Code of Conduct

Default The smell of the First Day of School

Perhaps I'm getting a little ahead of myself but I'm ready for summer to end and fall to begin. The stores are all advertising back to school specials and I can already anticipate the cooler weather, pants and sweaters, football, a holiday every month, the changing colors of the leaves and the first day of school.

Does anyone remember that smell? Not just any smell, not the smell from graduate school or even high school but that smell from say fourth grade - I have no idea what those smells were - but it was the smell of "the first day of school."

What - if anything - could smell like that? Demeter? Brosius? I'd love to hear your suggestions.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Default Re: The smell of the First Day of School

Tommy and escape always reminded me of the first day of school.

Freshman by Truefitt & Hill.

*sigh*

Cbstarker, I feel like you've read my mind with this thread. I tried to post an eerily similar thread the other day on the female discussion board but kept getting a weird error message saying "fatal error" and "this is too long" or something. This is too trippy!

To answer your question, Aimez Moi reminds me of a foggy fall morning- and the sweet scent you carry when you come in from the cold ... Like first day jitters and rekindled friendships ... Like a fresh new start at the same old school.

*tiptoeing back to the ladies' side*
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Post Thanks / Like

Gucci Pour Homme

Here's "username's" review from the directory, which I think you might appreciate. It's one of my favorite reviews on Basenotes because I can relate.. almost word for word.

"Years after completing grade school, the month of September had a hold on my psyche like none other. Not because the school year always started in September for me, but more so the smell of crispness in the air mixed with the anxious urge to wear slightly out-of-season, stylish, more heavier clothing. September was alive with energy. The energy of a new year, new priorities, new methods and materials to organize these priorities...notebooks, papers, pencils, and ideas. Gucci Pour Homme personifies this. September-October in a bottle. It took me 10 years out of college to let September be just another month. But, GPH engulfs me in my rendition of September like a crisp northeastern autumn day full bright faces and new ideas."

If you haven't already, you should give it a try. I think it's what your looking for.

Pharos by Alain Delon

Post Thanks / Like

What a nice Thread, I also feel overcome by those feelings every August / September / October.

I'm a fall kind of guy myself. My birthday is in September so I always feel superspecial around that time. When I was in school , every summer I would by a new fragrance to start the new school year off right. But now that I'm older fall brings to mind. Leaves changing, temperatures dropping, love in the air. I always wear Burberry . The original. Gold one. So amazing. Ahhhhh nostalgia. Shalom

Post Thanks / Like

I also came in here to post Gucci Pour Homme.

Post Thanks / Like

I can only really think of the smells of autumn.. decomposing leaves, cold rain/crisp air and especially smoke from the farmers burning crop stubble. So an earthy/smokey/dark green with a touch of "fresh" that I always felt at the start of a new school year.

It was always a depressing time for me in a lot of ways, watching summer fade away and missing the lazy days sitting in the sun drinking lemonade after cutting the lawn.

Edit: I can't think of a particular scent that would fit the bill.. just thought I would add my two cents to the imagery and emotion.
    Last edited by AnthonyDG; 1st August 2009 at 03:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The first morning of schools frequently seems to be damp and slightly misty. A bit of cool air and morning dew.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    I can only really think of the smells of autumn.. decomposing leaves, cold rain/crisp air and especially smoke from the farmers burning crop stubble. So an earthy/smokey/dark green with a touch of "fresh" that I always felt at the start of a new school year.

It was always a depressing time for me in a lot of ways, watching summer fade away and missing the lazy days sitting in the sun drinking lemonade after cutting the lawn.

Edit: I can't think of a particular scent that would fit the bill.. just thought I would add my two cents to the imagery and emotion.

I feel the same way. I kind of like Terre D'Hermes in the fall for the earthiness yet crispness of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent, yes! I like how TdH has the bright citrus/tangerine that turns out not to really be all that bright and cheery - with the earthiness and woods.

I thought of Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendeep View Post
    I feel the same way. I kind of like Terre D'Hermes in the fall for the earthiness yet crispness of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    Gucci Pour Homme

Here's "username's" review from the directory, which I think you might appreciate. It's one of my favorite reviews on Basenotes because I can relate.. almost word for word.

