Code of Conduct

Default Histoires de Parfums: mindless rantings on Noir Patchouli, 1740, 1828 & 1725

Histoires de Parfums: Noir Patchouli
    Noir Patchouli isnt our typical earthy, resinous, gritty patchouli based scent; it's no intrigrant patchouli or a Thundra, No; in that it does'nt come across as mud. it's more of a celebration and it celebrates with a wonderful melange of spices and floral bouquet (mainly rose)under the soft breath of patchouli and mainly vanilla. it gives off a very victorian feel. it's like Penhaligons doing Villoresi Musk kinda accord. i guess what i really want to say is, it has a very powdery rich, patch/vanillic feel to it which is bewitching to say the least. if you love the smell of spices (barks) tightly integrated with carnation on a lovey mids of musc and vanilla, then, this is it.

Histoires de Parfums: 1740
    sweet, slightly spicy and plum like notes melts in to a lovely note of leather which (almost immediately) remind you of Parfums d'Empire's massive release, Ambre Russe. notes soften up pretty quick and lingers close to the skin. smooth notes of leather melts into a lovely and faint note of immortelle and thats pretty much it i'm afraid (at least on my skin). ofcourse, those who felt Ambre Russe is pretty strong and like scents like Cuir d'Iris by Parfumeire Generale, this would be ideal for them. by no means it's a bad scent. however, i felt it didnt deliver as expected. maybe they need to tweak some notes(immortelle?) in there.

Histoires de Parfums: 1828
    accords are so darn familiar; the closest reference however is, french lover by Malle. lovely, dense accord of green notes (not as juicy as French lover). vetiver & cedre with the right mix of resinous incense adds to the overall beauty from mids to base. An interesting green scent which is quite easy and mesmerising to wear. i wouldnt hesitate to buy this one. beautiful scent!

Histoires de Parfums: 1725
    1725 is deemed to be a cult fragrance...in time. a classic fougere done so well. 1725 wastes no time and gets straight in the mids-base accords after the intial opening accords of citrus and fruity notes. towards the mids. powdery notes of lavender melts in to an ink like note warmed on a glowing base of vanilla, ambre & leather. Though this scent may seem linear, i felt it has a unique character to it..the sillage is mesmerising and a kind which envelopes the wearer. for a very broad reference..this is how MPG would interpret Dior Homme while they were composing Iris Bleu Gris or a Parfum d'Habit. .

Bottomline, a very unique fragrance house which cannot be dismissed with one sampling session. sooo, for me, except for 1740 & 1828(from the full bottle perspective and other offerings in market), i feel really good about Noir Patchouli & 1725...and i still havent tested 114(which is revered here on Basenotes). i'd say, go for Histoires de Parfums!! it's a unique line with a really gifted perfumer.

p.s. a Big A$$'ed thanks to Grant and Histoires de Parfums for this free sample program.

For their entire range: http://www.histoiresdeparfums.com/10...COLLECTION.php
    Last edited by jenson; 12th March 2010 at 07:16 AM.

Default Re: Histoires de Parfums: mindless rantings on Noir Patchouli, 1740, 1828 & 1725

Great notes! Like you, I was enchanted with Noir Patchouli, and I received my 100ml bottle in the old packaging just the other day. It is surprisingly 'old-school' patchouli on initial application, but it calms down beautifully and has an 6+-hour drydown that is mesmerizing. I found all four of the scents sent to me to be of wonderful quality.
    Last edited by wicozani; 7th March 2009 at 01:13 AM.

Default Re: Histoires de Parfums: mindless rantings on Noir Patchouli, 1740, 1828 & 1725

Great reviews. I don't know what others came with those samples, but if you get a chance you should really try the 1826 (also rose/patchouli), 1969 Parfum de Revlote, Ambre 114, and Blanc Violette. They're all really good.

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    It is surprisingly 'old-school' patchouli on initial application, but it calms down beautifully and has an 6+-hour drydown that is mesmerizing. I found all four of the scents sent to me to be of wonderful quality.
    old school - thats the word i was looking for Thnx!

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Great reviews. I don't know what others came with those samples, but if you get a chance you should really try the 1826 (also rose/patchouli), 1969 Parfum de Revlote, Ambre 114, and Blanc Violette. They're all really good.
    Thnx for your time bbBD! well, i just got the four i mentioned above...i was really hoping to see a sample of 114...ahh well

Wow. I LOVE patchouli, but at 185 dollars a bottle, how noir is it? Black tar heroin costs less per ounce.

Quote Originally Posted by scentaddiction View Post
    Wow. I LOVE patchouli, but at 185 dollars a bottle, how noir is it? Black tar heroin costs less per ounce.
    But its a lot less likely to mess up your veins, and you don't throw up after using patchouli.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Smile Re: Histoires de Parfums: mindless rantings on Noir Patchouli, 1740, 1828 & 1725

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    But its a lot less likely to mess up your veins, and you don't throw up after using patchouli.
    Well, since we've often talked about price per ounce...that's $185 for 4 ounces ($46/oz). Compared to Profumum's $240 for 3.4 ($77/oz) or Serge Lutens $120 for 1.7. (same as Profumum). Jalaine Patchouli (which is my favorite is $150 for 8 ml of oil. Yikes!
    My problem is that I have a problem fininshing up even a 30 ml bottle of fragrance since there are always more to try around the corner, so purchasing 4 ounces of something doesn't make sense unless I have extra cash, or friends who want to split.

I like Noir Patchouli, btw, but it's not my favorite patchouli or even in my top 5. Still I think it's nicely done.

Basenotes Institution

Noir Patchouli is just so proper - it's perhaps the lightest patchouli scent I've ever encountered. Sort of like Tom Ford's White Patchouli with the rose note removed. Strange. I'm not sure I like this.

So far, 1740, the notorious Marquis de Sade, is my #1 choice from the HdP line. It shares the big immortelle note with Sables, one of my all time favorites from Goutal.

1725 (vintage) is the best of the lot. I enjoyed the idea of 1740 but on my skin, it was cloying to the nth degree.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    So far, 1740, the notorious Marquis de Sade, is my #1 choice from the HdP line. It shares the big immortelle note with Sables, one of my all time favorites from Goutal.
    I totally agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Perhaps due to the more complex blending with labdanum, I don't find the immortelle in 1740 quite as distinctive (some say 'intrusive') as that of Sables. But 1740 is one of my favorites from this house along with 1725, 1969 and Ambre 114. I'm only beginning to enjoy Noir Patchouli (hardly noir IMO but rather dandy) and still coming to grips with 1828...

Btw does anyone else notice the similarity between 1876 and McQueen's Kingdom? I think it could be the rose/cumin floral-animalic combo...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 12th March 2010 at 05:29 PM.

Very interesting comments, jenson. I only have experience with 1828. Looking at your BN review, it appears that it has grown in your estimation. The range of opinions on 1828 is interesting. Some find it really green; others, myself included, find it a bit sweet with a potentially heavy ambery-patchouli base. Certainly in comparison with the dry and quietly austere French Lover (Bois D'Orage) it seems sweeter. I need to revisit 1828. On paper it looked good, but I wasn't wowed.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

1740 is my favorite of the line - I've actually gotten more, and more aggressive (a good thing!), compliments when I've worn it. Almost every time.

I really have enjoyed many of the others from the line as well, but the price is definitely a bit prohibitive to have many.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!