Code of Conduct

Default Egoiste By Chanel or Dior Homme By Dior

Which you prefer?

Default Re: Egoiste By Chanel or Dior Homme By Dior

I would prefer you opening one thread, and asking ALL of your questions in that thread. Would that be possible?
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 5th March 2009 at 12:14 AM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Wow, you're talking apples to oranges! I really like each in their own right. I think you'll probably get a big split of opinions here, but my own personal favorite of the two is Dior Homme. I really regret selling my bottle.

Oh and, I love both. If I really-really had to choose, then Dior Homme, because it really doesn't have anything alike.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I just washed my hands.

I sprayed Dior Homme on the back of my right hand.

Egoiste on the other.

The top notes from both nearly gave me a nosegasm.

I will edit this in ten minutes as they both settle down.

10 MINUTE EDIT: Ok so both fragrances are drying down. The Dior Homme is really not evolving much at all, Egoiste has gone from a rather austere and unwelcoming phase into really strutting its stuff as it unfolds. To be honest I don't think it's a fair fight, they are both very different. For complexity I'd go with Egoiste which is like a butterfly emerging from its chrysalis, for seduction and sheer gorgeousness it would be Dior Homme. Dior Homme however flattens out the longer time goes on, Egoiste doesn't it develops a projecting aura as well as a deeply powdery vanillic core at skin level.

Stay tuned.

20 MINUTE EDIT: Dior Homme has barely changed since the top notes went. It still is a dry but warm seducer and bra loosener, it smells damned sexy actually. Egoiste is the more understated of the two, yet smells more like a crafted perfume than Dior Homme does, it just smells more refined as though it doesn't have to be as flashy as Dior Homme to actually remove the bra that Dior Homme loosened. As I sit here typing, it's Egoiste that I can smell more of (both frags were give equal spritzes). Both are beautiful in their own right - but the Chanel smells like it was created by a master perfumier.

If I'm still up, I'll do another update in 10 minutes...

30 MINUTE EDIT: Ok so now the work of the perfumier really has started to come into play. Dior Homme really hasn't changed at all. The Iris notes are still there, but not quite as dry as they were. It still smells lovely as a darkly sweet leather note is coming to the fore. Egoiste on the other hand is now beautiful. How this beautiful swan came from such a relatively ugly duckling which was quite overshadowed by Dior Homme is a work of genius. What I have now is a beautiful balance of three key notes: Sandalwood, rose and vanilla, each distinct and identifiable.

Conclusion:

In terms of sheer artistry Egoiste wins hands down. It is a majestic and beautifully crafted fragrance.

But...

Dior Homme as the Iris note fades becomes a well rounded warm and seductive fragrance, still retaining the delicate beauty of iris but without the dryness.

In short, they are both great fragrances, I have them both and wear them both often. But overall this was an uneven competition, simply because they are two very different fragrances.

The HDS award goes to...

.... Egoiste.

For sheer beauty in the perfumiers art.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 5th March 2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Exciting live broadcast...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Egoiste smells like strong mosquito repellent to me, so the decision would be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I just washed my hands.

Egoiste on the other.

10 MINUTE EDIT: Ok so both fragrances are drying down. The Dior Homme is really not evolving much at all, Egoiste has gone from a rather austere and unwelcoming phase into really strutting its stuff as it unfolds. To be honest I don't think it's a fair fight, they are both very different. For complexity I'd go with Egoiste which is like a butterfly emerging from its chrysalis, for seduction and sheer gorgeousness it would be Dior Homme. Dior Homme however flattens out the longer time goes on, Egoiste doesn't it develops a projecting aura as well as a deeply powdery vanillic core at skin level.

Stay tuned.

WoW !! very good !!!!
    Last edited by Paco Sweet; 5th March 2009 at 01:01 AM.

completely different frags...but i prefer egoiste...i love it and everyone around me loves it...i walked through a doctors office the other day to meet with a doctor who is a client of mine and both she and her nurse commented several times on what smelled so good!

Dior is good i a completely different way...i find egoiste is the attention getter and dior is the closer i.e i would wear egoiste to grab a girls attention and once i had it, i would close the deal with dior....on different occasions obviously
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Both.

