Code of Conduct

Thread: Anvers 2

Default Anvers 2

Anvers 2, by Ulrich Lang. I've herad very positive comments about this one, and the basenoters reviews are equally good and a bit "enigmatic". Also Luca Turin gives it 4 stars. But it's an expensive fragance and I would like to know more reviews... do you know it?

Default Re: Anvers 2

Honestly, I only sampled it once but found it very, very average. Like a typical modern-masculine 'fresh/aquatic' but with much better materials. Don't blind buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Honestly, I only sampled it once but found it very, very average. Like a typical modern-masculine 'fresh/aquatic' but with much better materials. Don't blind buy it.
    I agree don't blind buy it, but I have to respectfully disagree with ya' bbBD. I don't find it a typical "fresh/aquatic" at all. I find it to be a sort of average fruity herbal-suede thing. Not that interesting, sort of muted. But it is better quality than typical designer stuff, just not interesting enough to warrant a purchase IMO.

I wore 8 sprays of this yesterday. Very nice scent. I got my bottle in a swap. I'd never pay full retail for it, though. It's a little like Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme on me. Throw in a bit of Burberry Classic for Men, and there you have it.

I would highly recommend that you test it - it is a great fragrance. Complex, long-lasting, not too aggressive - suitable for office wear or casual wear. I think there are some parallels with The Dreamer by Versace - only Anvers2 is a lot more "well mannered" and less odd. Good, high-quality juice.

Teddius

Off-Scenter

How funny you should ask. I'm drafting a review this evening, but I'm going to need at least one more wearing before I pin it down completely. It is a complex, subtle, and extremely well crafted fragrance, similar in mood, if not actual scent, to Jil Sander's Scent 79 for Men and Ormonde Man.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 10th March 2009 at 02:11 AM.

By coincidence I was reading blurbs on Anvers and Anvers 2 just this afternoon. I look forward to further discussion.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I agree don't blind buy it, but I have to respectfully disagree with ya' bbBD. I don't find it a typical "fresh/aquatic" at all. I find it to be a sort of average fruity herbal-suede thing. Not that interesting, sort of muted. But it is better quality than typical designer stuff, just not interesting enough to warrant a purchase IMO.
    I have to disagree with both of you mtgprox05 and bbBD.
    First of all maybe bbBD got confused speaking about Anvers: it's not an acquatic itself but smells fresher than Anvers 2.
    Anyway Anvers 2 is not an acquatic, nor a suede scent. Also Turin describes it having a leathery vibe but I don't find leather in it at all.
    Anvers 2 starts off with a green, energizing splash of herbal notes with a slightly floral mimosa leading it, then the heart becomes warmer and more aromatic with rhubarb giving it a more aromatic side.
    While mimosa and rhubarb keep going on the scent warms up and the more oriental basenote appears blending light woods, vanilla and mossy and more powdery notes with a touch of musk.
    The whole image is a modern masculine comfort scent well balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    How funny you should ask. I'm drafting a review this evening, but I'm going to need at least one more wearing before I pin it down completely. It is a complex, subtle, and extremely well crafted fragrance, similar in mood, if not actual scent, to Jil Sander's Scent 79 Man and Ormonde Man.
    Really? Ok you convinced me to dig my sample up and give it another go. Ormonde Man is an absolute favorite of mine. I found Anvers 2 to be sort of boring, but hopefully I'll change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    I have to disagree with both of you mtgprox05 and bbBD.
    First of all maybe bbBD got confused speaking about Anvers: it's not an acquatic itself but smells fresher than Anvers 2.
    Anyway Anvers 2 is not an acquatic, nor a suede scent. Also Turin describes it having a leathery vibe but I don't find leather in it at all.
    Anvers 2 starts off with a green, energizing splash of herbal notes with a slightly floral mimosa leading it, then the heart becomes warmer and more aromatic with rhubarb giving it a more aromatic side.
    While mimosa and rhubarb keep going on the scent warms up and the more oriental basenote appears blending light woods, vanilla and mossy and more powdery notes with a touch of musk.
    The whole image is a modern masculine comfort scent well balanced.
    Ok,ok. You and Vibert have convinced me. I'm going to give it another try. Thanks guys.

Off-Scenter

OK, I've just posted the review to the Directory.

I enjoyed the first Anvers a lot more...not a huge fan of the second one.

I'm smelling Anvers 2 this very moment: an herbal-floral of exquisite poise and construction. It's the first time I've actually enjoyed lily in a fragrance too (might have something to with its integration into the heart instead of the top).

Admittedly people will probably write it off as your standard-fare sheer masculine from passing its wearer, but the truth is it's just so much better than that.
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 4th August 2009 at 10:27 AM.

Resurrecting a 2 year old thread, but I just had to do a search to see what others thought about this. Today I decided to break out my sample of Anvers 2 again, as it's been probably close to a year since my last wearing. I completely forgot just how good this is! I guess now I need to test Ormonde Man and Scent 79 Man since Off-scenter did a comparison to those. Anvers 2 isn't necessarily strange or unique for any reason, just a super solid scent that is extremely comforting.