Code of Conduct

Default In a sample rut again, need recommendations

I have no samples ordered for next week, which is a travesty. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Looking to order about 6 or 7 samples.

Off-Scenter

Default Re: In a sample rut again, need recommendations

Assuming your wardrobe is up-to-date, it looks like you've covered plenty of the offerings in the Serge Lutens, Malle, and L'Artisan lines. Maybe a few more of the Maitre Parfumeur and Gantier scents, like Iris Bleu Gris, Parfum d'Habit, or Jardin du Nil? There are a couple of fun scents in the Parfumerie Generale lineup, particularly Intrigant Patchouli and Aomassaï. Like Leather? Try Bandit, Eau d'Hermès, or Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur. The new Azzaro Couture and Jil Sander Scent 79 for Man are pretty nifty, too.

Hope that's some help!

I sampled Bond No. 9's new Brooklyn scent last weekend, and it is really fantastic. Bright and fresh and complex. Grapefruit and woods. Highly recommend.

Burberry Beat samples are out now. I got one this week. Smells like delicious cedar. I can't wait to wear it.

The new Bois 1920 scents are now at luckyscent.

If you live in NYC, spend an afternoon at Aedes de Venustas. You won't have to order samples. They'll make recommendations and give you some samples even if you don't purchase a bottle that day. Next, Barney's, Bergdorf Goodman, Henri Bendel,...

On the other hand, I understand the convenience of ordering so here are a few:

Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore and Cuir Mauresque
    Etat Libre d'Orange Rossy de Palma
    Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    Le Labo Vanille 44
    Knize Knize Ten
    Amouage Lyric Woman (more in line with your taste in oriental scents than Lyric Man)
    Ormonde Jayne Ormonde Man
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Michael Kors Michael for Men
    Christian Dior Dior Homme
    M. Micallef Gaiac
    Andy Tauer Vetiver Dance

thanks for the recommendations. i forgot i wanted to try Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore and Cuir Mauresque, so thanks for those recommendations. Also Parfum d'Habit. I tried it once on my wrist and have been meaning to get a sample. Sephora is directly across from my office building so I'll see if they have Burberry Beat available yet - love Sephora, not so much for the selection, but because they will make me samples of anything (in a spray bottle too, not a vial). I've been meaning to try Eau d'Hermès, so thanks for the reminder. Also I think I'll order Vetiver Ectraordinairre - only tried it once on my wrist at Barneys but I remember really digging it (much nicer, imo, than Encre Noire or Route de Vetiver, with RdV being way too strong and in your face).

Look also at the range on offer at ausliebezumduft.de - they have a staggering niche range and cheap global shipping.

has anyone tried Acqua di Parma's Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana?

sounds intriguing.

Since you're in NYC - there's a new line at Bendels called Memoire Liquide. Apparently there's a 'bar' of 150 fragrances that come in EdP and parfum, and the SA will help you go through them and can suggest combinations to create a personalized fragrance. These are not like Jo Malone fragrances which, while good, are really somewhat bland as standalone fragrances are meant to be combines - rather the Memoire Liquide's I've tried were very good individual fragrances. The prices aren't that bad, though I heard they just went up (the EdPs were $60/60ml, I don't know what they are now). I haven't been in the City in a few months and I can't wait 'til my next trip to check this out. I have about a 15 different decants and one parfum bottle, and I've been very pleased.

Some other recommendations (besides those in my signature):

Leather
    Parfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris, Knize Ten, L'Artisan Dzing!

Classics
    Guerlain Mitsouko, Jicky, or Vol de Nuit, Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955), Bois de Iles, or Cuir de Russie

Actually, any time you don't know what to sample, the 12 different Chanel Exclusifs are always sample-worthy.

Also, check out fragrances by Profumum, Micallef, Mazzolari, and/or Parfumerie Generale... you can't go wrong with any of those houses. That should keep you busy!

Amouage Homage Attar

I'm just going with what I am interested/liking right now, hopefully you will like something amongst here that you like as well.

Ormonde Jayne- Man and Woman
    Donna Karan- Fuel
    Creed- Green Valley and Erolfa
    Maitre Perfumeur et Gantier- Garrigue
    M. Micallef- Black Sea, Red Sea, and Le Seducteur
    Lubin- Idole de Lubin
    Penhaligons-Castile
    Parfumerie Generale- Yuzu, Ab Irato

has anyone tried Acqua di Parma's Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana? <----- Yes I have tried them and they smell artificial to me.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Penhaligon's Castile: A nice neroli based barbershop frag
    CdG Kyoto: Incense
    Caron: Third Man
    Dior: Homme
    Gucci: pour Homme (dry, dry wood)

http://www.dsanddurga.com/ <---- It was recommended by Everso a few weeks ago, check it out, it has some promising interesting juices
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    has anyone tried Acqua di Parma's Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana? <----- Yes I have tried them and they smell artificial to me.
    i agree. i just came back from saks and tired it and didn't like it. also sprayed on Creed's cypress scent (cyprus musc or something like that) and tom ford's (which smells like polo). didn't like any of them.

whoever recommended jicky and vol de nuit, thanks. i've been meaning to try those and completely forgot about them.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I'm just going with what I am interested/liking right now, hopefully you will like something amongst here that you like as well.

Ormonde Jayne- Man and Woman
    Donna Karan- Fuel
    Creed- Green Valley and Erolfa
    Maitre Perfumeur et Gantier- Garrigue
    M. Micallef- Black Sea, Red Sea, and Le Seducteur
    Lubin- Idole de Lubin
    Penhaligons-Castile
    Parfumerie Generale- Yuzu, Ab Irato
    i haven't heard of at least half of these, which means i'm intrigued now. definitely something new. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by union1411 View Post
    i haven't heard of at least half of these, which means i'm intrigued now. definitely something new. thanks.
    No problem man, I just glanced quickly at your "tried" section in your 'drobe, and thought of my personal favs at the moment, and went from there. Make sure to let us know when you try any new stuff!