They are both worthy of the term 'masterpiece' and have drydowns to DIE for. It may interest you that Egoiste was created by Jacques Polge, and Dior Homme was created by his son, Olivier Polge. They don't have much in common besides that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Both.

They are both worthy of the term 'masterpiece' and have drydowns to DIE for. It may interest you that Egoiste was created by Jacques Polge, and Dior Homme was created by his son, Olivier Polge. They don't have much in common besides that.
    Yes, father and son !!

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I just washed my hands.

Egoiste on the other.

Stay tuned.

20 MINUTE EDIT: Dior Homme has barely changed since the top notes went. It still is a dry but warm seducer and bra loosener, it smells damned sexy actually. Egoiste is the more understated of the two, yet smells more like a crafted perfume than Dior Homme does, it just smells more refined as though it doesn't have to be as flashy as Dior Homme to actually remove the bra that Dior Homme loosened. As I sit here typing, it's Egoiste that I can smell more of (both frags were give equal spritzes). Both are beautiful in their own right - but the Chanel smells like it was created by a master perfumier.

If I'm still up, I'll do another update in 10 minutes...

30 MINUTE EDIT: Ok so now the work of the perfumier really has started to come into play. Dior Homme really hasn't changed at all. The Iris notes are still there, but not quite as dry as they were. It still smells lovely as a darkly sweet leather note is coming to the fore. Egoiste on the other hand is now beautiful. How this beautiful swan came from such a relatively ugly duckling which was quite overshadowed by Dior Homme is a work of genius. What I have now is a beautiful balance of three key notes: Sandalwood, rose and vanilla, each distinct and identifiable.

Conclusion:

In terms of sheer artistry Egoiste wins hands down. It is a majestic and beautifully crafted fragrance.

But...

Dior Homme as the Iris note fades becomes a well rounded warm and seductive fragrance, still retaining the delicate beauty of iris but without the dryness.

In short, they are both great fragrances, I have them both and wear them both often. But overall this was an uneven competition, simply because they are two very different fragrances.

The HDS award goes to...

.... Egoiste.

For sheer beauty in the perfumiers art.
    Simply brilliant ! Thank You !

I have both, so obviously I think they are both worth it. But if pushed, I would give Egoiste a slight edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I have both, so obviously I think they are both worth it. But if pushed, I would give Egoiste a slight edge.
    I have and love both also. If nudged, I would pick Egoiste.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Paco: Why don't you just order a bunch of samples, take some time to wear each of them at least three times (never two days in a row), and then you can write about them in the BN directory? Even if a frag is truly a "masterpiece," it doesn't mean that you will like it. You might hate it. I haven't tried Dior Homme yet, but I have a feeling that I'd prefer what I already have to it (such as FUBU Plush for men and Dream Angels Heavenly). Egoiste is too bland for me. I like Michael for Men better. However, I can only make these determinations now (and I still might change my mind), more than a year into this "hobby."

AromiErotici

Chanel Egoiste is the superior fragrance. In the years ahead, it will be a HTF and command high prices.

DANG IT
    now I have to try ANOTHER two that need to be added to my 'get sample of' list
    this website is not helping me curb my addiction!!
    (but did I really expect it to?)
    the joke is on me folks
    GREAT stuff!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I bought both blind (again) and sold both. Egoiste is way better than DH. DH is just not my cup of tea, not just too sweet, but a cloying/feminine kind of sweet.

This is yet another strange match-up of fragrances, and I am not surprised by the results that HDS1963 got from his experiment.
    (Hats off for that by the way) Egoiste would be my choice in every circumstance, be it climatic or social.

I don't know about DH but Egoiste smells a bit outdated to me!

I dislike Egoiste, and love Dior Homme.. so DH it will be.
    unico grande amore.

Thumbs up Re: Egoiste By Chanel or Dior Homme By Dior

Dior Homme !
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

It's blasphemy to choose one out of these two.