"Years after completing grade school, the month of September had a hold on my psyche like none other. Not because the school year always started in September for me, but more so the smell of crispness in the air mixed with the anxious urge to wear slightly out-of-season, stylish, more heavier clothing. September was alive with energy. The energy of a new year, new priorities, new methods and materials to organize these priorities...notebooks, papers, pencils, and ideas. Gucci Pour Homme personifies this. September-October in a bottle. It took me 10 years out of college to let September be just another month. But, GPH engulfs me in my rendition of September like a crisp northeastern autumn day full bright faces and new ideas."

If you haven't already, you should give it a try. I think it's what your looking for.
    I feel this way about Gucci pour Homme as well. The smells of Autumn are in Gucci pour Homme for me....of course, autumn being always associated with school for me. Very nice fragrance indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Oxford & Cambridge by Czech and Speake. I've been wearing a sample of this all day. It is sooooooo classic preppy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Oxford & Cambridge by Czech and Speake. I've been wearing a sample of this all day. It is sooooooo classic preppy.
    perfect
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Gucci 1976 or 2003???

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    Gucci Pour Homme

None of the ladies will answer my question

Anyone know a female frag which smells like the first day of school?
    Come answer my back to school thread on the female board. (Hehe)

No, I didn't copy CB's thread- he read my mind.
    Tried to post the other day but turns out the subject line was too long.
    So I finally reposted today. Or maybe I'd read CB's mind. Whichever.

How about Concentree D'Orange Verte? Seems very first dayish to me.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Post Thanks / Like

My recollection is bus diesel and glue paste. Also the kid who never bathed who ends up sitting near you because your last names happen to begin with the same letter.
    Last edited by adonis; 2nd August 2009 at 01:43 AM.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    also the kid who never bathed who ends up sitting near you because your last names happen to begin with the same letter. :d

This is funny!
    Last edited by MFJ; 2nd August 2009 at 01:58 AM.

It will always be my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Nolan and her powdery Chanel No. 5.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 2nd August 2009 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklibran1 View Post
    I'm a fall kind of guy myself. My birthday is in September so I always feel superspecial around that time. When I was in school , every summer I would by a new fragrance to start the new school year off right. But now that I'm older fall brings to mind. Leaves changing, temperatures dropping, love in the air. I always wear Burberry . The original. Gold one. So amazing. Ahhhhh nostalgia. Shalom
    OMG, Your right Burberry does smell like the first day of school... sigh... I'm gonna have to get some tomorrow now...
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by michael picasso View Post
    gucci 1976 or 2003???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    What he said.

The smell of freshly sharpened pencils always remind me of the first day of school.

What kind of wood are they made of? Any fragrances that had a similar note would be a good "First day of school" scent.
    Last edited by Serendeep; 2nd August 2009 at 10:37 PM.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

The smell of freshly sharpened pencils always remind me of the first day of school.

What kind of wood are they made of? Any fragrances that had a similar note would be a good "First day of school" scent.
    there was a mention of pencil shavings note in the female thread http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=233355

Post Thanks / Like

According to Parfums Raffy, Creed's Original Santal has "red pencil cedar" from Virginia. Not sure if I've picked up on this note while wearing OS, but that's a start.

I think the 2003 Gucci is much, much closer though.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    there was a mention of pencil shavings note in the female thread http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=233355

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

According to Parfums Raffy, Creed's Original Santal has "red pencil cedar" from Virginia. Not sure if I've picked up on this note while wearing OS, but that's a start.

I think the 2003 Gucci is much, much closer though.

Hey AnthonyDG thanks for letting me know, I have a bottle of Original Santal, but have never paid enough attention to detect that particular note(not that I'm sure what the "red pencil cedar" note smells like to begin with LOL). shows how much I actually know my personal fragrances ha! I will wear it again soon and try to detect anything close to pencil
    Last edited by MFJ; 2nd August 2009 at 11:39 PM.

If anybody could do it, Brosius could. But I don't think he's tried this topic.

