Code of Conduct

Default Sweet Orange Essence + Old Spice?

I recently fell in love with some Sweet Orange Essential Oil that I found at my parents house, and seriously considered wearing it as a frag, until I heard that most people dilute them and what not. This is dissapointing, since I really love the smell of oranges.

Anyway, I have a bottle of Old Spice laying around that I never use since I don't care for it all that much, and thought that a few drops of Sweet Orange might liven it up and create a spicy orange Frankenstein cologne.

Is this idea even feasible, or have I lost it? In my head it seems like a great idea, but I thought I'd get some opinions from the experts.

Thanks!

Default Re: Sweet Orange Essence + Old Spice?

Actually, Adama, you can take that orange EO and dilute it with alcohol or oil (there are many, but fractionated coconut oil and jojoba oil - a wax, really - are popular with perfume makers) and wear it as is. Be aware that it may smell different diluted. The typical dilution is one part EO to three parts carrier oil/alcohol. So, 25/75. Good luck and let us know how you like your creation!

Sweet orange EO always smelled too much like food to me. Bitter Orange EO has more orange and less food smell to it.

Blog Entries

I don't know if the oil would cause skin problems if applied directly. Check the label.

A way to check the combined smell without mixing the oil & the Old Spice would be to put some Old Spice on your wrist, then a drop of oil. If you like the combination better than the EO alone, go ahead and add a few drops at a time until you get whaty you like. Or if you prefer the orange alone, dilute as Aromagal suggested.

Have fun!

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm going to try it out tomorrow, hopefully it will turn out well. I'll report back in either case!

I believe many things from the citrus/orange family - the oils may be phototoxic. Check with the seller/manufacturer first before experimenting directly on skin.

Well, it took a few tries, but I think I actually came up with something half decent.

The smell is still recognizable as Old Spice, however there is certainly a strong orange presence. It's dominated by pepper, with the orange as an undertone- a dry orange, like old peels, however there is still a slightly fresh kick towards the tail end of the scent.

Nothing complicated, however I think it's really added to the OS, which will hopefully get more use now instead of just sitting in the dark corner of my scent drawer! Thanks for the help, guys!