Code of Conduct

Default With or Without boxes

I know many basenote users really appreciate it when people still have the box when selling a fragrance. I also saw many people selling without boxes, like saying I don't care about them. Well, In my opinion, how could you throw away these boxes. I still have every single one, because my perfumes aren't complete with the box. The box is a part of it, and has it's function aswell.. Impressions (for a seller aswell) etc.

How do you handle your perfumes?
    unico grande amore.

Default Re: With or Without boxes

The sheer number of scents I've collected (and the space I have to store them) prevents me from keeping the boxes.
    I throw them all away unless there's something particularly nice or inventive about the packaging that compels me to keep it. For example, this one:

I keep boxes only for a purely functional aspect, namely shielding the bottles from light.

those are definently unique.. but I suppose if you had room.. there'd be no one tossed away.. haha
    unico grande amore.

I still have all the boxes, I dont' use them, I keep my frags in a wardrobe. I like seeing all my pretty bottles when I select my SotD in the morning.

I always put the bottles in the boxes again, to prevent lights aswell.. but it looks better and more organised than just the bottles themselves..
    unico grande amore.

I have a 50/50 split in terms of fragrances with and fragrances without boxes.

I've bought some without boxes, others I misguidedly threw away.

Penhaligon's have got the right idea by making their boxes so much works of art in themselves that I can't bring myself to throw them away.

There is also always in the back of my mind the Ebay factor - fragrances in boxes sell at a slightly higher price.

They do also keep fragrances away from light which is a big bonus.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I don't know, for me, from an aesthetic point of view, flacons win by a huge margin.

I keep the boxes for most of my fragrances but the boxes don't add any extra value or enjoyment for me at all. The only reason I keep boxes is that I plan on moving shortly and the boxes will hopefully help keep my frags safe(r) during the move.
    Last edited by surreality; 5th March 2009 at 07:19 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I keep boxes for the sake of resale value
    it helps keep an edge over someone who doesnt have the box
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

i dont care all that much about the box, unless its something truly impressive.

the cap, however, is a must.

Caps are 100% must for me. Boxes are a huge plus too though. I don't really know why it such a big deal to me since I keep them separate, but I enjoy the whole presentation, packaging, etc. For things like Homage, Clive Christian, By Kilian, and such, the box and presentation is really an integral part of my enjoyment.

Basenotes Institution

If I plan on keeping the fragrance, I throw the box away - I have no use for it.

If I'm 'not sure' about a fragrance I own, I keep the box - in case I sell it.

I like the whole package too, being a gratification freak, and that includes the boxes. In fact, even though I love some of the bottles, I keep all mine in the original boxes, even the ones I'm using, inside a closed cabinet in my dresser. Yeah, I'm that neurotic.

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja View Post
    I keep boxes only for a purely functional aspect, namely shielding the bottles from light.
    Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    the cap, however, is a must.
    ditto that.

however, some of the Niche releases take up too much space..their bx almost as big as a shoe box..in those cases i keep the boxes separately in an drawer...i never throw away a box. i just dont have the heart to do that.

I keep the boxes and store the frags in them. When you have a monthly rotation you don't get back to that frag for at least a few weeks anyway. If the box is a super flimsy tester one, I might use it for something else or just throw it out. I keep everything capped, even if I have to find one and it doesn't fit snugly.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 5th March 2009 at 08:56 PM.

I always hang onto the box - initially it was in case I wanted to resell. Last year during Hurricane Ike I had to evacuate, and the boxes were damn handy for packing, moving, and storing the fragrances. It would have really been a drag if I had to individually bubble wrap each one. Since then I've had a new appreciation for the utility of boxes.

I used to hold on to them 'just in case' but after a while my pack rat pad just needed some pruning and they were among the excess that had to go. Now I make it a point to recycle the container when I open it.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Caps are 100% must for me. Boxes are a huge plus too though. I don't really know why it such a big deal to me since I keep them separate, but I enjoy the whole presentation, packaging, etc. For things like Homage, Clive Christian, By Kilian, and such, the box and presentation is really an integral part of my enjoyment.
    Glad there are more like me, haha.
    unico grande amore.

If the bottle is clear then I keep it in the box at all times. If it is opaque then I keep it out and hide the box somewhere. I keep my fragrances in a small wooden box and keep my B*Men rubber flask bottle turned to the side so the star is covered from any light. The rest of the bottle is rubber so no worries. The box for B*Men was badly damaged so I threw it away. My Ferrari Black bottle is also without the box. I'm not sure if I still have the box somewhere.

Cool.. but I noticed.. many don't see them as a part of the perfume itself.
    unico grande amore.

I don't care about the box one bit. I don't even care enough about the bottle not to buy decants or testers so why care about the box? It's just a piece of cardboard. And it doesn't smell nice like the perfume inside
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Ręve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I dont care about boxes too, I put them on upper shelf where noone can see them, and scents goes to closing shelf with no light possible to enter, moreover unboxed wersion is cheaper so why should I pay extra 5-10 bucks for a box that I will not use?
    Last edited by yrk; 6th March 2009 at 02:38 PM.
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów