Code of Conduct
    Off-Scenter

Exclamation URGENT!!! Plagiarism Issue

Today I received the following PM from a new Basenotes member:

Hi,

I'm sorry to bother you, but I thought I would bring to your attention that your reviews are being copied on another site, (Fragrantica.com). Every Friday this site gives away free perfume for members who write a first review for a fragrance. Two members, (who I'm almost certain are the same person), eu_alin1 and alin_nebun, the latter who won a prize by plagiarising, have been copying your reviews to enter into this competition. An example of your work being copied can be found here:

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/D...gree-2609.html

This member has taken extracts from your review on Chevrefeuille Original by Creed.

This in my opinion is completely unfair on you and other members on the Fragrantica website. Even more unfair when this person wins prizes for something that isn't their own work.
    Has anyone else has received a similar notice or found their material pirated on Fragrantica? A quick look reveals that at least some of my reviews have been posted as someone else's work on the Fragrantica.com site. I advise all who review fragrances regularly here to survey Fragrantica.com for pirated copies of their reviews.

It's not clear to me who (if anyone) holds the intellectual property rights to the reviews in the Basenotes directory, but it is obviously in our mutual interest to make sure that our work is not abused in this matter. I believe that the seriousness of this problem merits my violating Basenotes etiquette by posting this thread on mutiple boards.

My friends, it may be time for us to rally in the defense of our site!

(Mods please feel free to delete this thread if you deem it inappropriate.)

Default Re: URGENT!!! Plagiarism Issue

It should be easy enough for the Fragrantica people to google a line of text from their "winning" picks to see if it had been lifted from Basenotes or somewhere else.... With that contest, there's too much potential/temptation for borrowed work.

(In the U.S., copyright exists for the author "from the time a work is created in fixed form." It's automatic.)

Blog Entries

Members here can view all of the reviews by this person on fragrantica here (posting as eu_alin1) and here (as alin_nebun). There are few enough that it is easy to scan them all and see if anything looks familiar. I've already noticed two more that are posted here on BN by two different members (and sent pms to those members).
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Members here can view all of the reviews by this person on fragrantica here (posting as eu_alin1) and here (as alin_nebun). There are few enough that it is easy to scan them all and see if anything looks familiar. I've already noticed two more that are posted here on BN by two different members (and sent pms to those members).
    You go an_oud_girl!!!

Thank you for bringing this up.

How very strange indeed.

I've just emailed an_oud_girl to thank her for bringing to my attention the plagiarism of one of my reviews.

While I thought that the intellectual ownership of all reviews posted here belong to Grant, I for one will add my voice to whatever multitudes rise in protest of this activity. I've never been one to join the ranks of many movements, but Grant, you have created something which in my opinion transcends a mere internet website. If I could be of some assistance in preserving the integrity of your efforts, I am ready.

oh, and I'm actually rather miffed that the dude chose that review. sheesh. I thought there were others of better wordsmithing. harummph

Thanks An Oud Girl for pointing this out to me too. It pissed me off even more that this guy "Alin Nebun" won a free bottle in February, possibly for one of MY reviews!

Vibert, are you going to e-mail frgrantica about this issue? I already have, hopefully they will be more careful in the future about this kind of issue.

I looked at the two members' review pages. Both have terrible english--it is very easy to tell which ones they really wrote, because they are nothing like the plagiarized ones. Even more telling was one of the members who went from one-line, choppy "i tried this" reviews to long, eloquent reviews very suddenly.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    Thanks An Oud Girl for pointing this out to me too. It pissed me off even more that this guy "Alin Nebun" won a free bottle in February, possibly for one of MY reviews!

Vibert, are you going to e-mail frgrantica about this issue? I already have, hopefully they will be more careful in the future about this kind of issue.
    Done it already! Here is the reply I just received:

I am really sorry about this situation.
    We have removed that review trying to contact that member and we have
    started public discussion at our message board:

http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=1450

We clearly understand that nobody can copy even own review from
    Basenotes because once you publish something on basenotes you are not
    owner of that material. We are sorry for that incident and we are
    going to ban that member, remove his reviews.

Please, help us locate those reviews and we had no idea that something
    like that happened! We will help to basenotes, if they decide to
    prosecute that person with all data we have in our logs, time IP and
    everything we have.

We are ashamed for such a dishonorable act that happened. Thank you
    very very much for helping us clean fragrantica from such a scam!

Best regards,

Elena Knezevic
    Fragrantica Editor
    I haven't decided whether I consider this adequate or not, and have replied with a carefully worded, guarded message to the effect that Fragrantica.com is responsible for maintaining its own ethical standards and for holding its members to those standards.

I proabably have no choice but to monitor the site for further abuses, which is of course a royal pain in my flabby old rump.

Meanwhile my thanks to all of you for your support and suggestions!