I just want through his perfume shop, and wondered what would be done with the following:

Perfumes:
    In the Library
    Burning Leaves

Accords:
    Celo Tape
    Crayon
    English Novel
    Graham Cracker
    Ink
    Leather (New Shoes)
    Pine (Saw Mill) (For the pencil shavings. Or maybe a cedar instead.)
    Rubber Cement
    Wet Mitten

How about a combination of In The Library, cedar, and Celo Tape?

Crayfish
    Last edited by Crayfish; 2nd August 2009 at 11:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Gucci PH 2
    Burberry London

I get a little bit of that too, but the nostalgia is different. I'm after that butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling I used to get back in elementary school and that smell I would get upon entry to school after a long hot summer. It's the smell of school that was the usher to a new school year, the first to greet you as the year began.

The smells you describe - burning leaves, etc. come to me in CdG 2 Man. Also in Timbuktu or Le Labo Vetyver but less so.

You must not live in the South! Here, autumn means the mosquitos are on the way out (who cares where) and it is actually pleasant enough to sit outside. The lawn needs cutting less, which leaves more time for gin and tonics in the hammock. The summer is brutal here, jungle law prevails. Autumn brings a little order to leisure life!
    Last edited by cbstarker; 3rd August 2009 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crayfish View Post
    If anybody could do it, Brosius could. But I don't think he's tried this topic.
    Do ya think we could persuade him to champion a new fragrance? I think there's some potential here. It might be a seasonal but at least one can always depend on the seasons to come back around.

Excellent responese, All. Looks I will make a venture to my nearest department store to sample Gucci Pour Homme, I have yet to try it. Also, I have a sample of Terre d'Hermes coming and a sample of Oxford & Cambridge in the drawer (don't ask). Of all the suggestions, these three are nearby or readily available. Thanks again.

What's going on with Brosius? Is he alreay working on this?

Quote Originally Posted by cbstarker View Post
    Do ya think we could persuade him to champion a new fragrance? I think there's some potential here. It might be a seasonal but at least one can always depend on the seasons to come back around.
    Ask him! Ask him!

Crayfish

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering if some of the suggestions are a little bit "complex" and wouldn't evoke that simplicity/exciting feeling of a new school year. To me it was a mix of that and melancholy feelings of watching summer fade away... maybe Gris Clair could be a contender?

I get a little bit of that too, but the nostalgia is different. I'm after that butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling I used to get back in elementary school and that smell I would get upon entry to school after a long hot summer. It's the smell of school that was the usher to a new school year, the first to greet you as the year began.

The smells you describe - burning leaves, etc. come to me in CdG 2 Man. Also in Timbuktu or Le Labo Vetyver but less so.
    I grew up in Midwestern Canada where we would have 4 very defined seasons.. but the most defined of all seemed to be the cold one LOL. Now that I'm on the west coast I'm happy with the way summer exits gracefully - the evenings get a bit cooler and snow doesn't come at the end of October.

Gin and tonics in the hammock is what I've been doing lately and I gotta tell you - it's rough

You must not live in the South! Here, autumn means the mosquitos are on the way out (who cares where) and it is actually pleasant enough to sit outside. The lawn needs cutting less, which leaves more time for gin and tonics in the hammock. The summer is brutal here, jungle law prevails. Autumn brings a little order to leisure life!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure either! I was rather surprised to see it listed in the notes of OS. I don't get a whole lot of woods in OS, especially in the opening.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Hey AnthonyDG thanks for letting me know, I have a bottle of Original Santal, but have never paid enough attention to detect that particular note(not that I'm sure what the "red pencil cedar" note smells like to begin with LOL). shows how much I actually know my personal fragrances ha! I will wear it again soon and try to detect anything close to pencil

Escada Casual Friday takes me back to grade school-- either the last day of school before summer vacation or of going on a field trip.

Creed Neroli Sauvage makes me experience the amazing, brand-new feeling of being 10 years old again. I don't know why, but it does.

I'm 22 and still get that butterflies in the stomach feeling going back to school-
    of course I'm a total nerd but ...
    Oh, I just love this thread! :bounce:

(starting my second year of college this month)

You just described Italian Cypress! to a T !

Post Thanks / Like

Uh-oh.. check your PM's soon

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Picasso View Post
    You just described Italian Cypress! to a T !

Post Thanks / Like

Tommy Bahama smells very close to pencil wood.