Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default The "controversial" fragrances

Hi again,

I've been sampling, sniffing, spraying, and meanwhile reading tons of reviews! I've gotten two sets of L'Artisan samples already and can I just say YUM to Premier Figuier and Premier Figuier Extreme?! Love them.

But gorgeous scents like that are not what I want to talk about today. In reading reviews and in my limited experience with sampling, I've been quite interested in the more controversial fragrances, the ones that provoke a visceral disgust and dread in some people and a rather perverse delight in others. Things like Muscs Koublai Khan, Kingdom, Secretions Magnifiques... all the ones that people compare to one bodily fluid or another, and describe with words like skanky, dirty, raunchy, animalic. I want to sample them all and see for myself what all the fuss is about!

So far I've tried Bulgari Black (I know, no bodily fluids, but still a love-it-or-hate-it)) and absolutely fallen in love; it's well on its way to becoming my new signature scent. I've also gotten a sample of Dzing! from L'Artisan, another mildly controversial one. While I wouldn't want to wear it in public (a bit too masculine for me), I just love to smell it, and smell it, and smell it. It has a sort of fascination for me such that even if I don't quite like it, I still am drawn to it over and over. I think I might have that experience with some of the even more controversial fragrances too.

So can you help me compile a list of all the most controversial fragrances out there so that I can start sampling? I'm kind of drawing a blank. I've read tons of reviews, but when I want to start a list I can't think of many.

Muscs Koublai Khan
    Kingdom
    Secretions Magnifiques
    Yatagan
    Bal a Versailles

I know there's more. Please add to my list. Masculine, feminine, doesn't matter. I want to smell them all!

Thanks so much,
    R

Default Re: The "controversial" fragrances

Welcome to Basenotes!

This is one of my favorite subjects! Please try:
    Kouros
    Parfum d'Habit
    L'Anarchiste
    Musk Ghazelle
    Kiehl's Original Musk Oil (not the EdT)
    Shocking (vintage)
    Knize Ten
    Kolnisch Juchten (Parfums Regence)
    Cabochard
    Bandit
    Nostalgia
    Tar
    Garage
    Dzongkha
    Castoreum (La Via del Profumo)
    Miel de Bois (my apologies to tang, I was editing this post and didn't see hers until I posted. BTW, I love it)
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 7th March 2009 at 01:12 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I don't know about "controversial," but Serge Lutens' Miel de Bois seems to evoke very strong opinions, love or hate. (I hated it.) Some of the reviews mention notes of urine or B.O.

Blog Entries

As a fair warning, you'll discover with time that you're keeping company with some of the more eloquent drama queens (and kings) this side of the Sun. Sometimes you're not going to find anything particularly offensive about a scent. TwoRoads gave a very comprehensive starting list though, everything I thought of is already on there.

Have fun with your experiment. Keep us updated (maybe a Basenotes Blog series?).
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Some people find the pine notes (my beloved pine!!) to be too much to handle, or reminiscent of Pine-Sol (gasp) in Pino Silvester and even the sublime Blenheim Bouquet.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Off-Scenter

Always happy to wear provocative scents myself, I'll try to add to TwoRoads' list:

Charogne
    Nuit Noire
    Amouage Gold for Men
    Aoud Cuir d'Arabie
    Black Aoud
    Baïme
    Tubéreuse Criminelle
    Eau d'Hermès
    Idole
    Intrigant Patchouli
    L'Autre
    Route du Vétiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rem_dreams View Post
    Muscs Koublai Khan
    Kingdom
    Secretions Magnifiques
    Yatagan
    Bal a Versailles
    Hi rem_dreams, I posted a thread similar to this a couple weeks ago! Unlike you, though, I used to fear the skank and had a lot of misconceptions as a result of reading too much into the hyperbole of other reviewers. Yatagan is beautiful woods. MKK is ten minutes of hardcore skank followed by pretty flowers. Kingdom is subtle, sustained skank languidly festering beneath pretty flowers. Bal I don't know yet, but am totally excited to.

However.

I would not touch Secretions Magnifiques with a ten-foot pole.

Yes, definitely keep us posted!
    Oh, maybe try Jicky, too. I don't think it's particularly controversial, but it's got...something... in it.
    Currently wearing: Arpège by Lanvin

I definitely think Dior Fahrenheit is one of those. I personally sometimes like it, and sometimes hate it.

Also, some scents play out differently depending on the weather. I'd keep that in mind.

Nicely thought out post, rem_dreams.

TwoRoads hit most of the heavy hitters, although bear in mind that some of them are squarely in the masculine category.

