2007, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000