Code of Conduct

Default I need your help in finding fragrances for all occasions

Hello basenoters. I'm new here (and to fragrances too), so I really need your advice. I'm sorry for the long post, I hope you'll have the patience to read it.

I need about four fragrances. Two for daywear (one for summer and one for winter) and two for going out (also, one for summer and one for winter). I know that this system is oversimplified, but I really can't afford any more than that and I want to cover all the possible situations. Unfortunately, I have to "blind buy" over the internet. I know it's stupid, but I live in a small town in a small country and most of the good stuff is just not available here.

Basically, what I'm looking for in the "day" fragrances is versatility. I want to be able to wear them for both hanging out with friends, and for work, something I'd be comfortable wearing in every situation. So, nothing too risky, but nothing too formal either.

What I'm looking for in the "clubbing/dating" fragrances is sex appeal. I mean, lets be honest, I wouldn't be wasting my money in clubs if it wasn't for the girls. So, girls aged 20-25 have to like it too. From what I've noticed, girls that age seem to like sweet fragrances (Givenchy Pi seems pretty popular, and also stuff like Joop, Black XS and Le Male). Let me just say that I've read the thread in the women's section and I understand that no perfume is magical and liked universally and no perfume will get me laid by itself. I'm not looking for that, I just want something to enhance the wardrobe.

So, here it is:

summer fragrance for daywear - thinking about bulgari aqva. From what I can read it's fresh and inoffensive. But what I want to know is if it fits my age.

summer fragrance for clubbing/dating - Maybe Issey Miyake? I read a lot of reviews, but I'm not sure if it's more of a "day" or a "night" fragrance. Is it too similar to Bulgari aqua? Is it sexy/romantic enough for going out?

winter fragrance for daywear - No ideas, still looking for it.

winter fragrance for clubbing/dating From what I've read I'm thinking about Body Kouros. Also, Givenchy Pi is a possibility, maybe even Rochas Man or Lolita Lempicka. I've never used a gourmand before though, so I'm not sure if I'll like them that much. If you have any non-gourmand ideas, I'm open to those too.

And please keep in mind that I'm a 24 year old male and I want something appropriate for my age. I know you guys have a very refined taste, but refined is not something that
    I'm necessarily after. Also, I don't have too much money, 50-60 dollars is the upper limit (30-40 sounds better). One more thing, the summers in my country can be extremely hot, and the winters very cold.

I’d really appreciate all of your suggestions. Thanks.
    Last edited by Marskyx; 7th March 2009 at 09:32 PM.

Default Re: I need your help in finding fragrances for all occasions

Welcome Markskyx!

Accessible age and cost-appropriate options you may wish to consider are:

summer fragrance for daywear Jil Sander Sun Men, Thierry Mugler Cologne, RancÚ 1795 Le Vainqueur

summer fragrance for clubbing/dating YSL L'Homme, Acqua di Parma Colognia Intensa

winter fragrance for daywear Burberry London, Zara Ambar, Czech & Speake Citrus Paradisi

winter fragrance for clubbing/dating Paloma Picasso Minotaure, YSL M7, Molinard Pour Homme II, Narciso Rodriguez For Him
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 7th March 2009 at 09:44 PM.

summer daywear, id go with Aqua. Its the best designer aquatic out there hands down, and trounces issey any day of the week. Issey is too nineties.

summer clubbing, ill echo dmitri's suggestion of YSL l'homme. Its smooth, not too sweet, and a bit more dressed up.

I personally dont like gourmands or sweet scents, since they are decidedly un-masculine (girls-sugar/spice/everything nice :P) and quite frankly I have yet to meet a girl that prefers sweet/gourmand scents on men. I always wear fresher/citrus/more masculine (woods/spices on occasion) scents, and all I've ever gotten was complements. In the end, it's up to your taste, but if you are going for something with the most universal appeal, sweet gourmands would definitely not be part of that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Welcome Markskyx!

summer fragrance for daywear Jil Sander Sun Men, Thierry Mugler Cologne, RancÚ 1795 Le Vainqueur
    Thanks for your suggestions, Dimitri. One thing I forgot to mention is that my online order has to be through Amazon.com (I have money on the amazon payment balance which I can't transfer, but have to spend on the site). Amazon itself doesn't send fragrances to my country, but I've found a seller with good ratings and cheap prices and shipping. Unfortunately, at the moment that particular seller doesn't have any of the summer fragrances you recommended, even though Thiery Mugler Cologne seems interesting.

summer fragrance for clubbing/dating YSL L'Homme, Acqua di Parma Colognia Intensa
    YSL L'Homme seems like something I'd like. Some of the reviews here describe it as "boring", but then again I guess basenoters have different standards. What I like about it is that it seems to be fresh enough for the summer without being an aquatic (which I'll already have if I order Bulgari aqua) and also suitable for going out. The reviews at sephora.com are great as well.

winter fragrance for daywear Burberry London, Zara Ambar, Czech & Speake Citrus Paradisi
    Burberry London seems interesting. Can it be worn at work?

winter fragrance for clubbing/dating Paloma Picasso Minotaure, YSL M7, Molinard Pour Homme II, Narciso Rodriguez For Him
    Paloma Picasso Minotaure caught my attention. I'll definately have it in mind. The reviews for the rest (especially Narciso Rodriguez) are very divided, so I'd have to try them first, though I doubt that the stores here have Narciso Rodriguez and MPH II.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
    Last edited by Marskyx; 8th March 2009 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    summer daywear, id go with Aqua. Its the best designer aquatic out there hands down, and trounces issey any day of the week. Issey is too nineties.

summer clubbing, ill echo dmitri's suggestion of YSL l'homme. Its smooth, not too sweet, and a bit more dressed up.
    Thanks for the suggestions. So far it's Bulgari Aqua and YLS L'homme for the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    I personally dont like gourmands or sweet scents, since they are decidedly un-masculine (girls-sugar/spice/everything nice :P) and quite frankly I have yet to meet a girl that prefers sweet/gourmand scents on men. I always wear fresher/citrus/more masculine (woods/spices on occasion) scents, and all I've ever gotten was complements. In the end, it's up to your taste, but if you are going for something with the most universal appeal, sweet gourmands would definitely not be part of that category.
    That was the impression I got from the thread in the women's section (Givenchy Pi seems to be one of the favorites) and from talking to some girl friends of mine. Since I'm such a novice at this, it can certainly be a wrong impression. Can you please suggest something for going out during the winter?

Tommorow I'll go out and try to find some of yours and Dimitri's suggestions.

In the meantime, if anyone else has other recommendations, keep them coming. Thanks to everyone.