Code of Conduct

Default Is there any use for empty cologne bottles?

Last summer I bought my first real bottles of cologne (previously I had used cheaper alternatives like aerosols, or simply went into department stores then went nuts with the testers). Now they have run out and I have two empty bottles. It pains me to think of throwing them out because I spent like $65 each on them, which to me is a lot of money. I like I should get some money back for turning in the bottles somewhere. I guess that is not realistic though right?

After reading other posts on this site I determined it's a good idea for me to keep the bottle caps because if I ever buy a tester without the cap, then I'll have one. But is there anything that can be done to put the empty bottles themselves to good use, or do I just need to bite the bullet stop vexing their ghosts?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is there any use for empty cologne bottles?

Bond No. 9 recycles perfume bottles. If you take an empty perfume bottle of any brand to Bond No. 9 (or the Bond No. 9 counter at Saks Fifth Avenue-- and possibly elsewhere) AND if you buy a bottle of Bond No. 9, they will give you a travel size (Bon Bon) free.

But you have to buy a bottle to get the freebie.

http://www.gcimagazine.com/business/.../12596361.html
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 28th February 2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: added link

Put the empty bottles in your closet or drawers to lightly scent your clothes or in your linen closet to fragrance your towels.

That's why I like the splash bottles. I have a few new Witness ones. I had the option of getting spray or splash, and I went for the splash (the spray was just a bit more expensive). The Witness splash bottles are a great Art Deco design, with a bakelite type of screw top. After using up my first bottle, I cleaned it out and I use it for frags that I purchase in sample form (then decant into the nice Witness splash bottle).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    That's why I like the splash bottles. I have a few new Witness ones. I had the option of getting spray or splash, and I went for the splash (the spray was just a bit more expensive). The Witness splash bottles are a great Art Deco design, with a bakelite type of screw top. After using up my first bottle, I cleaned it out and I use it for frags that I purchase in sample form (then decant into the nice Witness splash bottle).
    How do you clean the bottles out to make them totally 'safe' to put other fragrances in?

I've a guerlain golden bee bottle with crusty bits of previous perfume. It's currently on it's third sterilisation. Will this be safe to put my precious Guerlain Ode in?

Anybody got any advice?

PS. this is the third time I've typed this then it's disappeared.

I have made old perfume bottles into glass candle lamps. If it has a sprayer you can usually prise it off, then you just have to get a glass wick holder, insert a wick, pour in the lamp oil, and bob's your uncle.

Very unique and beautiful, and helps save the planet by recycling too. As a bonus, you can add scent to the oil to fragrance a room.

You could also just create a colourful collection on a sunny windowsill, or use a bottle as a vase for a single flower if you are so inclined. The possibilities are limitless.
    Last edited by Miss Bloom; 4th March 2009 at 04:33 AM.

If I ever empty out a bottle I'd just keep it in my collection.

I actually need a bigger than average nozzle (one the size of chanel fragrances)
    let me know if you got any )
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

You can see if there are any bottle collectors who might be interested in your empty bottles if you donīt see any use in keeping them around yourself but you donīt want to throw them out.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I don't throw them away, because they are "empty" it's like older thropy's.. although, it's useless indeed.
    unico grande amore.

You can't really get all the old scent out no matter what but I refill some of them with water and spritz myself to cool off in hot weather or spray clothes with them when ironing.

That's a really good idea! I tried getting all the old scent out using just about everything - scrubbing, rubbing alcohol, detergents.. even BLEACH. No go.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    You can't really get all the old scent out no matter what but I refill some of them with water and spritz myself to cool off in hot weather or spray clothes with them when ironing.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Get a lab grade glassware cleaner and soak the empty bottle in it overnight. Rinse it with several rinses of water and then several rinses with Everclear or perfumer's alcohol. Repeat if necessary. That will get any residue out (the lab I worked at did trace organic analysis and this procedure would get out all but the most stubborn reagents). If that fails then the only other solution to get rid of perfume residue is pretty drastic but it WILL work, soaking the bottle in a Chromic Acid bath (however, this stuff is very corrosive, very toxic and should only be performed in a lab by someone skilled in lab work).
    Last edited by surreality; 9th March 2009 at 02:51 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Some bottles are worth keeping - Halston's Z-14, Chanel's Antaeus, Molyneaux's Captain, etc. Others are not. I keep the first ones.

I think its worth keeping rare bottles, or if you have a good collection of creeds they still look good together even if they are empty, I decant into sample spray bottles (about 1.5ml) to carry round with me and if they have had a different scent in them you have to thoroughly wash it out about 10 times before you remove the scent of the previous frag.
    Wishlist: Tom Ford Extreme, The One by D&G, 1 Million, Dirty English

get a glass drill bit, turn it into a water pipe.