Code of Conduct

Default Versace Pour Homme, your thoughts?

It seems this frag was initially written off by most, but seems to have gained some traction here at BN as of late and has at least a small following.

I'm curious what you all think of it now. Is it just another generic aquatic? An AdG clone? An AHS clone? A distinct and long lasting fresh scent? Another masterpiece like Mugler Cologne, also from Alberto Morillas? Does it smell natural to you, or synthetic? Do you like the bottle?

I've got my thoughts and I'll share them later but don't want to taint this initial post with an opinion. However, I'd really like to hear anything you've got to say about it.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Versace Pour Homme, your thoughts?

I would classify VpH as a clean and fresh woodsy citrus, but not an aquatic (this is a good thing for me). I can see why it would be viewed as a little ho-hum, BUT it is an elegant fragrance. It manages to be "soft" in each phase of its development but have decent longevity as well. Its neroli accord implementation is a little synthetic but well blended nevertheless.

I wouldn't swap my Idole or Blue Amber for it but as a fresh-modern designer scent it has merit. Further to this and most importantly for the single basenoters among us the ladies seem to enjoy it very much

Post Thanks / Like

It's a fine fragrance, I would wear it if Chanel Allure Sport did not exist. AHS is a bit sweeter and muskier, which I prefer. VPH has a clary sage note that smells sour to me, maybe the geranium as well, reminds of Platinum Egoiste. I also find that AHS has superior longevity and stronger vetiver in the base.

A few months back, I did a wrist v. wrist test as I loved the one sampling I had of VPH previously. But when stacked up against one another, AHS just seemed sexier and more appealing. VPH seems more citrusy, green, and airy, which is done well here if that's what your after though!

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a fragrance that belongs to a selct group of smellies trying to vindicate the fruit and aquatic genre. Very well done, and picks up were Chanel AHS EDT left. It adds some citrus, and although is not much more complex than its daddy, it simplicty is very well formuated so that it does not become boring.
    Last edited by irish; 5th March 2009 at 08:33 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I don't understand those who say it has minimal or even average longevity. I only applied two sprays to my abdomen, just below my navel, and I can still smell it quite clearly almost 8 hours later.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

it has better longevity than AdG and its quite similar to AdG but hey! all aquatics are similar (exclude Quasar and all odd-aquatic)
    Last edited by yrk; 5th March 2009 at 12:06 PM.
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

I don't find it very similar to AdG at all. AdG has melon notes, and a noticeable jasmine note. It is sweet and smooth and subdued, and perhaps even a tad feminine. VPH comes across as a very sharp/tart citrus over aromatic herbs and woods, undeniably masculine. Well, that's how they come across to my nose at least. I'm curious to hear what similarities you sniff?

I honestly think that anyone who thinks all aquatics are similar are not properly evaluating acquatics. Are all incense frags similar? All vetivers? Of course not.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 5th March 2009 at 12:29 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I like the progression of Versace Pour Homme. It is not linear by any means. The drydown borders for me on going into oriental territory, but not quite. I think JaimeB's review on Versace Pour Homme is spot on and I respect his impressions:

So we are now engaged in discussing the chauvinism of minor differences. Is this like many other citrus-woody scents? Well, yes! This is a very popular genre, possibly impelled by the desire of many men to smell inoffensive and "light." And yet... Versace pour Homme, while functioning perfectly well within this market niche, is better than almost all the others in a couple of respects. For one thing, it manages to marry a slight aquatic note to the dominant citrus in this while retaining a sense of proportion and good taste — something that can't be said for the vast majority of aquatic-accented fragrances, which let the monster in without then being able to tame it. Secondly, this offering manages to make an interestinmg use of quality notes, among them: a lovely petitgrain that mediates bitter orange leaves; a mild blue heliotrope that bespeaks a floral breath of spring; an elegant and pleasantly winey-floral clary sage note; and a deeper woody note in the form of a gentler oud than one normally finds. This fragrance is definitely no powerhouse, but rather a medium-light warm weather scent that nevertheless has good longevity and decent sillage. If you wanted to do the "citrus-woody inoffensive" dance, this would be the elegant way to choreograph it, with a light hand, but with flair and brisk artistry.
    24 August 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I have a sample of this and I love it. And for me, the longevity is awesome. Definitely not Aqua Di Gio, and that's a good thing.