Other suggestions:
    Diptype l'Autre. Doesn't often show up in forum discussions, but I have a visceral (negative) reaction to it.
    Le Labo Rose 31. Not controversial, per se, but the cumin note provides a bit of intrigue.

Of course, many Creeds are controversial, but not for the reasons you described!
    Last edited by Snafoo; 7th March 2009 at 11:42 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

To me art and style--in dress, in perfume, in food, in writing, etc.--have a lot to do with figuring out what is true of ones thinking and identity. Some of us are led to what will look like outlandish experimentation in this pursuit. And maybe it's not as heady as I'm making it sound, but you try things on, right?, and you ask yourself "can I wear this plausibly?" Or you ask, "what does this bring out in me?" And the answers reveal something about the perfume (or whatever else) and also something about the I in question.
    There are certainly controversies, or something like that, that arise because certain perfumes gross people out. Kouros is one traditional subject of the arguments about whether perfumes should be pleasant or whether an important dimension of perfumery as an art form is that it be able to allude to what isn't pleasant or socially conventional--industrial smells, bodily smells, the smells of nature taken neat, smells that cause something near disgust or near pain, etc.
    The other discussion in which feelings get hurt has to do with something connected to gender identity, whether it means anything to smell like a man, about male versus female fragrances, and with whether some men can accept themselves or accept other men when they manifest something like a feminine side. Dior Homme comes up often in this respect. And it would be worth looking at the recent thread about the top five feminines that every perfume loving, red blooded man should try. Lots of cool suggestions there that get at an important and interesting controversy.

TwoRoads, thank you for the excellent list. I had lots of fun looking them all up and reading the reviews last night, and I've added most of them to my list. As an aside, I've tried Dzongkha. I found it to be cool, haughty, and distant, rather intellectual. Certainly not dirty, provocative, or even sensual. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes!

This is one of my favorite subjects! Please try:
    Kouros
    Parfum d'Habit
    L'Anarchiste
    Musk Ghazelle
    Kiehl's Original Musk Oil (not the EdT)
    Shocking (vintage)
    Knize Ten
    Kolnisch Juchten (Parfums Regence)
    Cabochard
    Bandit
    Nostalgia
    Tar
    Garage
    Dzongkha
    Castoreum (La Via del Profumo)
    Miel de Bois (my apologies to tang, I was editing this post and didn't see hers until I posted. BTW, I love it)

Thanks for the list, Vibert. I was glad to see you mention Tubéreuse Criminelle; it's one that had slipped my mind. I've been rather intrigued by tuberose based on what I've read. In that vein, I've also read about jasmine sometimes being "skanky" or "dirty." Could you or someone else recommend a jasmine scent that would belong on this list?

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Always happy to wear provocative scents myself, I'll try to add to TwoRoads' list:

Charogne
    Nuit Noire
    Amouage Gold for Men
    Aoud Cuir d'Arabie
    Black Aoud
    Baïme
    Tubéreuse Criminelle
    Eau d'Hermès
    Idole
    Intrigant Patchouli
    L'Autre
    Route du Vétiver

Thanks to everyone for all the excellent discussion so far! I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab fragrances. Are they really as Gothic horror as they make them out to be? There are hardly any reviews here on Basenotes.

Oh, the reason Jicky gets the skankalator going for some people is because of the civet in it. I do find that if I'm heavy-handed with the edp I am a little bit hard to live with for a while. But hey, it's just a smell, it washes off!

And I love Dzing! To me it smells just like a horse stable, with the sweaty horse and dung and lots of leather.

Nukapai just commented on 31 Rue Cambon in today's SnS thread and said it was so skanky in the topnotes it made her blush. Oooh! So that's a must-try then!

And I found Dioressence to have a similarly 'blimey!' opening blast of, well, I can't put it any other way than bodily fluids. Good but very mucky to start.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729
    Currently wearing: Diorling by Christian Dior

M7 (Sweet Oud)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Oh, the reason Jicky gets the skankalator going for some people is because of the civet in it. I do find that if I'm heavy-handed with the edp I am a little bit hard to live with for a while. But hey, it's just a smell, it washes off!
    LOL! Jicky is very mildly skanky on me. Skank lite. The Diet Coke of skank. It smells juniper-y to me, above all. I was going to say it has cat in it, but civet isn't a member of that family, right?
    Currently wearing: Arpège by Lanvin

I second both TwoRoads and Vibert's lists, and will add.