Egoiste is a beautiful rose & sandalwood fragrance with some vanilla thrown in. You'd find a lot of worshippers of this awesome juice. It was love at first wearing for me. I don't even want to start on the Egoiste Concentree

Dior homme is a bit controversial. Honestly it took me a year before I turned around and started loving Dior homme. The 'lipstick' or the 'make up bag' note in this intrigues some people and disappoints others. I love it personally (now). DH opened my eyes to other 'Iris' perfumes which I would totally rule out as I thought it was a 'feminine' note but that's history now.

Personally I don't think I'd ever want to be without any of these 2 beauties. They are wonderful cold weather scents but Dior Homme can sometimes be worn in mildly warm weather too. I can never choose one out of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    This is yet another strange match-up of fragrances, and I am not surprised by the results that HDS1963 got from his experiment.
    (Hats off for that by the way) Egoiste would be my choice in every circumstance, be it climatic or social.
    Thanks!

As a final note on the match up, I've since been to bed and some eight hours later, even having slept with both of them on, I can still smell both on the backs of my hands.

The Dior Homme is now smoother than honey down velvet and once again the kind of scent a lover would only smell when she/he is very very close to you. You would smell very seductive.

Still lovely is Egoiste, it isn't as seductive as Dior Homme, but the rose/sandalwood/vanilla blend is still evident.

If you wanted to pair these two up, do what someone mentioned earlier, wear Egoiste to get noticed, wear Dior Homme to close the deal.

Or just wear Platinum Egoiste which will do both jobs. Trust me. I know...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I like Egoiste but I like even better Egoiste Platinum.
    I used to love Dior Homme but now I am tired of it.... it was instant love that has been fading away very quickly. To me is quite linear and the iris note prevails too much
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Very nice post, HDS1963. You really turned a rather mundane question (sorry Paco) into a worthy thread. As for me, I own both and wear them frequently, but I reach for DH much more often. HDS'S post says it all as far as their notes and progression, but I personally favor the iris and leather over rose and vanilla.

As for Platinum Egoiste... it's not even in the running IMO.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Very nice post, HDS1963. You really turned a rather mundane question (sorry Paco) into a worthy thread. As for me, I own both and wear them frequently, but I reach for DH much more often. HDS'S post says it all as far as their notes and progression, but I personally favor the iris and leather over rose and vanilla.

As for Platinum Egoiste... it's not even in the running IMO.

Thanks Snafoo, that's very kind of you.

The Platinum Egoiste mention was as a seduction scent and not as a competition thing with Egoiste or Dior Homme. This is from personal experience with the the fairer sex who seem to love it!

I totally agree with HDS (btw, great post man!). I must add I also like what he calls to be a weird opening (it's the rosewood quite medicinal rush in it I suppose) because it's simply ipnotic.

Dior Homme is very good, and an encouraging release from a major fashion house. That said, Egoiste is one of the finest ever made, and, to me, is in my all-time top ten. This thread encouraged me to wear it again last night and it still strikes me as a stunning achievement in perfumery and satisfying in every way. I enjoy L'homme Coeur, Iris Silver Mist, & Bois d'Iris more than Dior Homme when it comes to Iris. There are very few things, across the entire world of perfumery, that I think finer than Egoiste.

Dammit just wear Azzaro pour Homme and be done with it!

Joking aside: Egoiste. It smells like awesome pie to me. Dior Homme I cannot, for the life of me, get past the lipstick accord.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    It's blasphemy to choose one out of these two.

Egoiste is a beautiful rose & sandalwood fragrance with some vanilla thrown in. You'd find a lot of worshippers of this awesome juice. It was love at first wearing for me. I don't even want to start on the Egoiste Concentree

Dior homme is a bit controversial. Honestly it took me a year before I turned around and started loving Dior homme. The 'lipstick' or the 'make up bag' note in this intrigues some people and disappoints others. I love it personally (now). DH opened my eyes to other 'Iris' perfumes which I would totally rule out as I thought it was a 'feminine' note but that's history now.

Personally I don't think I'd ever want to be without any of these 2 beauties. They are wonderful cold weather scents but Dior Homme can sometimes be worn in mildly warm weather too. I can never choose one out of the two.
    Yes !! Dior Homme is controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by abc1234 View Post
    I bought both blind (again) and sold both. Egoiste is way better than DH. DH is just not my cup of tea, not just too sweet, but a cloying/feminine kind of sweet.
    Dior Homme is soft sweetness, and yes !! is very feminine !!