I'd have to agree with you JWS that it isn't linear, but instead, as I believe Vibert described the wonderful progression of another fragrance - the magnificent Ungaro II, I'd call it "seamless."

A number of notes quietly come and quietly go and if you aren't paying attention it could definitely seem rather linear. But the tart citrus opening followed by the silent entrance and exit of the sweet floral hyacinth and slight aquatic note, the clary sage taking center stage, the cedar and oud then moving forward to share the stage with the sage, until finally only a dry oud, labdanum and white musk base remain (with perhaps a tiiiiny bit of something like birch tar oil to give it a mineralic aspect).

I was given a sample of this without requesting it. I had walked right past the bottle and written it off because it was Versace and I'd never liked anything I tried from them in the past. I even tried to convince myself I didn't like the sample after my first wearing. But I felt compelled to try it again, and again, and again. Now I find that it's not only my "go to", any day, any weather, any season scent, but that I actually enjoy it whenever I wear it (unlike some other versatile scents that are only so versatile because they are so drab and lack any character.)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I have one question that I don't think warrants it's own thread. Almost every thread that mentions Versace Pour Homme seems to have someone comparing it to Allure Homme Sport. Forget everything you know about fragrances as a basenoter and answer me one simple question please to a non-basenoter would these two fragrances be considered identical or direct copies?

Quote Originally Posted by tbp82 View Post
    I have one question that I don't think warrants it's own thread. Almost every thread that mentions Versace Pour Homme seems to have someone comparing it to Allure Homme Sport. Forget everything you know about fragrances as a basenoter and answer me one simple question please to a non-basenoter would these two fragrances be considered identical or direct copies?

Yes, if they were handed a spritzed card by an SA at Macys and compared them for the first 5 minutes, one could say they are pretty close...but as they evolve and drydown they become different. Most people buy and judge a frag based on a quick sniff/sample at the fragrance counter...no full wearings or analysis side by side. If you don't get to know these 2 frags longer than 5 minutes then the answer is Yes.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 5th March 2009 at 03:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that Versace is no longer anything special, which includes the recent fragrance.

It can't be compared to the original Versace L'Homme.. which has a good number of admirers. Or one of any of the "Jeans" fragrances. This one isn't even in the same league - boring, uninspired and doesn't add anything new to revitalize or intrigue Versace fans.

The bottle design is offensive in that it looks like a Versace knockoff, if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post

It seems this frag was initially written off by most, but seems to have gained some traction here at BN as of late and has at least a small following.

I'm curious what you all think of it now. Is it just another generic aquatic? An AdG clone? An AHS clone? A distinct and long lasting fresh scent? Another masterpiece like Mugler Cologne, also from Alberto Morillas? Does it smell natural to you, or synthetic? Do you like the bottle?

I've got my thoughts and I'll share them later but don't want to taint this initial post with an opinion. However, I'd really like to hear anything you've got to say about it.

