Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances I've sampled over the last 2 weeks

CdG 2 Man: it's Gucci PH with less longevity

Heeley Fine Leather: beyond disgusting. it's a Tier 2 level of revulsion. Tier 1 is reserved for Secretion Magneifque and MKK. Le Labo Patchouli 44 is also Tier 2. Heeley Fine Leather smells someone like took rotten fish and a rotten head of lettuce and blended them together. i smell no leather.

PDN New York: smells a bit like an old lady's perfume. yet there is something a little intriguing about it. i can't think of where i would wear this to. maybe a cocktail party at the Waldorf. not interested.

MPG Santal Noble: extremely dry with enough sandalwood for an entire village. not my thing for sure. it's well made but there is nothing attractive about it. it smells blah.

MPG Eau des Iles: coffee? gourmand? huh? i smell none of that. this smells cold, dry, and medicinal. has something similar to Route de Vetiver for some reason. extremely sharp smell. definitely not for me. almost impossible to wash off the skin.

Histoire des Parfums 1740: smokey, smokey, smokey. this has that note that is in Patchouli 44. it's a burning smoke smell that i can't quite describe (somewhat similar to when someone burns the carpet i suppose). some people might like that note, but i can't stand it. it's there from beginning to end.

Serge Lutens' Fumerie Turque: has that same smoke note that it's in 1740. turns me off. i don't get the attraction to this fragrance as i think there are much better and more complex tobacco fragrances out there.

Montale Chocolate Greedy: decent chocolate note. it's pretty much all chocolate. not very exciting. Guerlain's Coquin is a more realistic chocolate fragrance. that said, i'd much rather wear something more complex like L'Instant Extreme by Guerlain or Rochas Man.

C&S 88: a somewhat dirty rose. has something barbershop about it. i've smelled better rose fragrances. this didn't do anything for me and smelled too much like what an old man might wear. i'll probably try it again in a month or so, since it's so popular here. who knows maybe i'll like it later on, as happened with me with Kouros and Bois D'Orage.

Odori Cuoio: i tried this a few months back at barneys and thought it wasn't bad. received my sample from TPC and therefore could do a full wear and ended up detesting it. very sharp, cold, clinical smell. i detect very little leather in it. no thanks.

Rochas Lui: yet another fragrance that smells very sharp and medicinal. colorless with no flavor. i don't get this fragrance. it simply doesn't smell good to me.

L'Occitane's 4 Voleurs: loved it from the beginning. and the drydown is terrific as well. peppery, with oak moss, and a great cedar and sage and maybe thyme. it's what i wanted Blenheim Bouquet to be, but BB was too light on the pepper and too piney. this fragrance however is not shy at all and busts with pepper and cedar and sage and has excellent sillage and good longevity. it adds the depth and panache missing from L'Occitane's Cedar EDP.

L'Occitane's Eau des Baux: opening is terrific. lovelywoody opening. but the drydown turned me off. muddled with a bit overkill on vanilla (and not a pleasant vanilla either).

L'Occitane's Vetyver: this is a very well made fragrance with well-definied bold notes. but there is one note - maybe incense - that is a bit too woody and green that ruins the whole thing for me. too bad because this has first class longevity and sillage.

L'Occitane's Amber (only on paper strip so far): awesome. definitely have to try this on the skin. very attractive amber that is not dirty or overly sweet.

L'Occitane's fragrances really surprised me. They smell natural without a hint of anything synthetic (even though they may be 95% synthetic for all i know) and very foresty. I highly recommend checking out their stuff. And the prices are incredibly cheap.

Sean John's Unforgivable: this is basically Creed's MI. not a bad fragrance but how often would i really wear it? my guess, just about never, unless i'm going to a dance club perhaps.
    Last edited by union1411; 6th March 2009 at 01:16 AM.

Default Re: Fragrances I've sampled over the last 2 weeks

Santal Noble Dry? I don't think so.

Train your nose a little more. Lui is complex, subtle and nuanced.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Off-Scenter

Sounds like you've had a bad couple of weeks...

Looks like it was a 6 for 16 batting average.
    Although you seemed to find that L'Occitane was pretty good for you. Maybe you should try some more in that line since they did work so well on you.
    Happy Hunting.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    Train your nose a little more. Lui is complex, subtle and nuanced.
    now that i think about it, it's the neroli. i don't like neroli and i think Lui has a decent amount in it. oh well.

but i will give it another wearing this weekend just in case.

edit: decided to spray it on again. yeah it's only been 10 minutes but this is an overload of neroli and it smells dated and old womanish to me. i'm just going to have to be in the minority and say this ain't my thing.
    Last edited by union1411; 6th March 2009 at 12:46 AM.