I got a reply too a little while ago today, only with better grammar than the one Vibert got lol

The bright side is that they seem to care and answered our e-mails relatively fast. I'll be on the lookout for other plagiarisms on Fragrantica from now on too.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I looked at the two members' review pages. Both have terrible english--it is very easy to tell which ones they really wrote, because they are nothing like the plagiarized ones. Even more telling was one of the members who went from one-line, choppy "i tried this" reviews to long, eloquent reviews very suddenly.
    I was particularly blown away by the contrast in these two of eu_alin1's reviews:

1. this fragrance is one of mi favotite!!!why?answered is here.
    the notes of the parfum ingredients are perfect combined in a symphony
    of scents who wake up in my soul and in my mind a dream,when i open my eyes and wake up
    i realise ,this is not a dream,because my skin radiate the same scent who it was in my dream.

VS

2. Perfume transcends the intangible mystery of time. And just like the presence of the mysterious time traveler, it enters our life suddenly and disappears without warning. Perhaps this was why when I saw her I smelled a phantom breath of Eau d'Orient: a perfume that silently entered my consciousness and whose beauty I was unable to appreciate years ago because of its antiquated aldehydic moments and the vagueness of its intentions. (This was stolen from a review by Ayala Moriel on Basenotes).

Eu_alin isz now my favotite of time all reviewr!

This is really a shame, and I actually wondered about this scenario.

I'm not sure what the user agreement is on Basenotes for submitting reviews - do they become the property of Basenotes? I sure hope this plagiarism doesn't continue, but it seems like the folks at this site are taking care of it.

The talent, detail and effort that go into our reviews (excluding my paltry observations I've done for a few fragrances!) is stunning and should be protected.

Blog Entries

To: Fragrantica

Subject: All Your Basenoters Are Belong To Us

In the past I've run across my reviews more than a few times in various places on the internet (including a few translated into Spanish), but they all cited me and Basenotes so I didn't get too upset about it.

I just checked out some of the “reviews” on Fragrantica. On the third one I accessed, Trussardi Uomo, I recognized most of the language in the review done by gerco to be mine.

gerco might be my alter ego. I found some more that are essentially my reviews (this time the second, third, and forth ones, etc. I checked out) in his stable of reviews:

Escada Pour Homme.

Most of his Sander for Men is in my words.

In his Bulgari Blu Pour Homme, is my and his phrase "a piercing scent with a projectile ginger-sweet-powdery- floral-green sillage" is one of those infinite-numbers-of-monkeys-on-an-infinite-numbers-of-typewriters coincidences?

Millesime Imperial - apparently my review was good enough only to serve only as an introduction - the core of the review was by zztopp

For Millesime Tabarome he preferred Indie_Guy's review.

For my Burberry Touch review, he changed my review enough to make a "great" rating out of my "so-so" rating.

Incidently, in the interest of full disclosure, I do have a Fragrantica membership but I AM NOT (A) GERCO! Nor am I foetidus there, and I have not written any reviews for them.
    Last edited by foetidus; 8th March 2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: added information

What bothers me most is that the plagarizers are just cutting and pasting willy-nilly from Basenotes reviews regardless of the content.

Example:
    Using Vibert's Chevrefeuille Original review for Fahrenheit 32. When they don't smell alike.

Not only is that plagarism. . . it's also

just plain misinformation.

Very sad.
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

As a non native, I've got the feeling that this person cannot express his/her feelings properly in English and simply copies sentences he/she finds appropriate to describe what he/she feels.

I'm pretty sure he/she's not French speaking.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Vibert I just copied and pasted your entire Chevrefeuille Original by Creed review here on Basenotes and did a Google search with it. Interestingly enough it pops up as a near verbatim and unattributed description in threads of several 'for sale' sites for that fragrance. I would imagine that numerous Basenoter's reviews are used this way.

check out Chevrefeuille Original about midway down the page:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/10...ecants-352278/
    Last edited by kbe; 8th March 2009 at 02:10 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Vibert I just copied and pasted your entire Chevrefeuille Original by Creed review here on Basenotes and did a Google search with it. Interestingly enough it pops up as a near verbatim and unattributed description in threads of several 'for sale' sites for that fragrance. I would imagine that numerous Basenoter's reviews are used this way.
    This kind of activities have been going on for some time, a couple of years ago CoL spotted some of my reviews as sales pitches on eBay.

As annoying as it is, I always try to remind myself that "It is much more disheartening to have to steal than to be stolen from."
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Is the following statement accurate?

We clearly understand that nobody can copy even own review from Basenotes because once you publish something on basenotes you are not owner of that material.

I could look it up, but I suppose one of you would know if that is accurate.

I think its important to state that Anything you post in the reviews or message boards that is your own work, you retain the copyright on, which you can then post to anywhere else you like

By submitting it to us, they do not become our property -- you are providing Basenotes with a non-exclusive right to use them. You can still post them on your blog, book, MUA Productville or whatever.

That is horrid!
    ...just a heads up...I do post on Fragrantica as Lavandana. The reviews are more simplified and brief than the ones (4 ) that I have posted on Basenotes. I retain copies of all of them on my hard-drive as I write and edit them in 'WORD' first. Thank you all for being such vigilant reviewers!
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."