If you like Egoiste you might enjoy Starring for men even more !

How in the world could any self-respecting addict not own BOTH. Seriously. Al Pacino wears Egoiste. AL PACINO. And who doesn't love the smell of a hot purse full of makeup and melted lipstick.

Definitely both!
    Evenstar

I agree with the idea of having both of them. But I want to add another point: Egoiste is an exteremely impressive timeless classic. Any perfume lover should have it, not for wearing outside and attarcting others attention, but for perceiving one of the peaks in art of perfumery.
    " Human beings are members of a whole,
    In creation of one essence and soul.

If one member is afflicted with pain,
    Other members uneasy will remain.

If you have no sympathy for human pain,
    The name of human you cannot retain."

Saadi (13th Century Persian Poet)

To original poster: what HDS1963 said I agree with 100%

This is a very personal choice you have given me, because I love both dearly... you see, Dior Homme (original formula from 2005 from O. Polge, not F. Demachy), is my signature fragrance. I love it so much I have two bottles... BUT, when it finishes (no more original formula) I am happy to switch to Egoiste.

So there you go, Dior Homme was my first "love" in fragrances and I also love Egoiste.

One thing I would say about Egoiste, Jaques Polge (the only perfumer for Chanel) has said that Egoiste was his "masterpiece", it was his "best work" as a perfumer... and imagine, this man has created EVERY Chanel fragrance for OVER 30 YEARS (since 1981)! and he said Egoiste was his "best". So you can get an idea how special Egoiste is.

Your question makes it tough for me to choose between these 2... but my feelings are 70%Dior Homme, 30%Egoiste.

Wow - five year old thread but guess the original question is still valid. Own and love both but prefer Egoiste By Chanel.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Both but would go with vintage DH over ANY other fragrance!

I own both, and enjoy both.

In my 418 bottle collection, I would rank both in my Top 100.

But for sheer quality and dry down my pick is Egoiste.
    But Dior Homme is the more modern of the two, Egoiste is the classic for more mature gents, yet a timeless masterpiece IMHO

To many new noses Egoiste will smell of bug spray for the first 5-15 minutes, Dior Homme will smell of a lady makeup bag.

1. Egoiste
    2. Dior Homme

But both are great frags
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

Egoiste is on another level .
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Egoiste easily out of the two, in my opinion, more complex and more distinctive.

Another vote for Egoiste. Egoiste Concentree is better than both combined.

Not comparable. Egoiste is a heavy, syrupy, woody oriental. Dior homme is a spicy floral leather and is very bright and light, almost smells like a traditional eau de cologne formula.

Old thread, but I think both are classic scents that will stand the test of time.

Dior Homme for me, but they are both good.
    Signature Scent

I can really understand why Egoïste gets so many votes. I like so many fragrances but this one is on another level. I tend to reserve it for nights out and special occasions, though I have worn it into the office a few times. It's a complex character, much like myself!

Basenotes Plus

Dior homme. Its weird. I have really tried to like chanel mens fragraces. I have tried many of them including egoiste and platinum egoiste. And honestly of all the chanel I have tried the only one that has done it for me is the one no one likes, bleu de chanel. Dior homme? Well its harder for me to find a dior I dont like.
    If you are one of those people who insist on paying full retail......Please check out my for sale thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoran View Post
    Dior homme. Its weird. I have really tried to like chanel mens fragraces. I have tried many of them including egoiste and platinum egoiste. And honestly of all the chanel I have tried the only one that has done it for me is the one no one likes, bleu de chanel...
    I'm surprised Bleu doesn't have more fans to be honest. I like it and it is on the 'to buy' list. I managed to pick up a sample of the Eau De Parfum a few weeks ago.

Egoiste. Dior homme is a bit feminine and in los angeles it is associated with the gay community (not that it matters). I do like midnight and Paris even if it's near the feminine side. So I don't have a dislike for scents leaning towards femine. The lipstick note in dior homme smells to much of chemicals for me.