Code of Conduct

Thread: Which Samples?

Default Which Samples?

Hi,
    I'm just starting out here. Recently I've been getting into frags and really researching about them. I've only got Davidoff Adventure and 212 Sexy Men. I Like them both, although sillage could be alot better for both.

I read about websites that offer sample like theperfumedcourt.com. But I have no idea what to go for.

Could anyone offer tips on stuff that would be good for me?
    I'm 17 and mostly im looking for an everyday frag and a few really nice ones. I would like to consider Adventure my signature but the sillage tends to disagree. Maybe something along the lines of Adventure?

Thanks

Default Re: Which Samples?

Quote Originally Posted by strato View Post
    Hi,
    I read about websites that offer sample like theperfumedcourt.com. But I have no idea what to go for.
    TPC has a number of "introduction to" sample packs, which may be a decent way to expose yourself to a variety of styles you aren't familiar with yet. One of the spicy/oriental sample packs might be most interesting at the moment, but the "woody chypre" sampler has several of the fragrances you'll see mentioned over and again here.

Instead of a predefined "sampler pack", you could also look through the directory here for other fragrances that share notes with the two you currently like. For example, if you like the pepper and cedar combination of Davidoff Adventure, maybe Comme des Garçons Guerilla 1, Cerruti Image, or Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera would suit you. Or not ... after all, I haven't tried them either.

Blog Entries

Hi strato and welcome to Basenotes!

Far be it from me to argue against buying decants, but if you're near a mall or department store that carries stuff like that, you'll save a lot of money by methodically trying everything they have. Both by trying their offerings on skin and paper, and also many times they'll have prepackaged samples there that you can take home and try at your leisure.

I detect a lot of myself starting out in you (whether that's good or bad is another issue ) and one thing it took me a while to come to grips with is it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. There are thousands upon thousands of fragrances out there and unless you're an eccentric millionaire you're not going to be able to try them all. Make sure you've got your local resources completely exhausted before you start buying decants as they do get expensive quite quickly.

That said, I never tried the 212 Sexy but I did try Davidoff Adventure and I don't remember much of it other than it seemed perfectly likable at the time. Pepper and Cedar would point to Gucci Pour Homme or Gucci Envy, Ed Hardy for Men has a very nice pepper note but also uses vanilla, Juicy Couture Dirty English is a highly underrated cedar fragrance and for me is right up there with the best of them. The good news is there are a lot of fragrances that share ground with Adventure so start local with the easy to find stuff and then if you don't see anything you like look at TPC and Luckyscent.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Cool. Thanks for that. The only problem is that I'm in boarding school so hardly have time to go to town alot. Although I am off for holidays in a week, so can spend some time in the airport checking them out and also at a few shops.
    EDIT: the good thing about boarding schools is that there are so many people. I can just test their stuff.
    Last edited by strato; 10th March 2009 at 04:19 PM.