Post Thanks / Like

When I wore VPH as a test, my girlfriend assumed I was wearing Allure Sport, which is my personal favorite. But when I asked her to smell it up close (walking around the mall about 30 minutes after I sprayed it on my wrist at Macy's), she could tell the difference and in her words, 19 year old chick, "It smells different, it still smells like yours, but more like what my dad wears". It's definately the clary sage, hyacinth, and geranium notes that date the fragrance. If you're looking for younger, fresher, and sexier here, go with Allure Sport. It's sweeter, woodier in the drydown, and has that distinct Chanel mastery feel to it. It's the superior juice hands down guys!
    Last edited by Sokkou; 5th March 2009 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    When I wore VPH as a test, my girlfriend assumed I was wearing Allure Sport, which is my personal favorite. But when I asked her to smell it up close (walking around the mall about 30 minutes after I sprayed it on my wrist at Macy's), she could tell the difference and in her words, 19 year old chick, "It smells different, it still smells like yours, but more like what my dad wears". It's definately the clary sage, hyacinth, and geranium notes that date the fragrance. If you're looking for younger, fresher, and sexier here, go with Allure Sport. It's sweeter, woodier in the drydown, and has that distinct Chanel mastery feel to it. It's the superior juice hands down guys!
    19 year old chick?...nothing more needs to be said. Thanks for the clarification.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 5th March 2009 at 06:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh, some may see that as a blow to choosing AHS, but its music to my ears. In no way is VPH a mediocre or inferior frag, it just takes the same idea and presents it in a more citrusy, green and herbal way, as opposed to AHS's muskier and woodier way. Both are similar, but AHS is most definately sexier to my nose at least.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I was given a sample of this without requesting it. I had walked right past the bottle and written it off because it was Versace and I'd never liked anything I tried from them in the past. I even tried to convince myself I didn't like the sample after my first wearing.
    OMG, I did the exact same thing. I'm tempted to buy a bottle, by the way, even tho' I already have way too many 'fresh' scents. This is just so nice and undemanding. I bet my coworkers will love it on me.

Heh, some may see that as a blow to choosing AHS, but its music to my ears. In no way is VPH a mediocre or inferior frag, it just takes the same idea and presents it in a more citrusy, green and herbal way, as opposed to AHS's muskier and woodier way. Both are similar, but AHS is most definately sexier to my nose at least.
    Not a blow at all. I like Allure Homme Sport also. But if you find Versace PH dated due to the clary sage, then we really are in different worlds, but my goals are not to satisfy a 19 year old chick thankfully, so I understand your choice and tastes. Both fine frags.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 5th March 2009 at 07:02 PM.

She said "It smells different, it still smells like yours" Sokkou man that doesn't even make sense. Also, I still haven't made up my mind. I definately won't be getting both. As of right now I am leaning toward Chanel Allure Sport but that could change at any second. Also, should we throw Chanel Allure Sport Cologne into this conversation? I would love to hear opinions on all 3 especially from Sokkou.
    Last edited by tbp82; 5th March 2009 at 06:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't actually tried AHSC because its an EdC and longevity is one of my stickler-points for my frags. I haven't seen a tester anywhere for AHSC and to be quite honest, I'm content with AHS. Anyway, what I meant Tbp was, while VPH and AHS share many qualities and accords, when smelled up close, you can discern their divergencies. To her, AHS is my signature smell, it "makes her knees weak", and while VPH was close, it was no cigar. My personal opinion of fragrance is that I have to absolutely love it, they have to be distinctly different enough, and need great longevity. I prefer to have a few "signature smells" at this point in my life, as you can see in my wardrobe.

When I wore VPH by itself to work a few times, I enjoyed it, but not as much as I enjoy my AHS, and when I wore them wrist-by-wrist, the clear winner to my nose was AHS. Feel free to ask any more questions though!
    Last edited by Sokkou; 5th March 2009 at 06:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

VPH is solid, in that generic way. the bottle is decently designed, and while the fragrance itself doesnt really break any barriers or blow anyone away, I'd say its near the top of this years releases. I had a tester for about a month. Everyone in my family agreed it smelled nice, fresh, and clean, but either smelled too similar to other things, or it could not hold a candle to my personal favorites (like riverside drive and Aqua)

Post Thanks / Like

I think I might need to test this again. On my first test, it didn't leave me wanting more. Nor did it leave me with any memory of it. Not to say that it was forgettable, it just wasn't what I was looking for at the time.

