Code of Conduct

Question Hermessence Vetiver Tonka

I just tried Hermessence Vetiver Tonka and I loved the way the drydown smells on me. I can't stop smelling it. I also tried to look for it to purchase but am having a hard time finding it. My question is, does anyone know what other fragrance has a similar drydown scent as this one?
    One that's easier to find.
    thank you

Default Re: Hermessence Vetiver Tonka

I love Vetiver Tonka! Sadly, I know of nothing quite like it. It is only available in Hermes boutiques and eBay, unless you are lucky enough to find a member here or elsewhere on the internet willing to part with their bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I love Vetiver Tonka! Sadly, I know of nothing quite like it. It is only available in Hermes boutiques and eBay, unless you are lucky enough to find a member here or elsewhere on the internet willing to part with their bottle.
    I know, I found a 15ml sample on ebay but I was looking for a bottle and could not find one. So now im just trying to find a similar fragrance.

Blog Entries

Nope, I've yet to find anything like it. Just keep an eye on eBay, and the other eye on the Basenotes sale boards.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Blog Entries

Vétiver Tonka is amazingly good - the first time I smelled it, I was actually euphoric. Just freaked me out. At that time, the only thing that came to mind was Sel de Vétiver, but only in that the vetiver was handled as smoothly - otherwise, a different scent. Well - I do think that there is an Ellena family resemblance to their frags, whether by nature or nurture.

The only thing that I've found that's moderately reminiscent of it (to my strange nose) is Neil Morris Midnight Forest, and it's sort of an ABC to AbDe similarity. The overall effects are surprisingly similar, and Vétiver Tonka was the thing that came to mind immediately when I smelled Midnight Forest. But while the powdery tonka thing is present in both, the vetiver in Midnight Forest is subdued and partially hidden under additional notes, and lacks the prominence and "just less than burnt" presence that makes the vetiver in Vétiver Tonka so appealing. Add in the pine aspects and some definite coolness, and Midnight Forest becomes a different animal, but one that I really love. MF is worth the $5 sample on the off chance that you might love it despite the differences, but it is definitely NOT a copy of VT.

Also, you should be very careful listening to the opinion of someone who likes Gucci by Gucci PH and McGraw.

NOTHING has come close to Vetiver Tonka, I agree with Redneck Perfumisto that Sel de Vetiver is the closest to resemi;ing it in how smoothly the vetiver is handled.

I actually had a chance to buy it at a Hermes Boutique in Narita Airport in Japan...but I didn't have the cash on me :-(. They only accepted Yen. The SA was a very tall, indimidatingly pretty Japanese girl, that doesnt' have anything to do with the scent, but now her image is tied to my mishap with Vetiver Tonka in my memory.

Basenotes Institution

There's nothing like Vetiver Tonka. I think the drydown smells like cotton candy. Or burnt sugar. In a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    There's nothing like Vetiver Tonka. I think the drydown smells like cotton candy. Or burnt sugar. In a good way.
    Cotton candy? Really Mike?
    All I get is powdered laundry detergent...
    I remember a competition run by Persil when I was about 8 years old, where we had to collect different pictures from inside the laundry powder boxes... they were cartoon characatures of famous "pairs" - Laurel and Hardy, Fred Astaire & Ginger Rodgers etc. I remember gleefully rummaging around all that powdery white muck each time my mother bought a box home. I think that has stayed with me, because nowdays everytime I smell V.T, I get that same semi-moist Persil accord *wheeze*
    Pity, because I used to really enjoy Vetiver Tonka.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 6th March 2009 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie0 View Post
    I know, I found a 15ml sample on ebay but I was looking for a bottle and could not find one. So now im just trying to find a similar fragrance.
    When Vetiver Tonka was first released I tried some on at the boutique and was instantly smitten. I, too set out trying to find a more affordable substitute. As a result, I began trying every vetiver scent I could lay my hands on. I also began buying every vetiver and every tonka essential oil and tried to recreate it.
    I now have a respectable collection of vetiver scents and love many of them, but none of them sated my desire for VT. IfI had an opportunity to do it over again, I would have just bought VT, and saved the money I spent searching for something similar.
    When they put me in Debtors Prison I will be clutching a bottle of it.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 10th March 2009 at 12:34 AM.

Thank you Basenoters. Actually I got the sample from The perfumed Court and did see the 15ml travel size. Well I guess I'm going to buy the 15ml or a decant. I dont get cotton candy scent, I get the sweetness I just dont understand how I just fell in love with it. *ugh* why is it that the frangrances you really fall for are the ones that are hard to get?

Yohji Homme is the closest to Vetiver Tonka.

TDC Sel de Vetiver and Guerlain Homme shares some background notes with Yohji and Vetiver Tonka, but overall they are quite different scents.

Blog Entries

I think the Vetiver Tonka came only in that 15ml size. It was part of a series, a group of 4 travel size scents that came together. They are often broken up and sold for around $50 each.
    Last edited by kumquat; 6th March 2009 at 11:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie0 View Post
    Thank you Basenoters. Actually I got the sample from The perfumed Court and did see the 15ml travel size. Well I guess I'm going to buy the 15ml or a decant. I dont get cotton candy scent, I get the sweetness I just dont understand how I just fell in love with it. *ugh* why is it that the frangrances you really fall for are the ones that are hard to get?
    Where are you overseas? When I was interested in trying Hermés products here in Kentucky I called their Chicago boutique and they sent me samples of four Hermessence products at no charge whatsoever.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I think the Vetiver Tonka came only in that 15ml size. It was part of a series, a group of 4 travel size scents that came together. They are often broken up and sold for around $50 each.
    Missed this, there are 100mL bottles of it but they're quite expensive and going up in price every year.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Try Chanel Allure Sport EDT. It has excellent vetiver and tonka notes in the base, with some musk too.

And if you ever do break down and decide to buy a bottle of Vetiver Tonka, it's available from Hermes Boutiques worldwide.

My experience is that I fell in love with Ambre Narguile and bought 4x15ml bottles of AN in the travel set, but then the dreaded 'aaack, too sweeeet!' AN syndrome hit me and I now wish I had bought a selection of the Hermessences. So you might want to wait and see if you're still besotted when you get to the end of the 15ml travel size before you splurge on a big bottle. (Though the 'Aaaack!' effect is only associated with Ambre Narguile, so you don't need to worry.)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

You can call any Hermes Boutique and they can mail you Vetiver Tonka. You can buy the big bottle or 4 x 15 ml of the travel sizes (they don't sell the individual 15 ml travelers in the boutique). Another option is to purchase their 'Discovery Set' of Hermessences which includes 15 ml of the following: Vetiver Tonka, Ambre Narguille, Rose Ikebana and Poivre Samarcand (pardon my spelling...never was my forte). If you buy the quartet it comes to about $40 per 15 ml, so cheaper than TPC or anyone on eBay, though I'm not sure what Hermes would charge you for shipping.
    P.S. I LOVE Vetiver Tonka, and in my limited experience there is nothing that is a good substitute.