Civet Tincture ( TwoRoads suggested - appropriately - the castoreum, but this is ranker and more animal to my nose )
    Rasa Extreme ( THE most animal fragrance - makes MKK look pretty )
    Kretek ( clove and tobacco bomb )
    Burning Leaves ( smells like that sounds )
    Lonestar Memories ( MEAT )
    Velvet Gardenia ( flowers, and cheese, and HORROR )
    Fracas ( death by aldehydes )

Thanks for the list, Vibert. I was glad to see you mention Tubéreuse Criminelle; it's one that had slipped my mind. I've been rather intrigued by tuberose based on what I've read. In that vein, I've also read about jasmine sometimes being "skanky" or "dirty." Could you or someone else recommend a jasmine scent that would belong on this list?
    Jasmin Et Cigarette, a hyper-skanky jasmine and ashtray fragrance.

Galamb_Borong, thanks for the interesting list. I'm running out the door at the moment but I will have fun researching those later! I just wanted to ask if it is possible to get samples of Profumo's animal tinctures. I looked at the website and I saw that they come in 16ml bottles and are insanely expensive. My (morbid?) curiosity doesn't extend quite that far, but I'd love to get my hands on some 1ml samples!

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I second both TwoRoads and Vibert's lists, and will add.

Civet Tincture ( TwoRoads suggested - appropriately - the castoreum, but this is ranker and more animal to my nose )
    Rasa Extreme ( THE most animal fragrance - makes MKK look pretty )
    Kretek ( clove and tobacco bomb )
    Burning Leaves ( smells like that sounds )
    Lonestar Memories ( MEAT )
    Velvet Gardenia ( flowers, and cheese, and HORROR )
    Fracas ( death by aldehydes )

Jasmin Et Cigarette, a hyper-skanky jasmine and ashtray fragrance.

Nobody mentioned A*Men yet?

Dependent

La Via del Profumo Civet Tincture makes MKK look like a scent for wussies.
    Currently wearing: Pohadka by YS Uzac

TwoRoads, thank you for the excellent list. I had lots of fun looking them all up and reading the reviews last night, and I've added most of them to my list. As an aside, I've tried Dzongkha. I found it to be cool, haughty, and distant, rather intellectual. Certainly not dirty, provocative, or even sensual. Am I missing something?
    Your decription is apt, I don't think you are missing anything. I included Dzongkha for the "controversial" aspect, it is definitely a love or hate it scent.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Off-Scenter

For "skanky" jasmine, there's always Serge Lutens's indolic À la Nuit. Une Fleur de Cassie is also heavy on the indolic florals and has that perversely attractive, slightly "soiled" feeling about it. Other animalic scents I'd recommend are Ungaro II and Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Jardin du Nil.

Thanks to everyone for all the excellent discussion so far! I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab fragrances. Are they really as Gothic horror as they make them out to be? There are hardly any reviews here on Basenotes.
    I've had a little bit of experience with BPAL scents. I'm sure you have noticed that they have over 600 fragrances listed! I've recently been through a lot of about 80 samples, and my opinions are strictly based on those. They are NOT at all Gothic horror--the names might be, and I love to read the website and descriptions, but the scents are not terribly controversial. BPAL fragrances are oil based, they tend to be on the sweet side, and they have a certain heavy gothic-ness about them for sure, but within the group I tested there were several nice citrus scents, a couple of pretty rosey florals, and a few pleasing gourmands. Nothing stood out as a must have, and I don't think I reviewed any of them (no time!). But see for yourself. It might be fun to try to get some lots off of eBay or order a selection of imps from the website (the imps are the sample vials).
    Have fun, and thanks for this thread. It's very interesting, and I will be following along!

Oh and let's add Vrai Blonde from ELDO to your list. To me, really smelly (slightly burned?) plastic.

I Hate Perfume Musk Re-invented is oily, skanky, just about unwearable as a perfume and is a must-try for anyone seeking out fragrant controversy.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Nobody mentioned A*Men yet?
    No kidding. This is probably THE "love it or hate it" frag. Being the #1 most reviewed fragrance of Basenotes.net, it also has the distinction of having almost as many haters as admirers.

Blog Entries

Well A*Men is divisive, she's looking for animalic. There aren't any animalic notes in A*Men which is why I didn't bother with it.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab fragrances. Are they really as Gothic horror as they make them out to be?
    At perfume oil strength, Stormhold is an Irish Spring horror

It's worth checking out BPAL's discussion forum to see what their own community says about the various oils. In some cases, there's a bit of disagreement as to just what went into some of the blends. You might find some that you like, while others may provide an example of how some fragrance materials mix and match. Besides, it could be fun to try a side-by-side comparison of (for example) how iris is used in Infusion d'Iris and The Ghost.

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune is often described as having a BO or cat pee-like accord. A wonderful take on grapefruit with some depth and audacity.