I'll check this out again soon...hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't find Versace pour homme similar to AdG whatsoever. Similar to AHS top notes on a paper test strip possibly, yes, but not on my skin.

Longevity of Versace pour homme is excellent on my skin, lasting longer than 8 hours. I can still smell it on my shirts when I launder them, causing me to ask myself "what was I wearing that day?"

Lately I've been buying fragrances while completely unaware of the noses behind them. Frequently I research the nose after the purchase. To my surprise, the majority of my collection has been created by Alberto Morillas and collaborators. Guess I like his work.

Love the Versace pour homme bottle.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, and the opinion's of a few girls I have asked, VpH blows away everything mentioned in this discussion. VpH is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    I don't find Versace pour homme similar to AdG whatsoever. Similar to AHS top notes on a paper test strip possibly, yes, but not on my skin.

Longevity of Versace pour homme is excellent on my skin, lasting longer than 8 hours. I can still smell it on my shirts when I launder them, causing me to ask myself "what was I wearing that day?"

Lately I've been buying fragrances while completely unaware of the noses behind them. Frequently I research the nose after the purchase. To my surprise, the majority of my collection has been created by Alberto Morillas and collaborators. Guess I like his work.

Love the Versace pour homme bottle.
    Bossanova hit three of my primary thoughts on Versace Pour Homme(enboldened). This was the first fragrance that I discovered when I thought my novice tastes had hit maturity. I had sampled everything available at retail shops in America, and at least had a background of what I liked and didn't. VPH was instantly attractive, and I think I will orbit it and return again and again over time. It's funny, in that when it's go time...time to select a single fragrance to wear for a rare important evening...I will always choose something from Chanel or AdG(give the lady what she likes after all), but I suspect this will always be in my top ten...like a quality sixth-man on a great team, waiting to come in off the bench

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else noticed the similarity in drydown to YSL L'Homme? they both have a sweetish edge to them, I assume as a result of the mutual tonkabean.

a 19yo chick would prefer Axe to VPH.

Versace has kind of grown on me. So far it seems like a lot of the newer fragrances are rather dull and uninspired and if I didn't give Versace a chance I'd assume it was the same. Right out of the bottle it smells like nothing too special but the more I wore it, the more I liked it. It's not linear, it changes and I wouldn't call it an aquatic. It's fresh but not like Mugler. It's got an aquatic feel to it yet I'd classify it as a fresh woody fragrance with a hint of citrus. It changes and it's a very elegant fragrance.

I think it's well done and it's very similar to Allure Sport. I actually had both AHS and VPH but Allure Sport seemed a bit too lemony. It's nice but Versace seems more grown up but not in an old man type of way because so far I've received a lot of compliments on it.

Obviously not for a crowd below 21 I'd assume.

Post Thanks / Like

I received this as a sample last week, wore it last weekend, and found it to be pretty good.

I don't think I'll buy the big bottle because it's just not that distinctive, but I will enjoy what's left of the sample !

Post Thanks / Like

I loved this scent from the moment I tried it. Bought it, next day met with my female friend (we had a thing, but it didn't work) and she said, wow you smell so nice...

Very good for summer days and nights. Has a proper sillage, longveity is great on me.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I find it to be extraordinarily mediocre.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Was surprised to see this thread resurface.

I still love this scent and rate it in my top ten amongst Amouage, etc.

I can't decide if it's my favorite work from Alberto Morillas or not.. it's between this and his other masterpiece, Colonia Intensa.

If I had to choose only one of the two though, I'd go with VPH. I actually find it more versatile and I absolutely love the oud note in it. It's one of the more unconventional usages of oud, with no rose, gourmand, or particularly spicy notes supporting it. What other unconventional oud scents are out there.. the only one I can think of with a somewhat similar vibe, although still featuring rose, is Montale's Royal Aoud.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 3rd November 2009 at 05:07 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!